• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo Switch worldwide sales top 129.53 million (3.91M in the last quarter), biggest Q1 ever for Nintendo in revenue and operating profit

mazi

picross pundit

screenshot2023-08-03a4kf2k.png

lifetime sales for different models:
  • Nintendo Switch - 90.23M
  • OLED Model - 17.85M
  • Switch Lite - 21.45M

forecast for the current fiscal year (April 23 to Mar 24) remains at 15 million.

biggest Q1 ever for Nintendo

The Kyoto-based company reported operating profit of ¥185.44 billion ($1.3 billion), surpassing analyst estimates and its previous April-June quarterly high of ¥144.7 billion, set in 2020. Sales were ¥461.34 billion, significantly up from the year-earlier result of ¥307.5 billion.

“The Zelda game has legs and will continue to sell well through 2024,” said industry analyst Serkan Toto. “For the Mario movie, Nintendo was apparently able to squeeze more revenue out of its deal with partner Illumination than the typical Hollywood standard.”

Nintendo's earnings report for the 1st quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024 has been published, this covers the three month period from April 1st to June 30th 2023. The Nintendo Switch shipped 3.91 million units of hardware and 52.20 million units of software bringing lifetime totals to 129.53 million for hardware and 1088.35 million for software.

Year over year quarter 1 hardware sales are 14% (0.48 million) up from 3.43 million and software sales are 26% (10.79 million) up from 41.41 million.

Two titles sold over 1 million units this quarter - New release Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (18.51 million) plus evergreen juggernaut Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1.67 million).

Nintendo maintain their forecast of 15 million units of hardware and 180 million units of software shipped for the current fiscal year ending March 31st 2024.

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q1:
3.91m
Regional Split Q1: Japan 1.20m, America's 1.18m, Europe 940k, Other 580k
Model Variants Q1: Standard 640k, Lite 430k, Oled 2.83m

Switch Hardware Total: 129.53m
Regional Split Total: Japan 30.79m, America's 50.18m, Europe 33.53m, Other 15.02m
Model Variants Total: Standard 90.23m, Lite 21.45m, Oled 17.85m

Global Shipment History

ZppzqV4.png

Software

Switch Software Q1:
52.20m
Regional Split Q1: Japan 9.02m, America's 22.71m, Europe 13.32m, Other 7.16m
Tie Ratio Q1: 13.35

Switch Software Total: 1088.35m
Regional Split Total: Japan 209.18m, America's 478.97m, Europe 314.23m, Other 85.97m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.40

Global Shipment History

3kNX5HG.png

A couple of things to note, for the first time in Switch's history the America's region did not ship the most hardware units in a quarter and this was Switch's best software total ever in Q1.

Last edited:
Switch 2 anytime soon seems less likely to me when seeing numbers like this.

I know that consoles are planned ahead but at no point has Switch not looked like anything but a world beater in its entire tenure.

Numbers are actually up yoy and best ever for Q1,,,, in year 7. That's insane.

I know that consoles are planned ahead but at no point has Switch not looked like anything but a world beater in its entire tenure.

With some price adjustments it can still have a niche in the market even after ReDraketed is out. As a budget option, 'cause the successor sure won't be under 400 bucks.

Nintendo's earnings report for the 1st quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024 has been published, this covers the three month period from April 1st to June 30th 2023. The Nintendo Switch shipped 3.91 million units of hardware and 52.20 million units of software bringing lifetime totals to 129.53 million for hardware and 1088.35 million for software.

Year over year quarter 1 hardware sales are 14% (0.48 million) up from 3.43 million and software sales are 21% (10.79 million) up from 41.41 million.

Two titles sold over 1 million units this quarter - New release Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (18.51 million) plus evergreen juggernaut Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1.67 million).

Nintendo maintain their forecast of 15 million units of hardware and 180 million units of software shipped for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024.

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q1:
3.91m
Regional Split Q1: Japan 1.20m, America's 1.18m, Europe 940k, Other 580k
Model Variants Q1: Standard 640k, Lite 430k, Oled 2.83m

Switch Hardware Total: 129.53m
Regional Split Total: Japan 30.79m, America's 50.18m, Europe 33.53m, Other 15.02m
Model Variants Total: Standard 90.23m, Lite 21.45m, Oled 17.85m

Global Shipment History

ZppzqV4.png

Software

Switch Software Q1:
52.20m
Regional Split Q1: Japan 9.02m, America's 22.71m, Europe 13.32m, Other 7.16m
Tie Ratio Q1: 13.35

Switch Software Total: 1088.35m
Regional Split Total: Japan 209.18m, America's 478.97m, Europe 314.23m, Other 85.97m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.40

Global Shipment History

3kNX5HG.png

A couple of things to note, For first time in Switch's history the America's region did not ship the most hardware units in a quarter and This was Switch's best Software total ever in Q1.

If Nintendo remains flat YoY for the rest of this financial year? Switch will end up selling 144.07 LTD... Meaning that they'll just have to sell 11 million in its last year to beat PS2.

They might actually well pull it off!

If Nintendo play their cards right this holiday season Switch could be 140m+ afterwards, and then it's within spitting distance of the DS and PS2. Remarkable. What a 1-2 punch the Mario movie and TOTK was.

nah I dont think it makes much difference. I think they already know when they want the switch 2 to be released

nah I dont think it makes much difference. I think they already know when they want the switch 2 to be released
I'm not seeing a point in the Switch's tenure where Nintendo has said, 'Alright, it's time to move on the next big thing.' It has yet to have even shown any chinks in its armour and has been a phenom the entire 6 plus years it's been on the market.

I'm not seeing a point in the Switch's tenure where Nintendo has said, 'Alright, it's time to move on the next big thing.' It has yet to have even shown any chinks in its armour and has been a phenom the entire 6 plus years it's been on the market.
yeah its doing well but they will be looking at thos PS5 numbers and thinking that could be us soon. Remember it did have a boost because of Zelda, and after Super mario wonder will give it another small boost but you wouldn't want the next big mario, Zelda, Metroid, pokemon game to be a switch exclusive.

Im almost certain switch 2 will be 2024

That TotK effect

Damn Nintendo might beat their 15m forecast and cruise to best selling console, let's GOOOO

yeah its doing well but they will be looking at thos PS5 numbers and thinking that could be us soon. Remember it did have a boost because of Zelda, and after Super mario wonder will give it another small boost but you wouldn't want the next big mario, Zelda, Metroid, pokemon game to be a switch exclusive.

Im almost certain switch 2 will be 2024
I assure you all they're looking at is that they just had their biggest Q1 ever in terms of revenue and profits. Nintendo rarely look to the competition and if they did they would be more focused on being on the cusp of having the best selling platform ever.

It's obviously nothing new, but the difference between 3DS and Switch in software sold is wild.

Yup. This is the real victory of the Switch. It combined the hardware selling power of a handheld with the software selling power of a console.

The 3DS' software attach rate is pitiful for a machine that had to prop up the entierty of a platform holder. It only just barely outdid the GBA in that regard (a handheld that was ruined by rampant piracy), and that was with Nintendo throwing literally everything they had at it.

Did they really just deliver the third best Q1 result in the 7th year of the Switch? insane numbers really and unless they stop producing the console alltogether in favor of the successor I can see the console reaching the number 1 spot.
Either way well deserved.

Nintendo April - June FY23/24 revenue = $3.23 billion (¥461.34 billion) & operating profit = $1.36 billion (¥185.44 billion) are crazy high. Even Playstation whole 1 year operating profit for the last FY22/23 is only $1.8 billion. Nintendo profit miles better than PlayStation even their revenue is lower

Last edited:
If Nintendo play their cards right this holiday season Switch could be 140m+ afterwards, and then it's within spitting distance of the DS and PS2. Remarkable. What a 1-2 punch the Mario movie and TOTK was.

SMBW is the real big wildcard that Nintendo are playing this year. I didn't think that they'd actually fire their last big gun this late into the system's life and that they'd just save it for the next console, but if anything will ensure that they remain roughly flat YoY? This is gonna be it.

SMBW is going to be doing a LOT of heavy lifting this holiday, and with the SMB Movie tailwind in place? We're talking potentially NSMB beating 30+ million sales when all is said and done. Insane for a game releasing so ridiculously late in the system's life!

SMBW is the real big wildcard that Nintendo are playing this year. I didn't think that they'd actually fire their last big gun this late into the system's life and that they'd just save it for the next console, but if anything will ensure that they remain roughly flat YoY? This is gonna be it.

SMBW is going to be doing a LOT of heavy lifting this holiday, and with the SMB Movie tailwind in place? We're talking potentially NSMB beating 30+ million sales when all is said and done. Insane for a game releasing so ridiculously late in the system's life!
I don't think that Wonder's going to be doing anything near those kind of numbers, purely because once Switch 2 is unveiled it will inevitably take the wind out of its sails a bit, but it'll still do really well, certainly enough to justify a release now as opposed to at the launch of their next console.

I don't think that Wonder's going to be doing anything near those kind of numbers, purely because once Switch 2 is unveiled it will inevitably take the wind out of its sails a bit, but it'll still do really well, certainly enough to justify a release now as opposed to at the launch of their next console.

If Switch 2 is fully BC, then there's no reason why SMBW should stop selling.

NSMB and NSMB Wii continued to truck along well after the 3DS and Wii U released at retail. SMBW should be no different.

Gonna be at least at 140m by the end of 2023

If Nintendo remains flat YoY for the rest of this financial year? Switch will end up selling 144.07 LTD... Meaning that they'll just have to sell 11 million in its last year to beat PS2.

They might actually well pull it off!

As incredible as thesebQ1 numbers are, let's not get carried away. Not every quarter has a TotK + Zelda OLED + Mario movie combo. Switch sales in July across many countries are already back to a baseline lower than that of 2022. I'd expect 2-2.5M Switch shipments in Q2, and perhaps 6-6.5M in Q3. 140M by the end of the year would require a high overperformance, which I'm not sure it's possible even if SMW becomes a massive hit. Keep in mind PS5 and XS (which Starfield will resurrect) will provide higher competition than ever these holidays, and the economy is worsening in Europe and other key markets.

One final note: PS2 final number is at around 158-159M. With Switch 2 supposedly launching next year, and Nintendo's history of quickly killing a platform as soon as possible after the launch of its successor, surpassing PS2 looks again too optimistic.

As incredible as thesebQ1 numbers are, let's not get carried away. Not every quarter has a TotK + Zelda OLED + Mario movie combo. Switch sales in July across many countries are already back to a baseline lower than that of 2022. I'd expect 2-2.5M Switch shipments in Q2, and perhaps 6-6.5M in Q3. 140M by the end of the year would require a high overperformance, which I'm not sure it's possible even if SMW becomes a massive hit. Keep in mind PS5 and XS (which Starfield will resurrect) will provide higher competition than ever these holidays, and the economy is worsening in Europe and other key markets.

One final note: PS2 final number is at around 158-159M. With Switch 2 supposedly launching next year, and Nintendo's history of quickly killing a platform as soon as possible after the launch of its successor, surpassing PS2 looks again too optimistic.

Where did you get that number? I thought the last official number we got was 155 million?

Edit: Ahh, you got it from Wikipedia... which sources its numbers from... VGChartz... Yeah. I'm sticking with the official 155 million number, thanks.

Either way, 6.5M for Q3 seems overly pessimistic. It would require sales to suddenly drop off a cliff out of nowhere and be worse than in 2017. I can't see that happening; especially not with such a strong lineup this holiday.

There's no reason why it shouldn't remain more or less flat YoY. SMBW is as big a cannon as it possibly gets, there's no way you're gonna see such a dramatic drop. And if that's the case, then ~11 million throughout financial year 2024 should be a piece of piss.

As incredible as thesebQ1 numbers are, let's not get carried away. Not every quarter has a TotK + Zelda OLED + Mario movie combo. Switch sales in July across many countries are already back to a baseline lower than that of 2022.

Which are these many countries we have numbers for?

This level of success is insane. Personnaly, I am super happy for very long life cycle regarding systems. The software support is here so nothing to complain about with the switch. I think that we are in a point in the industry where the craving for new, more powerful hardwares will blow up in our faces at some point

I said it when the question was posed in another thread, but Switch has a very realistic shot at catching up to or even just about overtaking PS2 before Nintendo stop manufacturing and shipping the system. They don't even need shipments to remain flat this fiscal year - the 15 million FY target would have them at 140 million, with another ~3 years of shipments to shift another 17 million.

Like I said in my post below, a lot really depends on the fiscal year after this one. The current fiscal year is going to be powered along by the combination of Zelda and Super Mario, but next year is largely a mystery in terms of software and it looks increasingly like the launch year for new hardware.
For a while I'd assumed Switch would top out around 145 million by the time Nintendo stopped producing it, but it's clearly going above that and it's going to be close to or above PS2 when all is said and done.

Assuming Nintendo hit their fiscal year target, it'll be at 140 million next April. Now it might seem that 17 to 20 million is an easy task after that, but we've seen massively successful systems like DS and PS4 drop rapidly once their successor systems are out. I don't think there's the long-tail market there used to be; not least because hardware retains a higher price point than it used to and because there are far more forms of affordable gaming available across more ubiquitous devices. Perhaps Nintendo slash the price of Switch once new hardware is out to try and get those long-term sales out of it.

Regardless, I think Switch just about manages it and it overtakes PS2 sometime in 2026 or 2027 shortly before Nintendo discontinue it. I think it depends how it holds up in the next fiscal year. If Nintendo can shift another 10 million in 2024/25 fiscal year, that leaves 7 million to overhaul PS2. Assuming sales drop the way they did for DS and PS4, it'd take another two fiscal years, but they'd just about manage it.

40% profit. Yeah they can now afford at least three WiiU generations.
Yup. ($1.3B o.profit ÷ $3.2B revenue) × 100 = 40%. I think this is the highest profit margin Nintendo ever achieved. Previous quarters or fiscal years only achieved more than 30%

Yeah they're gonna need to raise their software forecast. Again.

Hardware we'll see, I think 15M is still realistic but it'll depend on when they announce the Succ and whether Mario Wonder resonates well.

Where did you get that number? I thought the last official number we got was 155 million?

Edit: Ahh, you got it from Wikipedia... which sources its numbers from... VGChartz... Yeah. I'm sticking with the official 155 million number, thanks.

Either way, 6.5M for Q3 seems overly pessimistic. It would require sales to suddenly drop off a cliff out of nowhere and be worse than in 2017. I can't see that happening; especially not with such a strong lineup this holiday.

There's no reason why it shouldn't remain more or less flat YoY. SMBW is as big a cannon as it possibly gets, there's no way you're gonna see such a dramatic drop. And if that's the case, then ~11 million throughout financial year 2024 should be a piece of piss.
No, I did not. I guess it's my bad for not providing a source. 159M is the lower (but most likely) threshold, by the way.

Here you can find the detailed analysis. I hope it isn't against the rules to source this board:

6.5M in FY3/2024 Q3 wouldn't be close to "dropping off a cliff", it would be a 20% YoY (which is very realistic for a mature platform such as the Switch) and lower than last year's YoY drop for the equivalent quarter. Keep in mind last year saw the release of Pokémon S/V (and Splatoon 3 at the very end of the previous quarter, and both arrived with their own special OLED editions, whereas this year I only picture one for SMW), so it's not like it was lacking in the heavy hitters department either.

Which are these many countries we have numbers for?
Ok, "many" was bad word choice on my behalf. Unfortunately we don't have enough detailed data to make such claims.

We do know the following, though:

• It's around 20% down YoY in July in Spain, which is one of the markets where it was showing a better YoY hold during H1 2023. You can check the Spain Sales archive from installbase for the exact weekly numbers.

• It was already slightly down (-2.3%) across Europe in June in spite of the recent launch of the ZOLED edition (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/europ...20-thanks-to-diablo-4-european-monthly-charts). We'll see what happened in July soon enough.

• Estimates for the USA based on data provided by NPD/Circana also point to a slight YoY decrease in June already, as discussed in installbase, after a huge positive YoY spike in May.

All in all, an analysis of the available data calls for caution when forecasting flat results for Switch for the remainder of the year. These Q1 results are highly inflated by very specific circumstances which aren't expected for other quarters. As I see it, Nintendo's forecast of 15M for the FY looks quite reasonable after two consecutive years of initial overestimation. Software, on the hand, is being underestimated yet once more.

Edit: forgot to mention it's still up YoY in July in Japan, although to a lesser extent than in May and June, with sales trending in the last few weeks towards a baseline similar to last year's.

If PS2 159 Million as per above said, so do DS at 158 Million
* I will stick to official figures, PS2 at 155 & DS at 154

No, the difference is Nintendo actually provides transparent and up-to-date numbers for their platforms (see source below), unlike Sony, which shipped additional PS2 units after their last official report of 155M and mixed them in their reporting with other platforms'.

It's didn't matter because Switch will sold 160M, another 30M more from Q1 result with price reduction card in play

January 2017, french journalist :
"The Nintendo Switch lineup is a catastrophe. Not even this new Zelda game can save it".

It's didn't matter because Switch will sold 160M, another 30M more from Q1 result with price reduction card in play
Oh so this is a race for the #1 spot. I see. With all due respect, I think that is more important to fans than the companies, which only care about making more money.

Nintendo usually kills their platforms as soon as possible after the successor is released, because it's more productive to increase the baseline of the new one as quick as possible. Even the mighty NDS couldn't even sell 10M after the 3DS launched, in spite of the latter's poor initial performance. Although it could be argued the Switch could certainly fare better, as it's a much more lively ecosystem than NDS was at this point in time since release, reaching 160M looks tough, and would require for Nintendo to actively push for it, which I'm not sure it's in the best of their interests.

Oh so this is a race for the #1 spot. I see. With all due respect, I think that is more important to fans than the companies, which only care about making more money.

Nintendo usually kills their platforms as soon as possible after the successor is released, because it's more productive to increase the baseline of the new one as quick as possible. Even the mighty NDS couldn't even sell 10M after the 3DS launched, in spite of the latter's poor initial performance. Although it could be argued the Switch could certainly fare better, as it's a much more lively ecosystem than NDS was at this point in time since release, reaching 160M looks tough, and would require for Nintendo to actively push for it, which I'm not sure it's in the best of their interests.
You kind of said it here yourself. The Switch is in a very uniquely healthy position this far in the life cycle. When it comes to home consoles in particular Nintendo did not really need to kill them off - they were usually dead in the water well before the successor released and it was not feasible in any way for Nintendo to support the previous system.

With the Switch we have at least two massive titles (TotK and SMBW) in the 7th year and they could easily keep the Switch around as a budget-model when the successor releases late next year. Generally speaking I would say it's safe to say that a lot of things that held true in the past for Nintendo no longer apply in times of the Switch. They integrated all of their teams and finally created an account system that hopefully will carry over 1:1 to the next system.

Either way a great success and I doubt that Nintendo would ever care for where they land in the "rankings" of most sold systems. The more important metric is active users (who actually spend money) anyways.

I strongly agree with the bolded. If Nintendo wanted to sit around and pat themselves on the back, there are already many metrics that they can look at as a business and claim the Switch is more successful than the PS2 (faster selling, profits, no price drops, first party game sales ect.) but we know that's not even Nintendo's style. They are not focused on Sony or chasing console wars records at all. However, I think Switch 2 is further away than most people expect and it will surpass PS2 anyway.

The 3DS sold almost 10M in the 2 and a half years it was on the market after Switch's launch. You are also underestimating the holiday season, the Switch has yet to sell less than 7.2M units in Q3, difficult to see it this year when SMBWonder will be released in the same year the movie hits. what we will likely see is over 5M in Q2 and Q4 combined, with ~8M in Q3, putting the yoy flat, giving us 143M+ by the end of March, Nintendo usually launches a cheaper model at the end of a successful console's life, we have seen this with the NES, SNES, Wii, Gameboy, GBA, DS and 3DS.

A Switch Mini that is similar in size to a vita, would likely prompt sales for the Switch next year, lets face it, Switch 2 is a $400+ product, if Nintendo releases a $149-$179 Switch that fits in an actual pocket, and keep releasing software for it for 2+ years via a crossgen period, it's going to sell better than the 3DS did during that same time period. With reports that Switch 2 is a 8inch tablet this time, a 5inch Switch that fits in your pocket at less than half the price is an entirely different market segment.

Speculation minute:
Most people assumes Switch 2 will launch at an higher price point compared its predecessor, and I also think so.

Considering this, what if, for the next couple of years, Nintendo repurposes the Swtich Lite as the affordable go-to console for kids and families, with continued support mostly with cross-gen 2D titles? In that scenario I could see SMW becoming the killer app for that segment.

Back
Top Bottom