• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data October (2021) NPD: Switch #1 in units & dollars, Far Cry 6 #1, Back 4 Blood #2, Metroid Dread #3, Mario Party Superstars #8

That's awesome. Do you know what were the other 2 years/platforms? I'm guessing at least one of them is Switch 2020? Iirc it did around 800k or something?
Will have to check again, but I believe Wii in October 2008 sold 803K units, and of course Switch last October 2020 sold 736K units. Though this year OLED would have pushed Switch to the top spot if not for supply constraints.

Will have to check again, but I believe Wii in October 2008 sold 803K units, and of course Switch last October 2020 sold 736K units. Though this year OLED would have pushed Switch to the top spot if not for supply constraints.
Very unlikely but it sure would be a sight to see if OLED gave the momentum for team 2021 to beat team 2020. Still great to see a 2017 system still selling this well.

Or normal legs. It isn't Breath of the Wild or a Mario Kart. All of November's sales are concentrated around Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. Sales of games generally go Big first week then a 60% drop then another 60% before settling a steady amount

Spare the condescing replies will ya? 140k physical + digital for a 10/10 core exclusive in in week 4/5/6 for November 1st/15th isn’t Mario Kart legs by any means lol. Also, I’ve said that I’d be awfully disappointed, not that it’d be a disaster.

I legit think the Nintendo Switch system has three to four years of its lifecycle left. I have never seen this in a console before in my lifetime. Really crazy.

Its nice that in its 5th year, Switch sales were +700k.

To put in perspective, in its 5th october, Wii sales were 250k (2011), while NDS were 456k (2009).

Do we know whats its LTD in USA? (roughly) And whats its LTD in Americas throughout Nintendo shipments (until september 30th).

Lol 3 million… I wish! :p
900k is more like it.

Actually, at launch (November NPD) Prime did 359k and ltd is 1.3M not 1.5m.
I don’t know if the Player Choice’s
Sku is counted or not.

It’s fair to say that Dread should be sitting at around 1.2M/1.3M with digital in the US
I was extracting potential lifetime numbers from the launch disparity. And the US LTD for Prime according to Wikipedia is 1.49 million, after first-month sales of 363K. The difference in 1st-month launch sales is 135%. Accounting for the fact that Dread had a whole extra week in its launch month but also for the fact that most of its sales are going to be first-week anyways, the difference could be calculated more fairly at 100%, or double.

The Player's Choice SKU would be counted in the LTD for Prime if the number was collected in July 2006 like Wikipedia mentions, since Prime hit Player's Choice in 2004.

With those new numbers, ~3 million for Dread's US LTD sounds entirely possible, especially thanks to the disparity in hardware install bases between Gamecube and Switch.

Switch is gonna do >20M for the third year in a row, PS4 didn't do that once.

Unless you're strictly speaking US sales.

we never mentioned sales numbers or install base in both my post and the one I’ve quoted. It was regarding never having seen a lifecycle as long as Switch’s (which btw is all to prove yet since we’re just in its 5th year and there’s still a loooong road ahead); we’ll see if OG Switch will get the same support in 4 years that PS4 is still getting in 2022.

Don’t know where you got this YtD discussion from, not in my post tho.

In terms of Nintendo consoles.

Ah ok, well you said “I’ve never seen this in a console before in my lifetime” so it didn’t seem like you were strictly referring to just Nintendo at all, pardon me then. While the Wii had dried up well before the WiiU (6 years gap) the NES kept going for a while and it’s fair to say it had a good 6/7 years of support. I dunno if OG Switch will keep going until the end of 2025 like you think, I don’t think so but even more than that, I sure hope not :p

Ah ok, well you said “I’ve never seen this in a console before in my lifetime” so it didn’t seem like you were strictly referring to just Nintendo at all, pardon me then. While the Wii had dried up well before the WiiU (6 years gap) the NES kept going for a while and it’s fair to say it had a good 6/7 years of support. I dunno if OG Switch will keep going until the end of 2025 like you think, I don’t think so but even more than that, I sure hope not :p
I could see the Switch lasting 8 to 10 years.

You could see OG Switch getting meaningful support (not FIFA 2030 legacy edion) in 2026? I wish I were a betting man :p Also, I hope I’m right and that you are not ahah :)
TBF, I could see the Switch still getting indie releases or even some lower end Nintendo games for quite sometime after the Switch 2 is out, albeit closer to 8 or 9 years rather than 10 years. After all, it'll be BC and the games would be easily purchasable online too

we never mentioned sales numbers or install base in both my post and the one I’ve quoted. It was regarding never having seen a lifecycle as long as Switch’s (which btw is all to prove yet since we’re just in its 5th year and there’s still a loooong road ahead); we’ll see if OG Switch will get the same support in 4 years that PS4 is still getting in 2022.

Don’t know where you got this YtD discussion from, not in my post tho.
I assumed he meant 3-4 more years of high sales, and that he hadn't seen sales this high at this point in a console's lifecycle before.

My fault for making that assumption, you are correct.

TBF, I could see the Switch still getting indie releases or even some lower end Nintendo games for quite sometime after the Switch 2 is out, albeit closer to 8 or 9 years rather than 10 years. After all, it'll be BC and the games would be easily purchasable online too

Well I’ve said meaningful support.
PS4 is basically getting everything that it’s out on Xbox Series/PS5 and will get tentpole releases like GT7, Horizon 2, God of War Ragnarok etc. in 2022, its 9th year on the market. Xbox is getting Halo Infinity, just got FH5 and is going to probably still get notable releases in 2023, it’s 10th year on the market.

A far cry from hypothetical indie games and low-end Nintendo releases in Switch’s 8th/9th years.

PS4’s longevity has been astounding and thanks to its specs being a bit beefier than Xbox One’s, it still delivers jawdropping visuals with more than acceptable i.q. to this day, with cross-gen releases still hitting 900p/1080p; Xbox One has made incredible strides and what it has achieved has been incredible for consumers especially consider where Xbox was sitting during 2013/2017.

I wish I was still as interested in games-on-tv, my game time is basically 75% Switch, 10% FIFA on PS4, 5% Xbox Gamepass and 10% Oculus Quest 2.
For Switch, 99% of my time with it is in portable mode.

Well I’ve said meaningful support.
PS4 is basically getting everything that it’s out on Xbox Series/PS5 and will get tentpole releases like GT7, Horizon 2, God of War Ragnarok etc. in 2022, its 9th year on the market. Xbox is getting Halo Infinity, just got FH5 and is going to probably still get notable releases in 2023, it’s 10th year on the market.

A far cry from hypothetical indie games and low-end Nintendo releases in Switch’s 8th/9th years.

PS4’s longevity has been astounding and thanks to its specs being a bit beefier than Xbox One’s, it still delivers jawdropping visuals with more than acceptable i.q. to this day, with cross-gen releases still hitting 900p/1080p; Xbox One has made incredible strides and what it has achieved has been incredible for consumers especially consider where Xbox was sitting during 2013/2017.

I wish I was still as interested in games-on-tv, my game time is basically 75% Switch, 10% FIFA on PS4, 5% Xbox Gamepass and 10% Oculus Quest 2.
For Switch, 99% of my time with it is in portable mode.
Well I do think the person before you meant support in general and not necessarily the big stuff, like Smash, 3D Mario, etc.

TBF, I don't think most were expecting those releases so late in the PS4's lifespan and, for many, that might be more of a disappointment as it'd mean they have to wait longer for those series to take proper advantage of the newer system's hardware. Even I kinda feel like someone would be better off on waiting to get them when they have more notable next-gen only games. With the pandemic, a lot of next gen only plans might have been rethunk to also be cross gen. Plus I imagine it also helps that they have strong 3rd party support and specs to sell their systems so they can keep stuff cross gen for a little while whereas Nintendo systems live and die from their 1st party output so they have more of a reason to quickly shift to newer systems

Well, by low end, I mean stuff like remasters or your Captain Toad or Fire Emblem remake type of games but, yeah, I'm not expecting something like a 3D Mario to come out on the Switch while the Switch 2 has been out for a while, unless its cross gen or an enhanced remaster of what the Switch got late into its life

Oh yeah, no denying that good work has been done on both systems so that they're viable for so long. In all honesty, more extended generations should be the expected norm now, especially when games can so easily be cross gen and get some performance / visual improvements on the newer systems

Hey I feel you there. Aside from your more cinematic and narrative driven experiences, hardcore action games, or multiplayer games, I much prefer playing handhelds

Last edited:
About 31M.
Might pass PS4 total sales in US in December.
Oh thanks for the reply.

Interesting that it may pass PS4 LTD. I imagine that PS4 is around 35/36 million right?

And IIRC NES sold around 30 million, so Switch has already passed it, PS1 is the same as PS4. Next would be the +40 million club that consists of GBA, Wii, X360, PS2 and NDS (i think that the order from lowest to highest).

Switch has a shoot of getting near Wii sales by end 2022 or early 2023. Depends on lots of factors though.

Oh thanks for the reply.

Interesting that it may pass PS4 LTD. I imagine that PS4 is around 35/36 million right?

And IIRC NES sold around 30 million, so Switch has already passed it, PS1 is the same as PS4. Next would be the +40 million club that consists of GBA, Wii, X360, PS2 and NDS (i think that the order from lowest to highest).

Switch has a shoot of getting near Wii sales by end 2022 or early 2023. Depends on lots of factors though.
Man the X360 truly was a beast in NA/US, it changed everything

Man the X360 truly was a beast in NA/US, it changed everything
I'm more impressed by the GBA considering its succesor was released only 3 years into its lifespan.

That little device must have outsold even the PS2 during its prime. The PS2 just kept selling long after the PS3 released (mostly in economically less developped countries where piracy was rife, so Sony never saw much profit of it).

My source is this video:

I'm more impressed by the GBA considering its succesor was released only 3 years into its lifespan.

That little device must have outsold even the PS2 during its prime. The PS2 just kept selling long after the PS3 released (mostly in economically less developped countries where piracy was rife, so Sony never saw much profit of it).

My source is this video:

I remember the NPD threads when GBA kept outselling PS3 for a few months. Good times.

Oh thanks for the reply.

NSW has already outsold PS1 in US.
GBA is lower than 40M, DS over 50M.

Back
Top Bottom