• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo: "Switch business has exceeded our expectations", plans to expand game development capability by $900m, $2.7bn for theme parks, stores

sXgbRMw.jpg

data_01_00.jpg

1) Expand EPD

2) Rescue Mercury Steam, take a minority ownership position and make them “second party”

3) Invest in opening Nintendo Web Services in the US West Coast, mission is to build modern web infrastructure/services that create a multi-generational leap forward for Nintendo accounts/services

4) Invest in Connected Fitness Gaming division, compete with Peloton/Mirror/Apple Fitness+/etc (and give me RFA2, damnit!)

5) Spinout the “Animal Crossing Company” - build the next generation of Animal Crossing metaverse, launch Animal Crossing merch/tv/music/movies

Scale Monolith Soft up to Bethesda size to complete Takahashi's goals
I am quite sure most of their teams are expanding, they are releasing new hardware more powerful than a base PS4 late next year (or early 2023), so dev costs will also have to increase and the size of teams will also need to increase so their output doesn't fall. I imagine part of the aformentioned investment is for this, but most of it may have to do with collabs and maybe some acquisitions, though I doubt it'd be anything big. It'd be nice if Monolith Soft was big enough to do 2 large games at the same time though, Takahashi may go mad with power (of the next console) and just make an even bigger world than in Xenoblade Chronicles X at some point with all those people though lol

I wonder how much a game like Super Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW (and 2), Animal Crossing New Horizons and Super Smash Bros Ultimate costs to make.
Smash is probably the most expensive game Nintendo ever made due to its licensing and DLC. But I wonder how much the others mentioned cost with marketing added.

I wonder how much a game like Super Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW (and 2), Animal Crossing New Horizons and Super Smash Bros Ultimate costs to make.
Smash is probably the most expensive game Nintendo ever made due to its licensing and DLC. But I wonder how much the others mentioned cost with marketing added.
I remember reading somewhere that BOTW needed to sell 2 million to break even.

Wasn't BOTW their biggest game ever, in terms of budget and manpower?

Even so, I doubt most of Nintendo's bigger games get anywhere close to the budget of a typical AAA Ubisoft or Square-Enix game.

I remember reading somewhere that BOTW needed to sell 2 million to break even
That was a mistranslation

And do we have the corrected one?
What Miyamoto actually said was that a game could be considered a success if it breaks 300k in Japanese marketing, but that there were games that would need 2m to break even. He was talking in general terms of the industry and not about BotW specifically. That link was made by western sites later.

What we do know about BotW is that it had a 4 year dev cycle and that its team had more than 300 developers at some point (or counting everyone from start to finish idk).

Wasn't BOTW their biggest game ever, in terms of budget and manpower?

Even so, I doubt most of Nintendo's bigger games get anywhere close to the budget of a typical AAA Ubisoft or Square-Enix game.
It was when it released in 2017.
But Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the game that ended up having the biggest budget because it had 3 additional years of development for DLC, also licensing of a lot of publishers. That game got to the western definition of AAA(as in more than 100m US$ budget). Probably the only Nintendo game to do so, even tho I suspect that counting marketing BotW and ACNH got there.

Breath of the Wild 2 is having a huge development cycle.

The game that probably got a huge budget tho is Metroid Prime 4. If it comes by holiday 2023 it'll end up having 7 years of development between the scrapped Bandaid Namco game and the Retro rebooted that will be released.

I wonder if any analyst could make a count and estimate how much those games cost and how much Nintendo spends on marketing for them. It's fun to speculate.

I really hope Nintendo will use this money to make their online service better, especially with the new pricing tier.

tumblr_mde3dxn3zj1qlvwnco1_400.gifv

The Switch online is garbage even when compared to the WiiU, and that system was free to use online...

I genuinely think it got worse after the Online service subscription went live. Like, I do absolutely believe there's no relation between the two (more-so the user base kept increasing year-to-year what caused it more-so, including the eShop issues), but the fact instead of getting better it got worse after the subscriptions went up and instead of using the income to reach out for better online infrastructure as a whole... Beyond frustrating.

I really hope they build their online infrastructure more and that COVID taught them a lesson about playing with friends. And maybe making voice chat simple like every other game system provides.

The next console after Switch will be interesting to see where they build off from there. So many ideas early on with replaceable controllers to switch into the console to change the gameplay of certain games, not to mention the heavy desire for more 1st party Nintendo games will have them explore more options to have other companies use their IP's or build off existing engines/builds of games for easy sequels.

Use that expanded development to develop F-zero finally. Nah but seriously, I hope this will greatly expand the quality and speed of game development but also I hope they invest in their online infrastructure.

Back
Top Bottom