• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo was worried TOTK marketing was not resonating with fans, which prompted them to fast track a gameplay demonstration to clarify its mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to see MPR as a success tbh. 1 million units in the first 2 months is way under what anyone was expecting/hoping for with that. I mean maybe Nintendo had zero expectations for the release, and that's why they did what they did, but that number doesn't seem like a great look for the franchise or MP4.
If MPR is not a success then we can write off a bunch of games within this bracket that actually did have marketing. What exactly were people expecting/hoping for & why are we taking those over Nintendo’s? As we saw with XCDE vs XC2 sales discussion, sometimes enthusiasts can be wildly out of step with the actual market.

Aonuma is literally saying that you need a very high IQ to understand TotK marketing and people keep cheering him on smh my head

I think this is accurate. The more general audience hears “a sequel to BOTW” and that’s pretty much all they need. Some more hardcore fans want more details in advance to hype/speculate about.
I know that’s all I needed. Same goes for Zelda in general.

i cant believe Aonuma is trying to discredit the brilliant analysts of online internet forums who have spent months saying the opposite. Who he thinks he is?
Not surprised to read this. Quite a lot of incompetent people claiming there wasn't something off with the marketing, so it's great to see an admission right from Nintendo themselves.
DeVitoLimoncello.jpg

Interesting.

Nintendo "Says a thing"
"Wow, they mean the exact opposite of what they just said!"

Serious question: How much more explicit do you need it to be to believe it than the most prominent person on the games team coming out and saying "Yeah we realised that we weren't showing enough" isn't enough to convince you of what they thought.
All the marketing defenders are REAL silent today.....
See.

They do listen.

So I have no real horse in this race, but...
What is it about this topic that brought out all the obsessive vindictive toxicity from you people? Are you that bent on being "right" in some argument?

What exactly is it that broke you people? Try and relax, drink some water and do some yoga or something lol

Also, maybe read the article instead of hyper focusing on the one part that OP wanted you to bicker about (that isn't even the focus of the article!)

You know that isn't true, Nintendo comically under shipped the game, the game clearly exceeded their expectations.
Well yeah we know it was badly undershipped physically. We don't know whether that was simply because they didn't have very high expectations for it, or if they were pushing to have everyone but digitally. Maybe both. I'd assume mostly the latter given the weird announcement and release, in which case we don't know how much of a success that really was. Regardless the game has since been very available, and seemingly hasn't had better than expected legs.

At a time when remasters and remakes are doing better than ever, often selling more than the original, it's a rather questionable to see MPR on a path to selling significantly worse than the original release.

This discourse is making some of you far more obnoxious that I expected you could be. Great job Famiboards, a new thing to be insufferable about
Yikes? People are just discussing this. The takes don’t seem insufferable. Sarcasm, name-calling and finger pointing however aren’t really helping matters.

Yikes? People are just discussing this. The takes don’t seem insufferable. Sarcasm, name-calling and finger pointing however aren’t really helping matters.
Lol don't "yikes" me like you're high roading me or something.

Yeah, they do seem insufferable. Sarcasm, name-calling, and finger pointing are the things that these people are doing that I'm referring to.

Just from my own experience here but all anyone around me was waiting for was hearing the word "dungeon." That's 100% all they wanted. Just say "there are dungeons." Not shrines, "dungeons." And up until that last trailer started showing locations that looked like bigger setpieces, all of those people ignored the trailers and there was no hype.

And continuing from that, I don't know if I've ever thought of Zelda as a "mechanically driven experience" so showing me a bunch of stuff I can do with logs doesn't really mean much to me in a vacuum.

The Metroid Prime Remastered situation is an oddball. Seems like the game met/exceeded Nintendo's expectations, but that doesn't mean much when those expectations were so low to the ground. For whatever reason, Nintendo had very low expectations for it, and it's fair to wonder if it would have done better if Nintendo had given it better treatment. The critical and fan reception was absurdly positive, only 1M sales for a remaster of that caliber is hard to view as anything but disappointing.

What is it about this topic that brought out all the obsessive vindictive toxicity from you people? Are you that bent on being "right" in some argument?

What exactly is it that broke you people? Try and relax, drink some water and do some yoga or something lol

Also, maybe read the article instead of hyper focusing on the one part that OP wanted you to bicker about (that isn't even the focus of the article!)
Only half of those read as particularly vindictive to me, and you've already taken a random unwarranted potshot at OP earlier. I agree that this thread (and the marketing argument as a whole) is getting pointlessly nasty, but this isn't helping things at all.

So Inhave no real horse in this race, but...

I'm really not emotionally invested in this, my comment was pretty tongue-and-cheek. But a lot of people were really confident that there was nothing wrong or off with TOTK's marketing. So it's funny to see people eat crow now.

Well yeah we know it was badly undershipped physically. We don't know whether that was simply because they didn't have very high expectations for it, or if they were pushing to have everyone but digitally. Maybe both. I'd assume mostly the latter given the weird announcement and release, in which case we don't know how much of a success that really was. Regardless the game has since been very available, and seemingly hasn't had better than expected legs.

At a time when remasters and remakes are doing better than ever, often selling more than the original, it's a rather questionable to see MPR on a path to selling significantly worse than the original release.
Metroid is a niche series which best selling game for 20+ years didn't even sell 3 million copies. In 2 months a "low budget" remaster sold over 1 million copies. There's no world in which that can even be remotely viewed as a disappointment. 1 million was likely Nintendo's lifetime sales hope for the Prime remaster, and it blew past that immediately, despite Nintendo's best efforts to kneecap it's sales with under shipping the physical copy and not giving it a proper marketing cycle.

If it makes you feel any better. You misunderstood my post completely.

Tho, I gotta be honest. You have a bad habit of being confrontational and hostile. And I’ve mentioned it before.

If it makes you feel any better. You misunderstood my post completely.

Tho, I gotta be honest. You have a bad habit of being confrontational and hostile. And I’ve mentioned it before.
Mind explaining your post to me? My bad.

Good job, Nintendo fans. You successfully bullied an elderly man into playing a game, something you wouldn't do yourselves.
This is the important takeaway. The moment we get the big 3D Mario reveal, we need to immediately start bitching about not knowing what the hell it's showing. Force Koizumi's ass into the dreaded gameplay demonstration chair. He doesn't get a choice.

This is the important takeaway. The moment we get the big 3D Mario reveal, we need to immediately start bitching about not knowing what the hell it's showing. Force Koizumi's ass into the dreaded gameplay demonstration chair. He doesn't get a choice.
Lesson here is: Being obnoxious is acceptable if it leads to good things.

I'm really not emotionally invested in this, my comment was pretty tongue-and-cheek. But a lot of people were really confident that there was nothing wrong or off with TOTK's marketing. So it's funny to see people eat crow now.
I feel like people might be losing the plot

Personally speaking, I feel like people were less saying the marketing was fine, and more than there was no cause for concern due to the marketing. Team "Concern" was more about being concerned about the game due to the lack of marketing, and I think the results speak for themselves there

Personally speaking, I feel like people were less saying the marketing was fine, and more than there was no cause for concern due to the marketing. Team "Concern" was more about being concerned about the game due to the lack of marketing, and I think the results speak for themselves there
Yeah, this feels like team "it's just an expansion" trying to pivot their comically bad take into one where they were somehow right.

You want to know what happened?

People took the piss out of everyone who wasn't on board with how little they were showing in marketing the game, for literal months and here we are with the head of the game saying yeah, they made a oopsy, probably should have planned to show a bit more. Inevitably people are going to feel a little vindicated.

You can probably do a search and find tens of posts just from this week of people sarcastically saying "oh, if only they marketed it well!".

I mean, it was nothing but teases interspersed throughout 4 years. What did they think would happen? Until Aonuma’s gameplay, they never said a word about fuse or ultrahand. And that was a little over a month until release.

This is all precisely the reason why everybody thought something wasn’t coming together during development or that this game didn’t have much actually new to it. Or the “what is taking them 6 years for a sequel made out of DLC ideas?” Concern was definitely not unfounded.

Some people probably used the lack of marketing to justify their dumb opinions yeah. From my perspective I wasn't worried about the quality of the game, more just annoyed at the lackadaisical and anti-hype marketing campaign that was vehemently defended at points.

Like yeah, it's Zelda and a sequel to BOTW, marketing doesn't matter much when the game is guaranteed to sell well. But bare minimum, dripfeed reveals made me care less as a fan.

Last edited:
In order to avoid this in the future, for the next Zelda game they should just stream a complete playthrough of it before release. They can't say "you're not showing us anything" if you show them everything. This would also get rid of the leaker problem too, because no one can leak the game early if you leak it yourself! Two birds with one stone. Hire me Nintendo.

ahem

oh, if only I, a humble but devout Documental viewer, had some sort of interactive entertainment involving strategic gameplay and endorsed by my favorite and trusted comedian

tbh i think some of it comes from the fact that forum poster types also tend to be the ones that get as much entertainment, if not more in some cases, out of hype cycles as they do the actual video game at the end of the line so they have a personal emotional investment about being right about this topic in particular.

totk's extended 6 year long dev cycle was so tight lipped that it didnt give them anything to work with, and if every major nintendo release was like that moving forward they wouldnt have that anymore.

who do I have to cyberbully to get Matsumoto in the Pikmin 4 Direct

me 🥺

What exactly is the point of arguing about this? For a game like TOTK, widely and wildly heralded almost immediately as the greatest video game ever created, the marketing is actually irrelevant to the actual game. Everyone would've recognized it as the unbelievable masterpiece of design and engineering whether they released trailer #3 back in 2019, or if they never released it at all. Being "hyped" for months or years doesn't actually make a game better. What exactly does anyone here have to gain if Nintendo makes a billion dollars within 3 days or 5 or 10 or 20? The game is the same.

Lol don't "yikes" me like you're high roading me or something.

Yeah, they do seem insufferable. Sarcasm, name-calling, and finger pointing are the things that these people are doing that I'm referring to.
Apparently I'm high roading when you're doing stuff like this:

You're not being altrusistic, you're being more blatantly acting how you're telling others they're behaving, ratcheting up the tension to 11 by taking what are obviously jokes/remarks and telling the users directly that they're insufferable, obnoxious, toxic, etc. and painting the whole of Famiboards with a wide swath. You claim they're hyperfocusing on the article, but you're coming across as more defensive of the jokes and criticism than anything else, as if people can't have a critical opinion. Essentially, you're telling people they cannot behave in a way that you dislike, and you perceive it as toxicity, but it mostly comes across as tongue-in-cheek jokes or remarks (aside from the one user calling people "incompetent"). And like DecoReturns said, you have a history of hostility. The mod team even had to make a public statement about your behavior at one point.

Honestly, should any of this be surprising, though? It's been building up a long time. The marketing of this game has been a hotly debated topic for years, and there were a fair number of people who were dismissive if not outright combative with those who expressed concern or confusion about the marketing. Seeing the series producer himself admit they knew they had a problem with their marketing would naturally give people who felt frustrated and belittled for months or years the incintive to comment, and if they have some sarcasm in there, it's probably because they're thinking of the ones who mocked and argued with them about it being a non-issue before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom