• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition Announced - July 18th (+ Deluxe Edition)

As expected: NES Remix, without the remix challenges, and with more of a competitive tilt to it. Looks fun enough, will pre-order. I do like the timer in the bottom-left... it looks exactly like LiveSplit - I suspect on purpose!

Not sure why people are complaining that full games aren't included, they weren't in NES Remix either (ignoring Super Luigi Bros. and whatnot).

This sounded kinda lame from the description but watching the ad actually sold me. The challenge variety and especially the party mode look pretty cool.

Welp cant get the limited edition here and of course the local retailer doesn't know anything about this. Gonna talk with my scalper contact

Welp cant get the limited edition here and of course the local retailer doesn't know anything about this. Gonna talk with my scalper contact
If it helps, I was still able to get an order through Best Buy.

Got a pre-order at Best Buy. Hoping it doesn't come crushed, but I'll display the items individually at my office at work either way so I'm not too worried if the outside box gets damaged.

While I prefer the general direction of NES Remix, this looks like it could make for a killer multiplayer game. Especially if you can play the challenges rapid fire, like with WarioWare.

Feels like itā€™s primed for post launch support too, although the price tag makes me doubt that.

Hmm, okay. Game seems interesting and could be fun, but that physical deluxe edition is what really has my attention!

Patiently waiting for the notification mail about pre-orders going live in Europe.

seinfeld-jason-alexander.gif

The multiplayer mode looks like it could be a blast but it is a shame that is local only from the sounds of it.
Having a proper dedicated speedrun layout with the timer and button inputs is also really cool

Hmm, not as interesting to me as NES Remix to me but Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be fun enough. The focus for this one is clearly on multiplayer and online leaderboards.

Also, this is definitely developed by indieszero, not just because they made NES Remix, but because some UI elements and features in this game look extremely similar to that of Dr Kawashimaā€™s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch and Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, too.

I'm very sorry I jokingly suggested Nintendo would release a collection of NES games in a fancy NES cartridge box set for full price in a post a few months ago

Aw, I really want that Famicom collection box. I think I'm going to break down and finally order a pair of the controllers on eBay at least.

Quite frankly, I think this looks pretty cool. Don't think I'll ever get it, but little snack-driven challenges to wet your appetite, plus some competition with friends could be a good time for many.

Wow so these really are ā€œbyteā€ sized. Very curious to see if the harder ones are anything longer than running through 1-1. Really unsure how to feel about it, though I can already see a few fun ā€œpartyā€ sessions of it

But yeah like what most of yall said, not only is this light on content compared to NES Remix, but this is specifically tailored for speedrunners. So it killed my curiosity based on the latter alone because I DO NOT care for speedrunning any game. So this is an easy pass/skip for me.

But yeah like what most of yall said, not only is this light on content compared to NES Remix, but this is specifically tailored for speedrunners. So it killed my curiosity based on the latter alone because I DO NOT care for speedrunning any game. So this is an easy pass/skip for me.
Youā€™d think someone with ā€œCheetahā€ in their username would like going fast though! šŸ˜‰

Things would be looking dire on these boards right now if we didn't get a confirmation of a June Direct yesterday.

Woulda been much cooler if the full games were included so people could actually speedrun the full games and have leaderboards for that.
Like, this game is priced more than a standard NSO subscription, I don't think it woulda killed them if they included the full things. It's not like this is Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits.

Woulda been much cooler if the full games were included so people could actually speedrun the full games and have leaderboards for that.
Like, this game is priced more than a standard NSO subscription, I don't think it woulda killed them if they included the full things. It's not like this is Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits.

What's the point anyway? You can play them on NSO and there are already official leaderboards for the full games, no one will care about competing in the Nintendo World's Championship NES Edition leaderboard when there is already an official thing with decades of history and the best players around invested on it.

The only appeal this product may have is precisely creating new bite sized challenges adapted to the portable nature of the Switch that you can compete and complete in a few seconds. It's just like a sucession of Wario Ware micro games.

What's the point anyway? You can play them on NSO and there are already official leaderboards for the full games, no one will care about competing in the Nintendo World's Championship NES Edition leaderboard when there is already an official thing with decades of history and the best players around invested on it.

The only appeal this product may have is precisely creating new bite sized challenges adapted to the portable nature of the Switch that you can compete and complete in a few seconds. It's just like a sucession of Wario Ware micro games.
I mean with things like input viewers and timers being here, they're definitely going for the speedrun audience, so it could easily be used by people who want to kinda just get into running a game. Use the NWC version for that without having to manually use splits and starting a timer and stuff. They could have easily made this a definitive version for speedrunners to use, at least, depending on the input lag.
So it seems at least a little strange that Nintendo's speedrun gateway game can't be actually used to speedrun the games.

I mean with things like input viewers and timers being here, they're definitely going for the speedrun audience, so it could easily be used by people who want to kinda just get into running a game. Use the NWC version for that without having to manually use splits and starting a timer and stuff. They could have easily made this a definitive version for speedrunners to use, at least, depending on the input lag.
So it seems at least a little strange that Nintendo's speedrun gateway game can't be actually used to speedrun the games.

That probably will never happen. For example, some games are played in specific regional versions because language make them shorter. And they are not gonna put a Japanese rom there.

Speedrunners are not the target of this. Moreover, some games are played with unoriginal controllers (Super Mario Bros world record holder uses a keyboard!), and that won't be a thing for sure here.

Honestly, this doesn't look very compelling outside of what appears to be an incredibly fun multiplayer mode with friends.

That said, I'm a major nut about my physical collection so you can bet I already pre-ordered the deluxe version.

Going off Nes remix and the like, itā€™s usually because each part they have for the challenge they rebuilt basically from scratch other than the art for the modern engine so it doesnā€™t have graphical glitches and controls better. They do that for each snapshot of the game for each challenge. So if you just through in normal emulated versions of each game theyā€™d feel off. And recreating the whole of each game is outside the scope of the project. Same thing as Nes remix

That probably will never happen. For example, some games are played in specific regional versions because language make them shorter. And they are not gonna put a Japanese rom there.

Speedrunners are not the target of this. Moreover, some games are played with unoriginal controllers (Super Mario Bros world record holder uses a keyboard!), and that won't be a thing for sure here.
Most NES games don't have this issue because they either barely have text, have text after timing stops like SMB3, or have so little characters that text is just as fast. Or you could switch your console's language to JP. Speedrunners are the target of this, undoubtedly. The speedrunning aspect is the most prominent part of the marketing here, the input display is perfect for testing the lag, has a live replay of your PB to compare against, and the timer looks EXTREMELY similar to LiveSplit, probably intentionally!
3df1e44e656f71cf6d8191cd9314d5144126d6de4106b10dba0cc8699ba92fde
livesplittimer.png

These are all great features that speedrunners would love to have, but cannot without setting up stream elements. Having it all right here by default would make this a genuine competitor to other options for speedrunners to use, yet it's not the full games. It's not like they're gonna update NSO with these features, so it would have been cool to see it also be used as an enthusiast's package.

Going off Nes remix and the like, itā€™s usually because each part they have for the challenge they rebuilt basically from scratch other than the art for the modern engine so it doesnā€™t have graphical glitches and controls better. They do that for each snapshot of the game for each challenge. So if you just through in normal emulated versions of each game theyā€™d feel off. And recreating the whole of each game is outside the scope of the project. Same thing as Nes remix
Unlike NES remix, we've seen nothing to indicate that these aren't emulated (ugly backgrounds or Remix elements). This even has the same menu input as NSO, I'm betting these are absolutely emulated versions, just like Amiibo Tap.
Before you mention the challenge snapshots thing and going to an external HD menu after you complete something, the Capcom collections have all done stuff like this and they are all emulated.

EDIT: In fact, going back to check, there's slow down in Kirby's Adventure just like the NES version, as well as the palette stuff on the left side of the screen. It's emulated.

EDIT EDIT: Also NES Remix apparently does use emulation, it basically just greenscreens out the background. So uh.

Last edited:
Honestly, this doesn't look very compelling outside of what appears to be an incredibly fun multiplayer mode with friends.

That said, I'm a major nut about my physical collection so you can bet I already pre-ordered the deluxe version.
Honestly same. This will probably be a kind of game that I might pick up ever now and again. If it wasn't for the physical edition which has a bunch of cool stuff, I don't think I would ever pick up the game.

Zero interest in the game itself, but the trailer was cool.

I also like the collector's edition, especially the one in Japan.

So this is basically Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain except you're speed running NES games instead of memory games. They even both have the same $30 price point. Hmm. I did have fun with Big Brain Academy but I didn't pay full price for it. Maybe if it ever gets a discount in the future I'll give Nintendo World Championships a try.

That was a very cute trailer. Not sure about the game itself, though. Kind of over these NES "remixes" tbh. SNES would have been more interesting to see.

It's a minor release, almost only for the eshop. In my opinion, it's not something big enough or important enough to be essential in the next Nintendo Direct.

I'm curious to know what Nintendo is going to focus its communication on in June. We're all thinking about FE4 remake and Prime 4, but I think they've certainly got more unifying games, for example something Zelda, something DK to coincide with the park, or something Mario Party.
My thoughts here too, boodream. I'm keying my hopes to a new DK or 2D Zelda. It seems like fitting time to get either, based on @MisterSpo's wise observations of when 2D Zelda has frequently appeared, and as for DK, it was one of the last major releases for Wii. In truth, these are just the two games I personally want to see the most from established franchises or series, but I used this same logic to wish for new mainline Kirby, Pikmin and 2D Mario entries, and eventually time and some degree of patterns paid off. My Hylian fingers and Kong toes are crossed.

Party mode looks super cool, but it really should have just been a collection of NES Remix 1&2 with the addition of said party mode.

This seems very low effort and unfun in comparison to NES Remix, which got pretty wild at times.

Party mode looks super cool, but it really should have just been a collection of NES Remix 1&2 with the addition of said party mode.

This seems very low effort and unfun in comparison to NES Remix, which got pretty wild at times.
Yep, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed the focus is purely on speed. I haven't seen any of the creativity and unusualness of NES Remix, maybe it's in the final product but based on what's shown so far my expectations are a bit low.

Funny you mention that game, because that's exactly what this reminded me of, in a way. Feels like a cross between amiibo Tap and NES Remix. With the styling I also get NES/SNES Classic Edition vibes, though I personally really enjoyed the classic consoles. Bit disappointed this isn't more robust (it seems), but lots of other games to play.

My thoughts here too, boodream. I'm keying my hopes to a new DK or 2D Zelda. It seems like fitting time to get either, based on @MisterSpo's wise observations of when 2D Zelda has frequently appeared, and as for DK, it was one of the last major releases for Wii. In truth, these are just the two games I personally want to see the most from established franchises or series, but I used this same logic to wish for new mainline Kirby, Pikmin and 2D Mario entries, and eventually time and some degree of patterns paid off. My Hylian fingers and Kong toes are crossed.
Even if they are partly incantations, as long as it works, it would fully satisfy me!

Since GameStop at one point sold out of preorders, I assume this will be the best selling game of the year for Nintendo (TBD with the June Direct of course).

Back
Top Bottom