• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

Which franchise/series will take the longest to get a new entry on Switch 2?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario 2D

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Donkey Kong (either 2D or 3D)

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Super Smash Bros

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Splatoon

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Pikmin

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • 3D Zelda

Votes: 49 57.0%

• Total voters
Every generation Nintendo has brought back an old IP. I think we can all agree on this.

I think for this gen Wario Land and Wave Race have the highest chance of returning.
I don't think Wave Race would sell today unless it was a $20 Eshop game. Same with most of the other "extreme sports" games Nintendo used to make.

If we get any kind of water-sport game it'll probably be in the form of a Wii Sports Resort successor/remake (or maybe I'm doing my own kind of wishful thinking lol).

Okay. Dumb question that I feel more comfortable asking here because it's probably been answered a million times in the hardware thread. We're looking at Xbox One X/PS4 Pro levels of power with this system, right? And then add in DLSS for 4K visuals?

Coming from the sloooow Wii U menus, I liked the simpler and extremely fast UI of Switch. But after 7 years, I find it too boring and limited. I expect a great improve for Switch 2, while mantaining the responsivess as the priority.

Okay. Dumb question that I feel more comfortable asking here because it's probably been answered a million times in the hardware thread. We're looking at Xbox One X/PS4 Pro levels of power with this system, right? And then add in DLSS for 4K visuals?
yea something like that. and "up to 4K" is gonna be important

I don't think Wave Race would sell today unless it was a $20 Eshop game. Same with most of the other "extreme sports" games Nintendo used to make.

If we get any kind of water-sport game it'll probably be in the form of a Wii Sports Resort successor/remake (or maybe I'm doing my own kind of wishful thinking lol).

Nintendo Super Sports

4 races/tracks on a jet ski (Wave Race)
4 races/tracks on a snowboard (1080)
4 races/tracks on a dirt bike (Excitebike)

Hell yea to both of those.
I think they could get away with a $40 Wave Race especially if people compare it to the $70 games. And maybe does a pack in with it at launch to show off the 4K60 water with a new gimmick from the system.

For next gen games, they'll probably use freed up ram and CPU thanks to DLSS to run the game at acceptable performance. I don't think there will be enough juice left to take the resolution up to 4K.

But I think the first party games will all be at 4K when docked, 60 fps on handheld. There's quite a difference between 4k and 720p so on handheld they're gonna be quite smooth. Plus, I really don't think, aside from few select games (Zelda, Xeno, Pikmin etc), Nintendo will make anything that aims PS4 Pro level hardware, let alone PS5.

The CPU will most likely be much stronger than those systems and the GPU will be a lot weaker with much slower RAM.

the economics of game development is gonna force a lot of devs to release games on the switch 2 whether they like it or not. games are out here taking a decade to come out and costing an arm, leg and both of your kidneys to launch on only three platforms one of which is xbox. which is why you have this industry trying to make triple AAA iphone games a thing. you'll still have your atluses skipping it but it's just too expensive and risky to behave like that anymore.

Nah, the economics of developing is just going to result in fewer AAA releases and more reliance on known IP. That’s why there’s so many Star Wars and Marvel games in development.

I think the Switch 2 is going to get even better third party support than the current console but I don’t think it’ll be as good as some expect/hope. I’m not holding my breath for stuff like Persona 3 Reload or Metaphor, let alone GTAVI or Star Wars Outlaws.

Nah, the economics of developing is just going to result in fewer AAA releases and more reliance on known IP. That’s why there’s so many Star Wars and Marvel games in development.

I think the Switch 2 is going to get even better third party support than the current console but I don’t think it’ll be as good as some expect/hope. I’m not holding my breath for stuff like Persona 3 Reload or Metaphor, let alone GTAVI or Star Wars Outlaws.

The economics of licensed games are pretty dismal now that we know what Disney charges. Assuming a pretty modest $200m budget for Avatar the game, it probably would need to sell like 10m copies to break even due to how much of a cut Disney gets. Avatar looks very likely to lose money and it's a much bigger IP than stuff like Blade and Indiana Jones.

This is too pessimistic, games that are already on ps4 like Persona 3 Reloaded will be ported to the successor. If you want to be skeptical about games made only for ps5/xbx/top end pcs, go ahead.

This is too pessimistic, games that are already on ps4 like Persona 3 Reloaded will be ported to the successor. If you want to be skeptical about games made only for ps5/xbx/top end pcs, go ahead.

I’d argue it’s realistic. There’s no guarantee Persona 3 Reload will be on Switch 2. There‘s not even a guarantee of Visions of Mana or Dragon Quest XII.

I’d argue it’s realistic. There’s no guarantee Persona 3 Reload will be on Switch 2. There‘s not even a guarantee of Visions of Mana or Dragon Quest XII.
All the prior versions of those games came to Switch, the idea that the sequels aren't likely to come to the successor is nonsense.

Sorry, BassForever is right, this is very pessimistic and pretty much traditional "doom scenario" for a Nintendo console. How could it have better third party support without Persona? Not only I expect Persona 3 Reload on the successor, I also expect it on the regular Switch. As a cross gen title. Sega can be dummy sometimes but never that level.

If there's no guarantee in getting even Mana and DQ games on the system, Nintendo should never bother with having their own hardware at all. Thanks to third party Switch broke sales records, we know what happens when a system has nothing but high quality first party games. Both will be on the successor with Mana having big chance of being on Switch as well.

Sure, Mana and DQ could skip Switch. But that'd be a bigger loss for Square than for Nintendo, imho. I just don't think they'd literally throw money away.

This feels like "Persona 5 will never come to Switch!" all over again. I actually think it'll come to Switch 1, but it's a late port because Atlus wants buyers to double dip.

Wasn't there a DQ game that got both a unique 3DS version and Switch version? I feel like Square wouldn't have done that if the money wasn't there lol
yes. they don't want to do that again because it was a sign of poor planning. Horii wanted an HD DQ and he got it, but SE recognized that it would have historically low sales, so they made a 3DS version. and promised a Switch version but couldn't do it until the base game was done due to lack of bandwidth.

the good thing about Drake is that it most likely builds off the tooling from Switch, so they can immediately start even if they don't have dev kits (they definitely do)

Wasn't there a DQ game that got both a unique 3DS version and Switch version? I feel like Square wouldn't have done that if the money wasn't there lol
Yeah, Dragon Quest 11. In Japan, it launched on PS4 with a bespoke "demake" on 3DS that had a more chibi artstyle as well as the option to play a 2D pixel version of the whole game; meanwhile the west got the "full" version on PS4 and PC

Then a few years later Switch got its own version, DQ11 S, that was basically the PS4/PC version but also with the 3DS's 2d mode. 11S later came to every the platform

Essentially, Square Enix bent over backwards twice to make sure the newest Dragon Quest was playable on whatever handheld Nintendo had at the time. IMO anyone who doesn't think a Switch 2 version of DQ12 is a safe bet is being pessimistically contrarian

I don't think companies can even AFFORD to not get their games on every platform with the astronomically high dev costs. A good example is all the stuff still coming to PS4 or/and Xbox One. Third party exclusives (barring the moneyhatted variety and more often than not their only timed) are almost extinct. Microsoft is sort of getting around this by pulling a Disney and buying up large publishers but the point still stands. This isn't the PS2 or XB360 eras anymore. There will be quite a few PS5/X series/PC/NS2 games in the future.

Well, hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm going to stick with my mindset of nothing expecting much and not being disappointed. I do think Dragon Quest XII and Visions of Mana will be on Switch 2 but I'm still down on Persona 3 Reload and Metaphor.

One game I'd like to see on the Switch 2 is some kind of "Ultimate" edition of Fate/Samurai Remnant. I've enjoyed what little I've played on Switch but it's pretty rough performance-wise. Seems like porting the PS4 version over with all the DLC would be some easy money around launch.

Well, hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm going to stick with my mindset of nothing expecting much and not being disappointed. I do think Dragon Quest XII and Visions of Mana will be on Switch 2 but I'm still down on Persona 3 Reload and Metaphor.

One game I'd like to see on the Switch 2 is some kind of "Ultimate" edition of Fate/Samurai Remnant. I've enjoyed what little I've played on Switch but it's pretty rough performance-wise. Seems like porting the PS4 version over with all the DLC would be some easy money around launch.
Out of curiosity, why? Every other Atlus game has been ported to Switch. Even games that were previously exclusive.

Out of curiosity, why? Every other Atlus game has been ported to Switch. Even games that were previously exclusive.

Just a gut feeling really, just vibes. Like I said, hopefully I'm wrong. I feel like if Persona 3 Reload was coming it would've been announced for the current Switch at the same time as the other versions.

Just a gut feeling really, just vibes. Like I said, hopefully I'm wrong. I feel like if Persona 3 Reload was coming it would've been announced for the current Switch at the same time as the other versions.
It's going to be a late port. We see other companies do this all of the time. They didn't announce it because it's not coming alongside the other versions. Hell, it might just come to Switch 2 late and that's why they didn't announce it (you can't announce a game for a console that doesn't officially exist yet).

It's going to be a late port. We see other companies do this all of the time. They didn't announce it because it's not coming alongside the other versions. Hell, it might just come to Switch 2 late and that's why they didn't announce it (you can't announce a game for a console that doesn't officially exist yet).

I think if they didn't announce it for Switch at the same time as PlayStation, Xbox, and PC then it's just not coming to that platform. Maybe it is being held back for the Switch 2. Personally, if I had to choose between Switch now or Switch 2 later I'd go with the latter. Persona 5 Royal is blurry as hell on Switch.

I think that's obviously the case with Visions of Mana. While again I don't think it's a 100% lock releasing a Mana game NOT on a Nintendo platform would be foolish. It would easily sell more on Switch 2 than Xbox and PC combined.

I think if they didn't announce it for Switch at the same time as PlayStation, Xbox, and PC then it's just not coming to that platform. Maybe it is being held back for the Switch 2. Personally, if I had to choose between Switch now or Switch 2 later I'd go with the latter. Persona 5 Royal is blurry as hell on Switch.

I think that's obviously the case with Visions of Mana. While again I don't think it's a 100% lock releasing a Mana game NOT on a Nintendo platform would be foolish. It would easily sell more on Switch 2 than Xbox and PC combined.
Uhh, did we play the same Persona 5? It's one of the best looking games on the platform!

okay but i don't see why more star wars and marvel games somehow invalidate the fact that games are getting more expensive and that companies are trying to release wider to recoup costs

Thinking Star Wars Outlaws won't come is a stretch tbh

Thinking Atlus games won't come? Completely and utterly out of touch with reality. They're on fucking Xbox, a system where JRPGs don't sell. They're coming to the system where JRPGs are an extremely strong seller lol

World of Goo 2 has a good chance to appear on Switch 2, and I'd be surprised if the new Daemon X Machina: Titanic Scion would skip Switch 2, given the first one apparently did well on Switch and they haven't announced a platform yet. Rune Factory 6 probably too.
Metaphor ReFantazio is coming to PS4, so I’d be surprised if it wasn’t eventually ported along with P3R.

Dragon Quest 3 Remake will almost certainly launch on original Switch as well, but unless it shows up in a Direct next month that’s a good bet for cross-gen.
Dragons Dogma 2??
I would add Street Fighter 6

There is also Far Cry 7. If one massive open world using snowdrop engine like FC7 is heading to Switch 2 day 1, it would be logical that others like Star Wars, Avatar and The Division get ported.

Wouldn’t surpise me Assasins Creed Red also gets a Switch 2 version.

Of course COD 2024 (iirc its Black Ops 6).

We can infinitely speculate to be honest, any third party title can be in development for Switch 2.
there's no way Baldur's Gate III doesn't make it.
Alright

updated secret Switch 2 games:
  • Monster Hunter Wilds
  • Visions of Mana
  • Grand Theft Auto VI
  • Smite 2
  • Professor Layton and the New World of Steam
  • Star Wars Outlaws
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • Kingdom Hearts 4
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Gothic 1 Remake
  • Remnant 2
  • Titan Quest 2
  • Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
  • Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II
  • John Carpenter's Toxic Commando
  • Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  • Dragon Ball Sparking Zero
  • World of Goo 2
  • Daemon X Machina: Titanic Scion
  • Rune Factory 6
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio
  • Dragon Quest III HD2D Remake
  • Dragon's Dogma II
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Far Cry 7
  • Assassin's Creed Project Red
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops - Gulf War
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Untitled Jet Set Radio project
  • Untitled Crazy Taxi project
  • Untitled Golden Axe project
  • Streets of Rage Revolution
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Topspin 2K25
  • Untitled Sakura Wars project
  • Untitled Sega Evangelion project
  • Untitled Panzer Dragoon project
  • Battlefield Next
Last call

Last edited:
Alright

updated secret Switch 2 games:
  • Monster Hunter Wilds
  • Visions of Mana
  • Grand Theft Auto VI
  • Smite 2
  • Professor Layton and the New World of Steam
  • Star Wars Outlaws
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • Kingdom Hearts 4
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Gothic 1 Remake
  • Remnant 2
  • Titan Quest 2
  • Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
  • Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II
  • John Carpenter's Toxic Commando
  • Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  • Dragon Ball Sparking Zero
  • World of Goo 2
  • Daemon X Machina: Titanic Scion
  • Rune Factory 6
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio
  • Dragon Quest III HD2D Remake
  • Dragon's Dogma II
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Far Cry 7
  • Assassin's Creed Project Red
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops - Gulf War
  • Baldur's Gate III
Last call
Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves.

I can't imagine they'll drop a new game right before a system launch when they'll want lots of software for launch year, even taking bc into account.
I didn't think IntSys would do so for the Switch but then they announced SoV which released after the Switch did. It's also not like IntSys hadn't done this before - Thracia 776 was apparently released on the SNES after the Nintendo 64 had been released for a few years. Neither of those are BC.

Nintendo isn't going to leave their current cash cow out to die, which means it's going to need cross-gen games. A Genealogy remake would allow for that to happen. All systems do a variation of this, so I can't see why Nintendo wouldn't do that.

Metroid Prime 3 is so good they're releasing it thrice in 2024 (February, July, and December).

Donkey Kong, being released twice (July & September) and Metroid Prime 2 as well (February, July) is envious of Metroid Prime 3's success.
Ha! I didn't catch the December Metroid 3, so thanks for point that out!
As you could probably tell, I meant Metroid 2/3 having a shadow-drop in February and a physical release in July.
Donkey Kong is added twice because I don't have a solid idea of which month it'd release, but July and September are my best bets.

Coming from the sloooow Wii U menus, I liked the simpler and extremely fast UI of Switch. But after 7 years, I find it too boring and limited. I expect a great improve for Switch 2, while mantaining the responsivess as the priority.
Same here. I hope its like DS -> DSi transition or even better DS->3DS.

Listening to Rogersbase predictions…I guess every big Nintendo IP is going to come in the first year. Nintendo has to spread their big IPs out. They’re not selling a system for a year or two. The system has to sell for the next 7 years. I think people get so excited and hype discussing the games that they predict everything is coming soon lol

Last edited:
Listening to Rogersbase predictions…I guess every big Nintendo IP is going to come in the first year. Nintendo has to spread their big IPs out. They’re not selling a system for a year or two. The system has to sell for the next 7 years. I think people get so excited and hype discussing the games that they predict everything is coming soon lol
I've been listening to a number of predictions, from outlets to youtubers and they are either ultra optimistic everything will come out day 1 or nothing lol.

Being in the weeds doesn't help either, there are some bad and misinformed takes in a lot of prediction videos (even from outlets) so I've stopped watching them lol.

Do you think we might see a shift in main franchises all getting a sequel before moving on to a new world with the expansion of teams, or we might be looking at multiple new worlds per gen?

Goal: Increase output to 2 major games per major franchise per console.

Skipping Odyssey 2
New Mario Universe then a sequel.

No more BOTW/TOTK
New Zelda Universe then a sequel.

My other guess for the expansion of internal Nintendo is Legacy (2D) Zelda team or Zelda Reimagining Team.
Similar for Mario.

Or maybe Teams focused on franchises that are neglected. It sounds like the expansion is quite significant.

If there is actual info on this feel free to enlighten me. Just random guessing.

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if Atlus re-releases an enhanced version of the P3 remake. Especially if it features the FeMC route. That version could very well come for the Switch 2.

As for P6, that’s a Wild Card, tho if it started development on the PS4, it’s possible we could see it on Switch

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if Atlus re-releases an enhanced version of the P3 remake. Especially if it features the FeMC route. That version could very well come for the Switch 2.

As for P6, that’s a Wild Card, tho if it started development on the PS4, it’s possible we could see it on Switch
I really doubt p6 started development on the ps4. That is, if development has started.

Even if it did years ago, I still think the target would be ps5/series sx.

I really doubt p6 started development on the ps4. That is, if development has started.

considering P3R and Metaphor, being on PS4 still wouldn't be surprising. Atlus doesn't push boundaries to mandate the move to higher systems. hell, their most technically impressive title is a Switch game

Haaaaave you met Atlus?

Sounds a bit lame, but P5 was in development for years and it started on PS3. P6 being on PS4 is very realistic.

I wonder how many of the gajillion games Sega has in development are coming to Switch 2. Shinobi feels like a lock, maybe even for the current Switch. The rumored Comix Zone and Evangelion games seem like safe bets too.

I wonder how many of the gajillion games Sega has in development are coming to Switch 2. Shinobi feels like a lock, maybe even for the current Switch. The rumored Comix Zone and Evangelion games seem like safe bets too.
Sega is at a point where they can't hedge any bets, I think. they can't keep being picky when they keep sitting on the line

Back
Top Bottom