• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
I'm honestly shocked y'all are so confident MP4 is even gonna release on Switch 2. There's very little to say it will or won't, and in all likelihood there's not much even saying a new console will 100% release next year. MP4 could be the holiday title for switch next year with switch 2 coming in early 2025.
this is a likelier timeline than many of us care to admit

Maybe Astral Chain 2 will be the launch title and sell 15 million copies. I mean, Platinum is talented, and at this point, we've been waiting a while.

Don't say it can't. You don't know. It might surprise us and pull a BotW. It's a risk, but hey, what else are they going to release? Mario?

Botw says hi
I... okay, on one hand, yes, Breath of the Wild. But on the other hand, the only people who bought the Wii U version is me and ten other people, and they even stopped making Wii Us at that point.

Not saying that Metroid Prime 4 can't be there on launch day, but if it is, it will be the side course to something else, like Twilight Princess was to Wii Sports.

I'm honestly shocked y'all are so confident MP4 is even gonna release on Switch 2. There's very little to say it will or won't, and in all likelihood there's not much even saying a new console will 100% release next year. MP4 could be the holiday title for switch next year with switch 2 coming in early 2025.
Nah no way they will let prime 4 just be left on switch 1 after all the time they took to develop it and how close it is to switch 2's release

this is a likelier timeline than many of us care to admit
I'm not sure about likelier, but it's definitely possible. We already know of games releasing up to summer, and TTYD will probably be late summer early fall (Aug - late Sept.) All that's really missing is the one big holiday title, which could easily be MP4 which could be revealed in Feb or June.

Meanwhile the march date we've heard of could be the formal announcement with September to October being the reveal timeframe.

I'm not sure about likelier, but it's definitely possible. We already know of games releasing up to summer, and TTYD will probably be late summer early fall (Aug - late Sept.) All that's really missing is the one big holiday title, which could easily be MP4 which could be revealed in Feb or June.

Meanwhile the march date we've heard of could be the formal announcement with September to October being the reveal timeframe.
it's likelier than "impossible," which is what I suspect many participants of this thread would be inclined to call it lol

but we've done the "it's not missing the end of next year" thing at least twice now, I'm not getting caught up in it again

November should be the month. It's the month Nintendo launched most consoles (in NA):

November: Game Boy Color, GameCube, Wii, Nintendo DS
March: 3DS, Switch
June: GBA
July: Game Boy
August: SNES, Virtual Boy
September: N64

And yes, once it's a November launch, both Call of Duty (usually an early November release) and Assassin's Creed (usually an October release) can be launch day games.

So more than doubling the numbers of the previous game is not much of a jump ?

Not every franchise has Zelda or Mario pull, Nintendo is expanding slowly but surely and they do it effectively.

MP4 might do 5-10m and that's good enough for Nintendo to keep going. MP5 will do 10-15m, MP6 15-20m and so on, this is organic growth, that's how Zelda got there.

Just say that you don't like Metroid and it's ok lol.
10 million is pushing it given Metroid’s current peak. Barring an Act of God &/or Japan giving a shit about the series, 5 million is there rough ceiling for MP4. Nintendo’s gonna have to find a way to win over Japan if they want more than ~5 million LTD (give or take).

What's the most likely choice to be the killer app online multiplayer launch window title: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, or Animal Crossing?
Dark horse candidate: Metroid Prime 4 (It's a Destiny clone now)
Out of those? Mario Kart

What's the most likely choice to be the killer app online multiplayer launch window title: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, or Animal Crossing?
Mario Kart 10, maybe Animal Crossing. Smash likely won’t be until around 2026.

Well of those, only MK and MP4 are likely actually coming out in the launch window.

And which will be the killer app between Mario Kart and Metroid? Well, if you asked this thread, probably Metroid, lol

The only portable Nintendo ever launched in November is the DS. Everything else was outside a Holiday season. Not saying that November won't happen, but that's actually a much stronger correlation than "most Nintendo consoles are in November" (which isn't even true)

I love Metroid beyond belief but thinking that it'll get anywhere close to 10 million is just silly. We'd be lucky at 5 million.

The only portable Nintendo ever launched in November is the DS. Everything else was outside a Holiday season. Not saying that November won't happen, but that's actually a much stronger correlation than "most Nintendo consoles are in November" (which isn't even true)
Game Boy color also launched in November in the us

Why are we acting weird over Metroid?
Because some people on this site are incapable of talking about Metroid without roleplaying a fantasy football scenario where Metroid is a big megaton hit that sells 50 gorillion Switch units

Nah no way they will let prime 4 just be left on switch 1 after all the time they took to develop it and how close it is to switch 2's release
I mean I don't think either the system or Metroid need each other imo, MP4 will sell what it sells. Plus we don't know how close we are or aren't tbh. Plus like people were absolutely confident TotK also needed the Switch 2, some of them all the way up to march, just because it seems like the game may be releasing close doesn't mean it absolutely must be on both consoles, at least from a business perspective I guess.

Basically Nintendo is gonna do what it does and we just gotta wait and see.

Eurogamer & VGC both heard 2024 from enough sources to write articles mentioning that timeframe, plus the Switch is clearly running out of gas in both hardware sales & software. Nintendo isn’t waiting until 2025.

I'm believing May more and more from my Investor circles. I really wish I could get something that wasn't just basically "Trust me bro" lol

March reveal to May release seems tight though. Has anyone done any research on Announcement to release timing from past Nintendo launches?
I can tell you that none have been close to that tight before. Most used to get announced/revealed a year+ before they released. The Switch was revealed in Oct and released in March iirc, which is shorter, but not nearly March -> May short.

Tough call..... I expect Prime 4 to have some type of multiplayer (I never played Destiny, so I have no idea if that's good or bad). While we still have the Booster Course Pack, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the next Mario Kart in launch year. Animal Crossing might be a March 2025 title at the earliest. I don't expect Smash until Holiday 2025 at the earliest.

I'm believing May more and more from my Investor circles. I really wish I could get something that wasn't just basically "Trust me bro" lol

March reveal to May release seems tight though. Has anyone done any research on Announcement to release timing from past Nintendo launches?
if you're basing March on Nate's thing there's some thinking that it could be some sort of cert date for launch titles, which would fit perfectly with a May launch

Eurogamer & VGC both heard 2024 from enough sources to write articles mentioning that timeframe, plus the Switch is clearly running out of gas in both hardware sales & software. Nintendo isn’t waiting until 2025.
We don't know that for sure. I don't think they will wait till 2025 personally but they've enough to easily fill 2024 without having another console release.

alright I found the dsi and dsi xl also launched in november in japan but those were also revision tho
I don't know why we're comparing revisions tbh. My point was original console launches. Then it's just DS.

I'm not saying it won't launch in November to be clear. But I do think it's a bit weird when people say "most Nintendo consoles are released in November" because not only is that not even true when you include all their consoles, but handheld have a pretty strong correlation with not being November releases.

Still think November is somewhat likely though.

I want Metroid Prime 4 to grow. I’m looking out for the series and in its best interest it should release a month or two later after 3D Mario has established the user base for Switch 2.

We don't know that for sure. I don't think they will wait till 2025 personally but they've enough to easily fill 2024 without having another console release.
How do they have enough to easily fill out 2024? They’ve shown all they get is smaller Peach title, a niche remake, another remake, a remaster. We got rumors of yep yet again another remake and some yep yet again more remasters.

how many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man

reputable outlets said it was 100% 2022 and 100% 2023

this is just part of the cycle

A bit late to the 2d mario discussion, but i would really love it if they tried to make the next one (after wonder) resemble the 2d promotional art. If done right, It would look WONDERFUL! The game as we imagined in our heads when we were all itty-bitty would come to life
09c31ae1f318a7a37a6f18915d46d18a.png

Back
Top Bottom