• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation On his last day as Playstation CEO, Jim Ryan said the PS2 sold 160 million units lifetime

Sony:
200w.gif

Seriously though, nice to get official confirmation of the PS2's sales numbers. Console was a monster in it's time.

Something worth mentioning I think as I've seen some debate as to the accuracy of this, on the very next point after he mentioned this he made a very clear error. From quotes I've read he apparently said the most memorable PS moment for him in the 2010s was the "birth" of the Uncharted series. Uncharted Drake's Deception came out in 2007. Heck the second game came out in 2009, so quite clearly an error. And that was the more recent of the events when compared to what he said prior to this which the thread is about.

Seems like off the cuff comments made on podcasts are to be taken with a grain of salt I think...

So happy Jim is no longer CEO and quitting, I hated almost everything he had to say about Sony or PlayStation. I'm hoping Hiroki Totoki can have things back on track to the success Yoshida left and improve from there.

I agree with everyone else here, seems pretty suspicious. Why would he make such a claim as if he ever ran PlayStation and had access to such information?

This seems in line with the guesstimates people made based on combined PS2/PS3 sales and later announcements of PS3 sales. Not really shocking.

Don't really know why people are acting like he's saying this just to artifically inflate PS2's record and stave off the Switch overtaking the PS2, that's cringe as hell

This seems in line with the guesstimates people made based on combined PS2/PS3 sales and later announcements of PS3 sales. Not really shocking.

Don't really know why people are acting like he's saying this just to artifically inflate PS2's record and stave off the Switch overtaking the PS2, that's cringe as hell

It could have just been a mistake, like I alluded to by looking at the very next thing he said, there doesn't need to be an ulterior motive.

There's no cringe console war adjacent reason for him to lie about when the first Uncharted game came out, yet he got that totally wrong.

It could have just been a mistake, like I alluded to by looking at the very next thing he said, there doesn't need to be an ulterior motive.
The very first reply in this thread implied an ulterior motive. That may well have been a joke but I guarantee you there are people on this board who would believe it lol
There's no cringe console war adjacent reason for him to lie about when the first Uncharted game came out, yet he got that totally wrong.
I don't think him making a totally unrelated error is particularly compelling evidence of this being wrong, but sure, he could have made a mistake

The very first reply in this thread implied an ulterior motive. That may well have been a joke but I guarantee you there are people on this board who would believe it lol

I don't think him making a totally unrelated error is particularly compelling evidence of this being wrong, but sure, he could have made a mistake

That's totally fair and true! I'm not speaking for anyone else other than myself, all I'm saying is that I think there's a higher chance of this being incorrect than official data, people make mistakes all the time in informal situations/conversations about things that don't matter, even about things that they should know. For example, I've played every Uncharted game to its ending and I got the name of the first game wrong just there!

Gonna leave it as is for posterity though.

A few years back, industry analysts pinpointed the sell number as between 159m-161m, so this isn't that big of a revelation.

I don't think Jim saying that the PS2 hit 160m is very controversial. That number is most likely with 1m of the actual number.

So happy Jim is no longer CEO and quitting, I hated almost everything he had to say about Sony or PlayStation. I'm hoping Hiroki Totoki can have things back on track to the success Yoshida left and improve from there.
I'm going to be optimistically pessimistic. I think the next two years for PlayStation will be rough. I do think Totoki is gonna fix things and we will see a resurgence of that late PS3 / early PS4 era Sony, but he is going to burn it all down first before fixing it.

Just sounds like he rounded up to the nearest ten while speaking, it’s not like it’s a sales document or something. Seems like a bit of a nothingburger to me when PS2 can’t have been far off that.

you know not making another console that could beat that record might be a reason why growth is stunted lmao.

PlayStation 2, man. What a console.

Keep in mind that Totoki is a money/finance guy first and foremost. His biggest goal is going to be cutting costs and raising profit margins anyway possible. He isn't going to be a "gamers first" ceo at PlayStation.

I hope the newly added units were entirely bought by people who randomly found the system at a store years after it was discontinued. (Considering how long they kept making them, it seems fairly likely)

like that one random Wii U sale that happened last September.

Jimothy is shook

Though I guess if Nintendo bungles Switch 2 launch as badly as Sony did the PS3, Switch could still pass this

Real talk though he's probably rounding a bit, though it's nice to have something

The funniest outcome of this would be the Switch selling like 158M and both Nintendo and Sony claiming to have the number 1 spot at the same time. Although I don’t get why people are so invested on the Switch becoming the highest selling console of all time (or the PS2 staying the highest selling console of all time). @ngpdrew was right: numbers must be stopped

The funniest outcome of this would be the Switch selling like 158M and both Nintendo and Sony claiming to have the number 1 spot at the same time. Although I don’t get why people are so invested on the Switch becoming the highest selling console of all time (or the PS2 staying the highest selling console of all time). @ngpdrew was right: numbers must be stopped
What good are my interests if they don't allow me to point at numbers that are bigger than the numbers my enemies get to point at?

Nah, I don't believe you *gif

I’m not even sure their actual PS5 shipping numbers are accurate either.

They’re just coping the fact that they’re losing relevance and power in the industry.

Everybody knows that unless the switch becomes the best selling console of all time it will still be considered a flop. That’s why it’s important. And of course even if it sells more than the ps2 it would still need to outsell the wii and ds combined to be considered a success.
Nintendo can’t be successful because only a struggling nintendo is good.

I think those people are mostly joking, but I also doubt the guy was giving a precise answer from official data rather than just rounding.

What good are my interests if they don't allow me to point at numbers that are bigger than the numbers my enemies get to point at?
what is human civilization but pointing at numbers
Switch still hasn’t had a price cut so I cant see that staying the record.
don't think nintendo even needs a price cut just supporting it and manufacturing should be enough to get it across the finish line. a price cut will just accelerate it.

Nah, I don't believe you *gif

I’m not even sure their actual PS5 shipping numbers are accurate either.

They’re just coping the fact that they’re losing relevance and power in the industry.

What are you basing that on?

Suggesting that Sony is lying about their PS5 shipped numbers is saying that Sony is directly lying to shareholders. That is a huge no no, and it would come with serious penalties from regulatory boards.

I mean I'm a fan of RPGs soooo

Although I don’t get why people are so invested on the Switch becoming the highest selling console of all time (or the PS2 staying the highest selling console of all time)
Yeah like it would be interesting to see official records toppled, but otherwise it's not really worth wringing hands over. Nintendo is making money hand over fist anyway

Back
Top Bottom