• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo was worried TOTK marketing was not resonating with fans, which prompted them to fast track a gameplay demonstration to clarify its mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd absolutely encourage people to read the full article, because it's a great read with tidbits about development of the game and Aonuma, instead of using a single paragraph to return to a months-long forum battle about Who Was Right On The Internet.
There's some interesting tidbits but the portion OP made a thread over is 100% the most interesting section.

There's some interesting tidbits but the portion OP made a thread over is 100% the most interesting section.
I think that's pretty subjective. It's notable that Nintendo were a) seeing how enthusiast fans were reacting and b) decided to pivot in response to that, but the broader article is about the series and Aonuma's career and I think that's more interesting.

Good job, Nintendo fans. You successfully bullied an elderly man into playing a game, something you wouldn't do yourselves.
Hold the phone, how did we go from Nintendo realizing that their marketing wasn't working and deciding to release a gameplay demonstration, to "Nintendo fans bullied Aonuma into playing Zelda."

This feels quite unnecessarily inflammatory.

EDIT: Ohhhhh, I get the feeling this may have been sarcasm; I'm completely unable to tell when people are being sarcastic due to ye olde autism lmao

Last edited:
Good job, Nintendo fans. You successfully bullied an elderly man into playing a game, something you wouldn't do yourselves.
Famiboards just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo's company culture (I'm an expert), but prestige and subdued product marketing are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at Ubisoft where you can become successful by making generic open worlds. If you force Aonuma to reveal more of TotK than he's comfortable with, you bring shame to this community, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by defending the $70 price point.

What this means is that Nintendo, after hearing about this, is not going to want to maintain the sense of secrecy that comes with a limited marketing campaign. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Fami has altered Nintendo's plans for the worse with this move.

Famiboards, publicly apologize and praise the lack of gameplay footage shown or you can kiss your accounts goodbye.

Hold the phone, how did we go from Nintendo realizing that their marketing wasn't working and deciding to release a gameplay demonstration, to "Nintendo fans bullied Aonuma into playing Zelda."

This feels quite unnecessarily inflammatory.
I don't think I can help you with this one.

All the marketing defenders are REAL silent today.....
Nop. I think they did great, until that gameplay video. We didn't need it. People weren't waiting "clarification", they just wanted a big trailer as the January 2017 trailer for BOTW. And they got it in April.

When I'm talking about people I'm not talking about me, I didn't want new informations at all, Zelda games are big action / adventure games, I want to discover the games by myself and not to be spoiled. The first trailers were great because we have seen enough to be hyped, but without too big spoilers.

The gameplay video? It was the worst way to show the game and I think that many people had big concerns at this point because of this video. "it will be Minecraft 2??", "where are my dungeons??", I had to explain to my friends that it's just a gameplay video to show the new skills for Link.

that what he gets for making me find triforce pieces back in 2003

It was the best quest for me because you have to explore the game and you understand why this island or this this one does exist.

Last edited:
Never felt less hyped before the release of a new Zelda entry. Im glad, they released that final Trailer.

Game is genius. I don't know why they try to hide that

I didn't know that he had deeply studied puppetry as a student. That provides great insight into the breakthroughs of Ocarina of Time.

They just said exactly that verbatim. I don't understand how you're struggling to comprehend this simple chain of events. For a start, there was over a month and a half 2 between trailer 2 and the gameplay demo, and we know it was recorded late because it starts with Aonuma telling us development was finished.

"The reaction to our trailers isn't going down as well as we hoped because people aren't understanding what's new or where the fun is"
-> Nintendo as a company will ask "What can we do about it?"
->And as we saw, their answer was "We'll create an additional gameplay short video demonstrating the new features."
Aonuma says that "People had not gotten their heads around the gameplay elements or where the fun might be", when you consider that trailer #2 is not showing Fuse, since it's hard to show in the trailer alone at all (they only show just bomb flower attached to a weapon) and in fact in the #2 trailer they are not showing Ascend ability, the one that they shown first time (and last time) in a E3 2021 trailer. Am not saying that the gameplay video was always in a cards but when they had not shown 2 important abilities of the game in #2 trailer it's kind of telling that they had something in mind before the final trailer. Not sure where else would they detail these 2 abilities if not in a gameplay video.

Well, glad to see Nintendo decided to change and show more in the last weeks.

And I seriously hope this never happens again with a future Zelda, judging by the article, it seems they are going to keep monitoring the fans reactions and adapting accordingly.

"Nintendo was worried..."
People on the internet: "the game would be a flop because of the abysmal marketing, thank god they listened to us"

Aonuma says that "People had not gotten their heads around the gameplay elements or where the fun might be", when you consider that trailer #2 is not showing Fuse, since it's hard to show in the trailer alone at all (they only show just bomb flower attached to a weapon) and in fact in the #2 trailer they are not showing Ascend ability, the one that they shown first time (and last time) in a E3 2021 trailer. Am not saying that the gameplay video was always in a cards but when they had not shown 2 important abilities of the game in #2 trailer it's kind of telling that they had something in mind before the final trailer. Not sure where else would they detail these 2 abilities if not in a gameplay video.
They could just...not. There are other abilities in the game that they never showed off. Doesn't sound from Aonuma's quote like the gameplay demonstration was planned in advance.

Trailer 2 was neat but at that point we were all suuuuper ready for a proper reveal of things rather than what felt like just more teasing. The gameplay demonstration and the final trailer put together were where I could sort of properly get a sense of what I was in for, which was nice and probably helped a ton for overall marketing. The final trailer probably still would have been fine and dandy without the gameplay demo before it, but the mixture of both helped a lot, I think

People need to stop acting like "because it sold a lot" is justification for anything.

Uh, who's doing that in this thread?

I was responding to someone who said "I hope they learned their lesson" like they're some schoolteacher or something, and I'm pointing out that they likely did not "learn a lesson" other than what they did can result in those kinds of sales. The whole reason I responded is because what kind of tightwad says "I hope they learned their lesson"? Chill.

What is up with everybody having a stick up their ass in this thread? Is it seriously that important to y'all that you were right about some stupid argument about whether or not you think Nintendo marketed something enough? Congrats, you're clairvoyant and everyone will heed your opinion.

Between this and Metroid Prime Remastered, Nintendo was definitely trying to be too secretive/surprising with their marketing.

This discourse is making some of you far more obnoxious that I expected you could be. Great job Famiboards, a new thing to be insufferable about

Also OP i'm getting pretty tired of your flame war threads, try making stuff with more substance instead of just trying to create the Next Big Discourse every day or whatever you're doing

Nop. I think they did great, until that gameplay video. We didn't need it. People weren't waiting "clarification", they just wanted a big trailer as the January 2017 trailer for BOTW. And they got it in April.

When I'm talking about people I'm not talking about me, I didn't want new informations at all, Zelda games are big action / adventure games, I want to discover the games by myself and not to be spoiled. The first trailers were great because we have seen enough to be hyped, but without too big spoilers.

The gameplay video? It was the worst way to show the game and I think that many people had big concerns at this point because of this video. "it will be Minecraft 2??", "where are my dungeons??", I had to explain to my friends that it's just a gameplay video to show the new skills for Link.

It was the best quest for me because you have to explore the game and you understand why this island or this this one does exist.
The thing is. I explore practically every island by then lol. I enjoyed getting the bait and having the fish marked the map. But that quest never felt genuine, felt more like we ran out of time. First game I played when I was a kid where I was confused about this design. Especially with the 3 gem being given to you outright.

It’s still my favorite Zelda game for all the other reasons. But that quest wasn’t on my good side.

They could just...not. There are other abilities in the game that they never showed off. Doesn't sound from Aonuma's quote like the gameplay demonstration was planned in advance.
Because they are spoilers related, just like they were in BOTW, that's why they never showed them of.

Uh, who's doing that in this thread?

I was responding to someone who said "I hope they learned their lesson" like they're some schoolteacher or something, and I'm pointing out that they likely did not "learn a lesson" other than what they did can result in those kinds of sales. The whole reason I responded is because what kind of tightwad says "I hope they learned their lesson"? Chill.

What is up with everybody having a stick up their ass in this thread? Is it seriously that important to y'all that you were right about some stupid argument about whether or not you think Nintendo marketed something enough? Congrats, you're clairvoyant and everyone will heed your opinion.
I apologize if my previous post upset you. I can guarantee I wasn't villainously shaking my fist while saying, "Ahr, Ahr! I hope they learned their lesson!". lol

I always had faith in the Zelda team, and I knew I was going to buy the game on day 1 even without any marketing at all, but I found the leading up to the release... dull. Not exhausting or depressing, nothing this sort of bad. Just dull, with trailers that showed nothing of the game. The "lesson" I hope they learned is that actually showing your game keeps the community's engagement high.

Even with the marketing pivot, I’m surprised they withheld as much as they did. Something like the Depths, sure, that’s a cool secret to keep under wraps. But the Shrine situation was kept secret up until release, and the end result was…exactly the same as in Breath of the Wild. One of the most important aspects of the gameplay loop was obscured, despite there being no element of surprise attached.

I dunno, it feels like Nintendo was being secretive just for the sake of it with certain things. Obviously didn’t hurt their bottom line, but I hope we see more clarity in the future about how things work, along with more truncated marketing cycles in general. The XC3 marketing was absolutely perfect, more of that please.

I'm actually surprised this wasn't planned, I always assumed a treehouse or some other kind of gameplay demonstration was part of the plan. Otherwise yeah the marketing would've been quite confusing.

All the marketing defenders are REAL silent today.....
No we're not. Some of us literally posted here. I laughed about it because it is funny. It is not THAT serious lmao. I have no problems saying I was kind of wrong for thinking Nintendo knew what they were doing from the start. I'm not going to cry for giving them credit. I had no reason not to.

I think some people got way too butthurt over this situation. I shouldn't be called names over nothing.

tbh i dont really think the takeaway here is that they needed to show substantially more. it took them all the way up until 2 months before release before they were even raisinf an eyebrow lol

plus the gameplay demonstration, though i didnt watch it at the time, seemed pretty polarizing in enthusaist communties, based on the vibes i got on twitter, here and in discord.
as polarizing as something like it could be, anyway. it was the final trailer they dropped which really felt like it cranked up the hype.

i hope if there is any lesson learned here between totk and them shadow dropping mpr and both being pretty successful is that they can play their cards close to their chest and still do well

i hope if there is any lesson learned here between totk and them shadow dropping mpr and both being pretty successful is that they can play their cards close to their chest and still do well
See I thought that's what they were doing lol. I've said that the silence doesn't matter in the end. But what does matter is when the marketing finally kicks up and then the release. And I stand by that fully. However, the low key marketing DID matter because the reaction caused Nintendo to pivot. So my statement was right but it was based on the wrong assumption that this was the plan. So I was wrong. And the whole thing is pretty interesting to be honest. Maybe they will pick something from it. However, I hope they don't. As someone who plans to stick around here for a while I don't ever want to have this conversation again only to be called names in the end lmfao.

Last edited:
I appreciate that Nintendo kept a lot of info about TotK close to the chest, it made actually playing the game even more enjoyable imo.

I feel like Nintendo took the wrong message if they thought that 10 minute hands on was a pivot to their marketing plans. What people had whined about was not seeing enough new content, which the hands on did little to address.

I feel like Nintendo took the wrong message if they thought that 10 minute hands on was a pivot to their marketing plans. What people had whined about was not seeing enough new content, which the hands on did little to address.
Depends on which people you're referring to. Forumgoers like us maybe thought that way but I'm guessing more general audiences were the ones that were a bit confused about the abilities.

Depends on which people you're referring to. Forumgoers like us maybe thought that way but I'm guessing more general audiences were the ones that were a bit confused about the abilities.
See from what I saw it was the general audiences that were very hyped. It was enthusiasts who were kind of scratching their heads.

I mean. The 10 minute gameplay demonstration was very positively received. So they’re not taking anything negative away if they’re reading responses to what lead to that peice of marketing

See from what I saw it was the general audiences that were very hyped. It was enthusiasts who were kind of scratching their heads.
I think this is accurate. The more general audience hears “a sequel to BOTW” and that’s pretty much all they need. Some more hardcore fans want more details in advance to hype/speculate about.

tbh i dont really think the takeaway here is that they needed to show substantially more. it took them all the way up until 2 months before release before they were even raisinf an eyebrow lol

plus the gameplay demonstration, though i didnt watch it at the time, seemed pretty polarizing in enthusaist communties, based on the vibes i got on twitter, here and in discord.
as polarizing as something like it could be, anyway. it was the final trailer they dropped which really felt like it cranked up the hype.

Hard to see MPR as a success tbh. 1 million units in the first 2 months is way under what anyone was expecting/hoping for with that. I mean maybe Nintendo had zero expectations for the release, and that's why they did what they did, but that number doesn't seem like a great look for the franchise or MP4.

There was definately a switch in marketing in the lead up. The first 3 tears were kinda meh, until the final one.

Still an amazing game.

Hard to see MPR as a success tbh. 1 million units in the first 2 months is way under what anyone was expecting/hoping for with that. I mean maybe Nintendo had zero expectations for the release, and that's why they did what they did, but that number doesn't seem like a great look for the franchise or MP4.
Is it? Dread is a new game and as far as we know it never passed 3 million (I assume it did, but probably not by much).

If anything, based on this interview I can see them realizing that this is a bad idea and should stick to normal marketing cycles going forward. For Zelda, on top of what Aonuma said, the entire artbook leaked and spoiled a lot of shit outside of the marketing (though thankfully nothing major) which definitely pissed them off. For Metroid, while I maintain that it sold well given its circumstances, I can imagine Nintendo was thinking about the sales potential had they treated it like a normal release when they announced an increase of physical shipments

1 million copies sold for a remaster of a 20 year old gamecube game for $40 is pretty damn good lol, especially considering metroid isnt a huge force in sales to begin with?

You know that isn't true, Nintendo comically under shipped the game, the game clearly exceeded their expectations.

Never felt less hyped before the release of a new Zelda entry. Im glad, they released that final Trailer.

Game is genius. I don't know why they try to hide that
All of the trailers were meh-meh. I had zero hype after watching them, but I got the game, because it cost me something like ~52eur. Thankfully the game is good. Really baffling that the marketing was so weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom