• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo Switch Online - Game Boy Advance March 2023 game is Metroid Fusion, out March 9th

Obscure GBA games no one cares about have an exponential chance of being an amazing game, at least. I'm very excited for the less obvious releases in this catalogue, can't wait to try new hidden gems.
Maybe. Or it's just kinda meh like most of the obscure stuff we get

Maybe. Or it's just kinda meh like most of the obscure stuff we get

You never know what we'll get with GBA stuff. There was quite a bit of experimentation in this era from some of the big pubs such as Capcom and especially SEGA. Stuff that may not really work for a lot of their themed collections because there's only so much draw certain rereleases will get when sold individually. I have my doubts SEGA will try selling the GBA Monkey Ball game for premium or something like Gunstar Heroes GBA.

They said “Metroid Fusion” and not “The Metroid Fusion game”

lol jk
perrito-sorprendido.gif

This bugged me a little as well. :ROFLMAO: A game's primary setting is such a basic fact about it!
Samus goes to SR388 for about 10 seconds in the game's opening cutscene. Clearly they didn't want to spoil anything beyond that point :sneaky:

Check out this beautiful Game Boy Advance™ family of systems, too. There's a Mom™, a Dad™, and a Child™.
Needs to be updated to include the Grandparents™ so we can have the entire Game Boy™ line from 1989 to 2005, a friggin' dynasty :cool:

You’re missing Super Robot Taisen OG Generations 1/2. Worldwide and Namco/Atlus
ATLUS is on here though (SMT 1, SMT 2, DemiKids, B-Daman, Hamster Paradise etc., all in the Sega section). This is also only showing certain third parties:

• Creatures Inc. - due to basically being a first party at this point
  • Rare - due to formerly being in that same position in the SNES/N64 era
  • Sega - they are the other first party on NSO+EP, due to Genesis NSO. Also includes Sammy and Atlus titles, as retroactively Sega.

Bandai Namco (including the former Banpresto, of Super Robot Taisen fame) don't have enough of a claim imo to be specially pointed out over Capcom, Konami, Koei-Tecmo and all the other third parties that have supported NSO thus far.

I still play my original cart on my back-light modded GBA. Will be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

I kind of want to be on the team making trailers for these NSO games. I can imagine making new trailers for old games could be a lot of fun.
Lowkey one of the best aspect of N64/GBA trailers. Because it's just one game at a time, they decided to go above and beyond with the presentation.

Yeah I agree with this. They put out most of the SNES heavy hitters early and there weren't many significant updates afterwards besides DKC I believe? It's not like Netflix, where they can somehow produce new ROMs to add to the service. Those SP romhacks don't cut it.
SP versions aren't even ROM hacks, they're just save states.

I really want Nintendo to localize more retro games but can they even do that properly when Fire Emblem 1 localization cannot even work on NES NSO emulator because of how it uses a different emulator from Wii U.
They don't even allow ROMs that they don't have in their archives even, and that gets grating after a while...

SP versions aren't even ROM hacks, they're just save states.

I really want Nintendo to localize more retro games but can they even do that properly when Fire Emblem 1 localization cannot even work on NES NSO emulator because of how it uses a different emulator from Wii U.
They don't even allow ROMs that they don't have in their archives even, and that gets grating after a while...

So they can't use the ROM from FE1 Localization? I didn't know that. What makes it incompatible with NSO?

The entire hacking process is in the emulator. A NES cannot have this kind of text display like they did without huge hacks.
NSwitchDS_FireEmblemShadowDragonAndTheBladeOfLight_06.jpg
So how would they rectify this? Completely gut the translation to make it fit within the NES limitation like a Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Warrior?

So how would they rectify this? Completely gut the translation to make it fit within the NES limitation like a Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Warrior?
Or port the hacks to the NES NSO emulator, which I don't know how hard it would be because it kinda depends on how the emulator was made, but also how could they make sure save states / rewind could work without breaking the text, and so on.

Or port the hacks to the NES NSO emulator, which I don't know how hard it would be because it kinda depends on how the emulator was made, but also how could they make sure save states / rewind could work without breaking the text, and so on.

Couldn't that risk breaking all the other games if they changed the emulator on that level? Either way, unfortunate.

Couldn't that risk breaking all the other games if they changed the emulator on that level? Either way, unfortunate.
Not necessarily if you isolate everything to that game, which is something pretty much all emulators on NSO do, not really much to worry there.

Looks like they’ve unintentionally confirmed Zero Mission for a future update. The Japanese GBA app left in the tutorial images for the link cable functionality with Fusion. Also confirms that different games will be able to connect to each other. Perhaps we won’t need to input a long password for the Zelda Oracle games or Golden Sun after all?

Last edited:
The game looks great on the TV, the GBA filter is amazing. I only found it doesn't work well in portable mode with the small screen, like that it somewhow looks blurrier and nothing like the crisp GBA image. My preferred way is playing with small screen in the TV, and big screen on portable.

Unfortunately Metroid Fusion is one of those games where those stupid borders ruin the atmosphere. Why does Nintendo have to be so anal about these things, ugh.

another month to wait for another game to be put on. At least do 2-3 games, FeelsBadMan.
We don't know yet, we have 22 days yet. They may add a N64 or GB game. At least that's what I'm expecting. With more systems now it would be easier to have at least 3 games per month.

Unfortunately Metroid Fusion is one of those games where those stupid borders ruin the atmosphere. Why does Nintendo have to be so anal about these things, ugh.
The better the service gets, the worse these borders are. Before I could just ignore NSO cause I didn't want to play most games - out of sight, out of mind. Now there's a bunch of N64 and GBA titles that play well so I have to deal with the borders if I want to play them. And the only way to make them go away is with Goldeneye's widescreen 😑

There needs to be more game releases for NSO per month man, I know I'm being a whinyass bitchass right now but cmon ;_;

The better the service gets, the worse these borders are. Before I could just ignore NSO cause I didn't want to play most games - out of sight, out of mind. Now there's a bunch of N64 and GBA titles that play well so I have to deal with the borders if I want to play them. And the only way to make them go away is with Goldeneye's widescreen 😑

With GBA games at least I can use the zoom on my TV to scale up without stretching, since the GBA has sort of a widescreen. The picture gets too big in order to hide the borders, but it's still better than playing with them.

I also confess I play the N64 games stretched. Since they're polygonal, it's less bad than stretching a 2D game and is also preferable to me than ruining the amtospherr while playing something like Majora's Mask. As for NES, SNES and GB/GBC, I have to put up with the borders cause stretching pixels is horrifying.

The whole situation is ridiculous considering this is a service we're paying (and paying extra) for. I think Nintendo wants the border to be seen in shared screenshots to advertise NSO, but when that comes to a huge detriment of the player's experience, it's fucking shitty.

I really don't get what the issue with the borders is. Maybe it's just me, but i'm perfectly capable of focusing on the imagen, completely ignoring the border.

I would really welcome the chance of disabling or changing it, mini console style, but i don't find the border distracting at all.

Looks like they’ve unintentionally confirmed Zero Mission for a future update. The Japanese GBA app left in the tutorial images for the link cable functionality with Fusion. Also confirms that different games will be able to connect to each other. Perhaps we won’t need to input a long password for the Zelda Oracle games or Golden Sun after all?

I thought that was the case in the leaked version of the emulators.

So, ah

One game I always wanted to play but never got the chance to was Drill Dozer

What're the odds we end up getting that one?

I may be holding onto false hope here, but I really hope they drop the Oracle games in April as a "TotK is close, but check out these Zelda games to pass the time!" kinda thing. I feel reassured that they're coming sooner than later considering they were the first titles on the GB slate, and Fusion was the first on the GBA slate and its out already. Fingies crossed.

Honestly, Nintendo could pretty easily do one game release on NSO each week if they wanted to.

For every month they could do 1 GBA game, 1 GB game, 1 N64 game, and 1 Genesis game (or random NES/SNES). That wouldn't be that much at all.

I thought that was the case in the leaked version of the emulators.
It's one thing to have internal tests, but internal stuff don't always turn up in the final product.
There were no Metroid Zero Mission link in the leaked Sloop demo build, but the fact this came up in literally what I consider the final app does bode well for the future of link features for single player games.
So, ah

One game I always wanted to play but never got the chance to was Drill Dozer

What're the odds we end up getting that one?
It came out on Wii U and even had an official European release with literally the European ROM of the game that got never released before with 5 languages included. It's a Game Freak game, I'm sure the chances are decent.

I'm kinda excited of what we may get in these libraries in the future. The GB/GBC library is one of the largest libraries ever (Largest Nintendo library? Correct me here) and if they go deep cut like they've done with NES and SNES we could get some really interesting stuff.

I'm kinda excited of what we may get in these libraries in the future. The GB/GBC library is one of the largest libraries ever (Largest Nintendo library? Correct me here) and if they go deep cut like they've done with NES and SNES we could get some really interesting stuff.
The problem is that it seems like they're going to only be doing like 1 release per month, which is pretty ass 😞

Fusion is a mid Metroid, which means it's a stellar videogame.
Exactly. Metroid be like

"Metroid Fusion, too linear, too combat focused, could have been better, 9/10 top 30 games of all time"

"Metroid Zero Mission, very good but not enough atmosphere, epilogue is divisive, 9.5/10 top 20 games of all time"

"Metroid Dread, not enough exploration, too linear, bosses are hard, 9.5/10 top 20 games of all time"

"Super Metroid, fantastic but overwhelming for newcomers, aged questionably in some ways, 10/10 top 5 video games of all time"

:ROFLMAO:

Fusion is solid but I can definitely see why some people were disapppointed with it as the first Metroid game since Super after an 8 year wait. The areas are more like Zelda dungeons than the typical Metroid map along with Samus’s movement generally being less exciting. But I like that they did something different and it was clearly designed knowing it would be a lot of people’s first Metroid game (like me!).

Back
Top Bottom