• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo Switch worldwide sales top 129.53 million (3.91M in the last quarter), biggest Q1 ever for Nintendo in revenue and operating profit

What would you gain from that?
It's nice to see that the medium of video games continues to grow in popularity.

In general, of course this is indisputably the case overall. If we follow gaming-related (console, PC, mobile) revenue growth over time, the numbers speak volumes, and that's still an understatement.

Still, being able to observe a concrete milestone like "all-time best-selling console" from a dedicated gaming platform (in 2025 or whatever) is a nice thing.

I also think about it in terms of competitive narrative (probably a better way to phrase that).

A modern gaming platform like the Switch faces a whole lot more competition than prior console generations IMO. There are more avenues to play quality games, and cost-of-entry is lower than ever (assuming you don't get hooked on the micro-transactions). I remember 10 years ago, when smartphones were on a mass adoption tear, I was gaming a ton on iOS and seeing more and more cheap and good games pouring in. I told friends "it's over for dedicated gaming platforms. These things are going to eat all." Nintendoomed, SayonaraSony, Micro-suckit etc etc.

Whoops! 🤭

Additionally, I consider the two other mega-selling platforms not only had the advantage of their era's competitive landscape, but also:

a) Nintendo DS with a much lower price point throughout it's life

b) Sony PS2 doubled as a "cheap" DVD-player providing a compelling non-gaming impetus for adoption

If a dedicated gaming platform can still overcome those factors to take the crown, man, that's a cool story. The "Nintendo comeback" thing is just the icing 🍰

===

Almost forgot to add my original comment on sales!

Kudos to the switch for such a strong quarter so late in the lifecycle!

I think switch has got a lock on 140 million by end of the year.

A 2-3 million Q2, followed by an 8-10 million Q3. I anticipate either a price drop or a pack-in promo to work in conjunction w/ _Mario Wonder _ advertising to power one more strong holiday.

Btw that formal price drop has to be a sure thing, right? "They can't keep getting away with it" and Switch 2 shadow is absolutely looming over 2024. Inventories gotta be cleared!

Anyway, after that, it's hard to imagine it can leg past PS2 lifetime sales ... But numerically there is a clear path. Can Switch co-exist with it's successor for ~16 million more unit sales over 3-4 years?

That seems totally doable! 😯

Last edited:
we also have an entire other forum dedicated to sales sooooo, kinda weird to be so dismissive like this....

If we are gonna be serious with this, a financially healthy Nintendo is more likely to be able to take more risks and make stronger games as a result imo, It also means layoffs are less likely (yes I am aware that layoffs can still happen even when companies are doing well)

Last edited:
Did "Wouldn't it be cool if the Switch ends up selling more units than the PS2?" really somehow turn a socio-political debate on the ethics of hoping for a specific result?

Okay I think it's kind of a bummer to be told like we're capitalism enthusiasts or console warring just because we want Switch to outsell PS2(I am a convict communist for the matter).

I was a little kid when PS2 was dominating everything. I was amazed at it. I only came to get mine when PS3 was already out by like 4 or 5 years and I still know many people that got it even later, it took a while for it actually become affordable in Brazil.

PS2 and DS did such astronomical numbers that I don't believe anybody thought that floor would be ever touched again. It would be a Guinness world record being broken. It doesn't matter if it changes nothing, it's nice to see and it becomes news in enthusiastic circles like here.

And what does one gain from say the 49ers winning the super bowl? Nothing and yet fans will party like they won the super bowl themselves. You can argue its all tribalism but why is it always oh they're just sports fans and it's totally normal to party after a huge win they had nothing to do with or benefit from but when gamers celebrate their preferred company's "victory" its oh you need to go out and touch grass? I feel like it's a holdover of gamers are losers and therefore need to be told to get new hobbies? I'm not advocating for console warring or corporate cheerleading but I just find it interesting that sports fans are normalized behavior but gamers are always chastised for the same behavior. There's very little difference in the behavior but gaming is considered anti social and I don't really like that
I would say I totally agree with you, but there's one thing...
Sports fanatics aren't comparable to cheering for hardware/software numbers or even console warring. But not because sports are already all about one winning and the other losing. But because they're objectively worse.
It's almost weekly that I see on news that there were spankings and assaults between organized cheer groups in soccer games. And about monthly there are brutal murders. With that I mean like 30 men cowardly beating someone to death because they cheered for another team or something.
Console warring is dumb and stupid and boring AF, but it doesn't even come close to what sports fanatics do.
And again, the tournaments are organized by multi-billion corporations like FIFA that have the most disposable things possible in their belt, and the teams themselves can be corporations that make everything for money, including abusing workers and throwing money to cover up crimes.

I wouldn't say it's a life highlight, I just think it would be funny/interesting seeing the reactions. Especially coming off the Wii U era.
I didn't mean anything facetious in my previous comment (although I've seen some take it that way). I agree with everything you just wrote.

Well for starters, Nintendo would be in a weird place... not being doomed and all that.
Some of the responses I've been getting have made me less enthusiastic to continue discourse, but I genuinely would like to know why it's either "massive success" or "doom and gloom" when it comes to Nintendo.

Last edited:
I don't get why anyone is reacting to his trolling attempts. "Why do you seek happiness in life if you die anyway. I am smart, let's argue."
Not to be anecdotal, but the worst thing about having a Twitch channel was having an audience who did nothing but play video games and watch people play video games. I love video games, and I love connecting with gamers. It gets really depressing, meeting people who have nothing else going on in their lives outside of video games.

I'm out. ✌🏽

...Y'all good in this thread?
furret-furret-friday.gif

DS Lite vs original model Switch is still a nail-biter. In these "off" quarters its numbers are quite small, but it still sold 3 million at the end of 2022, so another holiday performance of a few million could make the difference.
zFpiN31.png

In most regions software is pretty flat, but I did notice that the catch-all "Other" is an exception to that. This quarter saw 7.15m shipped software, which beats the previous top quarter (6.06m, Jan-Mar 2022) by 18%.

I think that stretches credulity a bit. The last official number is 155.0m through March 2012. They announced at the end of 2012 that it was discontinued. That leaves 3 quarters unknown, when its last year of reported quarters were trending down fast at 1.4, 1.2, 0.9, 0.5. They'd have to have really juiced production back up to that 1.4m/quarter level to add 4 million. To reach the high end 161.9m estimate would require 2.3m/quarter during the quiet period, which would be higher than any reported quarter since 2008. Based on the last reported quarters, I'd be much more comfortable guessing 156-157 as its final resting point.
udsw4YQ.png

Stock market is crazy. Sales can be good, and the price can drop because a bunch of stockholders are like "Well it's not as good as I THOUGHT it'd be, I'm out!"
Hey, sorry for the late reply, and thanks for preparing that plot.

I think there's plenty of evidence in that thread for me to believe their estimates. A small production bump for the last year doesn't look that unlikely when all pieces are added together. But most importantly, it seems like part of the discrepancy may arise due to the change in the reporting method from production shipment (higher) to actual sell-in to retailers (lower) at some point during the PS2's life. When sell-in reached 155M+, production numbers were already above that, so the actual number of produced units in that last FY may have not been much higher than the previous year. The moment production stopped, and all remaining manufactured units were sold-in within a FY, the gap between the two numbers disappeared, giving the illusion that a higher number of consoles was produced that year.

I don't think they ever reached the magic 160M threshold, because otherwise they would've probably shared a PR like they did when it crossed 150M, but they probably were close.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I'm a bit more positive than before about the chances of Switch taking the crown. It'll all mostly come down to whether Nintendo keeps pushing the Switch for a bit after the successor is out, or not.

Some of the responses I've been getting have made me less enthusiastic to continue discourse, but I genuinely would like to know why it's either "massive success" or "doom and gloom" when it comes to Nintendo.
It doesn't actually work like that, though. When it comes to Nintendo, it's always doom and gloom, even if -- and especially when! -- massive success is involved.

Common mistake, really.

I guess it's like politics to some, or like cheering for your favorite sports team. It's either left or right, the one or the other. Any semblance of nuance gets lost in translation. 😅 But rest assured... It's not just with Nintendo.

I was very guilty of this when I was younger as well, I think it felt empowering to choose a side and run 100% with it, primal... energy?

Time to throw in my two pence worth:

I want to see the Switch outsell the PS2, because the PS2 and DS are both old as shit now, and having newer platforms outselling them will be an objective metric that shows how popular and strong the gaming medium is. Especially coming off a previous generation where two of the main players (Nintendo and Microsoft) shat the bed and it wasn't clear how console hardware would fare long-term.

I'd also like to the see the PS5 outsell the PS2.

Heck, I'd be happy to see Xbox outsell the PS2. It probably won't, unless Microsoft somehow completely turn things around and play a blinder, but as an OG Xbox owner I'd be happy to see it.

The PS2 and DS were both great machines, but it's past time for them to be replaced as the benchmark for what gaming hardware can achieve. Gaming is more popular than ever, console manufacturers are selling consoles in more territories than ever, so let's see those numbers go up and stop living in the shadow of a 2000 DVD player with a wonky disc tray.

Time to throw in my two pence worth:

I want to see the Switch outsell the PS2, because the PS2 and DS are both old as shit now, and having newer platforms outselling them will be an objective metric that shows how popular and strong the gaming medium is. Especially coming off a previous generation where two of the main players (Nintendo and Microsoft) shat the bed and it wasn't clear how console hardware would fare long-term.
A specific system hitting high highs I don't think is a great metric, though. Like, PS3+X360+Wii was WAY WAY bigger than PS2+Xbox+GCN.

It's a terrible comparison, but the PS2 and DS being the best-selling consoles kinda reminds of The Lion King 1994 being the last 2D animated film that reached blockbuster numbers, said fact being brought whenever people ask why 2D animated movies have become very rare. Obviously consoles and many things we like about them are very popular today, but over the years we've seen plenty of narratives that wish for the end of console-gaming. In 2016, when the Switch was announced, many folks parroted stuff like:
  • Console gaming will be dead in X years, mobile is the future
  • Single-player games are not profitable, GaaS / Live-Service is the future
  • People don't want to pay for games and specialized hardware anymore, MTX and mobile are the future
  • AA games are dead, once-per-decade AAAA games are the future
  • Handheld consoles? Just play on your phone bro
  • Local multiplayer? Just play online bro
  • Japanese games are not as relevant as they used to be
  • Console gaming is dead in Japan, they only care about gacha and mobile over there
  • Gyro is a useless gimmick
  • Motion controls are a useless gimmick, the Wii was a fad
It's true that the first three were already disproven by the PS4 by then, but I want every of these narratives 1000 meters underground and the Switch becoming the best-selling console could be the volleyball spike that gets the job done.

Despite all that, I don't think AlwaysOnDeck deserved all the negativity, 157 million could very well be a meaningless number that doesn't change anything.

Okay I think it's kind of a bummer to be told like we're capitalism enthusiasts or console warring just because we want Switch to outsell PS2(I am a convict communist for the matter).

I was a little kid when PS2 was dominating everything. I was amazed at it. I only came to get mine when PS3 was already out by like 4 or 5 years and I still know many people that got it even later, it took a while for it actually become affordable in Brazil.

PS2 and DS did such astronomical numbers that I don't believe anybody thought that floor would be ever touched again. It would be a Guinness world record being broken. It doesn't matter if it changes nothing, it's nice to see and it becomes news in enthusiastic circles like here.

I would say I totally agree with you, but there's one thing...
Sports fanatics aren't comparable to cheering for hardware/software numbers or even console warring. But not because sports are already all about one winning and the other losing. But because they're objectively worse.
It's almost weekly that I see on news that there were spankings and assaults between organized cheer groups in soccer games. And about monthly there are brutal murders. With that I mean like 30 men cowardly beating someone to death because they cheered for another team or something.
Console warring is dumb and stupid and boring AF, but it doesn't even come close to what sports fanatics do.
And again, the tournaments are organized by multi-billion corporations like FIFA that have the most disposable things possible in their belt, and the teams themselves can be corporations that make everything for money, including abusing workers and throwing money to cover up crimes.
hell sports fans started a war. we'll never be that cool 😔

Not to be anecdotal, but the worst thing about having a Twitch channel was having an audience who did nothing but play video games and watch people play video games. I love video games, and I love connecting with gamers. It gets really depressing, meeting people who have nothing else going on in their lives outside of video games.

I'm out. ✌🏽
Hi there, just because you made four posts in a row, just checking you know there’s a multiquote option. Hit ‘+quote’ in the bottom right to select a post, and you can keep selecting them before hitting reply to have them all appear in a single post.

Hi there, just because you made four posts in a row, just checking you know there’s a multiquote option. Hit ‘+quote’ in the bottom right to select a post, and you can keep selecting them before hitting reply to have them all appear in a single post.
Thanks. I appreciate this.

Back
Top Bottom