• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions On October 20th Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder Face off. Which reviews better? Which sells better this holiday?

Spider-Man vs. Mario: Which reviews better? Which sells better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Need my time to win or else the other side wins and I lose. This year has been awful for games so I focus on sales date, more important than actual games. Especially in countries I don't live in.
Awful for games? Or awful for games for you?

Damn it. Now I feel like a fucking idiot for liking Mario Wonder. Knew I shouldn't have bought this piece of shit game. Always go with Marvel, just like I always say 😔

I think this is going to be a lot closer than many people think

Which is why I'm going with Mario Wonder gets a higher MC, Spider-Man 2 will sell more copies.

kid-deal-with-it.gif

🎶 I am your mother, you listen to me 🎵

Last edited:
They're both great numbers all around. I think Mario is going to end up beating Spider-Man 2 despite a strong start. I just have a gut feeling (aka making stuff up) that more people will be getting SMBW as a gift over the holidays. Spider-Man 2 definitely has that blockbuster feel that I think had people eager to play it close to day one. If Spider-Man 2 had a PC launch within the holiday season I think it would be closer.

Spiderman 2 is going to be included in every single PS5 bundle sold this holiday season so no, Mario Wonder isn't going to overtake it this year

At the same time, Nintendo expects to sell roughly 4.5M Switches over the holidays, and Sony 11.5M PS5s, and a lot more of those will be bundles. So I agree with @amara . Then, Peach may well eat into Wonder's legs more than any Sony game.

Spiderman 2 have the advantage in short term.

PS5's momentum is good. Sony will sell it with PS5 in bundle. And the price will fall more quickly.

But in medium/long term, Super Mario Bros Wonder will be stronger ! :)

Does it matter which sells more copies? Mario Wonder will be yet another Nintendo title that is more profitable than the Sony title. Because Spiderman was a AAA budget game. That is why Nintendo net profit every year is sky higher than Sony and will continue to be so. I'd say Sony would kill to be able to sell low budget games like Nintendo and still sell almost as many copies of those compared to having to only make ultra high budget games that reguarly get outsold by Nintendo low budget AA games anyway.

Digital sales not included? Oof. We probably won't know for sure until Nintendo's next financials.
Both companies gave us 2 week sales globally, 5 mill vs 4.3 mill. For talk about lifetime sales of both games we'll need to wait till this time next year to see how both are legging it out.

Both companies gave us 2 week sales globally, 5 mill vs 4.3 mill. For talk about lifetime sales of both games we'll need to wait till this time next year to see how both are legging it out.
The post holiday sales including digital will tell us a lot.

No NPD thread so I'll say here that these Forza numbers look franchise killing bad.

Microsoft will probably give Turn 10 a year of support to turn this around, but if it's still at a terrible player count a year from now, I have to think the Forza Motorsport franchise dies and Turn 10 is asked to make a new car franchise.

Anyway, will be really interested to see how Mario Wonder's legs last over a new console generation. This is a little unprecedented (a game expected to be super leggy releasing one year before a new console) so it will be super interesting to follow.

I have a hot take for both of these games. Both were good obviously, but I think I felt whelmed by both of them. I wasn’t particularly blown away by either one.

Wonder is not going down without a fight. Super surprising result at #2 with only physical in December:

Not that surprising, to be frank. Mainline Mario sells strongly over time and Nintendo usually post a strong December in the US.

We'll have official global numbers in the next 2 to 3 weeks. February 6th for Nintendo, and I'm guessing Sony will report quarterly numbers around the same time.

i remember some journalist telling me on twitter how spiderman 2 is a big deal game and mario wonder just isn't. good times.

We'll have official global numbers in the next 2 to 3 weeks. February 6th for Nintendo, and I'm guessing Sony will report quarterly numbers around the same time.
sony does not report game sales unless they hit a big milestone or want to promote something related to the game.

This is not really an unpopular take, it's not the majority but it's pretty common especially on forums
Good to know! I thought I was crazy when I didn’t think that mario wonder was a goty contender for me, like I was playing it wrong or something

A quick summary:

By the end of October:
  • Sell through: Wonder = 4.3 mi, SM2 = 5 mi
  • Famitsu (Japan) by Oct 29th: Wonder (physical-only) = 801.810, SM2 (physical-only) = 89.857
  • GSD (Europe) Oct top 20: Wonder (physical-only) = 4th place, SM2 = 3rd place
  • NPD (US) Year to date: Wonder (physical-only) = 21st place, SM2 = 4th place

By the end of the year:
  • Famitsu (Japan) by Dec 31th: Wonder (physical-only) = 1.549.401, SM2 (physical-only) = 166.731
  • GSD (Europe) Year to date: Wonder (physical-only) = 9th place, SM2 = 10th place
  • NPD (US) Year to date: Wonder (physical-only) = 12th place, SM2 = 4th place

In Japan, Wonder sold 670k more than SM2 in Nov/Dec and it almost certainly sold more digitally too.

In Europe, Wonder also outsold SM2 in Nov/Dec by a good margin since it was behind in October but ahead for the whole year and there's the digital unaccounted.

In US, SM2 outsold Wonder in Nov but Wonder took Dec, they literally inverted rank positions. Wonder raised a lot of positions in the year to date, but we can't really extrapolate anything there (SM2 could still have sold more in Nov/Dec). SM2 was behind TotK (physical-only) in November and passed it in December. So maybe we can infer a range for SM2 using the next Nintendo report.

With Japan closing the gap, Wonder doing significantly better in Europe and apparently very close results in US to tell which one sold the most there, Wonder is very likely ahead worldwide.

at this point wonder is for sure ahead worldwide. all the rankings/etc we've got so far from non-nintendo sources is omitting digital sales for mario but including them for spiderman.

wonder should be ahead it’s a creative game and not an other superhero game. I think most people are getting tired of superhero games like they are with superhero movies.
I get this is a Nintendo forum but... It's just another 2D platformer lol
Spider man is a pretty unique take on "super hero video game". I can't really think of any like it besides maybe the Batman games.

Spider man is a pretty unique take on "super hero video game". I can't really think of any like it besides maybe the Batman games.
Is it really that unique? This is the 3rd Spider-Man game of this style, and the 7th super hero game of this style (So Batman Arkham Asylum, City, Origins, Knight, Marvel's Spider-Man, Miles-Morales, and finally Spider-Man 2).

wonder should be ahead it’s a creative game and not an other superhero game. I think most people are getting tired of superhero games like they are with superhero movies.
I'm confused by the perception that another 2D Mario sidescroller qualifies as a "creative game", while the third Insomniac superhero game since 2018 makes for oversaturation. Mario must be scoring some bonus points for being our friend.

I don't think either game is in any way creative. They're both wide appeal entries in massive IPs.

Is it really that unique? This is the 3rd Spider-Man game of this style, and the 7th super hero game of this style (So Batman Arkham Asylum, City, Origins, Knight, Marvel's Spider-Man, Miles-Morales, and finally Spider-Man 2).
And 2D platform Mario is the... Dozenth in JUST the Mario series... You named two super heros in general with games

Back
Top Bottom