• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data October (2021) NPD: Switch #1 in units & dollars, Far Cry 6 #1, Back 4 Blood #2, Metroid Dread #3, Mario Party Superstars #8

wonder if dread would have been able to place higher without all that emulator business
The number of people who are capable of emulating Switch games, and would have bought Dread otherwise, but didn't because they could emulate it, is going to be insignificant to the overall figures

Switch is going to have such a wonderful story in hindsight. Many of the tentpole IPs all having their best showing on one platform.

Very pleased for Dread's success. The best compliment I can give it is that as soon as I completed it, my first thought was "I must now go and play every other Metroid game". Definitely scratched the right itch and deserves every success.

The Prime 1 remake should do quite well next year. Switch has so much gas left in the tank. 2022 is going to be nuts.

Gene Park deleted his tweet about 854k being worldwide so the article was correct all along.

I said it on IB but it's absolutely ridiculous that a console soon entering it's sixth year on the market is still dealing with crippling supply issues.

I said it on IB but it's absolutely ridiculous that a console soon entering it's sixth year on the market is still dealing with crippling supply issues.
Well, Dane Switch probably continues that streak when it presumably comes in 2023.

Code:
NSW METROID DREAD              854,000
GCN METROID PRIME              363,000
WII METROID PRIME 3 CORRUPTION 218,000
GBA METROID FUSION             199,000
GCN METROID PRIME 2 ECHOES     192,000
WII METROID OTHER M            173,000
GBA METROID ZERO MISSION       151,000
NDS METROID PRIME HUNTERS      122,000
WII METROID PRIME TRILOGY       34,000
NDS METROID PRIME PINBALL        6,000
Now THAT'S impressive
Damn 0-0.

lifetime

Code:
GCN METROID PRIME                1,346,000
GBA METROID FUSION                 946,000
NSW METROID DREAD                  854,000
WII METROID PRIME 3 CORRUPTION     749,000
GCN METROID PRIME 2 ECHOES         749,000
GBA METROID ZERO MISSION           482,000
NDS METROID PRIME HUNTERS          473,000
WII METROID OTHER M                349,000
WII METROID PRIME TRILOGY          255,000
NDS METROID PRIME PINBALL          175,000
Wikipedia has a 1.49m for Prime as of 2006.
Still, damn, 3rd best selling in just one month.

Okay so the two queens are back 👁️👄👁️💅.
Nintendo with Switch being back as best selling hardware (and people thought the reign was over LOL) and Samus with Dread being 850k US FIRST MONTH ALONE.
Hell yeah!!!

Last edited:
lifetime

Code:
GCN METROID PRIME                1,346,000
GBA METROID FUSION                 946,000
NSW METROID DREAD                  854,000
WII METROID PRIME 3 CORRUPTION     749,000
GCN METROID PRIME 2 ECHOES         749,000
GBA METROID ZERO MISSION           482,000
NDS METROID PRIME HUNTERS          473,000
WII METROID OTHER M                349,000
WII METROID PRIME TRILOGY          255,000
NDS METROID PRIME PINBALL          175,000

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

I mean, it's Zelda. I wouldn't use that as evidence
Compare the numbers of LA Switch with the 2D Zelda games that released before. Its more about the sales of these 2D iterations on Switch compared to previous entrys, not that Metroid is suddenly as big of an IP as Zelda.

While Metroid's performance is amazing as expected, I want to point out that Mario Party Superstars made 8th place for the month in 3 DAYS.

3. DAYS.

Don't sleep on Mario Party SS everyone, I'm predicting a very high spot for November for it. I need DLC ASAP NINTENDO!

I am not really a fan of The Legend of Zelda series, but Breath of the Wild is truly special. Probably the best game ever.

This charting at the full price almost 5 years since its launch it is really beautiful to see.
NPD is revenue-based, so BOTW being full price actually helps it here.

Incredible and well deserved sales for Dread. Best selling game in the series is basically locked in, hopefully it can make the climb to 5 million.

Dread will easily pass Prime, should be halfway there already. now im curious how the Prime remake will perform versus the original.

also, would Dread be mercurysteam's most successful game so far? wish they're still on board for the Metroid franchise, a new 2d game launching early for the next system would be amazing.

While Metroid's performance is amazing as expected, I want to point out that Mario Party Superstars made 8th place for the month in 3 DAYS.

3. DAYS.

Don't sleep on Mario Party SS everyone, I'm predicting a very high spot for November for it. I need DLC ASAP NINTENDO!

Real fun game, hope it sells at least half as well as Super Mario Party's monstrous sales.

I don't know who are these people on switch that just buy everything in drove but thank you!
Now I can keep hoping for a non linear 3d third person metroid. I feel like it's something that was maybe played around in Dread, looking at some of the backgrounds and that speedboost facing the player glitch.

Dread is going to be the best selling Metroid
until Prime 4 is out.

Metroid's great sales aside, let's not forget this is a really solid debut for Back 4 Blood as well, especially given it was also on Gamepass. There really is a hunger for those kind of coop shooters in the market it seems.

Very good start for Mario Party Superstars too, it'll likely keep on selling under the radar rather well indeed. Amazing to see just how that series has exploded in popularity on Switch. Maybe having online play has truly benefitted it, I've enjoyed watching streamers play it

According to recorded numbers, Prime did just 1.5 million in the US LTD. So if Dread follows the exact same sales pattern as Prime did and has similar legs (read: almost none) but at double the sales rate like it has at launch according to NPD, the minimum expectation from that opening sales figure is 3 million units LTD in the US alone. Which would mean US sales alone would make it the best-selling Metroid game of all time. Who knows what European numbers will add to that, won't know until January when Nintendo publishes figures for their Q3.
Not bad for a "modest hit".
Lol 3 million… I wish! :p
900k is more like it.

Actually, at launch (November NPD) Prime did 359k and ltd is 1.3M not 1.5m.
I don’t know if the Player Choice’s
Sku is counted or not.

It’s fair to say that Dread should be sitting at around 1.2M/1.3M with digital in the US

Keep in mind it's by dollars, so a little under doubled untits (~370k $50 Prime debut NPD means ~600k $60 Dread). Of course this is also just packaged and Dread has digital too.

Errmm what? That’s not how you do that math, or is it? Triple the dollar sales… don’t you go 370x50 and then 3x that figure? Then divide by $60 and you get the units. Am I screwing it up, do I need to go back to my teenage years’ math books?
edit: Whoops triple post I thought I was multi-quoting, sorry
Edit: 2 Lol I see there’s an official figure, cool I said around 900k so close enough
Edit 3: The Pr in the op initially said TRIPLE the dollar sales instead of the correct “DOUBLE the dollar sales” or I read it that way) so know we know why I had my Numbers like that (I still have all of Sonycowboy leaked NPDs from back in the day)

Last edited:
I mean, it’s over 1M in the US alone…
Probably closer to 2M with digital worlwide if we guesstimate NA+JPN=1.5M and RotW=500k.
The 854k number from October was including digital. I'm not sure it's guaranteed that it's done another 146k in the first half of November but I guess it's possible.

The 854k number from October was including digital. I'm not sure it's guaranteed that it's done another 146k in the first half of November but I guess it's possible.

If it hasn’t done 140k between physical and digital in the first 2 weeks of freakin’
November with great wom/reviews and closing on its first month on the market then this would mean, to me, awfully disappointing legs.

Last edited:
Great to see Metroid Dread performing so well. I myself bought it on launch week even though I won't have time to play it probably before Xmas time just to help the launch numbers ahah you guys are welcome, no need to thank me.

I fell like it's not really being discussed here, with Dread's excellent performance taking the spotlight - isn't the Switch's hardware sales like absolutely astonishing? I don't have good memory for this but I think 711k hardware units sold is probably one of the best showing ever for an October month.

If it hasn’t done 140k between physical and digital in the first 2 weeks of freakin’
November with great wom/reviews and closing on its first month on the market then this would mean, to me, awfully disappointing legs.
Or normal legs. It isn't Breath of the Wild or a Mario Kart. All of November's sales are concentrated around Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. Sales of games generally go Big first week then a 60% drop then another 60% before settling a steady amount

I fell like it's not really being discussed here, with Dread's excellent performance taking the spotlight - isn't the Switch's hardware sales like absolutely astonishing? I don't have good memory for this but I think 711k hardware units sold is probably one of the best showing ever for an October month.
I think I read on Install Base that it’s like the 3rd best showing for October or something.

Dread is so damn good, well deserved. New Horizons sitting there in 15th place - it'll be interesting to see how much traction it gets in November.

Well we don't know what it was doing per week towards the end of October either. It likely did most of its numbers at launch.

Though you're probably right that it's hit 1M in the US by now, I just wouldn't say that's confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom