• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 219 79.3%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
They really should’ve done more to keep the series relevant during the last several years, at least by remastering some of the older games. Games like Abyss and Xillia being basically completely unavailable nowadays is a giant shame.
probably saving it for Switch 2 port dumps at release.

Visions of Mana could be a Soul Hackers 2 situation where the game bombs and thus makes a late port to Switch 2 not worth it for Square Enix.
I bet the game has already been ported, just waiting for the Drake to come out

probably saving it for Switch 2 port dumps at release.
that's really pointless given many of these are ps2 and ps3 titles. other than 4K, there's not much to gain that the switch couldn't do.

it's more that Bamco screwed the pooch with Tales. I suspect they planned for a new game to come sooner but probably got rebooted. the Arise DLC wasn't even supposed to happen but did.

I bet the game has already been ported, just waiting for the Drake to come out

that's really pointless given many of these are ps2 and ps3 titles. other than 4K, there's not much to gain that the switch couldn't do.

it's more that Bamco screwed the pooch with Tales. I suspect they planned for a new game to come sooner but probably got rebooted. the Arise DLC wasn't even supposed to happen but did.
They ported Vesperia as an early Switch title, it's easy filler content for them. I know people want Arise, that may get ported too.

Last edited:
Visions Of Mana looks better than any of the recent Final Fantasy games from Square. Looks very appealing and good. The art style and the gameplay looks very gp friendly.

Relevant

Something from that article...

That's all crucial to Nintendo's platform strategy, which rests even more heavily on the draw of its exclusive games than its competitors. It's also been facilitated by the stellar sales of the Nintendo Switch, which is the third best-selling console of all time. But with pressure on costs constantly rising, even Nintendo will likely need the Switch's successor to be a comparably big seller to avoid having to pull the multiplatform lever.

I always chuckle when I read stuff like this...always comes off as hopium/copium for Nintendo stuff to be multiplatform.

It ain't happening lol...

I always chuckle when I read stuff like this...always comes off as hopium/copium for Nintendo stuff to be multiplatform.

Yeah, because Nintendo is not JUST thinking on putting out AAA experiences on their systems; they'll fill their schedule with smaller titles as they always had, as we wait for the next Zelda, next Smash, next Animal Crossing, etc; On top of their games never actually dropping on retail value, so they continue to sell well with their launch prices for years.

Meanwhile, other publishers and especially Sony and Microsoft are only interested on the big AAA titles, that drop on price so quickly after release and thus, having no immediate return on the development costs.

It's such a stupid argument. Nintendo's games don't cost $500m to make. They've actually conditioned their audience to accept modestly budgeted games, unlike everyone else.

It's such a stupid argument. Nintendo's games don't cost $500m to make. They've actually conditioned their audience to accept modestly budgeted games, unlike everyone else.
They've also conditioned their audience to expect quality and having fun...something I really think is lost at MS and Sony, esp the fun part.

Everything has to be "art" now...we have to have all these adult stories, everything has to be the biggest and best you've seen yet, cinematics...blah blah blah...

No...sometimes I just wanna log on with my daughter and fight as Mega Man and the Ice Climbers or race around Rainbow Road.

I don't think you meant it that way, but most Nintendo AAA games don't feel modestly budgeted to me. They look great and i suspect BOTW will look great in 10 more years when Horizon will show its age by then.

yes it does mean Nintendo games tend to hew away from overt realism, but the end result is great looking visuals.

They've also conditioned their audience to expect quality and having fun...something I really think is lost at MS and Sony, esp the fun part.

Everything has to be "art" now...we have to have all these adult stories, everything has to be the biggest and best you've seen yet, cinematics...blah blah blah...

No...sometimes I just wanna log on with my daughter and fight as Mega Man and the Ice Climbers or race around Rainbow Road.
Right.

I don't think you meant it that way, but most Nintendo AAA games don't feel modestly budgeted to me. They look great and i suspect BOTW will look great in 10 more years when Horizon will show its age by then.

yes it does mean Nintendo games tend to hew away from overt realism, but the end result is great looking visuals.

Right.
Nintendo games look great generally. Yeah unless you're focusing on hyper-realism, you don't need $300m+ to make a great looking game. A stylized art style goes a long way.

While Nintendo games very likely don't cost more than $200 million like the highest end Sony games, their biggest games probably aren't super cheap either. Zelda is essentially their big AAA series that requires a ton of manpower to ship, which started to have five year cycles between 3D entries ever since Skyward Sword. They also explicitly put in more money into graphical flourishes in Super Mario Bros. Wonder, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would also be pretty expensive, especially with licensing fees.

The main difference is that's not all their output and people can accept lower budget games like Paper Mario: The Origami King, or Clubhouse Games, or Super Mario Party, and all that stuff. Those fill the rest of the gaps between tentpole releases.

Also the elephant in the room is that the vast majority of budgets actually come from salaries, and Japanese salaries are proportionally lower than in the West, especially in a place like California where housing costs are through the roof so wages have to keep up.

Relevant

I think the premise of the article is wrong. Sony could absolutely have continued to have all their first party single player titles as PS exclusives, its not like they live or die by selling a few million copies more of God Of War on PC. Its just that Sony executives want that bonus PC revenue as well. Sony first party games are profitable even without PC releases, which shows that the premise of the article is wrong.

The major difference is that Sony executives have taken the view that launching all their games on PC after 2 years will not hurt their console business, while Nintendo have taken the view that PC releases will in the end lead to long term damage to their console business. We will only see in many years which company had the right idea about those kinds of issues.

While Nintendo games very likely don't cost more than $200 million like the highest end Sony games, their biggest games probably aren't super cheap either. Zelda is essentially their big AAA series that requires a ton of manpower to ship, which started to have five year cycles between 3D entries ever since Skyward Sword. They also explicitly put in more money into graphical flourishes in Super Mario Bros. Wonder, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would also be pretty expensive, especially with licensing fees.

The main difference is that's not all their output and people can accept lower budget games like Paper Mario: The Origami King, or Clubhouse Games, or Super Mario Party, and all that stuff. Those fill the rest of the gaps between tentpole releases.

Also the elephant in the room is that the vast majority of budgets actually come from salaries, and Japanese salaries are proportionally lower than in the West, especially in a place like California where housing costs are through the roof so wages have to keep up.
Oh yeah Nintendo's premiere projects (3D Zelda, Smash) are definitely big ptojects. But even their biggest projects aren't approaching Western AAA territory

Western Devs really need to start opening studios in lower COL states. Like not everything needs to be in California, go open up more studios in Chicago and more cities like them.

Yoshi P, the producer for FFXIV and FFXVI, was just asked if we could expect FFXIV on Switch 2. His answer,

My goal, for more than 10 years at this point, is to play FFXIV regardless of device and be able to access the servers to play in the same world.
We would love to have our title (FFXIV) available on Nintendo's platform. But it did take a lot of time (regarding FFXIV on Xbox). We had literally talked for years and it's now finally coming to fruition. Again, we will try our best and continue to work hard at it and continue our efforts. But yeah, eventually, it would be cool to make it a reality one day.

Nintendo should build a walkable urbanist paradise with ample transit in the middle of Wyoming and have the entire population of the town make games for them there

Yoshi P, the producer for FFXIV and FFXVI, was just asked if we could expect FFXIV on Switch 2. His answer,

Square Enix: the best we can do is a cloud version.

pawn-stars.gif

I think the premise of the article is wrong. Sony could absolutely have continued to have all their first party single player titles as PS exclusives, its not like they live or die by selling a few million copies more of God Of War on PC. Its just that Sony executives want that bonus PC revenue as well. Sony first party games are profitable even without PC releases, which shows that the premise of the article is wrong.
Incorrect.

Some of Sony's first parties cannot even guarantee profitability.

And it's not just about your revenue and sales exceeding your investment.

Firstly, you need to exceed the annual deposit interest rate. Otherwise, you might as well save the money directly.

Secondly, you need to bear the cost of the next game in advance for the money of this game, otherwise your development process will be unsustainable.

Incorrect.

Some of Sony's first parties cannot even guarantee profitability.

And it's not just about your revenue and sales exceeding your investment.

Firstly, you need to exceed the annual deposit interest rate. Otherwise, you might as well save the money directly.

Secondly, you need to bear the cost of the next game in advance for the money of this game, otherwise your development process will be unsustainable.
There’s also music licensing and marketing cost that also affected.

Since Spider-Man 2 had a 300M budget, I don’t know if it includes marketing budget as well.

Since the game needed about 7.2M to be profitable and has sold total of 12M+ copies, meanwhile Luigi Mansion Sold 14M and was cheaper to produce and had less marketing.

I think this is one of the big reasons why I love Nintendo, I feel like the real world is too grey, and now video games are becoming too grey too. Nintendo is a vestige in all that, color! Imagine, color in video games.

My hope for the Switch 2 is for the colorfulness to continue- and I think it will. The ultimate question is which games are launching with this thing? I think a 3D Mario is fairly likely, but I won't lie when I say I hope there is more than one game I want to get at launch!!

Will we hear any third party games being announced for the Switch successor during summer games fest?

I think we will, but they more than likely won't have the Switch logo on them. When I say that, I more so mean games that will inevitably come to the Switch 2 either on launch or launch at a later date, similar to things like The Witcher III miracle port. I actually remember seeing Unravel Two for the first time and saying it was practically made for the Switch (I mean look at the colors- they were the same as the joycons!), yet, even that game didn't have the Switch logo at initial reveal- even though it launched on Switch less than a year post-release.

I would take that answer as it being no use to port it to Switch 2. I mean from that wording it looks like a Switch 2 port of the game could take years and that means the game itself may no longer be that relevant by then. So Yoshi P is the first person to confirm a game as not coming to Switch 2.

For the common issue of rising costs in game development.

Nintendo and other companies have taken different approaches to respond.

SONY, XBOX, and Square Enix's strategy is to promote it to more platforms, attract more users, and generate additional revenue and profits in the short term. However, in the long run, I believe the ultimate result will only be more internal competition. The outstanding players will gain a larger share, while the other games will have fewer.

Among them, Capcom is an exception. In my opinion, their approach is to control the cost of the game and reduce the content and graphics, which may lead to their game gradually losing its appeal to core users.

Nintendo's approach is to earn greater profits in each copy, not by raising prices, but by utilizing IP through movies, parks, and peripherals. However, at present, it is only in the initial stage, and maintaining the current momentum will be a major challenge.

Not a lot of smoke for Switch/Switch 2 support from Microsoft:

Yeah, Microsoft multiplatform strategy seems mostly about putting games on PS5. I think they see the Playstation ecosystem more similar in terms of what genres of games are most popular on that ecosystem, while they probably think Switch is only Nintendo stuff, indies and minecraft. And we can rule out that they are making stuff for Switch 2 because Tom Warren would hear about that just like he hears about the stuff they will put on PS5.

Yeah, Microsoft multiplatform strategy seems mostly about putting games on PS5. I think they see the Playstation ecosystem more similar in terms of what genres of games are most popular on that ecosystem, while they probably think Switch is only Nintendo stuff, indies and minecraft. And we can rule out that they are making stuff for Switch 2 because Tom Warren would hear about that just like he hears about the stuff they will put on PS5.
That's a lot of logical leaps here with a large serving of the usual Nintendo victim complex/concern trolling. HiFiRush rumor intially started as it coming to Switch. It's still not on Switch.
It probably will be on Switch eventually, but that clearly came to two platforms. Grounded came out firston Switch and we didn't hear anything about that initially in the rumors.

That's a lot of logical leaps here with a large serving of the usual Nintendo victim complex/concern trolling. HiFiRush rumor intially started as it coming to Switch. It's still not on Switch.
It probably will be on Switch eventually, but that clearly came to two platforms. Grounded came out firston Switch and we didn't hear anything about that initially in the rumors.
"Game Industries hate Nintendo and nvidia treat Nintendo as nothing", which have no evidence and business logic.

And we can rule out that they are making stuff for Switch 2 because Tom Warren would hear about that just like he hears about the stuff they will put on PS5.
or maybe it's because PS5 is out and a known entity to every developer while Drake itself and release plans is still in the hands of very few

If Microsoft troubled themselves to put Grounded and Pentiment on Switch, they will have more games for Switch 2. It's practically guaranteed. PS5 is also an established console that has been on the market for over 3 1/2 years. The only official mention of the Switch successor came from Furukawa on May 7th and that was an announcement of a future announcement. Yes, leaks will happen before any official unveiling, but a Halo CE remaster not being hinted at for Switch 2, at this particular moment, doesn't mean it won't happen. Even if it never happens, Microsoft will be there for Switch 2 regardless.

or maybe it's because PS5 is out and a known entity to every developer while Drake itself and release plans is still in the hands of very few
But isn't all these project latitude leaks coming from inside Microsoft? So Microsoft should know if they are making ports to Switch 2 or not. If they know that they are working on porting Doom to PS5 they would know if they are working on porting next Doom to Switch 2 as well. Or Nintendo may not even have given Microsoft a dev kit as of yet, so Microsoft has not begun working on Switch 2 ports.

But isn't all these project latitude leaks coming from inside Microsoft? So Microsoft should know if they are making ports to Switch 2 or not. If they know that they are working on porting Doom to PS5 they would know if they are working on porting next Doom to Switch 2 as well. Or Nintendo may not even have given Microsoft a dev kit as of yet, so Microsoft has not begun working on Switch 2 ports.
I would bet a lot of money that Microsoft has dev kits for Switch 2.

they are coming from people who know about Project Latitude but not Drake. that's about as much as we can conclude from this. absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and all that. we're still in the phase where only a handful of people in any company would know about Drake. the people making the game proper doesn't need to know about the system, just hit the targets, and you'll be notified if you need to change something. what is it for? that's above your pay grade

Dont know if this is how secretive the company can be but given that the system has not been announced, isnt there is a chance that if Warren said something about the switch 2 (system or dev kits), microsoft or nintendo would know his sources. Specially if those kits are not with the whole company?

I want a sequel to the Game Builder Garage.
I looked up some videos of creations and I was kinda blown away, I envisioned it as a far more limited creation engine.

I think it's kind of limited by its price point. I think it would be a good idea to bundle a free version with NSO, or at least NSO Expansion Pack that lets you play games, and then the full $30 version lets you build and upload software.

Makes sense, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that Nintendo doesn't fall into the same black hole of cost and development time that the big game developers in the industry are experiencing today as they move into their next leap.
I don’t think Nintendo will put all their eggs in the AAA industry basket but their big games will look the part for sure with the new Switch. They will still make smaller games. Them arriving late to the party also allow technologies to mature as well as various techniques that would smooth out the developmental pipeline.

Nintendo big first party games sell way more than Sony’s. The increased budget would be justified unlike Sony’s offerings. Sales of their games are down across the board that’s why they're looking for other revenue sources (live services, PC versions, etc). The PS5 audience can’t support its own software development. Their games cost more to make and their sales are lower. PS5 owners are not buying PS5 games. Nintendo does not have this problem.

I don’t think Nintendo will put all their eggs in the AAA industry basket but their big games will look the part for sure with the new Switch. They will still make smaller games. Them arriving late to the party also allow technologies to mature as well as various techniques that would smooth out the developmental pipeline.

Nintendo big first party games sell way more than Sony’s. The increased budget would be justified unlike Sony’s offerings. Sales of their games are down across the board that’s why they're looking for other revenue sources (live services, PC versions, etc). The PS5 audience can’t support its own software development. Their games cost more to make and their sales are lower. PS5 owners are not buying PS5 games. Nintendo does not have this problem.
I don't know how to define "late", considering that all of Nintendo's rendering and lighting technologies are advanced for the same generation of consoles (with the exception of the wii) except for the fact that they don't make games using the standards of realistic visuals, which is why I have a problem with your statement that Nintendo will "care aboutThis is why I have doubts about your statement that Nintendo will "care" about the number of polygons and geometry, in fact I agree that Nintendo will use the graphical features of the new hardware to simplify the process and time cost of obtaining high fidelity graphics but there is no evidence to suggest that they will invest too much time in this, they will develop a next gen general purpose engine in house but they will not allow developers to spend any more time on graphics, becauseIt makes no sense.

It should be noted that the current plight of AAA games in general is precisely the fact that development cycles have been lengthening as a result of graphical technical stacking, and while Furukawa does state the complexity of development, I hope that he keeps in mind Yokoi Gunpei's warnings from the 90's, which were similarly expressed by Satoru Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto.

Last edited:
I don't know how to define "late", considering that all of Nintendo's rendering and lighting technologies are advanced for the same generation of consoles (with the exception of the wii) except for the fact that they don't make games using the standards of realistic visuals, which is why I have a problem with your statement that Nintendo will "care aboutThis is why I have doubts about your statement that Nintendo will "care" about the number of polygons and geometry, in fact I agree that Nintendo will use the graphical features of the new hardware to simplify the process and time cost of obtaining high fidelity graphics but there is no evidence to suggest that they will invest too much time in this, they will develop a next gen general purpose engine in house but they will not allow developers to spend any more time on graphics, becauseIt makes no sense.

It should be noted that the current plight of AAA games in general is precisely the fact that development cycles have been lengthening as a result of graphical technical stacking, and while Furukawa does state the complexity of development, I hope that he keeps in mind Yokoi Gunpei's warnings from the 90's, which were similarly expressed by Satoru Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto.
Nintendo does care about geometry. It's a fallacy to think that stylized is equivalent to spartan. You can even see it in that coin image where they used spare triangles to smooth out the silhouette of the coin.

All the normal maps, displacement maps, parallax maps, etc is to create the illusion of geometry that they can't actually put in. But they still have to make those high polygon models to get there. With better hardware and new paradigms, they can spend less time on the retopology and let the engine/hardware handle automatic lod-ing. And overall time saver.

The prolonged development cycle comes from publishers using those time savings to fit more things into a game. More animation to be done, more bespoke assets, longer sequences, bigger set pieces, etc

Nintendo should probably announce the Switch 2 so devs can announce games for it.

Other than Monster Hunter Wilds, basically everything console relevant announced recently has been announced for Switch as well though so idk.

Back
Top Bottom