• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions On October 20th Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder Face off. Which reviews better? Which sells better this holiday?

Spider-Man vs. Mario: Which reviews better? Which sells better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gartooth

Universal Madness
Founder
Pronouns
He/him
We will see the two biggest exclusives of the holiday season arrive on the same day on October 20th. Between Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder we have the tentpole release for the PS5 and Switch respectively.

I am curious to know how people think the games will compare in both critical and commercial reception. For critical reception we will be comparing the overall scores of the two games on OpenCritic.

For sales I figured doing the launch quarter this holiday will be an easier comparison since lifetime totals on Spider-Man 2 may get murky when Sony stops providing clear updates as they will probably roll the games continued sales into a franchise total.

Anyone who thinks $70 Spider-Man on a system with an install base of 40 million will outsell $60 Mario on a system with an install base of 120+ million is kidding themselves. Spider-Man will probably review better though since it's a big AAA story focused open world game, as they always review well.

For sales I figured doing the launch quarter this holiday will be an easier comparison since lifetime totals on Spider-Man 2 may get murky when Sony stops providing clear updates as they will probably roll the games continued sales into a franchise total.
To be honest, even the first quarter might be murky. Sony is likely to provide some update like "reached 12 million in sales in the first 10 weeks" rather than a clean "this exact number as of December 31, 2023". Although, regardless, I think it's quite likely that Wonder fairly comfortably wins in whatever comparison we're able to do.

Reviews could really go either way. I think Spider-Man 2 will probably have a higher Metascore, but I'm not that confident in that bet.

This was a really non-commital post! I'll end with a confident prediction: I'll get both on Day 1 and have a blast with both of them.

I am elated to announce that spiderman will both sell and review better than "mid-rio"

(probably not by much in either respect though)

Spider-Man reviews better, but Mario sells better

But both sell and review incredible relative to their system, install base, and target audience

...how did Spider-man become like one of the only PS exclusives? It feels so surreal for people to actually be hyped for Spider-Man game imo.

Anyways I think Spider-Man will probably review better but Mario will sell better. I also expect angry Sony fans proclaiming 2D games aren't worth such a high review or sales if Mario does better in both categories.

New super mario bros U deluxe already sold >16m copies. The entire Spiderman game franchise including a remaster , a sequel and a pc release was only worth 33m sales all combined.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that Spiderman outsells mario bros wonder

Didn’t we have this thread already?

I actually do think the review scores are going to be much closer than people think
I agree. I think both will fall in the 85-90 range, with both scoring closer to 85 than 90. I’m buying both and I’m sure I’m gonna have a blast playing both.

I am elated to announce that spiderman will both sell and review better than "mid-rio"

(probably not by much in either respect though)
It's supposed to be midio, not mid-rio

I've actually thought about this for almost every nintendo franchise

Mario scores better and does better sales throughout the holidays.

I was gonna say Spider-Man 2 is gonna sell better overall, but then I looked it up and New Super Mario Bros Wii sold like 30m units so I think Mario ends up doing better overall.

Unless it doesn't include playable Rosalina, then Spider-Man 2 do better in both metrics.

Mario takes both, but I'm less confident it wins the review war. I think both will average in the high 80s.

if mario loses on both accounts i will delete my account

cdc.jpg

Copying my reply from the other thread about this:

The best part about this thread is obviously that we won't even have proper numbers to compare because Sony is only going to give us stuff like "Spider-Man 2 has broken the record for mumble mumble becoming the most successful exclusive first-party title based on a beloved comic book character ending in '2'. The entire Spider-Man series has now been played by a kajillion people." Salesheads will cope and seethe and the world will keep on turning.

I'm pretty confident that Mario will sell better. The install base on the switch will really help Mario here. I'm guessing Spider-Man will review better, but not by much. Both will have high average scores.

Mario will definately sell better, 2d Mario is a mega seller and the switch has way more units around than the PS5. Review wise I feel both will be 87-92. I wont be playing either near launch. Holiday mode activate.

The MC is the more interesting question to me, since Mario is going to sell better no question. I think it will be close, but Spider-Man 2 will either match or surpass in reviews.

...how did Spider-man become like one of the only PS exclusives? It feels so surreal for people to actually be hyped for Spider-Man game imo.

Anyways I think Spider-Man will probably review better but Mario will sell better. I also expect angry Sony fans proclaiming 2D games aren't worth such a high review or sales if Mario does better in both categories.
Why is it surreal for people to be hyped for Spider-Man? He's an immensely popular superhero, and Insomniac are great devs! I loved the first game, and as a result, I'm excited for the sequel. I feel like these posts that aim to preemptively dictate the "angry" behavior of another console's fans aren't generally productive.

Why is it surreal for people to be hyped for Spider-Man? He's an immensely popular superhero, and Insomniac are great devs! I loved the first game, and as a result, I'm excited for the sequel. I feel like these posts that aim to preemptively dictate the "angry" behavior of another console's fans aren't generally productive.
You know what they say,

The only people not hyped for a new Spider-Man...
maxresdefault.jpg

Have never tried one

Because the last Spider-Man game I played, not one of the newer ones, was super low budget, and kinda sucked. I know the Insomniac games are high quality, I'm just confused how it ended up being spider man specifically.

I'm immensely hyped for both of them! I'm a little torn on how Meteoritic pans out but there's no way Wonder doesn't solidly beat it.

Edit: Meteoric? Thanks autocorrect. *Metacritic

Last edited:
You know what they say,

The only people not hyped for a new Spider-Man...
maxresdefault.jpg

Have never tried one
I don't care for this at all. I played the first game and it's incredibly mid at best and bad on most days and did nothing to capture my attention. if I wanted to play something good to great from Insomniac I'd be better off playing a Ratchet & Clank game or Sunset Overdrive. If a bad game is more my flavor then sure I'll play SM1

because the first game was extremely fun, of course I'd be excited for a sequel.

And a sequel with LGBT icon Venom, no less! (Though not Eddie Brock Venom, unfortunately)

I think they both review in the high 80’s but Spider-Man probably ends up a bit higher than Wonder if I had to guess.

However I think Wonder sells more and it won’t be particularly close.

The way I see it, both games have roughly the same range (86-91), however I think it's both more likely for Mario to hit in the lower range, AND for Mario to hit on the higher range, than Spider-Man. Like, Spider-Man is looking like a dead 89, maybbbeee light 90, but I think Mario has a chance to surprise by either being very high (91) or fairly low (86).

The most likely for both is still the 86-91 range, of course.

because the first game was extremely fun, of course I'd be excited for a sequel.

And a sequel with LGBT icon Venom, no less! (Though not Eddie Brock Venom, unfortunately)
Again I was never saying the games were bad I just don't think "spiderman" when I think of playstation.

The way I see it, both games have roughly the same range (86-91), however I think it's both more likely for Mario to hit in the lower range, AND for Mario to hit on the higher range, than Spider-Man. Like, Spider-Man is looking like a dead 89, maybbbeee light 90, but I think Mario has a chance to surprise by either being very high (91) or fairly low (86).

The most likely for both is still the 86-91 range, of course.
I fully expect Spider-Man 2 to hit 89 simply because Insomniac is cursed to never breach 90

Spider Man will be goated, Mario will be goated, goat buffet over here! In all seriousness tho, the spider man games weren’t all that IMO, while wonder looks like the best 2D Mario since Mario land 2 on the GB. When it comes to sales, Mario is sweeping.

Very excited for both games! I don't think it's likely Spider-Man outsells Mario, especially if we're looking long term sales. Mario Wonder will probably be picked up for many holidays to come (assuming it's playable on new hardware especially).

As for reviews, I'm doubtful Mario Wonder is taken as seriously as Spider-Man 2 by a lot of folks... But honestly, with how weird it looks, maybe it'll surprise us!

In any case, I think both look great and can't wait for that week to roll around 😁

Honestly I think the sales are gonna be a heck of a lot closer than people think. Spider-Man 2 is gonna have some very long legs as the PS5 playerbase continues to expand.

I'm guessing Spider-Man wins in reviews by maybe a point or so, and Mario wins in sales by a couple million, if that.

Mario will probably be ahead at first but it'll probably get way closer in a few years, whichever ends up ahead.

As far as reviews, it can really go either way. 2D Mario and Insomniac both seem to be "cursed" to get stuck in the 80s but we shall see.

Honestly I think the sales are gonna be a heck of a lot closer than people think. Spider-Man 2 is gonna have some very long legs as the PS5 playerbase continues to expand.
I think you're right. Spider-Man 2018 sold 20 million in just 2 years. That's outselling Super Mario 3 and probably soon after World in 2 years. The sales performance of the rest of the series is more indicative of Miles being a half-sequel and the remaster being more of a double pack / upgrade than a highly advertised product.

I could see and sort of expect the gap to be more than a couple million, but both will sell 30 mil +

Spider-Man is what you get when you go to GameStop and you ask for one (1) game.

Not sure where I'm going with this but it feels right.

Back
Top Bottom