• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo Switch worldwide sales top 129.53 million (3.91M in the last quarter), biggest Q1 ever for Nintendo in revenue and operating profit

Don't forget the price drop that has still yet to happen, and the units that could push

It's obviously nothing new, but the difference between 3DS and Switch in software sold is wild.
A lot of people talked about 3DS as if it was a big success, but honestly the pitiful software sales were a signal that this wasn't true at all.

Switch is a night and day difference, but once we get through FYQ2 sales it'll be interesting to see if the software sales are really in a healthy enough place to keep the platform going. Right now first-party sales are heavily driven by Zelda, later in the year it'll be Mario. It's unclear yet whether other titles are gonna keep pulling numbers like they would have earlier in the cycle. (Zelda accounts for about 150% of the YOY increase in software sales, which means they'd be down significantly without Zelda.)

I hope people don't mistake this quarter's record revenues and profits for sustainable platform health; it's heavily driven by two events: Mario Movie and Zelda. Nintendo has never had this happen before, and they don't have any more of those events in the can after this, at least that we know of.

Speculation minute:
Most people assumes Switch 2 will launch at an higher price point compared its predecessor, and I also think so.

Considering this, what if, for the next couple of years, Nintendo repurposes the Swtich Lite as the affordable go-to console for kids and families, with continued support mostly with cross-gen 2D titles? In that scenario I could see SMW becoming the killer app for that segment.
I have no doubt that's partly why Nintendo is releasing Mario Wonder when they are (+Mario movie hype). It's why NSMBU Deluxe has sold as well as it has. It was a cheap and family friendly game for parents to buy their kids as a 'pack in' when buying them a Switch. I don't think it's ludicrous to reason that Wonder can do numbers that are there or thereabouts over time for the same reason.

But doubling that to 30 million sales? That puts it a whopping 5 million or so over Odyssey, the best selling Mario platformer on Switch by some margin, and also the one with the highest acclaim. Wonder would have to develop a TOTK-esque hype-nado to even get close to selling that much, and I don't think 2D platformers have that effect these days, sadly.

Speculation minute:
Most people assumes Switch 2 will launch at an higher price point compared its predecessor, and I also think so.

Considering this, what if, for the next couple of years, Nintendo repurposes the Swtich Lite as the affordable go-to console for kids and families, with continued support mostly with cross-gen 2D titles? In that scenario I could see SMW becoming the killer app for that segment.
While they could do this, and the report does say that the Switch Lite does have more profit than the OLED model and thus could have a price drop to at least $179, I think a new model that is smaller and fits in the pocket better, is another option that could actually lead to a burst of sales and interest. There is even a very similar device in terms of size and layout that I think makes sense for this Switch "Mini" model:
retroid_pocket_3_review_05.jpg

Nintendo can do a lot to push more sales of the Switch after this FY, the main one is just to keep releasing games for it, we saw that 3DS didn't fall off a cliff when Switch came out, a lot of that had to do with pricing, but also the OG Switch isn't really a good handheld for kids IMO. Switch 2 is seemingly going to have an 8inch screen, that makes the contrast far more apparent, the above is a 6.2 Switch Lite, an 8 inch Switch would just not look like a handheld IMO.

I have no doubt that's partly why Nintendo is releasing Mario Wonder when they are (+Mario movie hype). It's why NSMBU Deluxe has sold as well as it has. It was a cheap and family friendly game for parents to buy their kids as a 'pack in' when buying them a Switch. I don't think it's ludicrous to reason that Wonder can do numbers that are there or thereabouts over time for the same reason.

But doubling that to 30 million sales? That puts it a whopping 5 million or so over Odyssey, the best selling Mario platformer on Switch by some margin, and also the one with the highest acclaim. Wonder would have to develop a TOTK-esque hype-nado to even get close to selling that much, and I don't think 2D platformers have that effect these days, sadly.
I mean, 2d Mario has always been more popular than 3d Mario, I don't see why that wouldn't be the case even here.
The biggest boon of Mario wonder is that it doesn't need the same hype that TotK had, it's a more appealing game for the casual market and has perfect synergy with the Mario movie plus being the big holiday title so I expect explosive sales in the same vein as pokemon but with better legs, 30mil doesn't seem that absurd to me especially since both ds and wii 2d Mario sold over 30mil

Switch 2 anytime soon seems less likely to me when seeing numbers like this.

I know that consoles are planned ahead but at no point has Switch not looked like anything but a world beater in its entire tenure.

Numbers are actually up yoy and best ever for Q1,,,, in year 7. That's insane.
Yup. Wouldn't make sense to release one so soon when Switch is trending up, not down. I hope the rumors are correct and we get a hardware revision next year though, if only so the switch can definitively beat PS2. imo Switch already beat PS2 because so many people bought PS2 as a dvd player and never played a game on it, but definitive would be definitive.

A lot of people talked about 3DS as if it was a big success, but honestly the pitiful software sales were a signal that this wasn't true at all.

They weren't really 'pitiful' though. They were well ahead of the game boy, game boy advance attach rates, as well as that of the psp. The only dedicated handheld ahead of it was the DS (~6 instead of the~5 of the 3ds), and this is even up for debate, because the 3DS had a significant digital store, and as is still the case, Nintendo did not include digital only software sales in those numbers. Once you take the digital sales in to account, in all likelihood the 3DS was the highest of any Nintendo handheld in terms of attach rate with ease.

I still think later next year is likely for Switch 2. Once we get past the Mario Wonder holiday bump, things will probably start dying down again to prepare Nintendo nicely for a new console.

That is unless they have some other giant system seller up their sleeve for the Switch but idk what else would really do that at this point. There are always price cuts and/or another Pokemon.

I mean, 2d Mario has always been more popular than 3d Mario, I don't see why that wouldn't be the case even here.
The biggest boon of Mario wonder is that it doesn't need the same hype that TotK had, it's a more appealing game for the casual market and has perfect synergy with the Mario movie plus being the big holiday title so I expect explosive sales in the same vein as pokemon but with better legs, 30mil doesn't seem that absurd to me especially since both ds and wii 2d Mario sold over 30mil
You're asking for a game launching late in a system's life to outsell every game that came before it and by a huge margin, just at a time when sales are beginning to die down. Only Odyssey has got close to 30 million thanks to it being on sale for 6 years, combined with it being the highest acclaimed Mario platformer on the system.

From there, it's a big gap to NSMBU Deluxe, which has been on sale for 4.5 years and has only just got halfway to 30 million. If you're generous and add sales from the original NSMBU to it, then it's around 22 million sold over 11 years. That's the closest barometer we have currently to how Wonder will perform. It's still a ways off the magic 30 million mark.

NSMB Wii sold well because of the novelty of four player Mario platforming on a console which thrived on multiplayer games. The novelty isn't there anymore. Maybe I'm wrong and the market is ready to go crazy for a 2D platformer in a way it hasn't for two decades, but currently the evidence is pointing to a comfortable 10-15 million seller for Mario Wonder, which is still a great number.

You're asking for a game launching late in a system's life to outsell every game that came before it and by a huge margin, just at a time when sales are beginning to die down. Only Odyssey has got close to 30 million thanks to it being on sale for 6 years, combined with it being the highest acclaimed Mario platformer on the system.
This seems to be against everything that's in the OP. Switch sales aren't slowing down and switch software is overperforming.

From there, it's a big gap to NSMBU Deluxe, which has been on sale for 4.5 years and has only just got halfway to 30 million. If you're generous and add sales from the original NSMBU to it, then it's around 22 million sold over 11 years. That's the closest barometer we have currently to how Wonder will perform. It's still a ways off the magic 30 million mark.

NSMB Wii sold well because of the novelty of four player Mario platforming on a console which thrived on multiplayer games. The novelty isn't there anymore. Maybe I'm wrong and the market is ready to go crazy for a 2D platformer in a way it hasn't for two decades, but currently the evidence is pointing to a comfortable 10-15 million seller for Mario Wonder, which is still a great number.

There is no way on this planet that SMBW gets outsold by the nearly 11 years old NSMBUdx port. Not a chance.

25 million is the floor. No 3D Mario game has ever outsold its 2D Mario counterpart on the same console and it's not about to happen now; especially not after the Super Mario Bros Movie.

They weren't really 'pitiful' though. They were well ahead of the game boy, game boy advance attach rates, as well as that of the psp. The only dedicated handheld ahead of it was the DS (~6 instead of the~5 of the 3ds), and this is even up for debate, because the 3DS had a significant digital store, and as is still the case, Nintendo did not include digital only software sales in those numbers. Once you take the digital sales in to account, in all likelihood the 3DS was the highest of any Nintendo handheld in terms of attach rate with ease.

It is when you consider the ridiculous amount of resources thrown at the platform (far, far more R&D expenses and manpower than any previous handheld, by several orders of magnitude), and that the 3DS was basically responsible for propping up the entire company during this period. It wasn't enough to sustain them (which is why they took those heavy losses that generation).

Last edited:
I do wonder if the Switch has another 25M units to pass the Ps2 in it. Seems to be a genuine chance they'll make that 15M unit goal for the fiscal year. But does it sell another ~14-16M units with a new system on the way and then released?

Yes mario wonder will sell 10-15M by the end of the year, I agree. :p

I'm gonna be honest there is a very high ceiling for this game. Especially after this Mario movie which already boosted Mario games. Kids will see ads of Wonder come September and October and they will be reminded of how much they loved the movie.

While they could do this, and the report does say that the Switch Lite does have more profit than the OLED model and thus could have a price drop to at least $179, I think a new model that is smaller and fits in the pocket better, is another option that could actually lead to a burst of sales and interest. There is even a very similar device in terms of size and layout that I think makes sense for this Switch "Mini" model:

Nintendo can do a lot to push more sales of the Switch after this FY, the main one is just to keep releasing games for it, we saw that 3DS didn't fall off a cliff when Switch came out, a lot of that had to do with pricing, but also the OG Switch isn't really a good handheld for kids IMO. Switch 2 is seemingly going to have an 8inch screen, that makes the contrast far more apparent, the above is a 6.2 Switch Lite, an 8 inch Switch would just not look like a handheld IMO.
I would freaking love a Switch Micro. I recently got a lite and with a grip added it's the first time I've had portable Switch be comfortable for me. Even smaller would be even better.

Nintendo's 15 million forecast makes zero sense. Do they expect the Switch to stop selling completely during the holidays?
Maybe there is another reason they expect it to sell less🤔

Price drops don't really seem to happen anymore, heck the opposite does
PS5 just got a regional price drop weeks ago.

Sales happen all the time with other consoles (one just happened days ago with the Xbox Series X/S), and the right price drop for the right amount of time at the right retailers could be a huge push in unit sales.

Even a permanent $50 price drop in the Switch after the Switch 2 is announced would be a huge push.

You kind of said it here yourself. The Switch is in a very uniquely healthy position this far in the life cycle. When it comes to home consoles in particular Nintendo did not really need to kill them off - they were usually dead in the water well before the successor released and it was not feasible in any way for Nintendo to support the previous system.

With the Switch we have at least two massive titles (TotK and SMBW) in the 7th year and they could easily keep the Switch around as a budget-model when the successor releases late next year. Generally speaking I would say it's safe to say that a lot of things that held true in the past for Nintendo no longer apply in times of the Switch. They integrated all of their teams and finally created an account system that hopefully will carry over 1:1 to the next system.

Either way a great success and I doubt that Nintendo would ever care for where they land in the "rankings" of most sold systems. The more important metric is active users (who actually spend money) anyways.

The 3DS sold almost 10M in the 2 and a half years it was on the market after Switch's launch. You are also underestimating the holiday season, the Switch has yet to sell less than 7.2M units in Q3, difficult to see it this year when SMBWonder will be released in the same year the movie hits. what we will likely see is over 5M in Q2 and Q4 combined, with ~8M in Q3, putting the yoy flat, giving us 143M+ by the end of March, Nintendo usually launches a cheaper model at the end of a successful console's life, we have seen this with the NES, SNES, Wii, Gameboy, GBA, DS and 3DS.

A Switch Mini that is similar in size to a vita, would likely prompt sales for the Switch next year, lets face it, Switch 2 is a $400+ product, if Nintendo releases a $149-$179 Switch that fits in an actual pocket, and keep releasing software for it for 2+ years via a crossgen period, it's going to sell better than the 3DS did during that same time period. With reports that Switch 2 is a 8inch tablet this time, a 5inch Switch that fits in your pocket at less than half the price is an entirely different market segment.

You guys share very valid points and you might very well be right. If any platform can do it, that's certainly the Switch, but that would depend on many hypotheticals. If they release a budget SKU shortly before or after the successor, targeting a price-sensitive or low-engagement demographic who won't even care about the new platforms, then yes, it's possible.

I do believe that the actual numbers will be a bit lower than what you're envisioning (~17M this FY would be a notable overperformance relative to the forecasted 15M, after two consecutive FY overestimating the HW forecast, and basically a flat result YoY).

In line with my call for caution from my previous posts, according to Nikkei Asia, Furukawa stated the following (https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Me...ed-Nintendo-to-record-profit-in-first-quarter):
“We don't think that the figures for this quarter in itself have much significance for the timing of our business,” said Nintendo President Shintaro Furukawa.

“It was unusual that a major event like a film release coincides with the release of the biggest title ever in the April-June quarter, and for it to be profitable," he said, adding that it was "too early to decide what the momentum is for the entire year.”

January 2017, french journalist :
"The Nintendo Switch lineup is a catastrophe. Not even this new Zelda game can save it".
So, let's see....

-Performance clearly superior to a Raspberry Pi 3, probably.
-Built-in storage enough for installing as many as 1-2 games
-Voice comm requiring the use of an app on your cell phone
-Paid subscription online service feature list competitive with Heat.net
-Peripheral pricing so high and bizarrely lopsided with the initial hardware bundle that it makes buying a second Switch for parts a sensible option

...that's pretty dire, but it's still a much more compelling product than the Wii U at first reveal, simply by virtue of being a handheld. Might be somewhat more successful than the Wii U since it's not trying to leverage a poorly thought out archaic tablet as a unique selling point this time, but the cost of ownership is looking astronomically high. It's arguably higher than the major console competition, given the peripheral pricing, anemic built-in storage, low value paid online, etc., so it's abandoning a lot of the appeal that would otherwise come with being a handheld.

Handheld form factor and performance, but with $60 game pricing, paid online, tiny storage, and obscene peripheral costs. Worst of both worlds, arguably, and the mediocre mobile SoC isn't going to do it any favors when people hook it up to their living room setups. I seriously doubt I'll want to stretch out Switch games onto my 75" 4K HDR TV.

Not exactly situated to take the market by storm with all that and a very thin launch lineup. Not something that's easy to root for as a consumer, either, since Nintendo loaded up on anti-consumer business decisions here. It's telling that first shipment pre-orders are still available.

No.

I totally agree a sort of Switch "micro" would be perfect for this.
My only potential concern whold be analogue sticks. I don't know if sticks similar to the ones the 3DS had would be good enough to offer an acceptable experience in many more complex Switch games.

So, let's see....

-Performance clearly superior to a Raspberry Pi 3, probably.
-Built-in storage enough for installing as many as 1-2 games
-Voice comm requiring the use of an app on your cell phone
-Paid subscription online service feature list competitive with Heat.net
-Peripheral pricing so high and bizarrely lopsided with the initial hardware bundle that it makes buying a second Switch for parts a sensible option

...that's pretty dire, but it's still a much more compelling product than the Wii U at first reveal, simply by virtue of being a handheld. Might be somewhat more successful than the Wii U since it's not trying to leverage a poorly thought out archaic tablet as a unique selling point this time, but the cost of ownership is looking astronomically high. It's arguably higher than the major console competition, given the peripheral pricing, anemic built-in storage, low value paid online, etc., so it's abandoning a lot of the appeal that would otherwise come with being a handheld.

Handheld form factor and performance, but with $60 game pricing, paid online, tiny storage, and obscene peripheral costs. Worst of both worlds, arguably, and the mediocre mobile SoC isn't going to do it any favors when people hook it up to their living room setups. I seriously doubt I'll want to stretch out Switch games onto my 75" 4K HDR TV.

Not exactly situated to take the market by storm with all that and a very thin launch lineup. Not something that's easy to root for as a consumer, either, since Nintendo loaded up on anti-consumer business decisions here. It's telling that first shipment pre-orders are still available.

No.
you know, after so many years reading this copypast I still don't know what the hell a Raspberry Pi 3 is

Last edited:
I totally agree a sort of Switch "micro" would be perfect for this.
My only potential concern whold be analogue sticks. I don't know if sticks similar to the ones the 3DS had would be good enough to offer an acceptable experience in many more complex Switch games.
The ones on the retro pocket 3 from my post are similar to joycon analogs, they feel very similar.

Switch is gonna outsell PS2 isn't it lol

It's humorous seeing other places trying to rationalize this not being possible.

The numbers don't lie. The Switch is on pace to overshot the unit forecast for the current fiscal year. The Switch will most likely hit 140M - 145M by the end of fiscal year. It's a pretty safe bet to say it will sell another 15 million units with half a year left on the market alone, a holiday with the Switch 2 likely sold out everywhere, plus transition year(s) to Switch 2.

And that's not even factoring in where the 2024 Pokemon game will land, which going by past history could well be OG Switch exclusive or at least cross-gen.

Switch is gonna outsell PS2 isn't it lol

For the sake of argument, lets say that 160m is the magic number to hit.

Nintendo is supposedly a little ahead of their FY plan of 15m. Also, they still have a new 2D Mario game coming out in October and holiday sales to get that big boost. On the other side, lets assume that Switch 2 launches next September/October. While we don't know anything for sure, $399 is probably the floor for the price. Nintendo knows that everyone won't jump on right away. They need to still sell cheaper units. The OG Switch and Switch Lite will still be available for a while after the next system launches. Switch sales won't completely die overnight. So lets predict.

FY23- 18m (143.62m)
FY24- 12m (155.62m) Half the year will be alone, second half will supposedly be with the Switch 2.
FY25- 7m (161.62m)

That puts the Switch right in PS2 territory. This is definitely reachable.

Edit- @Skies fixed my math

Last edited:
It's basically riding the line between passing it and not passing it at this point. Just depends on how 2024 and beyond goes.

Whatever the outcome, the top 3 are probably gonna be very close by the end.

The ones on the retro pocket 3 from my post are similar to joycon analogs, they feel very similar.

They are literally the same parts. Switch OEM analogue sticks are a common part produced by Alps Alpine that pretty much all of these Android-based handhelds used until Hall-Effect sticks became all the rage.

Nintendo is supposedly a little ahead of their FY plan of 15m. Also, they still have a new 2D Mario game coming out in October and holiday sales to get that big boost. On the other side, lets assume that Switch 2 launches next September/October. While we don't know anything for sure, $399 is probably the floor for the price. Nintendo knows that everyone won't jump on right away. They need to still sell cheaper units. The OG Switch and Switch Lite will still be available for a while after the next system launches. Switch sales won't completely die overnight. So lets predict.

FY23- 18m (139.62m)
FY24- 12m (151.62m) Half the year will be alone, second half will supposedly be with the Switch 2.
FY25- 7m (157.62m)

I think there might be a typo or math error here.

18M in FY23 would place Switch at 143.62. 15M (forecasted) would place it at 140.62.

FY23- 18m (139.62m)
FY24- 12m (151.62m) Half the year will be alone, second half will supposedly be with the Switch 2.
FY25- 7m (157.62m)

Ultimately the questions for "beating ps2" will be

1) Is the next system backwards compatible or not

2) Will Switch continue to see some kind of support either via cross gen titles or old games that play on the new thing from Nintendo/3rd parties

3) Will Nintendo give the Switch some kind of discount to try and make it even more budget friendly

4) Will Nintendo continue to produce enough new units/will they need to reduce Switch 1 production too much to make more Switch 2

5) Do all of the above help keep demand for the original Switch high, or does demand flatline with everyone wanting the new thing.

Too much we don't know

Ultimately the questions for "beating ps2" will be

1) Is the next system backwards compatible or not

2) Will Switch continue to see some kind of support either via cross gen titles or old games that play on the new thing from Nintendo/3rd parties

3) Will Nintendo give the Switch some kind of discount to try and make it even more budget friendly

4) Will Nintendo continue to produce enough new units/will they need to reduce Switch 1 production too much to make more Switch 2

5) Do all of the above help keep demand for the original Switch high, or does demand flatline with everyone wanting the new thing.

Too much we don't know

1) Is the next system backwards compatible or not- Good point

2) Will Switch continue to see some kind of support either via cross gen titles or old games that play on the new thing from Nintendo/3rd parties- I will bet my life that Pokemon 2024 will be on Switch 1. 2025 will probably have a few things.

3) Will Nintendo give the Switch some kind of discount to try and make it even more budget friendly- Maybe, but putting a $199 Switch Lite up against a $399 Switch 2 seems enticing already. I agree that a couple of 2025 bundles would go a long way.

4) Will Nintendo continue to produce enough new units/will they need to reduce Switch 1 production too much to make more Switch 2- No clue, you are absolutely right.

5) Do all of the above help keep demand for the original Switch high, or does demand flatline with everyone wanting the new thing.- I think the price of the new system will be a sticker shock for the average/casual consumer initially, so while demand will be high, I could see some people being fine with buying the "lesser" Switch, especially in smaller markets/territories.

Thanks to @pierre485

• Switch
F2lj8Y_XMAAeqGQ

F2lkEjCW8AAvZJj

F2lkt12WQAA5yFE

F2lkxQ7W4AA_FTR

F2lk06VWYAAK-fO

• The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
F2llYRKW4AAImE8

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
F2lmLBmWcAEcYba

F2lmOuUXsAAEyem

F2lmRvsWAAEqXgv

• Pokémon Scarlet/Violet
F2lnkA1XIAAZCVr

F2lnnHzWsAAb_La

F2lnsRbXAAEtBu8

• Animal Crossing: New Horizon
F2loQkKW4AAzUTB

F2loUEoW4AAEFrU

F2loXvhWMAA3Q3K

• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
F2lpCivXEAAbjgo

F2lpHE8W0AAtemE

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
F2lp08VWIAAMBbM

F2lp7kJXMAAfBmo

• Super Mario Odyssey
F2lqbl7WEAEDhk7

F2lqfcPXYAE4Q9E

• Pokémon Sword/Shield
F2lrGI_XUAA-aYW

F2lrIrYWAAAbuHi

F2lrL2sX0AAVFsG

• Super Mario Party
F2lr4ZVXQAAZ0tA

F2lr9bDXkAEr7kx

• New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
F2lsgyWWgAA5yaG

• Los 61 juegos distribuidos por Nintendo que han vendido al menos 1 millón de copias.
F2lu1F7X0AAq3E6

• Cantidad de juegos vendidos en Switch en cada trimestre
F2lvnzdXIAAdP_t

• 47,3% de ventas de software son digitales
F2lwbaQXAAA_bVb

F2lwiANXMAAaaFd

• Gasto en investigación y desarrollo
F2lxCzSWkAAFT4_

• Ventas Netas
F2lzfOpWwAAyYYv

F2lzicvWwAA8IqN

• Beneficio neto
F2l1VV9W0AA731-

• Siguientes lanzamientos
F2l2oqUW0AE2fhP

1) Is the next system backwards compatible or not- Good point

2) Will Switch continue to see some kind of support either via cross gen titles or old games that play on the new thing from Nintendo/3rd parties- I will bet my life that Pokemon 2024 will be on Switch 1. 2025 will probably have a few things.

3) Will Nintendo give the Switch some kind of discount to try and make it even more budget friendly- Maybe, but putting a $199 Switch Lite up against a $399 Switch 2 seems enticing already. I agree that a couple of 2025 bundles would go a long way.

4) Will Nintendo continue to produce enough new units/will they need to reduce Switch 1 production too much to make more Switch 2- No clue, you are absolutely right.

5) Do all of the above help keep demand for the original Switch high, or does demand flatline with everyone wanting the new thing.- I think the price of the new system will be a sticker shock for the average/casual consumer initially, so while demand will be high, I could see some people being fine with buying the "lesser" Switch, especially in smaller markets/territories.
While I agree a $199 Switch lite could be compelling next to a $399 Switch 2, a $149 or $99 would open up the device to a new lower income threshold. Same if the original Switch model that can dock drops to $249 or $199. The fact the Switch hasn't seen any kind of price cut and minimal software bundling (outside of everyone's favorite Mario Kart 8 Deluxe holiday bundle) gives the system a unique opportunity.

Last edited:
As incredible as thesebQ1 numbers are, let's not get carried away. Not every quarter has a TotK + Zelda OLED + Mario movie combo. Switch sales in July across many countries are already back to a baseline lower than that of 2022. I'd expect 2-2.5M Switch shipments in Q2, and perhaps 6-6.5M in Q3. 140M by the end of the year would require a high overperformance, which I'm not sure it's possible even if SMW becomes a massive hit. Keep in mind PS5 and XS (which Starfield will resurrect) will provide higher competition than ever these holidays, and the economy is worsening in Europe and other key markets.

One final note: PS2 final number is at around 158-159M. With Switch 2 supposedly launching next year, and Nintendo's history of quickly killing a platform as soon as possible after the launch of its successor, surpassing PS2 looks again too optimistic.

I think 6 to 7m this holiday is entirely possible, but I could be wrong. Also, there's no way they're going to kill the Switch anytime soon even with a new console. They're eventually going to give it a price drop, bundles, etc and it's going to sell for at least a few more years and pass the ps2 with ease.

At this point I believe the Switch can keep selling well until the doom of humanity if Nintendo chooses not to release a successor. This thing's crazy.

While I agree a $199 Switch lite could be compelling next to a $399 Switch 2, a $149 or $99 would open up the device to a new lower income threshold. Same if the original Switch model that can dock drops to $249 or $199. The fact the Switch hasn't seen any kind of price cut and minimal software bundling (outside of everyone's favorite Mario Kart 8 Deluxe holiday bundle) gives the system a unique opportunity.
Yep. I think Nintendo would be smart to do it the way Sony did when PS2 hit the market and they came out with the PSX as a low threshold to get into the ecosystem. Doing this while transitioning to Switch 2 might cater to a new audience that maybe won't be present day 1 on the new console.

Possibly a (slightly delayed) response to the OLED model not being a true pro? I think the real reason is that shareholders are typically stupid and easily spooked
i get they are probably dim but surely these high sales get through to them lol

Strong financial results showing actual, real profits can have less effect than a news article quoting a pessimistic analyst forecasting lower potential profits lol
oh yea lol
i remeber listening to yanis varufakis saying something like people saying a crash is coming is what makes the crash come

oh yea lol
i remeber listening to yanis varufakis saying something like people saying a crash is coming is what makes the crash come
I like to think of it as a rope bridge that's about to snap. The bridge will snap sooner or later, but the panic that "the bridge is gonna snap" makes everyone run across it putting far more stress on it as opposed to trying to just fix the bridge from snapping.

I like to think of it as a rope bridge that's about to snap. The bridge will snap sooner or later, but the panic that "the bridge is gonna snap" makes everyone run across it putting far more stress on it as opposed to trying to just fix the bridge from snapping.
This analogy doesn't quite work, because there's no equivalent to "working together to fix the bridge" when it comes to stock market valuation lol

for those who know, why did nintendo's stock drop so much in augest 2021. Shouldn't it be going up if sales are this good
Sales were down 10% compared to the previous year, and expectations were readjusted by some analysts who believed that with the pandemic boost being over Nintendo would not have continued strong performance in the following years. Personally, I didn't believe in this view at the time and bought the dip lol.

Oh so this is a race for the #1 spot. I see. With all due respect, I think that is more important to fans than the companies, which only care about making more money.

Nintendo usually kills their platforms as soon as possible after the successor is released, because it's more productive to increase the baseline of the new one as quick as possible. Even the mighty NDS couldn't even sell 10M after the 3DS launched, in spite of the latter's poor initial performance. Although it could be argued the Switch could certainly fare better, as it's a much more lively ecosystem than NDS was at this point in time since release, reaching 160M looks tough, and would require for Nintendo to actively push for it, which I'm not sure it's in the best of their interests.
I expect Switch 2 to be $400, which is expensive, meaning it will be in Nintendo's interest to have a cheaper alternative until they can provide a cheaper Switch 2 model or good bundles. What that means is that they'll keep pushing Switch as a cheap alternative for kids and also release cross-gen games 2-ish years. Switch sales will undoubtedly slow down significantly, but my gut feeling is that it won't be quite as sharp of a decline as previous generations.

There's an old saying regarding stock. Sell on news, buy on rumor. Stocks always take a dip after an earnings release for Nintendo no matter if the news is good or bad.

Back
Top Bottom