• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo to remove the possibility of taking screenshots from your switch and posting it on Twitter.

I knew Nintendo would kill Twitter support eventually, but I was kind of hoping they’d patch in fediverse support in some way when they did… Guess the Switch’s successor likely won’t have any social network linking at all then, huh?

Basically the only reason I used any social media on the switch. :/ Hell it was basically the only actual non-replies on my Twitter account. It sucks, but Dipshit Elon has irreversibly ruined the site so I don't blame Nintendo.

Honestly I was expecting Nintendo to start disassociating with Twitter a lot sooner lol

A shame for the players who use the feature, but given the API changes I totally get it

I knew Nintendo would kill Twitter support eventually, but I was kind of hoping they’d patch in fediverse support in some way when they did… Guess the Switch’s successor likely won’t have any social network linking at all then, huh?
There was no way they were going to add support for a mirror of Miiverse propped up by fans, lol.

There was no way they were going to add support for a mirror of Miiverse propped up by fans, lol.
I meant fediverse support in general, not just one specific instance. They could make it so that you could post to any fediverse instance.

Damn, Twitter was by far the easiest way to share gameplay videos. A lot of the Splatoon community including myself use it.

I guess the upside is another deserved L for the Muskrat.

I always transferred my shit through a usb and copy onto my PC/laptop anyways which I then use whats on the PC/laptop to upload anyways.

I liked the Twitter intergration for Switch at checking the #NintendoSwitch hashtag would routinely show lots of screenshots and shenanigans about the games people were playing. It was particularly active around weekends, holidays and new releases.

X sucks, but a part of me is sad it's going away because it was so convenient to share screenshots and video clips. It was its own positive community in a sea of shit (pre-Musk takeover) i've used it less since it became X, but i had a lot of fun using it and followed many people who did use it. I'll be honest, I bought some games because screenshots/videos posted looked neat.

That said, for those using twitter integraiton to x'fer screenshots to PC or Phone, seriously, use the Switch to PC USB x'fer feature. You can move your entire album to a backup drive, USB stick or what have you. And Twitter compresses the already compressed files futher so the quality you see on twitter isn't always great.

One of the datamine in Splatoon 3 indicated that this will happen eventually, so it's enlightening that they finally made their plans known.

Anyway, it seems that now Splatoon 2 is going through the same thing that Splatoon 1 when they announced the discontinuation of image sharing. I can already imagine the torrent of departure-like posts in Splatoon 2 regarding the ending of such images, just as it happened in Splatoon 1 back in November 2017.

Personally I only opened a Twitter account because I wanted to share a Splatoon 2 art I did, but I ended up using Twitter a bit. Besides sharing screenshots and video from the Switch, it didn't work out in the end because hardly anyone paid attention to what I posted. Even the art I posted on Twitter didn't get much attention, though ironically the art I did when I posted on Super Mario Wiki's post had more posts than I could've gotten.

Given how Twitter becomes more closed to the public and also how the moderation makes the site more unwelcomed (going by what other people said since I never browsed it for posts these days), perhaps it had to happen. What this would mean for the Switch successor remains to be seen, but hopefully Nintendo has an option for sharing posts.

Thank you for reading.

Damn, Twitter was by far the easiest way to share gameplay videos.
I think people should be focusing more on this, Musketeer will Musketeer but we're left in an awkward position where sharing ss is just a hassle. Nintendo's alternatives aren't good, and last I checked, phone sharing didn't work in Samsung phones, and it didn't for a very long while.

I think people should be focusing more on this, Musketeer will Musketeer but we're left in an awkward position where sharing ss is just a hassle. Nintendo's alternatives aren't good, and last I checked, phone sharing didn't work in Samsung phones, and it didn't for a very long while.
I actually was surprised how easy we had it. I bought a PS5 recently and had a share option, that you can only use to send to other users, then had to look that you need to download the app, then enable auto upload the media, then download the media in the app and then finally share it (or use a usb, but oh the usb a type is only on the back so have to move the entire console to plug the usb drive)

feel like the title should be edited a tad

current standing makes it sound like they're disabling the screenshot button altogether, lmao

I hope Nintendo comes up with an alternative of sharing clips due to not wanting to pay the Twitter API, but I won't count on it. I can at least send them to my phone but having to jump through an extra hoop is gonna be annoying. Especially cause this will go into place right before Monkey Ball Banana Rumble comes out, woulda been really easy to upload some tricks with that. Ah well, Twitter likely won't be around for much longer anyways with how Elon's running it.

Absolutely comical damage control that no one believes in the slightest. Masterful gambit.

That is not a loss for me. I deleted my Twitter account a long time ago. There were too many “not nice” people for me there.

I've complained about Twitter on Famiboard in the past but a quick, simple way of getting Switch screenshots out wasn't one of them.
Kinda sad to see this function go but screw X.... Don't give him ya money, Ninty!

THAT said, I really dislike the Musky manchild but thank goodness, my private Twitter feed was never the cesspool that others experience. Maybe it's because I'm 'careful' with my curation and really happy to block anyone I don't want to see. Including Musk himself. Post a single GenAI artwork? Blocked. My experience of Twitter is generally confined to my immediate interest and that helps. I guess.

I'm surprised this hadn't already happened. Must have gotten mixed up with other platforms dropping it.

I use the PS and Xbox mobile apps to grab screenshots from those consoles, would be nice if there was one for Switch too.

On the one hand, it was by far the easiest and most hassle-free way to share screenshots with other people. On the other hand, fuck Muskrat and his cesspit of a social media platform

Imagine owning a website so ubiquitous that console manufacturers have to create a button for sharing, and then running into the ground so much they no longer want to deal with that.

Honestly, with this happening I wonder if Nintendo might actually try their hand at a Miiverse successor with Switch 2. It would be an absolute shame to drop the concept of sharing your screenshots/gameplay entirely, but it’s clear they can’t rely on third party applications anymore.

Good.

Any time I hear anything that relates to less usage of twitter I am happy.

I barely used it before but now I am of the radical opinion that using it makes you kinda complicit?

You are still contributing to the idea that twitter is somehow "the public square" but in reality for quite a while it's algorithmically conveying the whims and wishes of a political activist that Musk is.

We need to move on and we need to move on fast.

Surprised it took this long, honestly. Writing was on the wall when the new API fees were revealed. But also, current day Xitter is probably not a place you want younger players interacting with, at all.

The best news coming out of this is Splatoon 3 allowing to make posts without linking to social media. As someone who killed her FB and Xitter accounts years ago, I've been unable to use the plaza for most of Splatoon 3's runtime. I need to catch up on that now.

Great, three extra steps to put the same compressed clips and screens on X. Because where else is there. X sucks but none of their young competitors are doing jack either.

Don't blame em for saying na to the API fees but I also don't see myself caring enough about native captures on this hardware to use an sd card and my PC to wind up sharing things on the same site going forward.

It's not like I can send people on my friend list screens or something /:

wonder if Nintendo will need to come up with another miiverse-like solution if social media platforms keep getting worse.

wonder if Nintendo will need to come up with another miiverse-like solution if social media platforms keep getting worse.
For something like games, I have zero issue with a heavily curated platform. I’d rather a network for sharing games footage/pics was anonymous, cheerful and safe, even if it were clunky, than full of chuds, scammers and bots.

Lots of people are going to blame Nintendo, but this is squarely Twitter's fault. That site is overrun with bots and racist nutjobs, and I don't blame Nintendo or any other company from wanting to distance themselves from it.

it is twitters fault but it prolly isnt because of any of this.

about a year ago elon cranked up the cost of using the twitter api for companies on a large scale to starting at $42,000 USD a month. microsoft and sony pulled out a long time ago and frankly im surprised nintendo hung on for this long.

relatively low on his lengthy list of misdeeds but still a healthy reason to hate musk all the same

There's a community note on that xGaming tweet now. lol

I was using the free tier API for a few years pre-Elon and the pricing change ruined it for me too. Of course he claims it's necessary to prevent bot spam, but that problem is 100x worse since he took over and fired everyone who knew how the site works.

Well as somebody who has:

1. Never gotten the transfer to phone feature to work, and
2. Is (usually) too lazy to hook my Switch up to my PC to transfer stuff

All I can say is damn.
Nintendo designed a truly asinine "wireless transfer" feature, I must admit. They just didn't fucking test it except for one iPhone years ago. It's infuriating.

I'd like to see Google Drive, OneDrive etc. integration if they can. I wish there was a reliable open source wireless share protocol that wasn't discontinued, at the moment all I can think is to allow Quick Share.

Nintendo designed a truly asinine "wireless transfer" feature, I must admit. They just didn't fucking test it except for one iPhone years ago. It's infuriating.

I'd like to see Google Drive, OneDrive etc. integration if they can. I wish there was a reliable open source wireless share protocol that wasn't discontinued, at the moment all I can think is to allow Quick Share.
It genuinely is infuriating. Since the Switch came out I've used both a Samsung Galaxy S8 and an iPhone 12 Mini, and neither has worked consistently. It's not like they never work, but they don't work more often than they do work.

Now we just need Nintendo to move their official channels off Twitter instead of doubling down the doddery old sods.

YouTube community page, Threads, hell, update the actual website blog! Anything but goddamn X.

It genuinely is infuriating. Since the Switch came out I've used both a Samsung Galaxy S8 and an iPhone 12 Mini, and neither has worked consistently. It's not like they never work, but they don't work more often than they do work.
The default QR code scanner on Android is Google Lens, which needs a network connection, understandable enough!

But Switch share requires a QR Code scanner with SOME NETWORK MANAGEMENT PERMISSIONS WHICH WORKS OFFLINE to work "seamlessly".

iPhone KINDA technically maybe has that but even it can't work it consistently! It blows tremendous chunks! Why can't it open as a drive on the network if it's going to be annoying? New Nintendo 3DS could do that!

The default QR code scanner on Android is Google Lens, which needs a network connection, understandable enough!

But Switch share requires a QR Code scanner with SOME NETWORK MANAGEMENT PERMISSIONS WHICH WORKS OFFLINE to work "seamlessly".

iPhone KINDA technically maybe has that but even it can't work it consistently! It blows tremendous chunks! Why can't it open as a drive on the network if it's going to be annoying? New Nintendo 3DS could do that!
I've never had an issue with the QR code scanning part. Just do it directly in the network settings menu and Firefox respectively.

I've never gotten the QR thing to work even once, so I guess I'll be using the USB-C method going forward.

Now we just need Nintendo to move their official channels off Twitter instead of doubling down the doddery old sods.

YouTube community page, Threads, hell, update the actual website blog! Anything but goddamn X.

What works for me is:
  • Scan the QR code to connect to wifi
  • Click on the "This network has no internet, stay connected?" popup and say yes
  • Scan the QR code for the website with the screenshots
  • Disable phone data, keep wifi on
  • Refresh the web browser
It's weird because it's spotty on my phone, sometimes it just works seamlessly, sometimes it requires doing this. But also, the Tamagotchi Uni uses the same two QR code system to save screenshots, and I feel it somehow fails less there?

Is it just certain phones that have issues with the QR code file transfer thing? Because I use it all the time without any problems. I seriously love the feature specifically because of how well it works! Much better than uploading to Facebook or Twitter and having to download them from there with in worse quality due to the added compression. Sucks if that’s not the case on all devices, though.

I don’t get why people insist on Miiverse coming back. It was good, but look at the cesspool that Twitter is, but imagine it transferring over to Miiverse 2.0. Nintendo won’t spend money in servers, nor moderators

Is it just certain phones that have issues with the QR code file transfer thing? Because I use it all the time without any problems. I seriously love the feature specifically because of how well it works! Much better than uploading to Facebook or Twitter and having to download them from there with in worse quality due to the added compression. Sucks if that’s not the case on all devices, though.
The trouble I have with it is my phone doesn't always wanna connect to the WiFi network that the QR code gives it. When it senses a lack on internet connection on the WiFi it sometimes just rejects the connection. Often it gives me a warning message and asks if I'm sure I wanna stay connected, but only after it's already attempted and frozen the connection once, and it doesn't give me that message and option every time.

It's a really cumbersome experience. It works! But it's not like, Nintendo-smooth. Xbox lets me upload screenshots right to my account and then I can access the website on my phone or laptop and download them no problem. Even that glitches a lot (the Xbox service often can't "see" the screenshots I've taken at first, sometimes not for a day or two) but the way it's designed to work is more what I'd like to see Nintendo do. Hell, just the option to access them from the NSO phone app would be fantastic.

Quoted by: Tye
Good riddance. Now I just need everyone else to stop using it. Speaking as someone who has never used Twitter besides having to click on the "Loading Tweet..." when that's all someone posts on here. Also, people, stop doing that too. Thanks.

Musk losing another revenue stream is sweet enough to me.

I didn't use the feature so I guess i can't say I got bones in this argument other than my dislike of the man.

What works for me is:
  • Scan the QR code to connect to wifi
  • Click on the "This network has no internet, stay connected?" popup and say yes
  • Scan the QR code for the website with the screenshots
  • Disable phone data, keep wifi on
  • Refresh the web browser
It's weird because it's spotty on my phone, sometimes it just works seamlessly, sometimes it requires doing this. But also, the Tamagotchi Uni uses the same two QR code system to save screenshots, and I feel it somehow fails less there?

This is how I've gotten all my stuff of the Switch, and honestly, it's all a huge pain in the butt. I have no clue why they don't build in the functionality to pull your media from the Switch album through the actual Switch phone app that they decided to try and get people to use for voice chat. Sony does this, and I'm not sure if Xbox does through the phone, but I use their computer app to get my media stuff.

The trouble I have with it is my phone doesn't always wanna connect to the WiFi network that the QR code gives it. When it senses a lack on internet connection on the WiFi it sometimes just rejects the connection. Often it gives me a warning message and asks if I'm sure I wanna stay connected, but only after it's already attempted and frozen the connection once, and it doesn't give me that message and option every time.

It's a really cumbersome experience. It works! But it's not like, Nintendo-smooth. Xbox lets me upload screenshots right to my account and then I can access the website on my phone or laptop and download them no problem. Even that glitches a lot (the Xbox service often can't "see" the screenshots I've taken at first, sometimes not for a day or two) but the way it's designed to work is more what I'd like to see Nintendo do. Hell, just the option to access them from the NSO phone app would be fantastic.
It does occasionally fail to connect with the first QR code scan for me too, but it’s rare and all I have to do is scan it again and it works fine. I dunno, I personally love that they offer an easy way to get your photos and screenshots wirelessly through a local connection directly from your Switch like this. And I’m guessing Nintendo has made the process as smooth as they can while having to accommodate a wide range of devices. (At least this method actually works on iOS devices, too—the USB file transfer option on Switch and wireless file transfer option on New 3DS only seem to work on Windows, not macOS.) It could be easier, sure, but other methods like you describe require uploading to some cloud service, essentially, which would likely cost money (or be included as part of NSO) and/or add further compression to your files.

There's a community note on that xGaming tweet now. lol

I was using the free tier API for a few years pre-Elon and the pricing change ruined it for me too. Of course he claims it's necessary to prevent bot spam, but that problem is 100x worse since he took over and fired everyone who knew how the site works.
Sadly Twitter has always had a bot problem. Previously bots were being used to inflate interaction numbers, I've been seeing a decline in them in interacting with/DMing me, but I think as long as a service is online there will always be bots. There will always be bots on Twitter, but the site was losing money hand over fist. Interaction bots were driving a lot of traffic and companies could just buy a farm to promote their tweets in the algorithm.

Sadly Twitter has always had a bot problem. Previously bots were being used to inflate interaction numbers, I've been seeing a decline in them in interacting with/DMing me, but I think as long as a service is online there will always be bots. There will always be bots on Twitter, but the site was losing money hand over fist. Interaction bots were driving a lot of traffic and companies could just buy a farm to promote their tweets in the algorithm.
Always had a bot problem, sure, but a significantly worse one under Elon's leadership. My point was that his stated reason for jacking up the API price--the reason that presumably led to Nintendo cutting ties--is nonsense at best. I won't be too cynical and speculate about about his real motivation. The most generous interpretation is that he's incompetent and pretending to be an expert on tech things is part of his brand.

Back
Top Bottom