• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News No Man's Sky announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: out now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm I guess I'll have to wait on reviews and price. Not a big fan of aimless building games like Minecraft, I need more structure in my games.
I wouldn't say it's as obscure as Minecraft, as there is set missions and stuff like that. It's just that if you're only going in for the story you're going to be disappointed.

I wouldn't say it's as obscure as Minecraft, as there is set missions and stuff like that. It's just that if you're only going in for the story you're going to be disappointed.
I don't mind deviating and exploring and doing side stuff, I just generally don't love the idea of playing a game just to sorta make bases or buildings or whatnot. I could never really get into Animal Crossing for similar reasons.

Played this years ago on PS4, when it did not have all the updates. Or any updates, iirc. Checked it out again a couple of months ago and they did a ton to make the game more enjoyable. It is a good game to just chill, and one of those experiences that I feel is well-suited for portable play.

I don't mind deviating and exploring and doing side stuff, I just generally don't love the idea of playing a game just to sorta make bases or buildings or whatnot. I could never really get into Animal Crossing for similar reasons.

Then I'm not sure if this game is right for you. From what I've seen, it really doesn't seem like your thing.

Who do you see that is "triggered" on the trailer upload, the comments are mostly praise or surprise
Eh I see a lot of "this has to be cloud" and then once it's clear it's not cloud a lot of "eh looks like crap" or "it'll run like crap".

Pretty typical era reaction.

Who do you see that is "triggered" on the trailer upload, the comments are mostly praise or surprise
I didn't say they were the majority, I was asked where to find those comments and the official trailer had them usually responding to the praises. One guy is insisting the footage isn't native Switch /facepalm

But yeah the era thread would be more negative if that's what you are looking for

I never got Era's fascination with commenting on threads for consoles and games they don't own to restate their intention of not owning them. 🤔

One Switch-friendly thing about this game versus a lot of other notables: file size. It's had a lot of updates over the years, but my PC installation is around 12GB.

There's no reason to play this over the obshjectively Superior™ versions other than academic purposes /s

It's not horrible. Like I said it's about what you'd expect from Era.

The majority of Fami users are current/former Era users, and it's the mods that made this place special. Let's stop pretending the cesspool didn't leak into here also.

No Man's Sky is an incredible achievement, and while I find it super repetitive, it's got some insane longevity if you dig deep.

A functional 25+ fps port will do much better than people are giving it credit for.

The whole graphics debate is kinda starting to turn me away from the gaming community. It's depressing. I really don't care which console has more pixels or better ray tracing, just lemme play the damn game.

I say this as someone who loves the Series S.
It’s getting really irritating. I have a PS5 and a Series X but I consider the Switch to be my main platform, and it’s the system I buy the games on if there’s a native version. The word “unplayable” comes up for a lot of games that I e played plenty of.

Seems like Hello Games themselves though it was impossible...but thanks to some folks with "unique technical solutions", programming wizardry saves the day.

Perhaps this might just become the next impossible port. (And the Switch naysayers can go shove it up their...okay I'll stop.)

There is a lot of direction actually, you're constantly fed things to do. The main threads of story are the Atlas quest and the centre of the galaxy quest. Expeditions are also great fun time limited events. Quite busy too, you'll always see people doing things there, finding bases. I would imagine the centre of the galaxy is similarly explored, however I've not been there in my playthrough.

Outside of that, there is often plenty that the game is stacking up for you to do. It is all busy work, so nothing too deep, but always something to be doing.

Once you're in, you may find that you eventually come around to some self driven activities: aka - oh, I like this planet, I'm going to make something here and make it my own.

Quite tempted to move everything to Switch if this pans out well because the game does become well suited for quick daily tasks after a while. A very good decompression game once you are in a place where you're not worrying about resources to power your suit and ship (which can be quickly solved once you know what you are doing).

There's nothing more annoying than everyone reacting with "is this Switch Pro?!" or "is this Cloud?!" after every single time a game is shown for Switch that looks good. I don't know if it's a crappy meme or what.

There's nothing more annoying than everyone reacting with "is this Switch Pro?!" or "is this Cloud?!" after every single time a game is shown for Switch that looks good. I don't know if it's a crappy meme or what.
or this time could be......one of the 11 games ready for 4k of that rumor.

or this time could be......one of the 11 games ready for 4k of that rumor.

The Switch Pro Cult is one of the most toxic parts or the Nintendo fanbase by now.

Even if this game was one of the rumored eleven devs with 4k switch devkits at all, we wouldn't be getting footage of it running on the pro now.

This is running in base switch. The game has been optimized to hell and back on the other versions already, them managing to also get it running decently on switch is definitely something very noteworthy, but it's not a miracle.

I was thinking, it looks good. Then, I started looking with a side-eye for the outdoor frame rate. They nailed it!

There are folks speculating the upcoming Arkham games will be cloud-based. It’s just trolling.

On Nintendolife say that it could be on cloud. But it’s not. Isn’it?

NintendoLife has a lot of nonsensical takes from its editorial staff. It’s a weird site.

No Man's Sky got a big new update on other systems today, introducing a ton of new combat mechanics and other stuff. Will probably be included at Switch launch.

There are folks speculating the upcoming Arkham games will be cloud-based. It’s just trolling.

NintendoLife has a lot of nonsensical takes from its editorial staff. It’s a weird site.
Jon was the only good part of that site. That NMS article is hot garbage

I am thrilled for this one.

With No Man's Sky and (hopefully!) Outer Wilds coming in 2022, there will be no shortage of space adventures for the Switch this year.

Seems like Hello Games themselves though it was impossible...but thanks to some folks with "unique technical solutions", programming wizardry saves the day.

Perhaps this might just become the next impossible port. (And the Switch naysayers can go shove it up their...okay I'll stop.)

This sounds like an identical situation to the Subnautica port.

To me this is as big as the Witcher or doom eternal, if not more. Considering how big and rich the game is, and that it is getting bigger and bigger with each update, playing this in a handheld is definitely a miracle.

Even if this game was one of the rumored eleven devs with 4k switch devkits at all, we wouldn't be getting footage of it running on the pro now.
Yep, I remember people getting excited about some Animal Crossing promo shots being 4K last year. We all know how Nintendo is: nothing that's not supposed to get out gets out. It's kinda reassuring TBH because you don't have to second-guess stuff.

(For example this week BOTW2 got top listing on the Switch News page as a 2022 game. I'm taking that at face value as well.)

Speculation is fun, and sometimes stuff gets out through dataminers like Oatmealdome, but until official announcements are made what you see is what you get.

On-topic: watching videos about this game this seems like a Minecraft-like in space with more of a story and some flight mechanics? Will take a chance on that! It looks like a great port too, which might be why people are thinking it's Cloud Streaming: Switch ports can be rough sometimes. Just look at the baseball game from that same Direct. Getting great results on Switch is possible, but it takes commitment and budget.

Also, whenever a Switch 4K appears NMS is poised to have quick DLSS support =P .

On-topic: watching videos about this game this seems like a Minecraft-like in space with more of a story and some flight mechanics?
Nah, at this point NMS is pretty different from Minecraft, really.

There's exploring, there's collecting resources, there's cataloguing plant/animal/mineral species (And you can name them and upload them to a server), there's base building, settlement management, freighter expedition management, trading, crafting, farming, flying around, different kinds of land vehicles including a jumping mech and a space truck, quests; multiplayer quests, massive multiplayer quests - breathes - collecting stuff, discovering manufacturing recipes, upgrading equipment, visiting other systems through warp holes, acquiring pets, breeding pets for better aesthetics/stats, exploring derelict freighters, mining and surveying, composing music... I'm probably forgetting something here and there.

There's exploring, there's collecting resources, there's cataloguing plant/animal/mineral species (And you can name them and upload them to a server), there's base building, settlement management, freighter expedition management, trading, crafting, farming, flying around, different kinds of land vehicles including a jumping mech and a space truck, quests; multiplayer quests, massive multiplayer quests - breathes - collecting stuff, discovering manufacturing recipes, upgrading equipment, visiting other systems through warp holes, acquiring pets, breeding pets for better aesthetics/stats, exploring derelict freighters, mining and surveying, composing music... I'm probably forgetting something here and there.
I came very close to getting the game in 2016 when i had built a new PC and was waiting on either this game and or Civ 6, before things went sour and never went back so I see this Switch release as a second chance for me to play it in a format I enjoy as I don't really feel like getting tied down on PC for extended periods playing this. Kind of interesting both PC games I was looking forward to in 2016 are on Switch now.

On a side note, I used to play a freeware DOS game called NOCTIS IV which is basically NMS version 0 it's also a procedurally generated galaxy exploration game and you can find completelyt uncharted star systems with planets (all procedurally generated based on a a seed #) and the planets had day/night cycles, could have ancient ruins, and even life like little rabbit hoppers or flying birds. it's what got me interested in NMS to begin with.

I think the entire DOS game was like 256k.. pretty amazing stuff.

I came very close to getting the game in 2016 when i had built a new PC and was waiting on either this game and or Civ 6, before things went sour and never went back so I see this Switch release as a second chance for me to play it in a format I enjoy as I don't really feel like getting tied down on PC for extended periods playing this. Kind of interesting both PC games I was looking forward to in 2016 are on Switch now.

On a side note, I used to play a freeware DOS game called NOCTIS IV which is basically NMS version 0 it's also a procedurally generated galaxy exploration game and you can find completelyt uncharted star systems with planets (all procedurally generated based on a a seed #) and the planets had day/night cycles, could have ancient ruins, and even life like little rabbit hoppers or flying birds. it's what got me interested in NMS to begin with.

I think the entire DOS game was like 256k.. pretty amazing stuff.

OH MY GOD I've been trying to locate this game for ages and didn't remember the name, I remember playing it ages ago aaaaa

Thank you for posting this ♥

I'm probably forgetting something here and there.
By the time you finish lookin up all the gameplay features they will probably have added even more :p

Tons of respect for Hello Games sticking w all the free feature updates for 5 yrs. And then taking it upon themselves to create a switch port.

Game always looked intriguing after the initial launch year-or-two of disappointment passed. Hope they can nail the cross-progression, an absolute selling point for switch ports 🙏

Fine by me, Minecraft isn't really my thing anyways =P . I was more attracted to the exploration and flying around stuff anyways (although I wouldn't say no to the jumping mech!).

I really liked the early versions of the game, now they turned it into a playground. I don't get how they can still use their mantra "every planet unexplored" when you have wreckages and bases on most of the planets. What it truly wish is that not every planet was a rocky planet, and some would just be gas or whatever. But hey, I'll gladly grab it on Switch if it runs okay.

I really liked the early versions of the game, now they turned it into a playground. I don't get how they can still use their mantra "every planet unexplored" when you have wreckages and bases on most of the planets. What it truly wish is that not every planet was a rocky planet, and some would just be gas or whatever. But hey, I'll gladly grab it on Switch if it runs okay.
You can have wreckage and ruins and the planet still being unexplored, really. It's more of an "unexplored by travelers/players" thing.

is there any sort of story-driven experience in this game or the core stuff is still what was proposed since the beginning?

Very likely, but nothing is for sure. One notch in favor is the game is only 12GB on PC, very doable to fit in a cart
Though after a few patches, the install size will probably be similar to someone with a full digital copy anyway. The new Sentinel patch was something like a 7 GB download, with the game still being 12 GB in full.
I don't get how they can still use their mantra "every planet unexplored" when you have wreckages and bases on most of the planets.
Yes, that is absolutely something I have thought about. A galaxy full of technically uncharted planets that each have thousands of procedural trading posts that are all getting constant activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom