• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

Which franchise/series will take the longest to get a new entry on Switch 2?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario 2D

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Donkey Kong (either 2D or 3D)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Super Smash Bros

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Splatoon

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Pikmin

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • 3D Zelda

Votes: 50 56.2%

• Total voters
hot prediction

Switch 2 will get a surprisingly competent FFXIV port that will become a lot of people’s preferred way to play

hot prediction

Switch 2 will get a surprisingly competent FFXIV port that will become a lot of people’s preferred way to play
Is it a hot prediction? Not saying its a 100% sure to happen, but that super reasonable.

LAD games thought, that's a hot prediction lol.

I don't think Wave Race would sell today unless it was a $20 Eshop game. Same with most of the other "extreme sports" games Nintendo used to make.

If we get any kind of water-sport game it'll probably be in the form of a Wii Sports Resort successor/remake (or maybe I'm doing my own kind of wishful thinking lol).
I’d disagree. One, never underestimate Nintendo’s ability to stretch a fun core gameplay loop into a full retail title, no matter how limited. Two, never underestimate what Nintendo will sell in a box. If it’ll sell to families who haven’t mastered the eShop, they’ll sell it. Three, it feels ideal as an early-console LOOK HOW PRETTY THIS IS game as per GameCube.

If the system’s power is a big selling point, I think Wave Race as an early doors simple filler new game is a decent shout. F-Zero is in a similar boat (Or more to the point jet ski)

I wonder how many of the gajillion games Sega has in development are coming to Switch 2. Shinobi feels like a lock, maybe even for the current Switch. The rumored Comix Zone and Evangelion games seem like safe bets too.
Monkey Ball should be an even more secure lock. Every handheld from GBA onward had one Super Monkey Ball game at launch, save for Switch. The successor will correct Switch's wrong by having a true next gen simian rolling simulator. It was a part of the second batch of trademark renewals.

I have very low expectations for a modern Wave Race game at $60. an extreme sports game and one that's extremely limited in appeal at that. no amount of impressive water physics is gonna push that particularly far

I have very low expectations for a modern Wave Race game at $60. an extreme sports game and one that's extremely limited in appeal at that. no amount of impressive water physics is gonna push that particularly far
Nowadays open world racing games get more attraction. But turning Waverace into a SSX/Steep like open world racer should be too hard. Have an island, but some gulfs in it, cover it with rivers and creeks and stuff, and top it off with some dangerous waterfalls. Some races should be like using a jetski in a strong kayaking stream. GTA5 was basically like that but with canals instead of rivers. No locked path, game should allow you to get lost in the nature.

Nowadays open world racing games get more attraction. But turning Waverace into a SSX/Steep like open world racer should be too hard. Have an island, but some gulfs in it, cover it with rivers and creeks and stuff, and top it off with some dangerous waterfalls. Some races should be like using a jetski in a strong kayaking stream. GTA5 was basically like that but with canals instead of rivers. No locked path, game should allow you to get lost in the nature.
for that reason, I think combining Excitebike, 1080, and Wave Race into Nintendo Switch Extreme Sports would make the most sense

for that reason, I think combining Excitebike, 1080, and Wave Race into Nintendo Switch Extreme Sports would make the most sense
You're onto something... But don't forget to add Excite Truck to that. Whole open world island. Beaches, rivers, desert and a snowy mountain... Jump on/jump off any vehicle you want and race in tracks without any borders...

I’m really keen for the next Kirby game on switch 2. Just imagining forgotten land but larger In scope makes me giddy

Regarding P6, streets say it's a PS5 timed exclusive.

It'll probably come to Switch 2 when that ends, it likely won't be a demanding game

I mean I don't know the difference between CPU and GPU.
CPU generally runs the game logic. Keeps track of the world, NPCs, their AI, and interactions. More CPU can mean more complicated worlds, or set a higher limit on frame rate since it can calculate more in-between steps of the state the world and its inhabitants each second. GPU then represents that world with graphics. More resources needed for higher detail models, higher resolution, complicated lighting, various other things to present an image as intended.

Next Switch should absolutely outclass any PS4/Xbone models in CPU capability. GPU will probably be less capable than Pro or One X models in some apples-to-apples ways, but it has additional oranges (like DLSS) that should help compensate for that and realistically be able to produce better-looking results when taken advantage of.

I hope the next Fire Emblem game follows Three Houses. That’s what brought me into Fire Emblem. The 3 schools was great. I love the monastery and camaraderie. I love the setting and they can really improve on it. The mini games can be better.

Chances are less than zero but one game that would make a nice launch title would be a "complete" edition of Marvel's Midnight Suns. It was canceled for the current Switch and didn't sell super well on the other platforms but I think the combination of being there at launch and being on a handheld would move some units.

I hope the next Fire Emblem game follows Three Houses. That’s what brought me into Fire Emblem. The 3 schools was great. I love the monastery and camaraderie. I love the setting and they can really improve on it. The mini games can be better.
fire emblem: projenitor god's revenge

I wish the same, for the same reasons as you. I wonder if the remake of fire emblem 4 exists or if the launch of the switch 2 will be accompanied by a new episode.

I have a friend that told me yesterday that I was way too optimistic when comes to some 3rd Party support on Switch 2, especially regarding to Capcom;

I told they I'd expect all the most recent Resident Evil games (RE7, RE8, RE2R, RE3R and RE4R), Street Fighter 6 and Devil May Cry V to come over..

I am not crazy to think this way, right? Of course, they wouldn't dump them all in a single blow, but I certainly expect them to all be ported eventually.

I have a friend that told me yesterday that I was way too optimistic when comes to some 3rd Party support on Switch 2, especially regarding to Capcom;

I told they I'd expect all the most recent Resident Evil games (RE7, RE8, RE2R, RE3R and RE4R), Street Fighter 6 and Devil May Cry V to come over..

I am not crazy to think this way, right? Of course, they wouldn't dump them all in a single blow, but I certainly expect them to all be ported eventually.
I mean, there are enough reason to distrust Capcom, like not bringing DMC4 despite the great sales of the trilogy. I don't expect full support from Capcom but there should be few surprises during launch. Dragon's Dogma 2 is the likeliest one followed by RE4. Maybe SF6 down the line but I wouldn't expect any other late port from them, especially the ones they released on cloud on Switch.

The real surprise should be the smaller franchises; Ace Attorney 7 and that much rumored Megaman game.

I'll be honest my excitement of Switch 2 has dropped significantly. Because it's taken so long to release I went and ended up with a ROG Ally. The cheap PC games, free online multiplayer, emulation etc makes it hard to not switch over. While the battery life isn't great I mainly play at home on the couch and in bed. I purchased mine used with warranty transferred over for £450. And I expect a Switch 2 to be £300 if not more. It's going to be hard to not have free online play, free upgrades, mods etc. Having a 1080p 120hz VRR screen is incredible. Even for basic games like Rocket League I can feel and see the difference of 1080p and 100fps VRR. Don't get me wrong I'm still excited for Switch 2 as I've owned every Nintendo console including handhelds save for Wii U. I just love Nonte do exclusives. But I will definitely no longer by any multiplatform games on a Nintendo platform every again.

Capcom's creed has always been "Can it be ported without much problem? Yes? Then port it."

They would port Resident Evil to a smart toaster if it was viable.

Your friend knows stuff? Or this was their opinion?

Your friend knows stuff? Or this was their opinion?
Not that I know; -- They are just not really convinced with the idea that the Switch 2 will keep up with the "industry standards" and that 3rd Party companies will either have years old ports on it, or abandon the system completely because of their hypothetical focus on tailor made PS5/Series content. Without mention, general distrust on publishers behavior due past efforts.

I mean, there are enough reason to distrust Capcom, like not bringing DMC4 despite the great sales of the trilogy. I don't expect full support from Capcom but there should be few surprises during launch. Dragon's Dogma 2 is the likeliest one followed by RE4. Maybe SF6 down the line but I wouldn't expect any other late port from them, especially the ones they released on cloud on Switch.

The real surprise should be the smaller franchises; Ace Attorney 7 and that much rumored Megaman game.
I feel Street Fighter 6 should come very early, if not at the launch window; as the game is still fresh enough and they should have it running as soon as possible to keep up with new updates and characters.

But yeah, I feel they could have done a much better job bringing over at very least their PS3/360 catalog to Switch...

I’d disagree. One, never underestimate Nintendo’s ability to stretch a fun core gameplay loop into a full retail title, no matter how limited. Two, never underestimate what Nintendo will sell in a box. If it’ll sell to families who haven’t mastered the eShop, they’ll sell it. Three, it feels ideal as an early-console LOOK HOW PRETTY THIS IS game as per GameCube.

If the system’s power is a big selling point, I think Wave Race as an early doors simple filler new game is a decent shout. F-Zero is in a similar boat (Or more to the point jet ski)

How well did Wave Race Blue Storm sell?

The only argument for this would be if Capcom says "we already did cloud ports that are playable via bc". Of course that doesn't even cover some of the games you mentioned, but I digress.

Ultimately there is far too much cynicism around the Switch 2. We live in an era of ports, remakes, and remasters out the wazoo. Switch 1 is still getting multiplatform native ports of big games like Terf Legacy, the new Prince of Persia, and Read Dead Redemption. Will everything people are speculating get a port? Of course not. Will some games be viable and not get ported? Naturally. However we shouldn't ignore the obvious effort many companies are doing right now to bring their games to Switch 1, the far more capable Switch 2 will continue that trend.

The only reason to expect a shift in the negative is if you think Nintendo is gonna do something whacky to lose 90% of their audience with Switch 2. At that point Nintendo's viability as a manufacturer of hardware will be the concern, not if Visions of Mana gets a port.

Last edited:
I’d be really surprised if all the RE engine games didn’t show up.

Maybe not RE9 assuming that finally abandons last gen, but we’ll have to see how that goes.

SF5 and USF4 were paid for by Sony

RE2R definitely wouldn't be an easy port to switch
Well, SF4 is on xbox and windows so...
Also, I agree it wouldn't be a straightforward port, but the same could be said about nier automata, doom, the witcher 3... you get the point.

Them releasing a cloud version was just pouring salt in the wound.

Also, I agree it wouldn't be a straightforward port, but the same could be said about nier automata, doom, the witcher 3... you get the point.

Them releasing a cloud version was just pouring salt in the wound.
No one would want an inferior version of SF4. If it's not USF4, then there's no point.

An yes, you could say the same for all of those games. But the difference is, they bothered to do it, Capcom hasn't, which is telling if their strategy

Xbox One got no native port of Ultra Street Fighter IV due to Sony's exclusivity (they got to both SFV and SFIV on that gen); you can only play the Xbox 360 version through backwards compatibility.

Given its recency, I expect RE4R near Switch 2's launch alongside RE2R and 3R. Then in the lead up to RE9 in 2025, it'll get ports of RE7 and Village. RE9 itself being a question mark. With the Revelations ports pushing a million, I doubt Capcom is just going to leave them at Cloud versions. As for SF6, I assume they'll wait until the Super iteration and drop that for everything. I expect DD2 based on Dark Arisen, but I'm not going to hazard any guesses on DMC.

Given its recency, I expect RE4R near Switch 2's launch alongside RE2R and 3R. Then in the lead up to RE9 in 2025, it'll get ports of RE7 and Village. RE9 itself being a question mark. With the Revelations ports pushing a million, I doubt Capcom is just going to leave them at Cloud versions. As for SF6, I assume they'll wait until the Super iteration and drop that for everything. I expect DD2 based on Dark Arisen, but I'm not going to hazard any guesses on DMC.
I think on the contrary. They will quickly drop RE7/Village ports to build up for RE9 (that the big announcement is that it will be day 1 with other versions). Then RE2/3/4R will be released at late 2025.

Agree on SF6, if there are not planning any Super/Ultra versions, it can be a day 1 Switch 2 port, otherwise they may wait for next iteration (mid 2025?).

Also expect DD2 to be ported with its expansion.

I guess regarding DMC franchise, they will quickly port V SE.

If the Switch 2 is revealed in a video just like the first Switch, which game(s) will be revealed for the first time through indirect footage? Think Mario Odyssey in the Switch reveal.
OoT remake, but we won’t know which zelda game and we’ll have multiple threads discussing which zelda game it actually was with extremely detailed proofs.

Well when they revealed the Switch we got to see Odyssey which wasn’t releasing until a year later. It’ll be a little different this time because a year later will most likely mean until spring 2025, which I do think they will show their hand that far away. I have Mario Kart coming H1 2025 and 3D Mario as a launch game.

I think on the contrary. They will quickly drop RE7/Village ports to build up for RE9 (that the big announcement is that it will be day 1 with other versions). Then RE2/3/4R will be released at late 2025.

Agree on SF6, if there are not planning any Super/Ultra versions, it can be a day 1 Switch 2 port, otherwise they may wait for next iteration (mid 2025?).

Also expect DD2 to be ported with its expansion.

I'm assuming RE9 is a late 2025 title. With Monster Hunter Wilds already announced for 2025, I bet it gets the usual Jan - Mar slot.

That said, I think there's a lot of flexibility to the RE releases. Capcom has almost certainly been in the loop for a long time and they didn't have an issue dropping 0, 1, 4, 5 and 6 in the same calendar year.

They didn't bother with DMC4 and DmC on Switch, I don't think DMC5 quick port on the successor is very likely. But... Switch could get DMC6 day and date with other platforms. Day and date releases should fare much better on the successor sales wise.
If the Switch 2 is revealed in a video just like the first Switch, which game(s) will be revealed for the first time through indirect footage? Think Mario Odyssey in the Switch reveal.
Mario 3D
Mario Kart 9
Monolith new IP
Kirby 3D
Elden Ring
Star Wars Outlaws
Tekken 8
aaaand... GTA6

Back
Top Bottom