• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 231 57.5%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 48 11.9%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 64 15.9%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 33 8.2%

• Total voters
where do i sign? Switch 2 best console ever confirmed.

lets run with that rumour a minute if parts of launch titles are in completion then H1 could still be alive. Jan announce, March blow-out, June launch lets go!

If RR8 is real, I wonder if it will be a visual showpiece for the system.
pretty sure RR8 is real as it was confirmed being worked on for Switch before being 'cancelled' and has popped up more than once re Switch 2 rumours.

forget about Switch 2 the game will be a showcase for videogaming in general.

yes i like Ridge Racer.

pretty sure RR8 is real as it was confirmed being worked on for Switch before being 'cancelled' and has popped up more than once re Switch 2 rumours.

forget about Switch 2 the game will be a showcase for videogaming in general.

yes i like Ridge Racer.
Will be one hell of a launch title at any rate.

And if it signals at least a small resurgence of arcade racers, I will be happy as a clam!

Will be one hell of a launch title at any rate.

And if it signals at least a small resurgence of arcade racers, I will be happy as a clam!
Nintendo always seemed to have a soft-spot for the series as we got N64/3DS entries (3DS being a launch title no less) despite neither selling very well.

would be the perfect series to revive & fund/partially fund an exclusive. visual showcase, definitive arcade racer at a time where there seems to be some sort of thirst for this genre again.

the Singapore track in Tour/MK8 feels heavily RR-influenced with it's setting & music

If I remember correctly, Ridge Racer 8 was somewhat rumoured to be a Switch exclusive. Glad they are still working on it. I think it will also be a nice launch title/launch window for the system.
Hopefully the march announcement is also true as well. The other games mentiones in the lineup are appealinh to me as well.
On another note, I absolutely believed Xenoblade Warriors will be the next Nintendo-themed warriors game.

Save timesplitters NINTENDO!!

I always felt the sidesplitters style of shooter is what Nintendo should try to emulate if they wanted to give that genre a try. Have retro studios take over and help.
too late. with the staff and studio canned, saving it now is a lost cause. the artists are posting work on Artstation, so the assets can't be used

Smash 6 should revamp the old fighters from Brawl.
For example, Mario should change his animation and sound effects based on Wonder, besides changing the VA, and stop using the outdated Wii model.

Not sure if a hot take but SSBB's Mario was the best model of Mario, even compared to SSB4/SSBU

Save timesplitters NINTENDO!!

I always felt the sidesplitters style of shooter is what Nintendo should try to emulate if they wanted to give that genre a try. Have retro studios take over and help.
Please. I don't believe it will happen but I gotta put this manifestation into the universe regardless.

TimeSplitters never deserved to languish in eternity, just to get scooped by Embracer and immediately tossed like an unwanted toy. Nintendo still does not have a FPS game in their roster, let alone a good western FPS from third parties on the system or specializes in online multiplayer shenanigans, and was first developed by former Rare devs who understand that Nintendo magic that made GoldenEye/Perfect Dark so special.

They would know the secret sauce FPS games are missing these days (FUCK REGEN HEALTH; ALL MY HOMIES HATE REGEN HEALTH), the ability to rotate around six different weapons, and above all this could be their "edgy" IP that satirizes the gaming landscape as a whole.

We've got some specs. We're starting to get some games (a big one, too). Now what I want is timelines...surely one of these days, one of these software leaks will include a detail on that game's launch window. Might not be the same as the console's launch, but it'll be something. Surely...

Racing games are notably absent on Switch compared to other genres. PSP racing game support runs circles around it
DS too! Might be unbelievable but DS had pretty robust racing library. high quality too, Firebrand games did justice to NFS series on DS, even had one exclusive game.

Other current consoles suffer from lack of racing games but at least they have full EA support and both MS and Sony has their own long running racing series. Maybe it is what Nintendo needs too. They do own one racing brand after all.

There's no denying that the huge success of MK8 is a strong explanatory factor too, although I know it's not exactly the same thing.

I was considering writing up a post on the Bandai Namco stuff for users who didn't want to dig through the First Party thread, I'd figured next week would be a good time to post it since next year will kick Direct+Switch 2 speculation into high gear and the content perverts will start in on that instead

Not sure if a hot take but SSBB's Mario was the best model of Mario, even compared to SSB4/SSBU

Please. I don't believe it will happen but I gotta put this manifestation into the universe regardless.

TimeSplitters never deserved to languish in eternity, just to get scooped by Embracer and immediately tossed like an unwanted toy. Nintendo still does not have a FPS game in their roster, let alone a good western FPS from third parties on the system or specializes in online multiplayer shenanigans, and was first developed by former Rare devs who understand that Nintendo magic that made GoldenEye/Perfect Dark so special.

They would know the secret sauce FPS games are missing these days (FUCK REGEN HEALTH; ALL MY HOMIES HATE REGEN HEALTH), the ability to rotate around six different weapons, and above all this could be their "edgy" IP that satirizes the gaming landscape as a whole.
why Nintendo need a fps, when they have Splatoon? Metroid Prime is also a fps(ok more like a fpa, first person adventure)

why Nintendo need a fps, when they have Splatoon? Metroid Prime is also a fps(ok more like a fpa, first person adventure)
Because a third-person shooter like Splatoon is not a first-person shooter, and Metroid Prime's FPS multiplayer was only in MP2, supported a maximum of four players, and by all accounts (never played it) was rather lacklustre. Now if they wanted to bring back some elements of Metroid Prime Hunters multiplayer, it'd be extremely barebones but at least it would add variety to their library.

My grievances with CoD is how twitchy your fingers need to be to play, let alone win, and why I'm a bigger fan of boomer shooters like Halo/Quake that are slower paced, and more so why I appreciate TimeSplitters/GoldenEye/(I think Perfect Dark?) is that you were allowed to carry more than two weapons at a time for true chaos, along with health paks, armor, and map spawned equipment/power ups, and even as something as simple as bots so you could play the multiplayer solo

We've got some specs. We're starting to get some games (a big one, too). Now what I want is timelines...surely one of these days, one of these software leaks will include a detail on that game's launch window. Might not be the same as the console's launch, but it'll be something. Surely...
What specs you speak of?

I definitely want to see what EPD can do with a first person shooter that isn't weighed down by the needs of being a multiplayer success
Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it and it not be what you wanted.

I definitely want to see what EPD can do with a first person shooter that isn't weighed down by the needs of being a multiplayer success
To be clear, I'm certainly not advocating for Battle Royale nonsense. Eight or twelve players for local/online, maybe 24 for Big Team Battles like Halo Infinite does.

But to this day, ever since Miyamoto said he could make a Halo killer, I want him to put his money where his mouth is. Sure, damn near anything could kill Halo at this rate (despite the best efforts of 343i), but nevertheless I want to see his specific vision and interpretation of an FPS game that would supposedly take the world by storm.

E: lmao at this Engadget article from 2007

Yes, Shigeru Miyamoto told Entertainment Weekly that he could make Halo, although he did go on to say, "It's that I choose not to." It's hard to imagine what a Miyamoto-designed Halo would look like. Lots of bright colors, anthropomorphic flora and fauna, and guns that squirt pink goo come to mind. On second thought, maybe imagining that is a bad, bad idea.

And, to be fair to my own comment, this was Miyamoto's exact quote because the article from Entertainment Weekly no longer exists,

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design. I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play.

Last edited:
Because a third-person shooter like Splatoon is not a first-person shooter, and Metroid Prime's FPS multiplayer was only in MP2, supported a maximum of four players, and by all accounts (never played it) was rather lacklustre. Now if they wanted to bring back some elements of Metroid Prime Hunters multiplayer, it'd be extremely barebones but at least it would add variety to their library.

My grievances with CoD is how twitchy your fingers need to be to play, let alone win, and why I'm a bigger fan of boomer shooters like Halo/Quake that are slower paced, and more so why I appreciate TimeSplitters/GoldenEye/(I think Perfect Dark?) is that you were allowed to carry more than two weapons at a time for true chaos, along with health paks, armor, and map spawned equipment/power ups, and even as something as simple as bots so you could play the multiplayer solo
multiplayer was never a focus for Metroid Prime 2, Splatoon is more of a arena shooter, then tradicional shooters like COD

multiplayer was never a focus for Metroid Prime 2, Splatoon is more of a arena shooter, then tradicional shooters like COD
Exactly, hence the need for Nintendo to have their own take on a first person shooter

You don't have to wait much longer; in 6 weeks, we will almost certainly know the approximate launch window. Either the system is announced (with a launch window) in some way by early February, or it's not, in which case Fall '24 is just about confirmed, with the game release dates we'll get during the inevitable February Direct perhaps narrowing it down a bit.

Look back 6 weeks and the hardware thread was going into overdrive over the prospect of an imminent announcement; doesn't it feel like yesterday? We're almost there.

Imagine before Splatoon was made and you asked Nintendo to make a third person shooter. You’d be chastised by some Nintendo fans for wanting Nintendo’s take on a third person shooter. Look what we got. If people ask for a first person shooter or an EPD horror game there’s nothing wrong. You never know what Nintendo would come up with.

Last edited:
I remember the older Far Cry games had a Map Editor used for local and online multiplayer. That was something very cool. One of my latest maps I made in Far Cry Instincts for original Xbox was a 3D version of Pokemon's pewter city, but unfortunately there was no one online anymore.

If Nintendo ever is gonna make a FPS, that is what I want to see coming. And seeing that more frequent Nintendo games have a kind of editor feature (Smash, Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart Home Circuit, ACNH's terraforming) in them, it would make sense to do that in a potential FPS aswell. But yeah, a map editor/maker/builder is what I like to see.

What specs you speak of?
info from the NVIDIA hack, CPU, and we have at least an educated guess at what the ram could be based on what’s been shared
You don't have to wait much longer; in 6 weeks, we will almost certainly know the approximate launch window. Either the system is announced (with a launch window) in some way by early February, or it's not, in which case Fall '24 is just about confirmed, with the game release dates we'll get during the inevitable February Direct perhaps narrowing it down a bit.

Look back 6 weeks and the hardware thread was going into overdrive over the prospect of an imminent announcement; doesn't it feel like yesterday? We're almost there.
Good points. We’re a week away from open season and no matter what we’re just gonna be getting closer and closer. It’ll be here before we know it

What specs you speak of?
Runs on ARM and the NVidia Ampere and advanced ray tracing and DLSSCan run games such as Cyberpunk, Fully Ray Traced Control, Death Stranding at a good clip on an unoptimized PC port that is "equivalent" to the specs of ampere.

As per digital foundry, it's a hit. Will at least run current gen games at 720p-1080p, we aren't sure about upscaling to 4k, but will be very possible on optimized games with DLSS. Check out the hardware thread, but due to leaks, it's pretty set in stone.

Bandai Namco is going to want to get everything that they can on switch 2 launch day. Just think about it, an uninspired Bomberman game lit up the charts due to just being there, Bandai will want a piece of that pie.

Dead? I know Ridge Racer hasn't been relevant in some-time but isn't Forza Horizon the evolution of those arcade racing games
on the sliding scale of arcade/sim, it definitely leans more to the sim but is firmly in the middle. personally I'd say Ridge Racer is in the middle but leans towards the arcade side

that said, Forza Horizon and the few other simcades are more or less the end here. lots of other racing series died off. Need for Speed is a foot in the grave, unfortunately. GRID is pretty redundant methinks. DiRT ain't coming back after 5's underperformance. just not too many IPs left once you leave the sim side of things

wonder how much time and resources will be put into RR8 if it's real, since looking at the scores of the other games only type 4 and the first PSP game are the only critical acclaimed games in the franchise with the other being 7/10 at most

jokes on you, the weirder, the better. I wouldn't ask for this if I was expecting something "normal"

Runs on ARM and the NVidia Ampere and advanced ray tracing and DLSSCan run games such as Cyberpunk, Fully Ray Traced Control, Death Stranding at a good clip on an unoptimized PC port that is "equivalent" to the specs of ampere.

As per digital foundry, it's a hit. Will at least run current gen games at 720p-1080p, we aren't sure about upscaling to 4k, but will be very possible on optimized games with DLSS. Check out the hardware thread, but due to leaks, it's pretty set in stone.

Bandai Namco is going to want to get everything that they can on switch 2 launch day. Just think about it, an uninspired Bomberman game lit up the charts due to just being there, Bandai will want a piece of that pie.
Isn’t all this baseless without know what the clocks will run at?

I was thinking of Square Enix titles that will be shown at a Switch 2 Presentation/Direct. I'm thinking of Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate, Visions of Mana, Octopath Traveler III/Bravely Default III,/Triangle Strategy II, Final Fantasy XIV, etc will be announced.

I was thinking of Square Enix titles that will be shown at a Switch 2 Presentation/Direct. I'm thinking of Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate, Visions of Mana, Octopath Traveler III/Bravely Default III,/Triangle Strategy II, Final Fantasy XIV, etc will be announced.
Square might get a big segment in the switch presentation

DQ XII should get it's first unveil in a SQEX stream/event. If that happens before the Switch 2 presentation, it might be seen there too, though.

About the Team Asano game series ... i think there will be one of them, but not more, dude can only work on so many games at once.
If anything, DQ 3 HD-2D Remake might be shown too, and that technically is a Team Asano game.

FF ... dunno. Wildcard for me. I could see not a single FF game, i could see maybe FF 7 Remake (but not Rebirth), i could see something incredibly dumb like a FF XIII collection, or a FF XV complete edition.

Visions of Mana has to be there. I'll go as far and say Nintendo systems are the main platform for Mana now, if Visions is a no-show then we gotta legit ask what the heck's wrong with SQEX.

DQ XII should get it's first unveil in a SQEX stream/event. If that happens before the Switch 2 presentation, it might be seen there too, though.

About the Team Asano game series ... i think there will be one of them, but not more, dude can only work on so many games at once.
If anything, DQ 3 HD-2D Remake might be shown too, and that technically is a Team Asano game.

FF ... dunno. Wildcard for me. I could see not a single FF game, i could see maybe FF 7 Remake (but not Rebirth), i could see something incredibly dumb like a FF XIII collection, or a FF XV complete edition.

Visions of Mana has to be there. I'll go as far and say Nintendo systems are the main platform for Mana now, if Visions is a no-show then we gotta legit ask what the heck's wrong with SQEX.

When I said "Octopath Traveler III/Bravely Default III,/Triangle Strategy II" I meant one of them, not all three haha.

Square is one of the few publishers that'll stick with Switch for a time being. Aside from DQ12, which I think still very early for, most of Square's non-FF games target original Switch hardware. I totally expect next two Asano games, Visions of Mana, Nier Replicant port, one more DQ spinoff to be Switch 1 titles.

But... Square might have some surprises to help showing off the successor's graphical capabilities. FF16 could be the best candidate if its exclusivity is ending soon but if it's not, they can bring Stranger's Paradise. Though my money is on FF16.

Speaking about a Nintendo FPS: Did some of you play Geist on GameCube? While it had its shortcomings, the core gameplay had nice ideas. And the Multiplayer Mode was awesome! To bad, it came so late into the console lifecycle and nobody cared. This has big potential, if done right. And it seems, that Miyamoto had an advisory role on this project.

Oh, and if you need a good arcade racer, i can recommend Cruisn Blast. Great, over the top racing game for Switch and you can get it pretty cheap!

Capcom's among the Top 3 porting masters, so as long as it's somehow viable, expecting a whole set of Capcom's current games to drop on Switch 2 isn't too outlandish, imo.

Rather safe/easy prediction. ^^

Imagine before Splatoon was made and you asked Nintendo to make a third person shooter. You’d be chastised by some Nintendo fans for wanting Nintendo’s take on a third person shooter. Look what we got. If people ask for a first person shooter or an EPD horror game there’s nothing wrong. You never know what Nintendo would come up with.
EPD starts with a gameplay concept rather than genre, though.

Back
Top Bottom