• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News No Man's Sky announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: out now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow. Ok. So, as a seasoned NMS player, I jumped immediately into the expedition and started playing Utopia. I found the performance of the game ok but quite chuggy on something like the lush planet that you have to go on at one point.

I took it as granted, that was the performance.

Anyway, I finished the expedition and made my way out of the system with the save now my main save (I fancied a little headstart on the game as it takes forever to get to that sort of level with unlocks, and I've been through that once already). So the performance in the newer systems I have been to is muuuuuuch better, really good in fact. I'm wondering if the expedition system might have been the issue here. Remembering back to how other expeditions I played on XBSX were absolutely crammed with players and builds, thinking that might have been a bit much for the old Switch Lite.

Anyway, I'm out in the wild and starting to make headway in the main story missions. Now it is a case of fleetbuilding, nanite amassing and starting to make a bit of a home on a planet.

Semi-wondering if I have done myself out a bit of the game with the leg up, but, from memory, it is simply jumping from place to place, grinding to get a better ship, grinding to get more suit unlocks, grinding to expand the ship. I feel like there is plenty left to unlock in this game.

Q: is the anomaly completely offline in the Switch version. Usually used to lots of traffic in there on Xbox!
No multiplayer, but the game is on-line in the sense discoveries are shareable and my understanding is you can visit other people's bases if you have their coordinates.

No Man's Sky is now the first Nintendo Switch game to feature AMD FSR 2!:

nintendo-switch-1-946w.png

nintendo-switch-2-1040w.jpg

nintendo-switch-3-1040w.jpg

Something tells me Nintendo won't use till their next console?

clean improvement, wow. is performance effected? I never really checked out NMS on Switch at all.

Something tells me Nintendo won't use till their next console?
Nintendo's already used FSR 1.0 in a couple of their games, so I could see games that come out next year, like the Peach game or maybe Prime 4, potentially making use of FSR 2.0.

For next console though, I actually think DLSS is probably gonna be Nintendo's preferred option for 1st party titles. FSR is essentially hardware agnostic, so it makes sense for the current Switch, but my understanding is the rumored specs for the next system should have the required hardware to do DLSS, plus their relationship with Nvidia probably means they'd get better technical support when implementing it.

What are you even talking about? This is for an update that just came out today.

FSR2 is on Switch already. Any dev can use it.
..........I'm talking about Nintendo developers amigo. You know Intelligent Systems, Nintendo EPD, HAL. Like Forgive me if I sound like a smart ass right now, but it's not hard to grasp what I said.

clean improvement, wow. is performance effected? I never really checked out NMS on Switch at all.
It says there's a framerate boost, thanks to FSR 2.0.

But jagged objects and framerate are the least of this games problems. NMS has one of the worst pop-in situation of all Switch miracle ports. None of the past updates seriously addressed the issue, I doubt they ever will.

..........I'm talking about Nintendo developers amigo. You know Intelligent Systems, Nintendo EPD, HAL. Like Forgive me if I sound like a smart ass right now, but it's not hard to grasp what I said.
Uh, they've always had access to this?

I mean, you think Nintendo's internal developers are always left in the dark or something...

It says there's a framerate boost, thanks to FSR 2.0.

But jagged objects and framerate are the least of this games problems. NMS has one of the worst pop-in situation of all Switch miracle ports. None of the past updates seriously addressed the issue, I doubt they ever will.
I think that is a memory issue and less pop in likely would also tank fps and resolution

We are getting capes finally and if the image quality is improved and fps improved I'd call it a win a big one.

Still waiting for the update to go up for me. Checking this am shows I have the latest version

Next console will probably support Nvidias DLSS which is even far superior to AMD FSR2.
I think what they were trying to say was that FSR2 wouldn't be implemented on the current gen Switch...

...which is exactly what No Mans Sky's recent update has clearly done. Bring FSR2 to Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo's already used FSR 1.0 in a couple of their games, so I could see games that come out next year, like the Peach game or maybe Prime 4, potentially making use of FSR 2.0.

For next console though, I actually think DLSS is probably gonna be Nintendo's preferred option for 1st party titles. FSR is essentially hardware agnostic, so it makes sense for the current Switch, but my understanding is the rumored specs for the next system should have the required hardware to do DLSS, plus their relationship with Nvidia probably means they'd get better technical support when implementing it.
DLSS biggest advantage over FSR 2 is that it uses dedicated hardware to speed it up. This should be particularly advantageous on portable hardware, compared to something like an rtx4090 where fsr 2 runs plenty fast anyway.

It's still not out yet sadly, I wouldn't expect it over the weekend because Nintendo tends to not give the go ahead for updates then.

any word on the update yet? thinking about buying this this weekend but at this point I figure I'll wait for the update to start playing

also: after five years of big content updates, is this game still fairly intuitive to get into from the start without a lot of wiki reading & stuff like that?

A hotifx came out after 4.4 (4.42 iirc) early this week, it's quite possible when the patch rolls out it will be on the hot fix version

No update yet unfortunately, we might be waiting until next week sometime or worse case scenario, the week after.
A hotifx came out after 4.4 (4.42 iirc) early this week, it's quite possible when the patch rolls out it will be on the hot fix version
If that's the case then we'll have to wait another two weeks due to Nintendo's sluggish review process. I think it's much more likely for us to receive 4.40 first next week, then recieve 4.42, 4.43, or 4.44(it depends on which one they sent through for the Switch ver as it has been differrent in the past) two weeks after. I usually keep a close eye on the Switch updates to kinda understand the pattern by now.

I played this game when it launched on switch for 20ish hours.

I wouldn’t mind jumping back in after the latest update but like….do I re-start? I’m afraid I’ll be completely lost. Not sure how easy it is to onboard again

I played this game when it launched on switch for 20ish hours.

I wouldn’t mind jumping back in after the latest update but like….do I re-start? I’m afraid I’ll be completely lost. Not sure how easy it is to onboard again
no... 20 hours is not insignificant but still early enough. you'd just be wasting process. game is open ended, keep your progress and build on it.

wahoooo, can’t wait to check it out tonight. I ended up picking the game up and starting it this last weekend and (after a pretty rough first hour) I’ve been enjoying it a lot—the fidelity and performance bump will be more than welcome

Popped in real quick. The visuals are improved and look sharper docked

On my paradise planet home base they seem to have pushed out the LOD on the grass out a bit more as well to around 45 to 49 u from previously 40 to 45 u.

In handheld mode it's a ton sharper too! Noticed immediate improvements looking at the Nexus mission hub

Edit: Looking at it all there are some ghosting issues with some fast moving objects sadly, but on the plus side it appears they've fixed broken LOD textures appearing on close up objects (like rocks and grass) on long save files, which I found waay more distracting! So I'm very happy with this update!

Last edited:
I think what they did with FSR2 here considering Switch's specs is very significand and very, very impressive. Looking forward to technical reviews on this.

If they really wanted to, they could have done it before, they could just work it out with AMD, and god knows Pokemon S/V needed it. I know GF is not technically 1st party, but given how close they are to Nintendo, it could have been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom