• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
That won't happen if the successor is supply limited. No matter how big a corporation you are it's always difficult to launch a new tech in massive numbers, especially during these times where the chip shortage is still going on. PS5 and Xbox SX couldn't normalize the stock until their 3rd year, I don't think things are in Nintendo's favor either.

2024 launch or not, Nintendo is still gonna push the current Switch for the holiday as if it's the only system they have. It's still gonna have a banger lineup and some limited edition consoles to support that. Maybe a small chance but I still believe in the existence of the final SKU.
You have to keep in mind that PS5 and Xbox Series released at the height of the pandemic, which had a huge impact how how many consoles could be produced. Unless we get hit with COVID 24 or whatever, Nintendo isn't going to face that same problem. There will be supply issues obviously, but it won't be anything like what Sony and Microsoft just faced.

What i really need to know in terms of Switch 2, is what kind of BC will be present. Digital only or carts as well ? Kinda not feeling good about buying late Switch games as physicals right now because i can see them having only BC for digital/eShop content.

What i really need to know in terms of Switch 2, is what kind of BC will be present. Digital only or carts as well ? Kinda not feeling good about buying late Switch games as physicals right now because i can see them having only BC for digital/eShop content.
It will most likely be like Wii and Wii U BC where games won't have improvements on the performance side as it will just run the game natively like using the NSW profile.

It will most likely be like Wii and Wii U BC where games won't have improvements on the performance side as it will just run the game natively like using the NSW profile.
not technically possible here. the Wii U was a hopped up Wii, with the CPU clocking down and turning off cores and the GPU being binary compatible when you play a Wii game. Drake can't do that. the CPU might be binary compatible but it's not an A57 and will not act like one. and the GPU is not completely compatible, which is why the BC discussion is even happening

Nintendo has the largest % of physical sales, they'd sooner do no BC then digital only BC.

This is a weird post because it goes against pretty much all of the discussion regarding BC, so I'm curious as to why this is your take. We know that the Switch 2 hardware is not natively compatible with Switch 1 (and Switch 2 likely won't include Switch 1 hardware to achieve BC for obvious reasons), and we already know that Nintendo have mechanisms for next-gen patches for Switch 1 games. While that doesn't say anything about what limitations will be placed on Switch 1 games in BC mode, it would be weird if they didn't allow raised limits in BC mode with such a feature.

not technically possible here. the Wii U was a hopped up Wii, with the CPU clocking down and turning off cores and the GPU being binary compatible when you play a Wii game. Drake can't do that. the CPU might be binary compatible but it's not an A57 and will not act like one. and the GPU is not completely compatible, which is why the BC discussion is even happening

This is a weird post because it goes against pretty much all of the discussion regarding BC, so I'm curious as to why this is your take. We know that the Switch 2 hardware is not natively compatible with Switch 1 (and Switch 2 likely won't include Switch 1 hardware to achieve BC for obvious reasons), and we already know that Nintendo have mechanisms for next-gen patches for Switch 1 games. While that doesn't say anything about what limitations will be placed on Switch 1 games in BC mode, it would be weird if they didn't allow raised limits in BC mode with such a feature.
Sorry, I don't mean hardware BC just I don't expect any games to run better or take advantage of the hardware using BC. Think of it how Xbox Series S runs Xbox One games without One X patches.

Sorry, I don't mean hardware BC just I don't expect any games to run better or take advantage of the hardware using BC. Think of it how Xbox Series S runs Xbox One games without One X patches.
that's a different situation because of the multiple models and the need for product differentiation. MS says the Series S is the One S's successor, and all that. not to mention that because of how it's designed it might not even be able to run One X builds. it has less ram after all

Nintendo has the largest % of physical sales, they'd sooner do no BC then digital only BC.
No BC at all would be a PR nightmare. Especially after how they have talked about the Nintendo account being the bridge across devices and generations until recently.

Physical wise the lack of BC could be explained through the new used media, card slot, lack of space etc. on Switch 2. When the real reason would just be to not be bothered by that massive 2nd hand and used market of Switch market.
Personally i think it will have BC for physical and digital but i really would love to have some official confirmation soon.

Digital BC = 100%
Physical BC = 75%

There are some business related reasons i can see why they would be fine with not offering physical media BC.

Physical media will be gone whether Nintendo likes it or not. The cartridge technology is already lagging behind and next gen games will be even bigger. The first iteration of the successor should have physical option for both native and old Switch games but Nintendo is likely ditch the format altogether with the first hardware revision. Similar to what they did with DS.

As soon the doomed future of digital only games for all platforms with no options arrive, I'll gladly be stuck in the past with older titles.

So much good stuff still to play, so little time in this vessel.

As soon the doomed future of digital only games for all platforms with no options arrive
I think there will be some options to save us from the disadvantages of the digital only gaming. Namely, the physical licenses of digital games. Buy a game from a digital store, finish it, convert it into a physical license, give it away or sell it to someone else, they use the license to add the game to their digital library. I don't know if the current technology allows such a thing but I'm sure someday it will.

the CPU might be binary compatible but it's not an A57 and will not act like one. and the GPU is not completely compatible, which is why the BC discussion is even happening

Actually, my understanding is that because the A78C cores support the same instruction set as the A57 cores, the CPU code would run perfectly on the newer CPU with the only difference being the A78C cores will get the work done considerably faster. This is a big deal because in the past, CPU code was typically more troublesome to emulate. When Nintendo ported Mario Galaxy and Zelda Skyward Sword to Switch, they ported the CPU code to run natively on the A57 cores but they chose to emulate the GPU. I think this is very similar to how BC will be handled on SNG. The CPU code will run natively but they will have an emulation layer for the GPU.

Actually, my understanding is that because the A78C cores support the same instruction set as the A57 cores, the CPU code would run perfectly on the newer CPU with the only difference being the A78C cores will get the work done considerably faster. This is a big deal because in the past, CPU code was typically more troublesome to emulate. When Nintendo ported Mario Galaxy and Zelda Skyward Sword to Switch, they ported the CPU code to run natively on the A57 cores but they chose to emulate the GPU. I think this is very similar to how BC will be handled on SNG. The CPU code will run natively but they will have an emulation layer for the GPU.
yea, the speed is what I meant by it won't act like an A57. you'd have to clock it to ridiculous numbers to match the Switch's performance. not even sure if it's possible

I fear Nintendo might restrict backward compatibly, for NSO users, want to play Super Mario Odyssey on Switch sucessor, sign to NSO to play in our next hardware

God, I hope not. I am so sick of their rushed release schedule. I know Scarlet and Violet sold 20 million so quickly, but they dropped off really fast. I hope Gamefreak realizes the potential of an Evergreen Pokemon Game on Nintendo Switch 1/2, a Pokemon Game brought to us fans with love and care
Well, my schedule gives them a 4 year development cycle rather than the current 3, so that's an improvement.

Physical media will be gone whether Nintendo likes it or not. The cartridge technology is already lagging behind and next gen games will be even bigger. The first iteration of the successor should have physical option for both native and old Switch games but Nintendo is likely ditch the format altogether with the first hardware revision. Similar to what they did with DS.
What do you mean "already lagging behind"? You talking as if the Switch has already achieved the pinnacle of cartridge technology or something. You shouldn't mistake the design Nintendo settled on back in 2016 and has largely stuck to (in part because it's partially baked into the Switch motherboard) for absolute limits on what cartridges are capable of.

Nah

What do you mean "already lagging behind"? You talking as if the Switch has already achieved the pinnacle of cartridge technology or something. You shouldn't mistake the design Nintendo settled on back in 2016 and has largely stuck to (in part because it's partially baked into the Switch motherboard) for absolute limits on what cartridges are capable of.
It's hard to know about what cartridge technology is capable of today as the Switch is the only piece of hardware left using them. Can there be a new technology that could put an end to all those code-in-a-box or "Download required, see back" problems we're having right now? I mean the games will get even bigger and devs are doing nothing to compress them. CoD games are likely to pass 200gb pretty soon.

One thing I know, SD card technology is progressing very slowly. We've just recently got 1.5tb card and it's gonna be some time before it becomes affordable. Digital is a big problem for the successor even before its launch, we are limited by super expensive and small sized SD cards. I just can't imagine the read only physical media being a better and cheaper solution to this.

It's hard to know about what cartridge technology is capable of today as the Switch is the only piece of hardware left using them. Can there be a new technology that could put an end to all those code-in-a-box or "Download required, see back" problems we're having right now? I mean the games will get even bigger and devs are doing nothing to compress them. CoD games are likely to pass 200gb pretty soon.

One thing I know, SD card technology is progressing very slowly. We've just recently got 1.5tb card and it's gonna be some time before it becomes affordable. Digital is a big problem for the successor even before its launch, we are limited by super expensive and small sized SD cards. I just can't imagine the read only physical media being a better and cheaper solution to this.
As long as there are price differences between various cartridge sizes, you'll have some of the more greedy publishers going with a smaller size than they actually require, but I see no reason to think 64GB and 128GB capacities will remain out of reach, at the very least. They will most likely achieve higher densities by stacking the memory cells in three dimensions, similar to how more recent flash memory is constructed.

SD cards are not the best place to look for advancements, as the lack of SD card slots on recent phones has been removing much of the pressure on SD cards to improve. It would not be surprising at all to see Nintendo try to kickstart one of the nascent options with a faster interface for their next console.

What Is the general consensus for third party on switch successor? I think a very high probability that it’s going to be beast mode compared to previous consoles.
Hard to predict, some of the publishers will be there day 1 with everything they have, others will play the wait-and-see game. You can guess which ones will be what by looking at their Switch support.

Only thing is certain: This is gonna top every single handheld launch ever. Publishers always bet on Nintendo home consoles and but rarely on handhelds and that's why home console launch window lineups have always been better than handhelds (Wii's was the best one so far). Switch was no exception. But the successor will definitely be the change.

What Is the general consensus for third party on switch successor? I think a very high probability that it’s going to be beast mode compared to previous consoles.

Ubisoft: Will probably downport everything 2028

Square: Will downport everything until 2028 and will port over PS4 games

EA: Will downport everything

Take Two: Will put 2K on the system and will port over PS4 games, but their current gen games are likely too advanced

WB: Will downport everything

Capcom: Will port over PS4 games, will try to downport everything but we’ll see

KT: Will be hired a lot by Nintendo… Downport wise, it’s hard to see. Their new engine… It’s fucking terrible and runs like total shit on lower end PC hardware.

Namco: Will downport everything, will be hired a lot by Nintendo

Sega: Will downport most of their non PC stuff.

Microsoft: Legally required to release Call of Duty on Switch, unclear about Diablo 4 expansions

Embracer: Will probably try to downport everything but are a clusterfuck

Konami: I assume they will try to downport everything but are also a clusterfuck

Today I learned about Project Bloom, game made by Private Division and GameFreak. Do you think it will be exclusive to Switch 2?
nah. if they intended it to be exclusive, they'd probably have Nintendo supporting them. partnering with Private Division was a deliberate move to assert to the public that they're independent

now whether or not they can bring their A-game...

Well, my schedule gives them a 4 year development cycle rather than the current 3, so that's an improvement.
Out of that 4 year development cycle, Gamefreak will hold around 57 honest work days, pay their employees a few Big Macs, and write off all 4 years on their tax returns

I like how the timing is probably gonna work out of late 2024 being when Sony and MS finally abandon PS4/XB1 ports while Nintendo will probably start end up getting more of them.

No BC at all would be a PR nightmare. Especially after how they have talked about the Nintendo account being the bridge across devices and generations until recently.

Physical wise the lack of BC could be explained through the new used media, card slot, lack of space etc. on Switch 2. When the real reason would just be to not be bothered by that massive 2nd hand and used market of Switch market.
Personally i think it will have BC for physical and digital but i really would love to have some official confirmation soon.

Digital BC = 100%
Physical BC = 75%

There are some business related reasons i can see why they would be fine with not offering physical media BC.
I agree that no BC at all would be a PR nightmare, but I doubt that digital-only BC would be any better on that front.
If the Switch 2 has a cartridge slot at all, then people aren't going to accept the "new used media" excuse because there's no reason why the new storage technology would necessitate changing the cartridge's shape instead of just using the same shape with added pinouts

Nintendo's share price has reached an all time high, or at least a long time high. This is now at a time where their efforts on mobile are probably the lowest they've been since they started on mobile, and there's not a single rumour (that I'm aware of) of them planning new mobile games.

So it doesn't look like shareholders are demanding mobile at all.
It is when difficulties arise again that we can discuss this again. Of course, it is of little value to draw conclusions at a time when things are going extremely well. Moreover the crappy diversification in the mobile market was carried out precisely on the pretext that things were not going well, under the pressure of a bunch of idiots.

The gays demand Switch 2

Nintendo, give them what they want or else!
Everyone knows the Gay Lifestyle is all rooftop parties and stylish airport gaming. Let us get out there and virally market!

...rumours that my gay lifestyle is playing Pokémon alone at home are slanderous lies don't listen to them

Hey, I noticed that NTDOY has consistently been going up for the past 7 days without much buzz going on at all, Is anything happening among the uncles warranting the increase?
Investors are likely anticipating new hardware next year, hence them buying up stocks early.

Investors are likely anticipating new hardware next year, hence them buying up stocks early.
Majority of investors aren't 'buy and hold" types, they operate on much shorter timeframes and would sell shares right after the announcement ("cashing in their speculation").

Although why there's a run up in shares is anybody's guess. I just want to note that markets in general, not just Nintendo, have been on a run up lately - we are close to hitting the ATH (all time high) levels we saw with S&P 500 index that was set on January 3, 2022. However, that's US-based index though. I see Nikkei 225 index isn't performing as well as US-based index did over the recent timeframe (a month or so)

Back
Top Bottom