• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
Capcom's among the Top 3 porting masters, so as long as it's somehow viable, expecting a whole set of Capcom's current games to drop on Switch 2 isn't too outlandish, imo.

Rather safe/easy prediction. ^^
I wouldn't say top 3, as they skipped too many games for Switch, including the remaining DMC games and Dead Rising titles.

And I hope their successor lineup comprise of newer titles like Dragon's Dogma 2 instead of old stuff like DMC5. We wouldn't hear the end of whining and complaints about $60 5 year old games on the system...

I wouldn't say top 3, as they skipped too many games for Switch, including the remaining DMC games and Dead Rising titles.

And I hope their successor lineup comprise of newer titles like Dragon's Dogma 2 instead of old stuff like DMC5. We wouldn't hear the end of whining and complaints about $60 5 year old games on the system...
Who are your top 3 porting masters if Capcom isn't part of it?

I’m all for getting FFXV again, especially since the Switch only got the Pocket Edition HD version.

Portable FFXV would be a big deal. That game made PS4 fans sound lol

FF15 is not a Skyrim, but it’s on the level of technical aspect to get into switch

And it wouldn’t surprise me if the rumors of cloud version FF’s XV and VII Remake were sorta true, but were actually referring to Switch 2 versions

Who are your top 3 porting masters if Capcom isn't part of it?
THQ Nordic should be at top, for very few games they skipped. Lots of "miracle ports".

Take Two is second. I'm still surprised that they're still going for the effort of bringing NBA games each year, they dropped it after second one on Wii.

Namco is third. Of course they didn't bring demanding current gen games to Switch but everything else had a Switch port. Their remaster efforts were much better than Capcom and Sega.

Not only Capcom didn't bother with some of the PS3 games they re-released for PS4 and Xbox One, they also didn't have a single Switch miracle port. They are the only big publisher who avoided that. Dumped all the remaining RE games to cloud. Also mediocre efforts in remastering games, bunch of 16 bit collections and nothing more. Their PS2 library is gathering dust in their attic and they're still not doing anything about it.

Take Two is second. I'm still surprised that they're still going for the effort of bringing NBA games each year, they dropped it after second one on Wii.
If I can play NBA in 1080 handheld mode on Switch 2, I definitely gonna buy it. I still regret I didn't buy an NBA on Switch, despite seeing how awesome it looked in the Switch reveal trailer.

My prediction for FFXV is that they will release it by 2026 as a 10th anniversary remaster for all systems including Switch NG.

IMO, first Switch 2 (that will not be available at Switch 1) title from Square-Enix will be Visions of Mana at launch quarter. FFVII Remake I&II will come but 2025 at least.

EDIT: Of course DQ12 will be day 1 for Switch 2 and I still predict they will revealed it at first SW presentation. But would be a interesting question and a great plus if they announced in the same presentation that a high end FF title like 7R will also come in the future.

Last edited:
Ended up trading in all my third party Switch physical games and bought the ones I am interested in on Steam Deck.

They really do run/look so much better now, I appreciate Switch for what it could do for sure but it shows just how held back the games were due to the consoles power.

I do hope Switch 2 exceeds Steam Decks power by a sizeable amount but I’ll probably stick to buying third parties on my SD going forward (The Arkham Knight port on Switch put me off haha)

No because we can't make a fairly accurate prediction on performance at a wide range of clocks. There's ample reference data to pour through that can tell is what is and isn't theoretically possible
Yeah I’m just waiting for some real leaks.

I think for technical lovers this series of videos could be very interesting.

They speak about improvements on games in general, for example, how they improve NMS including FSR2 or how they make Nier Automata more perfect

I was thinking of Square Enix titles that will be shown at a Switch 2 Presentation/Direct. I'm thinking of Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate, Visions of Mana, Octopath Traveler III/Bravely Default III,/Triangle Strategy II, Final Fantasy XIV, etc will be announced.
i could see this happening and i might add Dragon Quest 3 2D-HD remake as a potential Switch sucessor game, just the fact when the game was anounced, they didnt it plataforns it gonna release, made me suspecious

FWIW, it came to me in a dream that the next Switch is not Switch 2, but "Switch 33". I think it's like how Microsoft skipped Xbox 2, but they're doubling down on the 3.

Team Asano needs to work on making their games feel less templated. I swear Octopath (1) and Bravely Default 2 progression felt like copy-paste-edit for each main location. There’s so much talent there otherwise, they just need to up their progression and storytelling game.

Disclaimer - haven’t played Octopath 2, but Bravely 2 wasn’t that long ago.

I wonder if Nintendo would make a new Star Fox game, that's both story driven, but also have online multiplayer that has both arwing/wolfen dogfights but can be a 3rd person shooter. Like I remember from the older Halo multiplayer, where you can enter vehicles in and out the map, but also just be a shooter.

Although Star Fox is a on-rail shooter, I do think the series can evolve to something like that, if done correctly.
I'd like to see something like that for Switch 2 honestly.

I wonder if Nintendo would make a new Star Fox game, that's both story driven, but also have online multiplayer that has both arwing/wolfen dogfights but can be a 3rd person shooter. Like I remember from the older Halo multiplayer, where you can enter vehicles in and out the map, but also just be a shooter.

Although Star Fox is a on-rail shooter, I do think the series can evolve to something like that, if done correctly.

Star Fox 64 pretty much did all of that (multiplayer experimented). Then the Nintendo/Namco GameCube follow-up tried to evolve that but with really floaty non EAD control and game mechanics.

My thoughts are if we're to get one major Star Fox game, reboot the series and hire Eidos-Montreal to develop the game.
Go with a more serious tone and theme (ie; Guardians of the Galaxy X Mass Effect). I think this is what Nintendo needs to do with Star Fox in order to make the IP relevant again to a much younger audience that might not know the history...

i could see this happening and i might add Dragon Quest 3 2D-HD remake as a potential Switch sucessor game, just the fact when the game was anounced, they didnt it plataforns it gonna release, made me suspecious
that's been the norm for JP games for a good long time. I wouldn't use that as evidence of anything

I'd be pretty shocked if DQ3 2D-HD isn't on the current Switch. DQ12 I'm more unsure about. Maybe PS5/PC/Switch 2? And an Xbox port if Microsoft pays for it. I guess it really depends on when it launches.

My thoughts are if we're to get one major Star Fox game, reboot the series and hire Eidos-Montreal to develop the game.
Go with a more serious tone and theme (ie; Guardians of the Galaxy X Mass Effect). I think this is what Nintendo needs to do with Star Fox in order to make the IP relevant again to a much younger audience that might not know the history...
Scoop up Eidos Montreal from Embracer before they collapse

If the ridge racer 8 as a switch 2 launch title rumor is true, I really wish they either get rid of turbo or improve considerably upon it.
A game I feel does turbo right is need for speed. For me, it's the blur effect, sound design and camera zoom shifting that really sells the idea of 'going fast'.
No ridge racer game with nitro featured managed to replicate that experience.

Honestly, I feel like ridge racer could be amazing as more of a simulation game than an arcade racer and here's why:
RR4, the best selling game in the franchise was more leaning towards the gran turismo approach, the only problem being GT's handling was better, GT wasn't really into RR's cars and tracks with thematic features approach and when GT2 launched, they caught up to the graphical tech anyways.

The reason I feel like they could do well as a racing simulator is the fact that even doing so, they wouldn't have to compromise on the soundtrack (which imo is a strong point on key RR games) and they could still do thematic cars which would set them more apart from GT and forza.

As long as they improve the handling, get rid of nitro, get a solid OST, destructible cars and manage to reach at the very least a graphical level above GRID for switch, I'd be more than happy.

Ridge Racer 8 ?

How credible is this rumour ?
it was definitely a real thing for Switch 1 but got cancelled for whatever reason.

we've heard about it potentially being revived for Switch 2 a few times. nothing solid but enough mentions that it's well within the realms of possibility. personally i feel it's probable but i want to believe.

the latest rumour has some element of believability because it referred to the soundtrack being complete. ie someone working on the music for the game probably let it slip. wrapping up the music before holidays seems like a believable scenario, especially if the game is releasing in the next 6 months. they'd want to cut a trailer well in advance if SW2 is a H1 launch, reveal in the next 2-3 months.

They should announce that the new RR is so fast they've sped past making a sequel to the last one, and announce Ridge Racer 9.

Last edited:
Can anyone summarise when Nintendo's end-of-fiscal announcements will be? I originally thought it was as simple as end-of-fiscal results coming out in April, and at the same time, they would give their next fiscal projections, but I've seen someone say on the hardware thread that the next-fiscal projections don't come out until May.

So can anyone explain the whole situation fully?
Does anything happen in April? What happens when, with regard to information given to investors relating to the end of the fiscal year?
When do the results come out, when do the projections come out, and when is the Q&A?

Thanks! (Obviously the reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out key dates for when the system could be announced by. If we go all of Jan, Feb and March with no announcement, which is theoretically possible, then I'll start to look at those investor dates for the announcement).

Can anyone summarise when Nintendo's end-of-fiscal announcements will be? I originally thought it was as simple as end-of-fiscal results coming out in April, and at the same time, they would give their next fiscal projections, but I've seen someone say on the hardware thread that the next-fiscal projections don't come out until May.

Does anything happen in April? What happens when, with regard to information given to investors relating to the end of the fiscal year?
When do the results come out, when do the projections come out, and when is the Q&A?

Thanks! (Obviously the reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out key dates for when the system could be announced by. If we go all of Jan, Feb and March with no announcement, which is theoretically possible, then I'll start to look at those investor dates for the announcement).
I believe Nintendo usually schedule their end of Fiscal year results in the 2nd week of may
Recent examples :
FY 2023 - May 9, 2023
FY 2022 - May 10, 2022
FY 2021 - May 6, 2021
But before covid it was at the end of April (ex: FY 2019 - Apr 25, 2019)
So that's probably where the confusion is from.

This time, the expectation is nothing in April and then the results release around ~May 7, 2024.
That's the date when they release their results (for the fiscal year ending March) and details forecast for the next fiscal year (HW/SW forecast is at the end of earnings doc). The Q&A takes place the same day and is later posted on their website.

I believe Nintendo usually schedule their end of Fiscal year results in the 2nd week of may
Recent examples :
FY 2023 - May 9, 2023
FY 2022 - May 10, 2022
FY 2021 - May 6, 2021

This time, the expectation is nothing in April and then the results release around ~May 7, 2024.
That's the date when they release their results (for the fiscal year ending March) and details forecast for the next fiscal year (HW/SW forecast is at the end of earnings doc). The Q&A takes place the same day and is later posted on their website.
That's super helpful thank you very much! Good to know it's one event for results and for forecast, that's how I originally thought it worked, but got confused recently.

So in theory, we could be in the dark about Switch 2 until early May.
Moving forward I can see the Switch 2 reveal being as early as mid January, and as late as early May. But I just can't see it being any later than the fiscal results and forecast release. (Not a particularly revolutionary position to hold I know haha, but good to get it clear in my head now).

Recent examples :
FY 2023 - May 9, 2023
FY 2022 - May 10, 2022
FY 2021 - May 6, 2021

Nintendo usually posts their full year earnings before or after Golden Week in Japan, a series of national holidays that lasts a week or a week and a half at the end of April and beginning of May. Most recent years, it has been released after.

With DK section of SNW opening spring next year at Universal Osaka I’m curious if they are planning to release a (outsourced) DKC Returns HD remaster/remake. I know, it sounds pre Switch 2 FY2024/2025 potential Nintendo lineup is very port/remake heavy (MP2/3, LM2, DKC, PM TTYD, FE4, F-Zero GX, Zelda TP/WW) but thats what we should expect with something new like for example a new Tomodachi game.

With DK section of SNW opening spring next year at Universal Osaka I’m curious if they are planning to release a (outsourced) DKC Returns HD remaster/remake. I know, it sounds pre Switch 2 FY2024/2025 potential Nintendo lineup is very port/remake heavy (MP2/3, LM2, DKC, PM TTYD, FE4, F-Zero GX, Zelda TP/WW) but thats what we should expect with something new like for example a new Tomodachi game.
One of my biggest predictions for the successor reveal event is the new Donkey Kong Country game by Retro. We'll find out that the reason MP4 was taking too much time is Retro had been working on DKCR3 at the same time. Only Retro can do the series justice and I want this hypothetical game to be quite a looker on the successor hardware.

I doubt we'll see Tomodachi anytime soon because I totally expect Sakamoto to be veeery busy with Metroid Dread sequel with MercurySteam.

One of my biggest predictions for the successor reveal event is the new Donkey Kong Country game by Retro. We'll find out that the reason MP4 was taking too much time is Retro had been working on DKCR3 at the same time. Only Retro can do the series justice and I want this hypothetical game to be quite a looker on the successor hardware.

I doubt we'll see Tomodachi anytime soon because I totally expect Sakamoto to be veeery busy with Metroid Dread sequel with MercurySteam.
Sakamoto has produced multiple titles that have released in the same year and Tomodachi has a much higher sales potential than any Metroid title. There's no reason to believe another entry isn't on the way.

Retro isn’t making a new DK game. They literally needed to add people just to get Metroid Prime 4 going

I think if there's truly a new DK game coming with the Switch 2, we're quickly burning through the window where a remaster/remake of a different DK title would be revealed and released. Given I think Nintendo would try to avoid overlap.

If there is no new DK game coming, I guess bets are off and they'd probably want DK something to coincide with the park. Though they'd also want it on Switch 2, given that's the one that will, y'know, exist as the current system in the subsequent years concurrently with the park.

Your predictions involve Retro having worked on MP1, MP4, and DKCR3 all at the same time?

...even for Intelligent Systems that would be a full plate.

It's not like Tomodachi and Metroid 6 would be the same dev. Sakamoto can work on more than one thing at a time. He did Dread and the FDC remakes simultaneously.

Your predictions involve Retro having worked on MP1, MP4, and DKCR3 all at the same time?
Not MP1 of course. They could have started new DKC after it's completed and we know Nintendo likes to sit on completed games. If we get a DKC reveal next year for the successor, I's expect it to launch in 2025.

I don't see anyone else doing a good DKC game besides Retro. GoodFeel is another good candidate but Retro nailed the difficulty, GoodFeel is expertise is in easier games (I'm playing Mameda right now, they definitely have a sweet spot).

gif-king-kong-3D-1217038.gif

I find it hard to believe that Retro was working on both MP4 and a new Donkey Kong at the same time, even when we assume they've been sitting on the finished Prime 1 Remaster for a while. They're not super big, as far as I know, and have been hiring basically non stop since taking over Prime 4. Also didn't someone from them go on record of not being really interested in revisiting Donkey Kong?

I find it hard to believe that Retro was working on both MP4 and a new Donkey Kong at the same time, even when we assume they've been sitting on the finished Prime 1 Remaster for a while. They're not super big, as far as I know, and have been hiring basically non stop since taking over Prime 4. Also didn't someone from them go on record of not being really interested in revisiting Donkey Kong?
They definitely haven’t worked on any DK game. They went from Tropical Freeze to experimental game to Metroid Prime 1 Remaster and Metroid Prime 4.

Mostly just me coping but what if they got a studio to remaster pokemon sv for the switch 2?
Less a remaster and more of just fixing the problems. It's not a crazy thing to do as studios call on other companies to assist with programming and rendering. But they don't need Drake to fix the myriad of problems. Even if fixed, Pokemon is far from the most impressive Switch game to start with

Back
Top Bottom