• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation On his last day as Playstation CEO, Jim Ryan said the PS2 sold 160 million units lifetime

Sony preparing PS2 mini to increase the count

Seriously though I reckon Switch will get there probably get there a year after switch 2 release

Seriously though, nice to get official confirmation of the PS2's sales numbers. Console was a monster in it's time.

Yeah but it was a complete different situation. These days, playing dvd movies were a huge thing. A ps2 console was cheaper than most if not all dvd drives, which means that there were also people out there that bought this for playing movies only... unlike switch or ds.

Yes, PS2 was a glorified DVD player so its record should not count. Now that I think about it, Switch's sales are also inflated because so many households have more than one since it's a handheld console and not a real home console.

Honestly, looking at the list of top selling systems, the actual best selling console of all time is the SEGA Master System when factoring in all these variables that should be taken into account.

Jim Ryan as he is about to walk out the door while staring down the Nintendo CEO...

mic-drop.gif
Nintendo: Hold my beer.

delays Switch 2 to Fall 2025 and drops a Switch Micro for $200 bundled with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Holiday 2024

Yes, PS2 was a glorified DVD player so its record should not count. Now that I think about it, Switch's sales are also inflated because so many households have more than one since it's a handheld console and not a real home console.

Honestly, looking at the list of top selling systems, the actual best selling console of all time is the SEGA Master System when factoring in all these variables that should be taken into account.
Congrats to SEGA!

A unit sold is a unit sold. Regardless of how the person who bought is gonna use it.

The funniest outcome of this would be the Switch selling like 158M and both Nintendo and Sony claiming to have the number 1 spot at the same time. Although I don’t get why people are so invested on the Switch becoming the highest selling console of all time (or the PS2 staying the highest selling console of all time). @ngpdrew was right: numbers must be stopped
Being the best-selling console of all time has some historical value. It’s not as if it’s extremely important, I agree, but it’s not anecdotal at all, and it doesn’t surprise me that it’s important for Playstation.

And I do not think that the presence of a cheap DVD player minimizes the success of the Playstation 2, in the same way that if the switch manages to dethrone it, this cannot be minimized by special circumstances such as covid.

A unit sold is a unit sold. Regardless of how the person who bought is gonna use it.
Yep. And its not even true.

PlayStation 2 has the highest software sold for any console

EDIT correction - Master system has the highest software ratio - over 20. amazing

SonyPlayStation 220001,5209.81[4]
NintendoNintendo Switch20171,200.108.25[5]
SonyPlayStation19949629.43[6]
NintendoNintendo DS2006948.616.16[5]
NintendoWii2006919.819.05[5]
SonyPlayStation 32006748.98.92

Last edited:
EDIT correction - Master system has the highest software ratio - over 20.
Pretty sure that's inflated because iirc Brazil sold master system based consoles with multiple games pre installed.

By that logic, SNES and NES classic should have a really high ratio.

Back
Top Bottom