• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

Which franchise/series will take the longest to get a new entry on Switch 2?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario 2D

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Donkey Kong (either 2D or 3D)

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Super Smash Bros

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Splatoon

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Pikmin

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • 3D Zelda

Votes: 50 56.8%

• Total voters
The thought just came to me that maybe they'll reveal the Switch 2 during the Superbowl.
It’s a solid shout, but a very American idea for a Japanese company. They’ll want a global reveal, and have less expensive means to do that better on their own terms.

How about Nintendo doesn’t care about the Super Bowl, the Olympics or any other sport enough to reveal their next generation system?

If I’m Nintendo I want one early title that shows off 4K60 to its fullest. Wave Race just feels like that title to do it with just like you’ll see Forza for Xbox. It would be a great time to bring the series back and Takahashi who developed Wave Race 64 is in charge.

If I’m Nintendo I want one early title that shows off 4K60 to its fullest. Wave Race just feels like that title to do it with just like you’ll see Forza for Xbox. It would be a great time to bring the series back and Takahashi who developed Wave Race 64 is in charge.
Thats why they are partnering with Bandai-Namco to bring Ridge Racer 8 at Switch 2 launch date.

Thats why they are partnering with Bandai-Namco to bring Ridge Racer 8 at Switch 2 launch date.
I hope they have much stronger partnership with Namco this time around. Ridge Racer is not enough, we need Ace Combat and Tekken too. Both franchises are the last remaining series in their genre. Only Namco cover them on the successor.

Also Xenosaga trilogy on Switch and the successor through BC.

Yes. Still don’t think that means Wave Race can’t come just because a partner is bringing a different kind of racing game.
Yeah, both can happen in a timeframe less than a year though don’t think they will be announced in the same event. Or maybe yes; who knows.

I hope they have much stronger partnership with Namco this time around. Ridge Racer is not enough, we need Ace Combat and Tekken too. Both franchises are the last remaining series in their genre. Only Namco cover them on the successor.

Also Xenosaga trilogy on Switch and the successor through BC.
Watch out Switch SW presentation announcing both Ridge Racer 8 and Tekken 8 coming in the launch window. Bandai-Namco internal studios redemption arc.

Watch out Switch SW presentation announcing both Ridge Racer 8 and Tekken 8 coming in the launch window. Bandai-Namco internal studios redemption arc.
Then it's gonna be the Tournament Arc where Namco will face competition from Sega, where they'll introduce their own series to the successor in those genres: Outrun, After Burner and Virtua Fighter. Didn't they refresh the trademark of After Burner recently?

New 3D games at 4K60?

giphy.gif

Maybe a 4K60 port of Blue Storm…!

Guys, games will look great but don’t set yourself up for a fall.

I don't know anything about tech and I haven't been following any leaks, but I get really annoyed when I hear people say "Switch 2 will probably be on par with the PS4".

Really? You think it will be on par with 11-year-old hardware? If that's the case then we're in trouble.

I don't know anything about tech and I haven't been following any leaks, but I get really annoyed when I hear people say "Switch 2 will probably be on par with the PS4".

Really? You think it will be on par with 11-year-old hardware? If that's the case then we're in trouble.
the general belief is that it will be on par with Series S. People often forget that this thing will essentially be a tablet, needing to be powered by a battery.

From what I've read in the hardware thread, it's basically a PS4 in terms of raw processing power but with vastly improved technology, making it more on par with the Series S. But yeah you do have to consider that all the stuff still needs to fit into the form factor of the Switch with battery life of above an hour.

To clarify my previous post, I was referring to people who said Switch 2 games will be of the same graphical level as PS4 games, which I highly doubt will be the case. I think we can expect them to look more proficient than that.

To clarify my previous post, I was referring to people who said Switch 2 games will be of the same graphical level as PS4 games, which I highly doubt will be the case. I think we can expect them to look more proficient than that.
Definitely. We've all seen what they're able to do with hardware around PS360 level, I can't even begin to imagine what they'd be able to do with stuff that's almost on par with the current generation 🤤

Switch, at least to myself and probably plenty of other consumers, is closer to PS3 than PS4. Likewise without knowing much about specifics, assuming the next system is closer to PS4 than PS5 seems pretty safe, and I’m not sure why we’re in trouble.

We expect more due to the feature set, but the base product is still a handheld. When people say PS4, I have to assume they mean handheld. If people say the Deck is like a PS4, it doesn’t feel off base. It’s assuredly playing more modern games than PS4 tho. I guess I’m just not fussed.

June 11th 9am pst
Switch 2 Anouncment

September/October Release
3D Mario Launch
December Mario Kart 9+Friends

All big Japanese 3rd party cross gen games at launch I.e Elden Ring, Re8, SF6 ect.

I’m very confident in all of the above but I think there’s a 50/50 chance of an X Port coming out in the launch window.

If Prime 4 is a no show in the February direct then I can see that releasing in November as Switch 2 exclusive.

the general belief is that it will be on par with Series S. People often forget that this thing will essentially be a tablet, needing to be powered by a battery.
Series S is more than likely off the table. that's an 80W box in comparison to a 20W (at best) tablet

In trouble how exactly? The Switch is a toaster compared to modern consoles. That is a pretty appropriate upgrade.

Not only a PS4 Pro level hardware would have less trouble getting downports from PS5 generation, DLSS will make things even easier. Not a single worry there.

Back in la good ol days, ye old timmers yused to buckle down if aur pro ducks were revaled aerly.

kranky-kong.gif

C'mon Nintendo, release the Switch 2 tomrow just too spite dose pecky leekers!

You may need to file chaple 11 a few times too recover, but ets not as bad after la fifth tim.

Comparing Switch 2 hardware in handheld to a base PS4 is understandable because in GPU raw power it will probably be close. The thing is that there is so many BUT, that have already been discussed many times, that the comparaison becomes not so useful. It will be close to a PS4 but with:

• Much better CPU.
  • Between 50% and 100% more RAM (although with less bandwitch).
  • High speed memory closer to the 9th gen SSDs than to the 8th hard drives.
  • Modern GPU architecture with access to many tools that weren't possible in the previous gen, such as mesh shaders.
  • RT Cores for raytracing.
  • Tensor Cores and compatibility with DLSS.

So, in the end, it is comparable to a base PS4 in a meaningful way?I don't think so. Just DLSS alone is already a big deal.

In trouble how exactly? The Switch is a toaster compared to modern consoles. That is a pretty appropriate upgrade.
PS5 is the current/modern console. PS4 isn't.

Joe is saying he hope Switch 2 doesn't end up being underpowered or merely on par compared to PS4 (it won't).

I admit I didn't articulate it very clearly. What I meant was that I think some people really underestimate Nintendo and assume they are going to have severely outdated hardware out of the box when I don't think they will at all. Expecting it to only be, at the most, base PS4 quality graphics and performance just seems really pessimistic to me.

Also, since I mostly play Switch docked, I wasn't even thinking about handheld mode. I was just thinking docked being launch PS4 quality and thinking that's really underestimating things.

Last edited:
Comparing Switch 2 hardware in handheld to a base PS4 is understandable because in GPU raw power it will probably be close. The thing is that there is so many BUT, that have already been discussed many times, that the comparaison becomes not so useful. It will be close to a PS4 but with:

• Much better CPU.
  • Between 50% and 100% more RAM (although with less bandwitch).
  • High speed memory closer to the 9th gen SSDs than to the 8th hard drives.
  • Modern GPU architecture with access to many tools that weren't possible in the previous gen, such as mesh shaders.
  • RT Cores for raytracing.
  • Tensor Cores and compatibility with DLSS.

So, in the end, it is comparable to a base PS4 in a meaningful way?I don't think so. Just DLSS alone is already a big deal.

UFS 3.1 internal storage with mandatory installs would pretty much make the Switch 2 equivalent to the next gen consoles in terms of storage speed, but it’s very not clear what will happen with the Switch 2’s internal storage, whether installs will be required, cart speed, etc.

UFS 3.1 internal storage with mandatory installs would pretty much make the Switch 2 equivalent to the next gen consoles in terms of storage speed, but it’s very not clear what will happen with the Switch 2’s internal storage, whether installs will be required, cart speed, etc.
If an M.2 2230 (limited to the same speed as internal UFS) or dedicated high speed memory card could be used as external storage, I would have no problem making physical games mandatory to install.

I really hope Konami gets their head out of their ass and finally ports Symphony of the Night to Switch 2 (or Switch... or Steam tbh)

I can't believe it was 50 years ago almost to the day that Sargent Pepper taught the band to play we learned about the Switch

I wonder how many of the titles from the Marvelous Game Showcase last year are in development for the Switch 2.

I wonder how many of the titles from the Marvelous Game Showcase last year are in development for the Switch 2.

I'd at least expect the new Daemon X Machina and Rune Factory to appear on the next Switch, though all the ones you mention sound like something you'd want to put on the next nintendo platform if you want them to have at least a chance to sell decently.

Back
Top Bottom