• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Nintendo Switch worldwide sales top 132.46 million (2.93M in the last quarter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazi

picross pundit

screenshot2023-11-07aprcpn.png

Yeah, it's not passing the PS2 or DS.

Still impressive as fuck. Especially since it never had a price drop.

Yeah, that's good.

As to whether or not it can take over DS or PS2, this next quarter will be a bigger key factor. Though I think it's gonna be sitting pretty at 3rd by the end still.

Kind of insane to think about how in may the 15mil forecast seemed a bit too optimistic and now they’ve almost sold half of that in 2 quarters, even with a weak q3 and q4 it still needs something like a 6.50 holiday quarter and a 1.66 q4 to surpass it. This is just absurd

15m is the forecast. They've sold 6.84m. They need to sell 8.16m before end of March 2024, which should be easily doable -- especially with the bundles they are offering this holiday.

Putting it in context, they sold 8.2m units last year q3 (Oct to Dec) and if I'm reading numbers correctly, they've outperformed 2022 both quarters YOY so far. They're going to clear the 15m units target with ease thanks to mario wonder and the various titles from earlier in the year.

im ready for that pre-holiday sales doom n gloom boys bring it in

i aint even read the topic yet but god i know this happens every year

Nintendo's earnings report for the 2nd quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024 has been published, this covers the three month period from July 1st to September 30th 2023. Nintendo shipped 2.93 million units of Switch hardware and 44.88 million units of Switch software bringing lifetime totals to 132.46 million for hardware and 1133.23 million for software.

Year over year quarter 2 hardware sales are 9.85% (0.32 million) down from 3.25 million and software sales are 16.89% (9.12 million) down from 54.00 million.

Two titles sold over 1 million units this quarter, these were new release Pikmin 4 (2.61 million) plus evergreen juggernaut Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1.55 million).

Nintendo maintain their shipment forecast of 15 million units of hardware but have increased their software shipment forecast from 180 million units to 185 million units for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024.

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q2:
2.93m
Regional Split Q2: Japan 980k, America's 850k, Europe 630k, Other 480k
Model Variants Q2: Standard 600k, Lite 470k, Oled 1.86m

Switch Hardware Total: 132.46m
Regional Split Total: Japan 31.77m, America's 51.03m, Europe 34.15m, Other 15.51m
Model Variants Total: Standard 90.83m, Lite 21.92m, Oled 19.71m

Global Shipment History

gL8Rjyr.png

Software

Switch Software Q2:
44.88m
Regional Split Q2: Japan 8.35m, America's 19.41m, Europe 13.65m, Other 3.46m
Tie Ratio Q2: 15.32

Switch Software Total: 1133.23m
Regional Split Total: Japan 217.52m, America's 498.39m, Europe 327.88m, Other 89.43m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.56

Global Shipment History

Ec7vEmK.png

Last edited:
yeah people are ready for switch 2. Still very good for a 7 year old console but its clearly slowing down

Switch selling 44.88 million units of software is still huge, for comparison the 3DS peak Q2 for software was 16.73 million units.

2.93M is better than what I expected (2.5M was the minimum target I had in mind).

Based on the current sales trajectory if Nintendo moves at least 7M units in fiscal Q3 (they moved 8.22M last fiscal year in the same quarter), it can comfortably sell 1.16M units in fiscal Q4 and still meet their target of 15M units for the fiscal year. Should be doable with the 5 SKUs they are putting out worldwide this quarter.

1.16M would be quite low for fiscal Q4 when comparing to past years, but that won't be surprising if they're planning to announce their next system early next year.

Yeah, that's good.

As to whether or not it can take over DS or PS2, this next quarter will be a bigger key factor. Though I think it's gonna be sitting pretty at 3rd by the end still.
Like clockwork.

This isn’t the quarter you ever draw conclusions from, what matters is October to December.

Despite numbers slowing down, I genuinely see them stretching the launch of the successor purely to get the most out of the software sales as possible. Some of these numbers are insane.

Despite numbers slowing down, I genuinely see them stretching the launch of the successor purely to get the most out of the software sales as possible. Some of these numbers are insane.
For first half they actually sped up slightly.

Which makes for incredible momentum into their next console, the brand value and not fallen at all.

I think what's really encouraging is the software sales are still big. People are not just buying Switch's but are buying lots of games for them. It's further evidence that people really like the Switch concept and that the console won't die a death like the Wii did.

If we see some aggressive bundles and marketing this holiday, I don't see any reason why Nintendo can't meet their targets. And that's amazing for a console approaching its seventh Christmas

The idea that switch could lose momentum before switch 2 release needs to be put completely at rest, it’s literally outpacing last year in both software and hardware in its 7th year, there’s no wii comparison really, the switch is still super popular and if they don’t fuck up the next console it will have a huge momentum. As far as beating ds and ps2, if it meets the forecast of 15 mil switch should be at 140mil this march, with a switch 2 holiday release i could see another 8-9 mil sold in the next fiscal year which would put it at 149 mil, after that we will see how much can it crawl

Nintendo Switch versus Nintendo DS

After 27 quarters the Switch has shipped 132.46 million units and the DS had shipped 147.86 million units, this means launched aligned Switch trails DS by 15.40 million. Overall the Switch is just 21.56 million behind DS' lifetime total.

VZxtD8i.png

fgcigQ4.png

Nintendo Switch versus Nintendo DS

After 27 quarters the Switch has shipped 132.46 million units and the DS had shipped 147.86 million units, this means launched aligned Switch trails DS by 15.40 million. Overall the Switch is just 21.56 million behind DS' lifetime total.

[Charts]
If I read these correctly, the Switch is currently tracking above the DS Quarterly sales per quarter, but not lifetime sales that year. If the Switch manages to keep it's current momentum, we're likely going to see it around... hmm... probably 140mil lifetime sales by the end of the FY? This is a lot of guess-timation, but I don't think I'm that far off.

Still, Switch money is printing nicely.

3DS is the problem.

Let's not forget how badly the system went just the same year the Switch launched.
Given that 3DS didn’t end production until 3yrs on while adding in:
  • Plausible BC
  • Some cross-gen dev
  • New device pricing
  • Stock issues
I can see it doing better than 3DS in the same periods of time up to & including seven years after Redacted launches.
There are many issues w/3DS heading into Switches launch that I am not really seeing here.

Switch is looking pretty safely bound to meet its fiscal year forecast I think, hardware is still up for the first half YoY, and while last year had Pokémon going into the holiday season, Mario Wonder + aggressive hardware bundles will probably lead the console to its target in the end.

That'll put it at 15 million behind the crown. If Switch 2 releases next year as most expect, I don't see a clean path to the console unseating PS2, but there is at least a path. PS2 lurched toward its milestone after its generation had effectively ended, we'll have to see whether or not Switch still has some gas in the tank after its successor is out there in the market.

Thanks to @pierre485
  • Switch por trimestres:
F-T9CkXXkAAHVaq

• Switch comparada con NDS

F-T9FkXWAAAgn0L

• Consolas de Nintendo vendidas a nivel mundial
F-T9Iw0WEAAQ4BB

• Nintendo Switch Lite
F-T9pCIW8AAudv6

• Nintendo Switch OLED
F-T9rT6WwAAESw2

• Switch por Modelos
F-T9vkgWQAA_QtC

• Pikmin 4
F-T-a5RWEAA_OYR

• The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
F-T_ERAWEAA4m7J

F-T_H25WoAAzluM

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
F-UAG3hWoAAtO0m

F-UAJoXWcAAmaPJ

F-UAL57XAAA3rhx

• Pokémon Scarlet/Violet
F-UA9bHXcAARYoi

F-UBAEnX0AAuC3f

F-UBQnXXQAA0XJz

• Animal Crossing: New Horizon
F-UB-GnWkAAwX-U

F-UCAr1XwAAwgPB

F-UCDCVWgAAQ6nn

• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
F-UCxWCWkAA6RHL

F-UCzy_WYAEj0Tj

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
F-UDJUpWMAA34Tv

• Super Mario Odyssey
F-UDs0CWMAAhorb

F-UD0juWwAA5aHK

• Pokémon Sword/Shield
F-UEoShWkAAvRnU

F-UErumWQAArjba

F-UEuRZXoAAhCk1

• Super Mario Party
F-UFRvoXYAEDlqx

F-UFTxmWMAAGVqa

• New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
F-UFty9WwAAb-I1

F-UFv6BWYAAoGsu

• Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

F-UGhr2XMAMaE3H

F-UGlKcXkAAK8YD

• Mario Party Superstars
F-UHDiwWIAAvbz2

F-UHIvyWsAAMcCR

• Nintendo Switch Sports
F-UHg9fW0AAwiDS

F-UHjZWWkAAEUs1

F-UHmHAXEAAjKxb

• 63 juegos distribuidos por Nintendo han vendido al menos 1 millón de copias
F-UKAX4W4AASYgy

• Software de Switch por Trimestres
F-UK3r8WQAAI3pJ

F-UK6KUXEAAJA-J

F-ULoTTX0AAFAJg

F-ULqevW0AEHiCp

F-UMteFXMAAXWfs

F-UMvrNWEAA2MqR

F-UM7E7XwAAiB6W

F-UNqMLWwAAd60r

One of the comparisons I've been watching for a long time is the original Switch model versus DS Lite, for best-selling single model. Whichever way it ends, it will probably be very close. Currently DS Lite is about 3 million ahead.

Switch original model
Jan-Mar 2022: 1.77m
Jan-Mar 2023: 0.91m (-49%)

Apr-Jun 2022: 1.32m
Apr-Jun 2023: 0.65m (-51%)

Jul-Sep 2022: 0.90m
Jul-Sep 2023: 0.60m (-33%)

Oct-Dec 2022: 3.00m
Oct-Dec 2023: ?

Based on the previous quarters I might've guessed it could gain 1.5m in the next quarter, but with multiple OLED bundles I'm doubting it gets that high.

8gbq618.png

Regional Hardware

wuZAd6h.png

Regional Software

oAzcu6p.png

Japan being the lead market for hardware for the second quarter in a row wasn't a surprise this time.

Mario movie, Mario brand sweep. Zelda movie when? Totk already boomed, let's see how far we can push it.
Guess the Switch 2 will be the era of Zelda. I feel like we'll get a 2D remake, the WW/TP HD Remasters and some more before the movie and new 3D game drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom