• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition Announced - July 18th (+ Deluxe Edition)

Plum

Tingle

🏆 The Nintendo World Championships return with a twist!

Take on over 150 retro speed-running challenges in Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition, launching July 18th on Nintendo Switch.

GND9q8PWgAA5zmF

Digital = $29.99
Physical Deluxe Edition = $59.99

NA Store Link
UK Store Link (Deluxe Edition by invitation only at first)
AUS Deluxe Edition Link

Last edited:
Trailer was very well done but idk if the game really appeals to anyone who isn’t a speedrunner. Sounds like a pretty niche thing.

This looks awesome! And that Special Edition... I might need that Special Edition.

This looks great, similar to NES Remix. Physical edition looks great but wish there was a $30 standalone for the just the game as $60 is a lot.

Has the Deluxe Set already sold out or has it not gone live yet?

Not sure if this is even as appealing as NES Remix as it seems to just be speedrunning challenges, some of which are REALLY barebones.

What if NES Remix was boring?

Nice box though
Yeah. This seems more an NSO thing to me than a full release (unless it gets constant updates to challenges but doubtful). I suppose a full 8-player in person session would be the best way to play. The advertisement was fun though.

Hmm... first party games only. Nintendo should have gone the extra mile to include a couple of Mega Man games there. Maybe Ghosts n Goblins and Pac-man too. I'm simply not interested doing speed challenges for like Balloon Fight....

I'm digging the aesthetic here. Contemplating the deluxe edition even though I probably don't need all the extra crap it comes with.

Got to get that physical deluxe edition. Looks so awesome!

Also confused on whether it has online or not. It’s the perfect game for leaderboards.

I love this. Nintendo’s commitment to publishing a game every month in the Switch era is such a joy. A ridiculous small-budget game from the biggest developer in the world is the sort of thing nobody else would make, but Nintendo gives it a prime summer slot. I’m hyped.

Hmm... it's just speedrunning challenges? I think those who are into speedrunning would just play the original games rather than small minigame sections.
Really would've preferred a NES Remix 3 or a collection of 1+2

It does have online!

Compete against players around the world online
Jump into the World Championship Mode with a Nintendo Switch Online membership** and aim for a spot on the leaderboards in five challenges that rotate each week. At the end of each week, compare your times against players of varying skill levels, or sit back and watch the world’s best time to learn how to improve. With "byte-sized" challenges, you don't need to master entire games to feel like a Nintendo World Champion!

Got to get that physical deluxe edition. Looks so awesome!

Also confused on whether it has online or not. It’s the perfect game for leaderboards.
It does say in the trailer that there are online weekly global leaderboards, so you should be good.

I hope there are options to... not have the border and big countdown like that

I love doing weird little challenges but I feel like I'd have a better time doing them if I had full screen real estate

my fault for being blind? sure. whatever. but still... options...

I'm unsure if this is really a step up from NES Remix tbh, I might just stick with Ultimate NES Remix, my brother owns it and I've barely played it

It does have online!
Not so much online as online leaderboards. I think the comment above was actual matchmaking, which probably wouldn’t work with network latency and stuff anyway. But should exist.

Edit: or maybe you were the one asking and I just said something that makes no sense :p

They really should've gone the other way and made NES Remix more WarioWare-y. A bit longer than microgames but as absurd. Of course it would've taken more effort, but I kinda don't get who is this for. Speedrunners already speedrun those games, they don't need to play small sections where you grab a mushroom or just beat 8-3, and I feel like it's not a good fit for casual audience

I'm unsure if this is really a step up from NES Remix tbh, I might just stick with Ultimate NES Remix, my brother owns it and I've barely played it

It feels more like NES Remix, but without the Remix, just "challenges" to do very little things fast.

Yeah sure, why not? Nice having super small releases like this. Fun trailer, too.

Was expecting a little more for $30 though. Going for the challenges alone, seems like something that’ll last little more than a day or 2.

Last edited:
The limited game selection is a bummer, personally speaking. Might get this down the line, preferably on sale, but I was hoping for more.

Strange that they didn't keep this for the june direct...
It's a minor release, almost only for the eshop. In my opinion, it's not something big enough or important enough to be essential in the next Nintendo Direct.

I'm curious to know what Nintendo is going to focus its communication on in June. We're all thinking about FE4 remake and Prime 4, but I think they've certainly got more unifying games, for example something Zelda, something DK to coincide with the park, or something Mario Party.

They really should've gone the other way and made NES Remix more WarioWare-y. A bit longer than microgames but as absurd. Of course it would've taken more effort, but I kinda don't get who is this for. Speedrunners already speedrun those games, they don't need to play small sections where you grab a mushroom or just beat 8-3, and I feel like it's not a good fit for casual audience
I would have actually purchased this. Especially if there was a survival online mode too. But..... Doing 150 10 second speed run challenges really doesnt do it for me at all. Especially when the NES games are just right there on NSO.

Back
Top Bottom