• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE GAME VOUCHERS ARE COMING BACK IN NORTH AMERICA

I liked this program when they had it here, pretty sure I picked up 4 games this way around that time. Only way to save on new release Nintendo games ever

I don't think that's the case but your post made me think, what if big retailers gad issue with it? I mean, if you are GameStop, Walmart, Target etc and you are selling games at 60$ while people can buy them straight from Nintendo for less, I can see the problem.
Unfortunately not a chance I will find this proof, but I could've sworn that's why NoA got rid of them--they got lobbied. Maybe it was Kit and Krysta thing, maybe I totally made it up, I can't remember. Just swear I saw that somewhere but sorry I don't have any proof.

Hmmm digital sales must be slowing down in NA. Weird time to bring it back, but glad it is back.

I always thought it was weird you guys didn't have access to them all this time, I'm glad that's changing!

I rely on these a lot as I am mostly digital, so hopefully more people can use these as well now!

While the vouchers are a nice deal, I can't help but feel that the price proposition in the US is not very lucrative, especially because the discounted price isn't even 20% (assuming two $60 games), so I guess it's more for those who wants games soon after release. After all, most of them would likely be at 30% discount save for some very special games like Pokemon. Still, since Pokemon is there, that's one thing that it could be spent on.

It's funny that the thread is listed as a "Spoiler" since the title pretty much spoiled the news without the need to open the thread.

Thank you for reading.

As an eu member...
Still more expensive then physical in many cases, and many of the games in the catalogue go on sale fairly regularly for 30%. Only saw the appeal if youre adamantly digital and want games on launch.

Good. It’s ridiculous that you guys have been missing out, it’s a very good deal; especially if you also manage to get eShop credit on discount!

I hope this turns out to be true. The vouchers were great and combined with finding a deal on eShop credit, it can really be a great deal. It definitely pushes me more toward digital, which is the point of it.

Although, having multiple Switches, deciding between digital and physical has gotten a lot more complicated.

As an eu member...
Still more expensive then physical in many cases, and many of the games in the catalogue go on sale fairly regularly for 30%. Only saw the appeal if youre adamantly digital and want games on launch.
There are some exceptions like mainline Pokémon games that have literally never been on sale so it's always worth to check in some cases.

If I was 100% digital, I would be all over this. Getting a day 1 Nintendo game for $50 is a good deal.

As it stands, I will give up on collecting physical games.

While the vouchers are a nice deal, I can't help but feel that the price proposition in the US is not very lucrative, especially because the discounted price isn't even 20% (assuming two $60 games), so I guess it's more for those who wants games soon after release. After all, most of them would likely be at 30% discount save for some very special games like Pokemon. Still, since Pokemon is there, that's one thing that it could be spent on.

It's funny that the thread is listed as a "Spoiler" since the title pretty much spoiled the news without the need to open the thread.

Thank you for reading.

FWIW, the discounted price will be more than 20% if you also take into account that you can purchase eShop money for a 10% discount.

There are some exceptions like mainline Pokémon games that have literally never been on sale so it's always worth to check in some cases.
i would say yes (and in most cases its true), but especially pokemon i find fun cause here it jumps between 45 and 55€ on the regular. (physical)
I am aware that its highly regional, thus not aplying to everyone.

As a day one digital buyer, this is just a sweet straight up $10 discount on games. Games which, at $60, are starting to feel pretty cheap already.

I'll buy two - Zelda and whatever next impresses me. Hopefully Metroid Prime.

One question - do you still get Nintendo coins? Beacuse if not that reduces the savings. You often get double Nintendo coins for a $60 purchase, amounting to $6 off.

Can you use vouchers across two accounts on the same Family Plan?

I assume not, but that would likely be my main use case for them.

As a day one digital buyer, this is just a sweet straight up $10 discount on games. Games which, at $60, are starting to feel pretty cheap already.

I'll buy two - Zelda and whatever next impresses me. Hopefully Metroid Prime.

One question - do you still get Nintendo coins? Beacuse if not that reduces the savings. You often get double Nintendo coins for a $60 purchase, amounting to $6 off.
Here in the UK, and I assume it will be the same for you, you get gold coins for buying the vouchers, but you do not get any gold coins when you use the voucher to purchase a game.

FE Engage and Pokemon Violet at the same time with a discount? Yes please.

Realistically, these went away because Nintendo's number crunchers told them they weren't necessary and were costing them $10 per sale among a reasonable percentage of clued-in fans.

They're coming back because Nintendo wants to stimulate software sales again. Suggests they might not have many big games in the short to medium term pipeline or that software sales are slowing.

The idea here would be to get someone to buy a pair of vouchers thinking "Hey, that's $10 off Zelda" and then they spend the second voucher on a whim on something they wouldn't otherwise have bought - resulting in a net profit for Nintendo.

Realistically, these went away because Nintendo's number crunchers told them they weren't necessary and were costing them $10 per sale among a reasonable percentage of clued-in fans.

They're coming back because Nintendo wants to stimulate software sales again. Suggests they might not have many big games in the short to medium term pipeline or that software sales are slowing.

The idea here would be to get someone to buy a pair of vouchers thinking "Hey, that's $10 off Zelda" and then they spend the second voucher on a whim on something they wouldn't otherwise have bought - resulting in a net profit for Nintendo.
The NOA promo was planned for just one year. It didn't go away.
They probably did it to help attract members but it wasn't meant to be permanent.
Unlike Europe, Japan and other places that still have it.
I've used it a lot personally, worked really well along with country switching, I've bought vouchers from Russia, Poland and Japan (thats really cheap now).

Welcome back, Voucher Program 🎉

I previously used vouchers for Smash + Xenoblade DE.

By itself, at ~17.5% "discount", it's a solid deal for Day One Digital new Nintendo releases.

In aggregate, with easily-obtained 10% off eShop cards, the "discount" becomes ~25% off.

Factor in 500 gold coins for the voucher purchase itself (5% back) and you are closing in on 29% off Day One price.

I mostly roll with physical, but that is compelling for $60 Day One purchases!

The possible downside is if, going forward, there are not as many compelling Nintendo-published releases at the $60 price point. (Outside of you-know-what, ofc)

I can't see TotK and Pikmin 4 in the list of software available. Are we 100% sure that we'll have the possibility to get them via voucher once they become available for pre-order ?

Also, can we purchase the vouchers with a 7 Day Free Trial membership?

I can't see TotK and Pikmin 4 in the list of software available. Are we 100% sure that we'll have the possibility to get them via voucher once they become available for pre-order ?

No regular full price game has gotten special treatment with vouchers so far in every other country. Unless Doug hates y'all that much I don't see why they wouldn't be available. They won't show up on the list until they are actually available for pre-order, yes.

You can't purchase vouchers with a trial membership.

No regular full price game has gotten special treatment with vouchers so far in every other country. Unless Doug hates y'all that much I don't see why they wouldn't be available. They won't show up on the list until they are actually available for pre-order, yes.

You can't purchase vouchers with a trial membership.
In fact in the UK Smash and BOTW were £10 above full price meaning the vouchers give an effective 30% discount instead of the usual 16% discount for full price games and they are still available on the voucher scheme.

They are only added in the list once they are available for preorder on the eshop. It's normal and I wouldn't worry about it.

In fact in the UK Smash and BOTW were £10 above full price meaning the vouchers give an effective 30% discount instead of the usual 16% discount for full price games and they are still available on the voucher scheme.
Yeah I'm planning on using a voucher for TotK cus I'm expecting it to have the chunky price

NoA is pricing the vouchers at $99.98 instead of the NoE €99.00

Yes, glad these are back. Saves about $15 on each game in Canada, then grab the eShop points at Costco ($90 for $100 worth of points) to shave off another $5-ish bucks per game. I'll hold off a bit until Zelda is confirmed on it.

I’m gonna buy so many of these they’ll have regretted ever taking it away from me

so like, 4

Why are there $50 games eligible for this? Do they want people to buy those by mistake and not be able to refund them?
they list mostly all Nintendo published games that have an MSRP that when there are two games combined together its equal greater than the $99.98, so $50 games will fall in the area.

Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers must be redeemed for two games with a cumulative price that is higher than the purchase price of the Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers.

Last edited:
Why are there $50 games eligible for this? Do they want people to buy those by mistake and not be able to refund them?
They can't refund them anyway.

On the whole I'd say it's 96% pointless. But I can imagine someone with a spare voucher deciding they want a $50 game and not wanting to pull in another $50 from their bank account.
Famicom Detective Club not on the eligible games list. Damn it Nintendo! Hopefully it will be added at some point.
Is the combo pack eligible in any other regions?

Famicom Detective Club not on the eligible games list. Damn it Nintendo! Hopefully it will be added at some point.

They're excluded in most regions because they're sold seperately too; so AU/NZ is one of the exceptions since they're only available in bundle form here. Lucky us?

Really good news for all people buying from the US eShop! Vouchers are a great deal :)
Are they a great deal?
To me they feel rather greedy.

You pay $100 upfront for a total discount of up to $20 on two games from a relatively small selection, and the money expires after a year.

Some games in the selection aren't full priced to begin with (WarioWare, Sushi Striker, Bayonetta 2 etc) and some of the others get their own $20 discounts a couple times a year anyway (Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Odyssey etc). If you choose any of those you effectively get an even smaller discount and potentially even lose some money.

And almost all games included in the selection have already been extremely profitable for Nintendo. So it feels greedy, frankly.

Instead, how about a one time substantial discount for loyal customers who have purchased above a certain number of games - as a way to thank them for the success of the Switch?

Edit: after counting, roughly half of the games in the selection are either not full priced to begin with (13/71) or receive their own $20 discount a couple times a year (~20/71).

Back
Top Bottom