• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition Announced - July 18th (+ Deluxe Edition)

is the physical already sold out lol? or is it just not available to buy yet?

edit: ok not available

Oh man, that physical release is mighty tempting.....though i don't get we don't get the nes controllers like the japan bundle gets. Why is the NA collector editions always lesser in some way

Strange that they didn't keep this for the june direct...
$30 games like this usually aren't held for directs. Game Builder Garage, Everybody 1-2 Switch, these kinds of things tend to get the "we're not gonna make a big deal about this, here's a tweet and a video. Buy it or don't" treatment instead

I would buy that pin-set from the deluxe edition if they would offer it standalone.

I really do appreciate the on-screen input readout. A very very smart touch.

Honestly it would be really cool if they maybe included some of the speedrun-related UI elements as options in the NSO apps. Maybe certain games could get Speed Run modes where the NSO emulator tracks your split times, shows your inputs on screen, and maybe lets you compete against people on your friends list via a leaderboard or something.

I would have actually purchased this. Especially if there was a survival online mode too. But..... Doing 150 10 second speed run challenges really doesnt do it for me at all. Especially when the NES games are just right there on NSO.
Yeah, I think this is what confuses me. I assume some challenges are beefier, but I don't think many people who get nostalgic for Mario will want to play it in cut-up chunks

You can use the NSO NES controllers, so that’s nice to have confirmed. I never got those because the 8bitdo Gbro with NES classic controllers works identically (hopefully that’s the case here).

I think the concept here is not bad on its own but as a package this seems light even with the lower price. I think I’ll pass.

I grew up with the NES and loved NES Remix 1 + 2 but this just seems like a humorously low-effort way to pad the schedule.

Like, you all can pay $30 for Nintendo World Championship, I'll be over here with my NSO Roms and my smartphone stopwatch app having roughly the same experience.

Yeah, this looks on the less interesting spectrum of things for me personally. The one area I think I'd really enjoy it would be local multiplayer, but I rarely get many opportunities for that these days so it makes it a tough sell.

l'll keep an eye on it. It'd be more interesting with new challenges and maybe a few more games being promised as free updates down the line.
July 18th is a Thursday, which is the new release day for Nintendo games this year.

That's the spot for Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition.
cackles in prescient
Japan gets the better bundle.

image.png
Of course they do!

Going to be honest, I'm not really feeling this one.

It comes with 13 games and over 150 challenges? NES Remix had 28 games and 204 challenges. Nes remix was £8.99, this is £25.99.

It feels like it's an anniversary title for the Famicom given it has a Deluxe Edition, and that's why they feel justified charging this much - kind of like what they did for Super Mario All-Stars on the Wii.

The physical edition looks great, but that is a hefty price for it. I'll still probably be a sucker and get that version anyway, the stuff you get seems fun.

I'm honestly really excited for this release (especially the physical edition!!!)

8-player local multiplayer makes this a must-buy for me, lame the physical edition is so much more expensive though

Seems like a cool collectors item, but I expected something a bit more substantial for $30. 13 first party NES games that are already on NSO doesn't do much for me.

I think an enhanced port of the NES remix games would have been better received.

At the very least I appreciate Nintendo continuing to support physical media even for budget releases like this.

NES Remix had double the amount of games and was much cheaper. This looks like a ridiculously low effort cash grab. I don't know who this is for, since even speedrunners would rather speed through the actual games.

That's definitely not for me but I'm sure it'll be a good time. Maybe I'll catch a stream or two of this.

Yeah this appeals much less to me than what I was expecting. NES Remix 3 would've been a home run in my book

Japan will have a standard physical edition (besides the special one):

Japan will have a standard physical edition (besides the special one):

This is something I was wondering about. Seems it's digital only, save for the physical edition, outside of Japan?

Also the Japan trailer included the prices and the others didn't. It really isn't cheap, yikes.

The branding situation internationally is just funny to me.

We of course have the NA one, makes sense, all checks out.

The European one? Which... I'm pretty sure uses all NA assets, didn't some of these boxes have different art in Europe? Also, didn't Europe actually HAVE a console called NES Edition?

The Hong Kong one.
Screenshot_2024-05-08-16-23-58-91_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-08-16-23-42-47_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Refuses to take a side. Are they translating NES as Famicom? Also, Famicom, while the JP one specifically says Family Computer?

Screenshot_2024-05-08-16-24-42-32_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

And JP... There's something off about the stylistic clash between 1980s Nintendo and 1980s NOA.

Will probably get it only because of that deluxe edition. It really does look like a less interesting NES Remix, unfortunately.

Honestly my biggest takeaway from this announcement is that I kind of wish Nintendo would do more NWC events again.

The extra little merch that comes with the special editions look more interesting than the actual game, especially the Famicom controllers in the JP special version.

I just want NES REMIX PACK why is that such a hard ask from Ninty. Wouldn't that have been LESS work?

Back
Top Bottom