• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club The Massacre in October: Super Mario Bros. Wonder vs Spider-Man 2

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Total voters

Subrosian Link

#TeamJanuary
Pronouns
He/Him
So come October there's going to be a bunch of games coming out. Assassin's Creed Mirage's coming, that game's gonna be real cool. Alan Wake 2 is coming, I think? That's wild. Wild that that's being made. Alone in the Dark is tentatively slated for that month, right? Man. Another one. Detective Pikachu 2's landing; remember when we thought Pikachu had coffee posioning and died? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

But we're not here to talk about those games. We're here to talk about two games. The two biggest games, I think, and which of these titans will end up selling more in the long term.

On the one hand we have Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Mario 2D is the quiet juggernaut of Nintendo's lineup, with the last two mainline entries casually strolling past the ten million unit mark, and the Switch audience eager as all get out to sink their teeth into a game that will let them live out the most extreme of all video game fantasies: going on drugs. God knows it'll be my first drug Mario.

On the other hand we have Marvel's Spider-Man 2, a follow up of the seminal classic that people have been asking for since the Playstation 4 days. Marvel's Spider-Man's the best-selling single SKU in franchise history, and speaks to an audience who want both the classic Spider-Man and also something more akin to the recent Miles Morales. Spider-Man fans want this one, and some of these are waking up for the first time in a long time.

Which of these two games will sell more over the course of time? Can Super Mario Bros really be that popular, I mean really? Can Spider-Man overcome the problem that it has two spiders while drugs could make you see thousands of them, maybe more? But, in the end, with only one real movie in its franchise, can Mario even compete against three different cinematic sagas of Peter's adventures? Is there an upper limit for these games? Where will they land?

In this completely arbitrary comparison, brought on by close release dates and the sadness of Mario and Peter Parker not standing next to each other in the Smash Ultimate banner, which one will be played by more people? Let's hear everyone's thoughts on which and on why. More than this, can any one of them even come close to FF7R?

Spider-Man 2, probably. PS5 has a number of years more left than the Switch does.

I know that's not the only factor, but Spider-Man 1 put up some big numbers, and I think it has the advantage of time.

Now, just by the end of 2023, things may look different.

It's really harder to predict than I first thought when clicking here.
Mario has a lot of potential, with NSMB Wii selling around 30m in its lifetime and NSMB Deluxe selling around 15m. Even with Switch slowing down, I think it should sell at least as well as the latter.
Spidey on the other hand is a long-awaited sequel and its predecessor moved 30 million units between PS4 and 5, though only around 13m in its first year.

Launch window? Probably Mario. Long term I'm leaning towards Spider-Man because it will also eventually release on PC 🤔

Man, Remedy must be feeling confident right now

… … I’m sorry

I feel it might be biased to say Mario on a Nintendo forum, but while both games have a respective film doing gangbusters in theatres commercially and critically, I'm not sure how many people own a PS5 to play Spider-Man compared to the amount of people who own a Switch to play Mario.

I mean, even if it were fair to compare a 38.5m to 125m install base, I think cutting down the Switch install base and eventual Mario lifetime sales to a third to compare, it'll still outsell Spider-Man 2 (at least until it comes to PC, but even then I still think Mario will reign supreme at full numbers)

2023- Mario should outsell Spider-Man given the difference in install base alone.

Over the course time- Spider-Man will have the longer legs. I feel pretty confident in that.

Death Stranding vs. Luigi's Mansion all over again.

FF7 Remake vs Animal Crossing all over again.

You NEVER bet against Nintendo showcase games and their sales potential.
Well at least Spider Man makes this an interesting fight. In all good fun too. Both games will probably do great reviews and sales wise.

fetchimage

Me on my way to buy both on October 20th.

I think Mario will definitely have a stronger launch, but I'm currently leading towards spiderman will barely clinch it in the long run.

There are two reasons for this:

First, both are games with extremely long tails. However, the mario game is coming at the end of the switches life, and in almost every historical case, software sales do fall off with the following console releasing. However if they do Super Mario Bros wonder deluxe on Switch 2, it'll be a complete cakewalk in the plumbers favour.

Second, Spiderman will get aggressive pricecuts that Mario won't. It'll also be multi platform on Steam eventually, inevitably.

In terms of revenue though, Mario is certainly going to absolutely destroy Spiderman and it won't be close.

I feel bad for Spider-Man. Mario is gonna probably set another record and he talked about for the month.

Y'all know the first Spider-Man sold over 30m copies right? I personally don't think Wonder will reach that at all
think of how many people owned PS4s at that point vs how many people own PS5s now vs how many people own Switch now

think of how many people owned PS4s at that point vs how many people own PS5s now vs how many people own Switch now
It's not like Spider-Man sold 30m+ in its first quarter. Spider-Man 2 is releasing earlier in the PS5's lifetime than the first one did in the PS4's lifetime. It will keep selling for many years. There is no doubt its legs are going to be ridiculous

It's not like Spider-Man sold 30m+ in its first quarter. Spider-Man 2 is releasing earlier in the PS5's lifetime than the first one did in the PS4's lifetime. It will keep selling for many years. There is no doubt its legs are going to be ridiculous
Even if you think the Switch is almost through, the Switch 2 will be backwards compatible. I think Mario will have similar legs to Mario Kart or BotW

I'll be getting Mario as I don't own a PS5 and I thought the first Spider-man game was only okay.

So come October there's going to be a bunch of games coming out. Assassin's Creed Mirage's coming, that game's gonna be real cool. Alan Wake 2 is coming, I think? That's wild. Wild that that's being made. Alone in the Dark is tentatively slated for that month, right? Man. Another one. Detective Pikachu 2's landing; remember when we thought Pikachu had coffee posioning and died? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

But we're not here to talk about those games. We're here to talk about two games. The two biggest games, I think, and which of these titans will end up selling more in the long term.

On the one hand we have Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Mario 2D is the quiet juggernaut of Nintendo's lineup, with the last two mainline entries casually strolling past the ten million unit mark, and the Switch audience eager as all get out to sink their teeth into a game that will let them live out the most extreme of all video game fantasies: going on drugs. God knows it'll be my first drug Mario.

On the other hand we have Marvel's Spider-Man 2, a follow up of the seminal classic that people have been asking for since the Playstation 4 days. Marvel's Spider-Man's the best-selling single SKU in franchise history, and speaks to an audience who want both the classic Spider-Man and also something more akin to the recent Miles Morales. Spider-Man fans want this one, and some of these are waking up for the first time in a long time.

Which of these two games will sell more over the course of time? Can Super Mario Bros really be that popular, I mean really? Can Spider-Man overcome the problem that it has two spiders while drugs could make you see thousands of them, maybe more? But, in the end, with only one real movie in its franchise, can Mario even compete against three different cinematic sagas of Peter's adventures? Is there an upper limit for these games? Where will they land?

In this completely arbitrary comparison, brought on by close release dates and the sadness of Mario and Peter Parker not standing next to each other in the Smash Ultimate banner, which one will be played by more people? Let's hear everyone's thoughts on which and on why. More than this, can any one of them even come close to FF7R?

X6ZMCMs.png

Some actual numbers:

According to Sony, the sales for both "Spider-Man (PS4)" and "Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4 & PS5)" combined: 33 million prior to the PC release.

Additionally, Sony's biggest first party launch in PS history is "God of War Ragnarök (PS4 & PS5)" with 5.1 million copies in the first week (Both Scarlet / Violet & TotK doubled it in fewer days).

Something would have to go horribly wrong for Wonder to be unable to beat both the launch & lifetime sales of "Spider-Man 2 (PS5)".

Hellblade 2, definitely coming this year according to trusted people on Twitter, will outsell both of them.

People are gonna rush out to emulate Mario on PC while they have to wait for the Spidey port for at least another year. It won’t be close.

At first, I voted Spiderman, because I for some reason thought it was releasing on pc as well. But Sony doesn't do that. And I also remembered 2D Mario sells better than 3D Mario.

Though I think they'll be closer than some people might expect, but Mario Wonder will still outsell it.

Some actual numbers:

According to Sony, the sales for both "Spider-Man (PS4)" and "Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4 & PS5)" combined: 33 million prior to the PC release.

Additionally, Sony's biggest first party launch in PS history is "God of War Ragnarök (PS4 & PS5)" with 5.1 million copies in the first week (Both Scarlet / Violet & TotK doubled it in fewer days).

Something would have to go horribly wrong for Wonder to be unable to beat both the launch & lifetime sales of "Spider-Man 2 (PS5)".
If Spider-Man 2 sells similarly to Spider-Man just on PS4, it's realist that SMBW outsells the lifetime sales of Spiderman 2 in the first month lol

Edit: I just read the news about Titan, so it would be better to write about October instead of using meme which wouldn't be very appropriate right now, sorry if I offended someone with it.

Mario would sell the most, Spider-Man 2 would be second, but (sadly) Alan Wake 2 would be destroyed by this two.

Last edited:
Y'all know the first Spider-Man sold over 30m copies right? I personally don't think Wonder will reach that at all
Don't Sony's franchises historically tend to stagnate rather quickly before they move on to new IP's? Spiderman is a licensed movie property here so that may not be the case but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it sell less than original Spiderman, but you are wrong about that number it's both Spiderman games combined.

Mario will sell more either way and generate much higher profit margins as I'd imagine development is quite a bit cheaper.

People are gonna rush out to emulate Mario on PC while they have to wait for the Spidey port for at least another year. It won’t be close.
The Nintendo PC emulation crowd is pretty niche no? I doubt that will play much of a factor.

Last edited:
At first, I voted Spiderman, because I for some reason thought it was releasing on pc as well. But Sony doesn't do that. And I also remembered 2D Mario sells better than 3D Mario.
To be fair, it will most likely eventually release on PC too 👀

The best part about this thread is obviously that we won't even have proper numbers to compare because Sony is only going to give us stuff like "Spider-Man 2 has broken the record for mumble mumble becoming the most successful exclusive first-party title based on a beloved comic book character ending in '2'. The entire Spider-Man series has now been played by a kajillion people." Salesheads will cope and seethe and the world will keep on turning.

Probably going to be the best selling Mario ever because Nintendo will sell this for another 5 plus years. Mario Wonder looks great too and coming off of the movie it will do wonders. Spiderman never had a chance.

Spider-Man looks dull, the exact same frikkin game I’ve played twice already in 2018 and 2020. I will likely check it out eventually but not for $90 day one.

Mario looks interesting, Spider Man does not so it’s an easy choice for me, but they both will sell bonkers.

Make no mistake about it: I find that the console war does not make sense, there are great games and consoles everywhere and we live in a rather wonderful time from a qualitative point of view.

But I can’t help but find the rage of mutual hatred between Sony and Nintendo extremely fun.

When Sony opposes the Microsoft/ABK merger, they say publicly something like "Microsoft wants us so much harm that they want to reduce us to a miserable Nintendo."

When Nintendo releases its first Mario 2D in 11 years, they specifically try to mess with Spiderman 2 by releasing it exactly the same day.

This is all pretty funny.

The best part about this thread is obviously that we won't even have proper numbers to compare because Sony is only going to give us stuff like "Spider-Man 2 has broken the record for mumble mumble becoming the most successful exclusive first-party title based on a beloved comic book character ending in '2'. The entire Spider-Man series has now been played by a kajillion people." Salesheads will cope and seethe and the world will keep on turning.
lol, yeah. it's not like sony gives regular updates on most of their games. the only context we'll have will be sales charts which will be hard to judge since nintendo doesn't share digital info.

Back
Top Bottom