• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo to remove the possibility of taking screenshots from your switch and posting it on Twitter.

1024px-Miiverse_logo.svg.png
If it only returned...

allow your platform to be swarmed with bots and the most bottom-of-the-barrel bigots/fascists imaginable, charge companies absurd amounts of money for the most basic means of accessing your API and then go "wtf why are all our major advertisers and partners leaving?!?!". fantastic job, elon. all according to plan i'm sure.

bluesky gang keeps winning.

What sucks about this is that there's no good replacement for Twitter yet. Bluesky is cool but no one is really on it and you know Nintendo isn't going to add support for it. At this point maybe a partnership with something like Buffer would work better, let users set up whatever accounts they want through there. That's not going to happen, but I also don't see another solution unless Nintendo hosts images themselves.

allow your platform to be swarmed with bots and the most bottom-of-the-barrel bigots/fascists imaginable, charge companies absurd amounts of money for the most basic means of accessing your API and then go "wtf why are all our major advertisers and partners leaving?!?!". fantastic job, elon. all according to plan i'm sure.

bluesky gang keeps winning.
I wouldn't be surprised if it literally is part of the plan. The victim complex is huge with rightwingers and he's already on the "everything I disagree with is woke" train, so if he forces major companies and a large part of the userbase off the platform and eventually the platform dies because of it he gets to say "see, the woke left have destroyed this platform that was once a pillar of worldwide communication because they hate freedom of speech." He's kinda been saying it already (just without the "they've killed it" part).

I wouldn't be surprised if it literally is part of the plan. The victim complex is huge with rightwingers and he's already on the "everything I disagree with is woke" train, so if he forces major companies and a large part of the userbase off the platform and eventually the platform dies because of it he gets to say "see, the woke left have destroyed this platform that was once a pillar of worldwide communication because they hate freedom of speech." He's kinda been saying it already (just without the "they've killed it" part).
Even simple bots were banned.

I had a bot that just creates a retangular pic of a colour randomly generated by hexadecimal numbers and posts online once per day.

I did not capture data, I did not post in other profiles, just a tweet a day type of account and it got axed.

Honestly, I do not know what they want. Charging an API like Reddit I can understand, but this in X makes no sense.

Too bad, I discovered a lot of new games reading the #NintendoSwitch hashtag. (Too bad that some publishers did not put the name of the game automatically in hashtags too).

Even simple bots were banned.

I had a bot that just creates a retangular pic of a colour randomly generated by hexadecimal numbers and posts online once per day.

I did not capture data, I did not post in other profiles, just a tweet a day type of account and it got axed.

Honestly, I do not know what they want. Charging an API like Reddit I can understand, but this in X makes no sense.

Too bad, I discovered a lot of new games reading the #NintendoSwitch hashtag. (Too bad that some publishers did not put the name of the game automatically in hashtags too).
Nutty that your bot was banned but the malicious bots are running hog wild 😩

Nintendo should make their own new social platform but make it available on all platforms and eat Twitter's lunch and dinner. It'd be funny because Elon would get mad, but Nintendo would act like he doesn't even exist.

Deleting my account, which has been a privated account specifically for Splatoon 3 posts since the platform became the official echo chamber of grown adults throwing tantrums over neutral to positive change™️ will be a huge weight off my shoulders.

It would be cool as hell if they got rid of Twitter integration but added Bluesky integration in its place
Better yet, they should just add universal fediverse support. Bluesky is supposed to federate eventually, right? And Threads already did, I think? May as well just do that and have it be completely open rather than be confined to one site.

I just want the next console to have an exclusive network like Miiverse, nothing more. Doesn’t even need to be integrated to anything, but be able to post both screenshots and long videos. No need for apps on the console, or web browser. But exclusive new internet functions could be welcome.

Better yet, they should just add universal fediverse support. Bluesky is supposed to federate eventually, right? And Threads already did, I think? May as well just do that and have it be completely open rather than be confined to one site.
I’ll pretend I understand and agree with you hahaha

Not gonna lie, gonna miss this because of how easy it was (I already learnt you can share it via usb directly without the QR shenannigans, but still an extra step).

I also was surprised how long it took, IIRC they started to charge those crazy API prices around may/june last year right? I was expecting Nintendo to bail out around december (MS remove it in April and Sony in November) but it was more than a year

Not gonna lie, gonna miss this because of how easy it was (I already learnt you can share it via usb directly without the QR shenannigans, but still an extra step).

I also was surprised how long it took, IIRC they started to charge those crazy API prices around may/june last year right? I was expecting Nintendo to bail out around december (MS remove it in April and Sony in November) but it was more than a year
I'm guessing building the replacement servers for Splatoon 3 was a significant factor in why Nintendo waited as long as they did. Probably didn't want to start turning things off until they were sure those were ready to go.

I remember there was a bit of controversy because Bluesky invented a new protocol so it can’t connect with Mastodon and other services that follow the standardized protocol (ActivityPub)

Theoretically it’s possible to somebody to make a bridge between the two, I think there’s some unofficial services allowing to follow people between both apps

Threads unfortunately I think it’s one-way only, folks from Mastodon can follow Threads accounts but not the opposite, they said it’s is in the plans, let’s see

But yeah them allowing to use to Mastodon accounts would be nice, specially if these other social networks stop the bullshit and follow the standards so everybody can follow each other no matter the app

I'm guessing building the replacement servers for Splatoon 3 was a significant factor in why Nintendo waited as long as they did. Probably didn't want to start turning things off until they were sure those were ready to go.
Dumb question as I don't play Splat 3
What does Twitter sharing of screens have to do with Splat 3 servers?

Dumb question as I don't play Splat 3
What does Twitter sharing of screens have to do with Splat 3 servers?
In the original Splatoon on Wii U, you could make Miiverse posts via a mailbox in the hub that would appear both as graffiti across the hub and multiplayer maps, as well as above your Inkling when they appear in other people's hubs. Splatoon 2 and 3 retained this feature, but used Twitter as the backend for posts rather than Miiverse. In Splatoon 2 the feature is being fully sunset alongside the Twitter support, reverting back to default data, but Splatoon 3 has had replacement servers set up by Nintendo for posting the images to, since that game is still being supported.

• The following updates were made for the discontinuation of X (formerly Twitter) integration:
    • The option to “Post to Twitter” when sharing from the Album in the Nintendo Switch HOME Menu was removed.
    • The ability to post Super Smash Bros. Ultimate screenshots from the Album in the Nintendo Switch HOME Menuu to Smash World in the Nintendo Switch Online smart device app was removed.
    • The option to link X (formerly Twitter) from “Settings” > “User Settings” > “Posting to Social Media” was removed.
  • The option to link social media accounts from “My Page” > “Friend Suggestions” was removed.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

Looks like they took the opportunity to just completely kill the ability to add friends based on social media contacts. Wii U and 3DS tabs are still there, lol.

I hope there is a solution for Switch 2. Sharing friend codes isn't hard to do but organic growth from Twitter was a nice thing on Switch

made sure to check out the Splatoon 2 plaza on the last day.

pretty standard stuff beyond the acknowledgment the service is ending. including that one very popular ship.

Back
Top Bottom