• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 156 77.6%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
image.png

That dislike on the video from nintendos channel is wild

It does seem weird. Like, let's take the UK price and say you've got 600 days in your subscription left from redeeming NSO codes. That makes the discount go brrrrr. It's then £35 - (600 * £0.04) = £6 to convert all that into... what?

Will it convert those 600 days into 730 (two years) of NSO+EP for just £6 because the Expansion Pack only works in increments of one year? Or do you only get the EP for the first 365 days at the price of £6? Or do you lose all remaining days of NSO after 365 to then get 365 days of NSO+EP for £6? It would make more sense if, because you've gone past 365 days, they would they instead use £70 as a reference point for the discount. Such a possibility isn't mentioned on the site though.

Even assuming you get no discount at all, let's say you've got two years of NSO from codes. What happens when you then pay full price for a year of NSO+EP? Do you get an extra year of NSO tacked on to those two years you have already while getting the EP for just the first year? That would mean you'll never use up those latter two years if you keep getting the EP. So my suspicion is that you’ll pay for NSO+EP and not get an extra year of NSO at all, just one year of EP at an inflated price.

It shouldn't matter, it's not like I've scammed them or anything, I bought the subscription and they have their money.

Pretty normal, the original NSO Overview is 10k like to 69k dislike
yea this is pretty much history repeating itself , we aren’t gonna pretend there’s not a lot of disdain and hate especially in the wider gaming space for nso as a whole .

Last edited:
Yes but the £35 includes UK sales tax of 20%. US price doesn't IIRC

Normally UK prices are £=$ of late
This is correct, as we don't have a federal sales tax; only state-level and local-level sales tax. They are significantly lower than 20%, however, generally ranging from 6-8% combined.

to give an example for comparison, if I were to buy the individual plan, it'd cost me $53.30. I'm actually buying the family plan, which will run me $85.29.

I have now read all the information on how active subs are handled. I still have 597 active days, when the new stuff goes online. I can upgrade to the new tarif and they will give me 0,05 € discount for every day. With this discount i can buy one year NSO+ for ~ 10,14 €. I think i will do that, one year for ~ 10 € is fair. But i will let this run out next year and find a family plan group next year.

Here's a false dichotomy for ya: if the options were between $50/year with Rare titles + whatever other third party games with heftier licensing fees included or $30/year without, I'd easily choose the former. Not to mention I'm permanently on the hook for Nintendo nostalgia, so they could charge even more and I'd still pay it without a second thought.

This doesn't mean I'm thrilled with the cost, but it's not so offensive to me that I'm incensed or unwilling to open my coffers. A lot of these N64 games are amongst my favorites ever, so their intrinsic value to me is not lower than the asking price.

That said, I have no interest in Genesis games, and I'd much rather just buy the AC DLC and keep it forever than rent it via this subscription. In fact, I'm sure I'll end up paying the $24.99 for the DLC despite subbing to the expansion pack, so the model surrounding that is pretty whack.

If you don't have a deep love for Nintendo's classics, I totally get finding this pricing to be out of touch. But for me, the launch lineup alone for the N64 portion of NSO is way more valuable than the entirety of free games I've gotten throughout the last four years of subbing to PS Plus.

I really can't wait for the 25th (+ Nov 5th for the AC updates). I'm going to have a straight up debaucherous time man-handling all of these crusty old classics!

On the european Nintendo site they list it as 0,05 € per day, 0,09 € for a family plan. There is a link to calculate it but the link is set to the front page. They either miss placed the link or i rather think they will update it on launch, when the check out is possible.

On the european Nintendo site they list it as 0,05 € per day, 0,09 € for a family plan. There is a link to calculate it but the link is set to the front page. They either miss placed the link or i rather think they will update it on launch, when the check out is possible.

Where did you get those euro prices? I can only see pounds.

I set the site to english for the english readers. On the bottom is a location switch.

I am still on the fence as I am planning to play some N64 titles but also thinking of playing AC again. I guess I just update the moment I actually need it.
When you get the xpack can you also unsubscribe again from it and move back to the normal one?

I think one of the biggest problems is Nintendo price anchored themselves with the $20 annual price for initial NSO. I get that they upgraded from free online on Wii/Wii U, but including all of the content they did at $20 annually set a standard of expectation for how much they valued their vault as a subscription. If they had charged $30/$35 for the base NSO, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Think of how much they charged for games independently on their prior consoles - $5 for NES/$8 for SNES - and this does become a solid value proposition, but they screwed themselves over. I will be paying for the service, but I am less happy than I otherwise would have been. I expected $30-$40, but am grateful for the inclusion of Happy Home Paradise and hope they will also include other DLC going forward.

I think one of the biggest problems is Nintendo price anchored themselves with the $20 annual price for initial NSO. I get that they upgraded from free online on Wii/Wii U, but including all of the content they did at $20 annually set a standard of expectation for how much they valued their vault as a subscription. If they had charged $30/$35 for the base NSO, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Think of how much they charged for games independently on their prior consoles - $5 for NES/$8 for SNES - and this does become a solid value proposition, but they screwed themselves over. I will be paying for the service, but I am less happy than I otherwise would have been. I expected $30-$40, but am grateful for the inclusion of Happy Home Paradise and hope they will also include other DLC going forward.
The 20 a year was heavily criticized even at launch cause it was extremely barebones initially. One of the their selling points were “special offers” that they didn’t reveal till month later lol.

The 20 a year was heavily criticized even at launch cause it was extremely barebones initially. One of the their selling points were “special offers” that they didn’t reveal till month later lol.
Do not cite the deep magic to me. I was there when it was written.

I thought all of those critiques were weak and trivial and not at all based on reality. Unfortunately, the offers have been weak but the catalog they have released has grown quite strong. $20/year for a classic Nintendo game subscription is an absolute steal.

Kinda want to pay it already and wait for it to activate.

Nintendo hasn't released any way to calculate the discount, right?
Doing some raw math, my subscription renews on 09/19/2022 (like a lot of people I assume). Oct 25th I will still have 329 days on the current plan. Quick division tells me I will still have ~90% left so assuming Nintendo pro-rates this to the day, I will have to pay 90% of the difference on the family plan (or ~$40.56)

I think Nintendo should take advantage of the Expansion Pack pricing and use the money to fund single player experiences for the new tier that maybe would not make as much money as an individual shop release, like maybe a Golden Sun Remake.

Well, one thing seems certain now: If you got your current NSO membership by purchasing a download code you are shit out of luck and won't get any discount when upgrading. I have still over 9 months left when the service starts, which sucks. Thank goodness I managed to organise my own family group in the meantime, so that the loss is not too bad. Imagine all the people who are subscribed for years to come? No idea, why Nintendo couldn't think of a better solution.

Let's see what really is possible next week. I don't get why it shouldn't be possible to upgrade when you're originally subscribed via download code.
I could also upgrade my single subscription to a family subscription and got the remaining time as a discount (this option also came later and wasn't possible in the first year).

Double the price was a suprise for me, but looking at what we'd pay for a VC release just of the N64 games. If they continue with free DLC and the vouchers the NSO subscription is still a cost saver for me personally. (I mean AC DLC is 25 bucks, that's more then the upgrade cost. Each voucher saves me 25-30 bucks etc,).

I have now read all the information on how active subs are handled. I still have 597 active days, when the new stuff goes online. I can upgrade to the new tarif and they will give me 0,05 € discount for every day. With this discount i can buy one year NSO+ for ~ 10,14 €. I think i will do that, one year for ~ 10 € is fair. But i will let this run out next year and find a family plan group next year.
Could you link me to this, please? Wondering how/when/if I'll go about upgrading.

A 12 month subscription to play F Zero X, Phantasy Star IV, and the Animal Crossing expansion is fine so long as I don't have to pay over the odds. My sub runs to April 2023 currently thanks to codes.

A question that I haven't seen answered, and might not be answered until nov 5th:
My main account has NSO, my girlfriend plays on her own account (on my switch/my island). If I upgrade my NSO, will she be able to play the DLC?

It would be interesting if they start making some more online focused DLC. That would make sense to include with the expansion pass. Like maybe some new Splatoon characters to play as or new Tetris 99 modes. I.e. things you would need a base subscription to enjoy in the first place

So what happens if I bought a download code and still have 6 months left? I just have to buy the 1 year €40/$50 plan and that adds 12 months to the 6 months I still have?

You know, emulation might be prevalent on a gaming forum like this, but I feel people forget how much work it can be to get it working as well and lots of people don’t have great computers. For a lot of people the ease of access is worth the price

You know, emulation might be prevalent on a gaming forum like this, but I feel people forget how much work it can be to get it working as well and lots of people don’t have great computers. For a lot of people the ease of access is worth the price
I bought a Retroid Pocket and just gave up after hours of frustration.

Not only on this forum, but on every single gaming community.

At best, you get people pointing at PPSSPP, Dolphin or bsnes as examples of emulators made by the community for free, but what they conveniently ignore is the obscene amounts of time and effort the developers of those emulators have invested into getting them to reach acceptable levels of accuracy and optimization.

But even if It comes from the console manufacturer, an emulator doesn't materialize out of thin air by pushing a button. It has a lot of work behind.

EDIT: Wait, you were talking about the end user experience. My bad.

Well, my point still stands. On that end, i have friends who have given up on emulation because it can be a pain to set up. When i told my best friend about the expansion pack he blindly accepted to pay the raise because he's tired of dealing with N64 emulators, the different plugins and stuff

Not only on this forum, but on every single gaming community.

At best, you get people pointing at PPSSPP, Dolphin or bsnes as examples of emulators made by the community for free, but what they conveniently ignore is the obscene amounts of time and effort the developers of those emulators have invested into getting them to reach acceptable levels of accuracy and optimization.

But even if It comes from the console manufacturer, an emulator doesn't materialize out of thin air by pushing a button. It has a lot of work behind.

EDIT: Wait, you were talking about the end user experience. My bad.

Well, my point still stands. On that end, i have friends who have given up on emulation because it can be a pain to set up. When i told my best friend about the expansion pack he blindly accepted to pay the raise because he's tired of dealing with N64 emulators, the different plugins and stuff
Oh don’t get me wrong, emulator devs are unsung heroes. Not to mention crazy stuff like reverse engineered native ports. But even then if you’re lucky out of the box only 40% of games are plug and in play for the 3D system era. Like I’ve messed with Saturn emulators a bit and I’ve never managed to get a game to boot. Even N64 most stuff takes a bit of work to get running and there’s still a ton of broken games

Official emulators with netplay support that don't have to worry about everyone running the exact same configuration and save data is half of why I've been so excited for N64. I've tried to play Mario Party over netplay with friends and it lasted about a week before we gave up. Even when we did everything right as far as I could tell, the RNG would occasionally desync.

I don't think many people are understanding what happened here.

There is a reason why the Wii-era VC is not still with us - it failed. Why did it fail? Because the organizations bringing the content did not like it. It wasn't worth the effort. I mean think about it - if you want a complete collection of obscure older games - the ala carte approach is the absolute wrong way to do it.

A subscription is the BEST approach. It allows more popular titles and features to subsidize the less popular ones - when the goal is to have everything. That's Nintendo's goal here - have a place for ALL the old games.

The only way you accomplish this is to pay the license holders well. Pay them well, make them fat and happy, so they give up the goods. Gamers are too spoiled on loss leader growth models like Game Pass. Once Microsoft stops their growth model that thing will rocket in price or stagnant with fewer non-Microsoft releases.

I gladly and enthusiastically support this model because I know this is the BEST way to get what I want - a place for all those old games to live on and be played by modern gamers.

There is a reason why the Wii-era VC is not still with us - it failed. Why did it fail? Because the organizations bringing the content did not like it. It wasn't worth the effort. I mean think about it - if you want a complete collection of obscure older games - the ala carte approach is the absolute wrong way to do it.

That really is the gist of it. Once the novelty wore off with buying these games again, sales probably plummeted. It explains why Nintendo went from releasing 3-4 games a week to drip feed. Hopefully Nintendo has these apps set up to where they will work day one on the next system. That makes it more appealing going forward.

Personally I have no problem with a subscription model. There are plenty of these games that I own in more than one way so if I can pay a fee to play these games on a current gen console that is fine by me.

A question that I haven't seen answered, and might not be answered until nov 5th:
My main account has NSO, my girlfriend plays on her own account (on my switch/my island). If I upgrade my NSO, will she be able to play the DLC?
I think no one knows, I also asked and nobody was sure. Guess we'll find out in November.

The UK price is pretty decent imo. £35 a year is less than £3 a month. Well worth it for the SNES and N64 games aswell as cloud saves and online. Almost half the price of XBLG and PS+ aswell.

I think she will be able to. Dlc is playable by all accounts on a switch under the condition that the switch is registered as the main switch by the purchaser of the dlc.

I think she will be able to. Dlc is playable by all accounts on a switch under the condition that the switch is registered as the main switch by the purchaser of the dlc.
DLC you bought, yes. I'm pretty sure, that in this case the system will check, if you have an active NSO + Expansion Pack subscription, when you boot up the game (the same as with the other NSO apps) and that you will only get access to the DLC if you have.

I'm not so sure. DLC is, but subscriptions aren't.

I don't think non-NSO users can use anything tied to NSO, regardless of what anyone else on the account has. That goes for the retro apps, game trials, etc.

Didn't know you couldn't play nes online on a different account. Guess that it will not be possible then :p.

Seems really weird, arbitrary and non-family friendly.

Didn't know you couldn't play nes online on a different account. Guess that it will not be possible then :p.

Seems really weird, arbitrary and non-family friendly.
I imagine it's because they're already offering a steep discount with the family plan. NSO apps are different from everything else though in that they're free to download, just not to use. It's possible DLC will be different, but I wouldn't count on it.

I was looking for a more definitive answer to this in the FAQ and didn't find one. I did find some other information I hadn't seen shared in here though, some of which I recall being asked about:

For Nintendo 64 games that originally supported four players, will it be possible for four players to play locally or online?​

Yes, games that originally supported four players can be played that way both locally and online. When playing online, each Nintendo Switch system supports one player.

Will the classic games allow matchmaking with random players?​

Games in the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack collections feature online play with friends only.

How can I buy these controllers? Are they a limited-time offer?​

The controllers are not a limited-time offer.

Can U.S. consumers purchase the six-button SEGA Genesis controller that is offered in Japan, instead of the three-button controller sold here? If not, why?​

For the U.S. and Canada, a replica of the original SEGA Genesis Contrrol Pad is the available model. This was by far the more widely used and well-known SEGA Genesis controller in these regions.

Different regions make different decisions based on a variety of factors.

The last two come from the separate controller FAQs linked at the bottom. The six-button thing is a non-answer, but I was amused NOA even acknowledged it so I figured I'd include it.

Going by the spanish FAQ, no. If you get the expansion pack, only the subscribed account will have access to the DLC.

There, i just loaded 50 € on my Nintendo account, the rest is, for now, in my paypal account.

I'm ready. Next stop, the N64 controller.

I'm fairly likely to upgrade to this by the end of the year, but that's primarily because out of the remaining 16 months of NSO I have, 12 months of it came from a free code. That means that my discounted fee for the expansion pack is largely coming from a free code rather than out of my own pocket, which is fine, because the way they're calculating the discount rate is a little under-handed.

The issue I have with the discount is that Nintendo are short-changing people. The calculated daily rate they give you as a discount is below what it should be. In the UK, an individual subscription costs £17.99 per year, which, divided by 365, is £0.049, or effectively 5p per 1 day of an individual NSO subscription. Nintendo are giving you a discount based on a rate of 4p per day, which is nearly 20% lower than what you're actually paying. That means that, when you're 'upgrading' via a 'discount', you're actually losing out a little. For example, your discount for 12 months of an unused subscription (which costs £17.99) will total £14.60. To get up to the expansion tier you need to pay £35 per year. At Nintendo's discount rate, your subscription will cost you £20.40 for a year. If Nintendo actually gave you the full worth of your base NSO sub as the discount, you'd pay £17 for the 12 month expansion. In other words, Nintendo are making sure they get even more money out of existing subscribers by offering a discount which is worth less than what you've already spent to subscribe.

If you purchased your NSO subscription at a 1 month or 3 month rate, then the disparity between what you pay, and what discount Nintendo give you, is even bigger. You pay £6.99 for 90 days, for example, which works out as 7.76p per day - so Nintendo's 'discount' is worth half of what you've actually paid for your base sub.

Now yes, the amount of money we're talking about is negligible. But the principle here is that Nintendo's 4p per day discount rate is deliberately calculated at a lower rate than the actual cost of your base subscription in order to inflate the amount of money they'll get from existing subscribers. It's grubby and tight-fisted, really, and if it weren't for the fact I have those free 12 months to use as a discount, I wouldn't upgrade.

Dislikes on YouTube mean nothing. I don't like videos on there anymore unless they're music I like or funny videos so I can find them easier to rewatch later because they get added to the liked videos playlist and I don't feel like digging through videos. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Back
Top Bottom