• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Discussion No Man's Sky Update - Echoes - includes Switch Performance Boost

fourfourfun

Moblin
Update can be found here: https://www.nomanssky.com/echoes-update/

The big things for us is THIS!

NINTENDO SWITCH VISUAL IMPROVEMENTS​

A highly customised version of AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 2 (FSR 2), tailored specifically for No Man’s Sky on Switch, now provides higher image quality for Switch players. This temporal upscaling technology has been combined with dynamic resolution scaling to offer not only a boost to visual quality, but also improved and smoother framerates. Learn more about FSR 2 on the AMD site.

Capes are coming to Switch too! I'm excited to see how it runs after this, because on cartridge performance can be kinda bad, but if it's all downloaded onto the internal memory, it's a lot better and runs pretty smoothly. That sharper image quality is definitely gonna be a treat to see, especially with how it handles with the newly implemented DRS as well(coming this update too)

because on cartridge performance can be kinda bad, but if it's all downloaded onto the internal memory, it's a lot better and runs pretty smoothly.

I had no idea about this. I bought cart because I always buy cart. I found the game was mostly ok, the terrain mod tool could be a bit laggy with mining, and expedition areas tanked the FPS. Not too bad otherwise. Very fuzzy in handheld but I deal with it. I play on Switch Lite, so this will be a real litmus test. I'll report back on how it is.

really cool to see that, beyond the switch version getting all the content updates alongside other platforms, they're even continuing to work on the switch version's performance, etc. that side-by-side before/after image on the update page looks like a big improvement with FSR2.

still waiting to play this for some hypothetical time when I'll actually have the free time to get lost in it for a couple weeks, but I'm definitely tempted by that current 50% off sale . . .

Very nice. Excluding this update, how is the Switch version of NMS compared to others? I’ve been curious to jump in.
So I have played exclusively on Lite.

What is missing:

Outposts (interesting omission)
Online play

Experience:

Handheld is blurry but the game runs ok. Heavy vegetation planets can be a bit of a struggle and certain actions like terrain mining and commencing a landing in a ship doesn't feel as snappy as on my Series X. It is a bit pop in heavy, you're watching stuff happen in front of your eyes sometimes. Obviously, in space, everything is much smoother. Also worth remembering that NMS isn't always the most polished experience as a base anyway.

With that as a benchmark, seeing how this improves on things will be interesting.

Very nice. Excluding this update, how is the Switch version of NMS compared to others? I’ve been curious to jump in.
I play docked.

With 4.3.8, visuals looks less blurry and much, much improved than at launch, and gyro aiming was recently implemented.

Contrary to @fourfourfun , I believe Outposts are in the game, as I recently spotted on once I got my ship to launch. I do no there's no online get-togethers for Switch at launch, but dunno if that has been reimplemented back in or not.

Framerates are at 30fps for the most part. Pop-in wasn't as bad as launch day, but I take it the newest 4.4 update might even boost performance further given they are using FSR2 together with dynamic resolution scaling.

I think when they mentioned Outposts, they meant to say "Settlements" as those are still missing from the Switch Version. Settlements are little towns you can own and build up only on the other platforms. While Outposts are the small buildings you can find in every inhabited system by alien races, but cannot own, they exist on every platform.

So I have played exclusively on Lite.

What is missing:

Outposts (interesting omission)
Online play

Experience:

Handheld is blurry but the game runs ok. Heavy vegetation planets can be a bit of a struggle and certain actions like terrain mining and commencing a landing in a ship doesn't feel as snappy as on my Series X. It is a bit pop in heavy, you're watching stuff happen in front of your eyes sometimes. Obviously, in space, everything is much smoother. Also worth remembering that NMS isn't always the most polished experience as a base anyway.

With that as a benchmark, seeing how this improves on things will be interesting.

I play docked.

With 4.3.8, visuals looks less blurry and much, much improved than at launch, and gyro aiming was recently implemented.

Contrary to @fourfourfun , I believe Outposts are in the game, as I recently spotted on once I got my ship to launch. I do no there's no online get-togethers for Switch at launch, but dunno if that has been reimplemented back in or not.

Framerates are at 30fps for the most part. Pop-in wasn't as bad as launch day, but I take it the newest 4.4 update might even boost performance further given they are using FSR2 together with dynamic resolution scaling.
Thank you both for your impressions. I'll have to give it shot.

Is this the 1st Switch game that using FSR2 ? Previously only FSR1 was used in the Switch Sport, Zelda TOTK etc

It's exciting how reliable they are with updates and patches because it's 99% likely we will get a Switch 2 patch, which means we will get to play this huge game on a handheld with barely any compromise.

Thank you both for your impressions. I'll have to give it shot.

One thing I'll say about any criticism - it is No Mans Sky on Switch, which is incredible. I went in buying this with eyes open and decided being able to have it on Switch was more than worth it. Plus it was fairly well priced I believe.

It's exciting how reliable they are with updates and patches because it's 99% likely we will get a Switch 2 patch, which means we will get to play this huge game on a handheld with barely any compromise.

Still sweating over how cross gen will be handled on the next machine.

One thing I'll say about any criticism - it is No Mans Sky on Switch, which is incredible. I went in buying this with eyes open and decided being able to have it on Switch was more than worth it. Plus it was fairly well priced I believe.
I think many were surprised that it came to Switch at all!

Usually the Switch NMS updates come a week later than other platforms due to Nintendo's longer process to check and release them. At earliest we could expect it is wednesday next week, or the wednesday the week after. Mostly it's around 2pm UST but rarely it can arrive earlier.

I'll definitely be checking as often as possible until it comes out haha. If someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll be sure to mention it here!

It’s amazing the good post-release support this game is getting. I can’t wait to see the improvements! (Before Starfield launch I hope :p)

Tried the latest patch right now. The improvements are immidately noticable:

• Image quality improved significantly thanks to FSR 2.x
  • Much more smoother performance than prior patch despite this
  • Pop-in for on-foot section is noticibly a whole lot less
  • More particles are present

• Image quality improved significantly thanks to FSR 2.x
  • Much more smoother performance than prior patch despite this
I wanna add to these, if I may. The game looks absolutely stunning even on my 43-inch 4K TV with the update installed. Image quality has been improved to resounding results in my honest opinion, so much that it still holds up rather well even in scenes where the dynamic resolution is more drastically applied. Doing all that while also improving framerates just shows how incredible technology can be, really. FSR is such a game-changer that I'm actually starting a new save just to see how the experience changes.

Any hint of when a DF analysis is coming? I would think this degree of FSR 2.0 on Switch warrants special attention.

Quoted by: SiG
Any hint of when a DF analysis is coming? I would think this degree of FSR 2.0 on Switch warrants special attention.
DF might be too busy covering the new releases for this month and the next, as they stated in their DF Direct.

The image quality is really good now, but I don't know about the performance really. On the planets I visited, it still chugged quite a bit when there's some meteorological shenanigans happening (rain especially)

reposting my comment from the launch thread
Popped in real quick. The visuals are improved and look sharper docked

On my paradise planet home base they seem to have pushed out the LOD on the grass out a bit more as well to around 45 to 49 u from previously 40 to 45 u.

Hmm, reminds me of Doom 2016 in it's looks. Smooth, a bit smeary, but not too unpleasant. Having a good AA is the biggest improvement - I'd say that bodes well for FSR2 finally providing quality AA on Switch games if not for Switch 2 finally looking believable for next year. yes i'm one of the people who has been saying this for years on end so go fsr!

Now I wish that Doom Eternal could get a FSR2.0 update to increase resolution and IQ.

NMS looks quite better on the video that was posted above after the update

Playing this undocked and it looks a hell of a lot better... they really cleaned things up and the pop-in not as offensive either.

Now I wish that Doom Eternal could get a FSR2.0 update to increase resolution and IQ.

NMS looks quite better on the video that was posted above after the update
You should see it on the SWOLED. First time I've seen NMS on Switch and been somewhat impressed.

I can't be the only one who's still floored that this even exists on Switch and in it's I guess originally advertised form, when this was looking to be a gen/PS4 tech showcase back in 2014/2015.

And they keep outdoing themselves, especially after the disastrous launch. Hugely impressed with them.

Now I wish ALL Nintendo Switch games that run at 900-720p get an FSR2.x upgrade.

Looking at you Witcher 3!

4.4.4 is up on Switch. not a big patch

The patch came out a week ago for other platforms, and nothing Switch specific, just bug fixes

Edit: Minor correction. since Switch jumped from 4.4.0 to 4.4.4 here are the other patches that we skipped along the way and presumably already baked into 4.4.4
https://www.nomanssky.com/2023/08/echoes-4-43/
https://www.nomanssky.com/2023/08/echoes-4-42/
https://www.nomanssky.com/2023/08/echoes-4-41/

Last edited:
New patch releasing soon 4.4.5 with lots of Switch specific fixes . There are four screeenshots in the tweet, 2 of 4 had specific Switch mentions, but rest are for other consoles or general game fixes.

F6ZlaO6XwAANN4g

F6ZldLYXIAAwYbp

I don't know of it's just because I've been playing Pokemon Scarlet and anything would look good after that, but this latest update really seems to have improved things. It's still rough in spots but it's crossed the line from 'decent, considering it's on the Switch' to genuinely good looking in it's own right.

New patch releasing soon 4.4.5 with lots of Switch specific fixes . There are four screeenshots in the tweet, 2 of 4 had specific Switch mentions, but rest are for other consoles or general game fixes.

F6ZlaO6XwAANN4g

F6ZldLYXIAAwYbp

This update is out now on Switch btw, very quick but not too unexpected for just a patch

I don't know of it's just because I've been playing Pokemon Scarlet and anything would look good after that, but this latest update really seems to have improved things. It's still rough in spots but it's crossed the line from 'decent, considering it's on the Switch' to genuinely good looking in it's own right.

Yeah one thing I noticed is the god rays have massively improved from a lot of dithering to just normal looking volumentric lighting.

Bought No Man's Sky on sale (50% off!) after DF did a feature on this update and I think it now qualifies as a "Miracle Port". Plus the game is really clever in the way it implements many features, such as individual animals of the same species having different sizes and proportions, and learning alien languages gradually and as a result only understanding certain words and only being vaguely understood. Dialogue choices and text descriptions give a very old-school RPG or text-adventure feel, in the best way possible.

I expected the procedural stuff to be done well but did not expect the gameplay to be this refined, too!

Spent about 4-5 hours with the game, built my first base and made it to the first space station. There are some minor bugs but nothing you wouldn't expect in a Bethesda game, which is so far what this feels closest to. Again, I mean that as a huge compliment.

Hello Games are really putting larger teams to shame, here!

Back
Top Bottom