• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data October (2021) NPD: Switch #1 in units & dollars, Far Cry 6 #1, Back 4 Blood #2, Metroid Dread #3, Mario Party Superstars #8

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Far Cry 6 was #1 on both PlayStation and Xbox and instantly became 8th best selling game of the year.

Back 4 Blood was #2 for both PlayStation and Xbox

Metroid Dread did double in launch month dollar sales than previous most successful Metroid game: Metroid Prime. (Edited since I had remembered that wrong initially)

List:
1. Far Cry 6
2. Back 4 Blood
3. Metroid Dread
4. Madden NFL 22
5. Demon Slayer The Hirokami Chronicles
6. FIFA 22
7. Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Mario Party Superstars
9. NHL 22
10. NBA 2K22
11. Mario Kart 8
12. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War
13. Ghost of Tsushima
14. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate
15. Animal Crossing New Horizons
16. Minecraft
17: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
18. Diablo II: Resurrected
19. Mortal Kombat 11
20: Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Last edited:
Well, it seems I was wrong. People still care about Far Cry. Still, fuck Ubisoft.

Also Demon Slayer performed better than GotG and Mario Party Superstars. Both came out late in month so I expect them to take higher spots in the November results.

Nice debut for Metroid. Switch back on top, as expected. Should probably stay that way for the rest of the year.

I had no idea Demon Slayer was a big IP in the west too, that’s quite the performance, especially since it underperformed in Japan where it’s a juggernaut

I had no idea Demon Slayer was a big IP in the west too, that’s quite the performance, especially since it underperformed in Japan where it’s a juggernaut
The US was the 2nd biggest market as far as the Demon Slayer movie went. Probably still an overshipment but not PS5 COD Vanguard levels (for Japan)

According to recorded numbers, Prime did just 1.5 million in the US LTD. So if Dread follows the exact same sales pattern as Prime did and has similar legs (read: almost none) but at double the sales rate like it has at launch according to NPD, the minimum expectation from that opening sales figure is 3 million units LTD in the US alone. Which would mean US sales alone would make it the best-selling Metroid game of all time. Who knows what European numbers will add to that, won't know until January when Nintendo publishes figures for their Q3.
Not bad for a "modest hit".

Super excited that the Metroid franchise seems to be truckin along better than ever

Last edited:
Happy to see the good numbers from Dread. Hopefully the next 2d metroid will arrive in less than 19 years

According to recorded numbers, Prime did just 1.5 million in the US LTD. So if Dread follows the exact same sales pattern as Prime did and has similar legs (read: almost none) but at double the sales rate like it has at launch according to NPD, the minimum expectation from that opening sales figure is 3 million units LTD in the US alone. Which would mean US sales alone would make it the best-selling Metroid game of all time. Who knows what European numbers will add to that, won't know until January when Nintendo publishes figures for their Q3.
Zedark from Install Base has found evidence that Metroid Dread did at least 500k physically. Possibly close to 1 million if digital were included.

EDIT: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/npd-november-2003.2644/

Nov. 2002:
GCN Metroid Prime Nov '02 363,389

Keep in mind it's by dollars, so a little under doubled untits (~370k $50 Prime debut NPD means ~600k $60 Dread). Of course this is also just packaged and Dread has digital too.

Keep in mind it's by dollars, so a little under doubled untits (~370k $50 Prime debut NPD means ~600k $60 Dread). Of course this is also just packaged and Dread has digital too.
Also, did Prime get a limited edition like Dread? Even if it did, I doubt it had as many units produced as Dread's (not saying that Dread had a lot of special edition units, it didn't, but it's still worth noting)

854k units for Dread in its launch in the US is absolutely incredible. Will easily be the best selling Metroid game ever in the US very soon.

854k units for Dread in its launch in the US is absolutely incredible. Will easily be the best selling Metroid game ever in the US very soon.
All it'll take is another 650K to cross that threshold.

Very happy for Dread! 😀

I wonder where it's worldwide LTD is at right now. With these and Japan sales alone, it should be above 1m already!

Code:
NSW METROID DREAD              854,000
GCN METROID PRIME              363,000
WII METROID PRIME 3 CORRUPTION 218,000
GBA METROID FUSION             199,000
GCN METROID PRIME 2 ECHOES     192,000
WII METROID OTHER M            173,000
GBA METROID ZERO MISSION       151,000
NDS METROID PRIME HUNTERS      122,000
WII METROID PRIME TRILOGY       34,000
NDS METROID PRIME PINBALL        6,000

I'm not even sure why he needs to check with Nintendo. It says RIGHT THERE in the PR Metroid sold 854k in the US. Nintendo is specifically commenting on October NPD performance.

lifetime

Code:
GCN METROID PRIME                1,346,000
GBA METROID FUSION                 946,000
NSW METROID DREAD                  854,000
WII METROID PRIME 3 CORRUPTION     749,000
GCN METROID PRIME 2 ECHOES         749,000
GBA METROID ZERO MISSION           482,000
NDS METROID PRIME HUNTERS          473,000
WII METROID OTHER M                349,000
WII METROID PRIME TRILOGY          255,000
NDS METROID PRIME PINBALL          175,000

wonder if dread would have been able to place higher without all that emulator business
I doubt that had much of an effect. If you planned to emulate in that way you probably never planned to buy it in the first place.

It would have placed higher if they included digital or used that 854k figure.

lifetime

Code:
GCN METROID PRIME                1,346,000
GBA METROID FUSION                 946,000
NSW METROID DREAD                  854,000
WII METROID PRIME 3 CORRUPTION     749,000
GCN METROID PRIME 2 ECHOES         749,000
GBA METROID ZERO MISSION           482,000
NDS METROID PRIME HUNTERS          473,000
WII METROID OTHER M                349,000
WII METROID PRIME TRILOGY          255,000
NDS METROID PRIME PINBALL          175,000