• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Nintendo might not have a major Switch title after Zelda as they prepare to move on to new hardware

Pikmin 4?

Violet and Scarlet DLC?

XC 3 DLC, which will likely be as big as a full fledged game?

With all due respect, this just sounds like bullshit. Insider discussion can be fun, but should stop listening to every thing they say.

How does the long-rumoured Fire Emblem remake fit into this? If it's likely coming next year won't that fit really weirdly? No way it's a cross-platform game.
Shadows of Valentia launched on 3DS just after Switch hit the market, so if the Holy War remake is real, there's no reason it can't launch on Switch even if new hardware is out. There's very recent precedence for that, and I'd bet a lot on new hardware being backwards compatible so it'll be playable on new hardware this time around.

Some of the stuff - and I'm thinking especially of CentroLeaks here - also doesn't really check out. Saying "teams are transitiong over to new hardware now" would mean new hardware is still 2 to 3 years away. Odds are that the transition is well underway, and that a number of late Switch projects end up simultaneously being early next-gen games, too.

Don't forget what NX and the reorganisation of the company was all about: avoiding software shortages during generational transitions (and all the problems that causes, like slow hardware adoption and collapsing revenue/profit) and making a centralised Nintendo Account/Nintendo software experience playable on multiple different devices. This next transition is really a test of how successful Nintendo's reorganisation was.

Pikmin 4?

Violet and Scarlet DLC?

XC 3 DLC, which will likely be as big as a full fledged game?

With all due respect, this just sounds like bullshit. Insider discussion can be fun, but should stop listening to every thing they say.
I think its pretty clear what they're saying. No 3D Mario, no Zelda, no Mario Kart/Smash like game. Its kinda obvious but I think its true what he says. Pikmin and DLC of any kind are not major games in that regard, plus they've been announced already. I think he says don't expect any AAA announcement for the Switch this year. Which is a bummer for things like 3D Mario.

Tears of the Kingdom doesn't need to be crossplatform, if the next console is backwards compatible. An update to take advantage of the new console's capabilities sure, just like how Sony and Microsoft do it but that wouldn't make ToTK a Switch 2 game suddenly.
I really, REALLY hope the next console is backwards compatible, it's my only hope for the console really.
A lot of people legitimately want to discover the game on a new hardware, in the best conditions. TotK is a very, very huge deal.
A Switch 2 update would be cool and that's very likely imo, but even late 2023 many people wouldn't really care as much as they would have already played and even completed the game so Nintendo would need other huge releases to market alongside it, having lost most if not all of the Zelda hype momentum.

Lack of bookings and events/interviews planned would make sense if they're trying very hard to keep something in particular under wraps...

I think its pretty clear what they're saying. No 3D Mario, no Zelda, no Mario Kart/Smash like game. Its kinda obvious but I think its true what he says. Pikmin and DLC of any kind are not major games in that regard, plus they've been announced already. I think he says don't expect any AAA announcement for the Switch this year. Which is a bummer for things like 3D Mario.
I'll not get into the merit of wheter that info is reliable or not - In the sense of Nintendo releasing a game from their most popular franchises - mostly because it happens more often than not that insiders in general get things wrong about Nintendo, and that's an entirely different discussion(to consider rumours as gospel).

But this is more of a question of: What even is "AAA" for Nintendo? Outside of the very obvious ones, like a mainline Mario or Zelda, this is a definition that varies from one person to another. From a sales perspective, Metroid is a AA franchise at best, and yet some people on forums always treats it like its on the same level of importance as Mario. But then there are people that can't stop arguing why Xenoblade is so niche and unimportant to the grander scheme of things, but Nintendo and its fans treats these games as the heavy hitters that they are.

So it begs the question: What does he mean as "significant"? Because when Pikmin 4 comes out, especially it being the darling franchise that it is for Miyamotto, Nintendo will probably treat it as a major tentpole for the year.The small teaser that we got for the game points to Nintendo spending quite a while to make it REALLY good graphically, so it will certainly be a good stand out in terms of graphics. And there are a lot of people looking forward for it, even if(again) its not the same ammount of people that looks forward for a Pokemon game. So how do we define what's significant or not?

Graphics? Pikmin 4 is looking like a banger.

Sales? The pokemon DLC will sell a lot, and there might be a surprise hit that just blows everyone's mind(New Ip, Old IP, etc) like Ring Fit Adventure.

Budget? We never get to know a game's budget either way.

So yeah, this just reads to me that, assuming that his information is accurate(And that's already a big If), there won't be anything significant for his tastes. Because if the only significant things are the Huge Nintendo franchises like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc , the ones that sell 10+ million units, then I wouldn't be much of a Nintendo fan to begin with.

Last edited:
I'd note that historically both HAL & Intelligent Systems have been late to the party with new systems. I actually wouldn't be shocked if we actually saw one final 2D or 3D Kirby that wasn't a port or remake, same for Fire Emblem.

I'd also question if Nintendo would make games like Ring Fit. Tomodachi Life, or Brain Age with Switch 2 support. Those are so casual oriented I honestly think it would be a mistake to not make those types of game for Switch. And honestly graphics would add so little to any of those I'd question if it would be worth the effort to make Switch 2 enhanced assets for those titles. The only casual title I can think that would benefit from such a treatment is Nintendogs.

Last edited:
Some of you asking for Scarlet and Violet DLC should be ashamed of yourselves looking at the state the main game is in. I’d rather they finished that first.
is it about asking for DLC or knowing they won't fix the game and there will be DLC?

I think the latter. They don't really want to fix the game. And those who know how GF operate know this and have moved on from that. I'll take the DLC later this year and criticize their executives while doing so.

If they fix the game I'll eat crow and go buy Violet lol.

I don’t necessarily think an announcement is off the table. Whenever the next hardware is revealed, 3D Mario will almost certainly be right alongside it. Certainty not infeasible for that to be a 2023 announcement.

Even if the next-gen Switch was releasing like in say the summer or fall, Nintendo would be stupid to stop supporting the current Switch for several more years.

Going from an immensely profitable 120+ million userbase that is putting up sky high software sales that put the Wii and DS to shame to go all in on a new platform that will not have anywhere near the same userbase for years is just not smart business, it's the reason Sony is still supporting the PS4.

My expectation for Nintendo releases after TotK

2H 2023:

Support for Pokemon, Splatoon 3, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 3, Mario Kart 8
Metroid Prime 1 Remake
Pikmin 3
Detective Pikachu 2

2024:

Metroid Prime 4 (likely late 2024)
Some Pokemon RPG (likely November 2024)
TotK DLC
More Mario Party (likely October 2024)
Kid Icarus Uprising Remake
Some casual game experiment
Some Pokemon and Kirby spinoffs
Maybe another Paper Mario

Now if you count Prime 4, Pokemon RPG, and Mario Party as the only major games on this list, then you are left with 17 months after TotK before the next major game, by which time the Switch 2 could be out and these could be cross-gen games. I would say that Prime 4, a full Pokemon RPG, and Mario Party are the only games on this list likely to sell over 5m units other than maybe the casual game depending on what idea they come up with.

I think there will be a Mario game in fall 2023, they will want to capitalize on the Mario movie. Both the 3D and 2D Mario teams have been quiet too, both are due for a new game, so I think at least one new Mario platformer is happening in 2023.

We will know after the first Direct. If it is loaded with releases past Zelda, we can assume there is more to come. If not…

I could actually see a likely scenario, where if new hardware is late 2023/ early 2024, they skip the summer Direct/E3 entirely and just wait until the Fall to announce.

I'm sorry but this whole story is so overblown. Like it's mind-numbingly dumb how much traction this has gotten because it is being treated like Nintendo will have nothing after Zelda and we know that isn't true. There will be plenty of games and whatnot for the year. I don't know if we were quite exactly expecting a "big game?" What is that exactly? Are we expecting a Mario game this year? Not really even though we are due for one and we know the Mario teams are busy. Smash is done. Mario Kart has DLC. Animal Crossing is done. Splatoon just had a game. Pokemon will likely put out DLC. Is Metroid big? By the logic these leakers use, no. So the whole story is just pointless lol.

Now I really would enjoy a Mario 2D game to come out in the end of the year. But then there is the possibility Nintendo launches new hardware next year and Mario comes then since a new Zelda won't be there(although a remake of an old game could be in the cards).

Well, I don't consider Pikmin to be a big/major franchise, specially by Nintendo standards. The same goes for DLCs of big (and not so big) games.

In that sense, Zelda is the last (really) big game that I'm expecting for the Switch, which makes sense. I'm fully expecting Metroid Prime 4 to be a launch title on Switch 2 (and Metroid is not what I'd called big either, so.... lol)

I like how people insist that Nintendo can only have a successful console if it launches with a Zelda, ignoring all the times Nintendo have launched a console without a Zelda which have then gone on to be a success. DS and 3DS didn't get their (non-remastered) Zelda's until they'd long been on the market, and the DS in particular went on to sell insane amounts.

I know people are eager for Switch 2 at this stage but I think your desires are blending with reality here. I stand by my predictions that TOTK is going to be a mega seller and Nintendo doesn't stand to gain much financially by delaying it another year, provided they have a comprehensive launch lineup of other big hitters for Switch 2 whenever we do see it. And if we are putting stock into the rumours this whole thread is about, that's what they seem to be doing.

On another point, I wonder whether GameFreak will persist with Switch 1 similar to how they have held fire on next gen hardware in the past, though if Switch 1 and 2 are cross gen I guess it won't matter that much.

Aren't the Wii and Switch the only Nintendo consoles/handhelds to launch with a new Zelda game? While you can argue Switch NEEDED Breath of the Wild, anyone who wants to argue the Wii NEEDED Twilight Princess to succeed is lying to themselves and others. Not that TP was bad or unsuccessful, but the Wii's killer app was Wii Sports, Zelda was not needed.

I'm sorry but this whole story is so overblown. Like it's mind-numbingly dumb how much traction this has gotten because it is being treated like Nintendo will have nothing after Zelda and we know that isn't true. There will be plenty of games and whatnot for the year. I don't know if we were quite exactly expecting a "big game?" What is that exactly? Are we expecting a Mario game this year? Not really even though we are due for one and we know the Mario teams are busy. Smash is done. Mario Kart has DLC. Animal Crossing is done. Splatoon just had a game. Pokemon will likely put out DLC. Is Metroid big? By the logic these leakers use, no. So the whole story is just pointless lol.

Now I really would enjoy a Mario 2D game to come out in the end of the year. But then there is the possibility Nintendo launches new hardware next year and Mario comes then since a new Zelda won't be there(although a remake of an old game could be in the cards).
I think part of the issue is that nintendo is so quiet, that really all we can do is go off of twitter rumors and speculation. Nintendo could put an end of most rumors with one word, but they dont.

I think part of the issue is that nintendo is so quiet, that really all we can do is go off of twitter rumors and speculation. Nintendo could put an end of most rumors with one word, but they dont.
But they are almost always quiet at this point in the year. They go mostly quiet until their first direct. Last year was definitely weird. They announced pretty much all of their schedule in the spring. They no showed E3 season. But since then it's been pretty normal imo.

I think people are just restless and all this chatter about the next hardware has people in a tizzy haha.

The idea that they need to launch new consoles with Zelda is simply narrow-minded and lacking in critical thinking. They need to launch with fine hardware, good and consistent software, and good marketing. Launch with a couple killer apps (which doesn’t need to be Zelda, could easily be something like Mario kart), then follow up the first year with consistent quality software and then you’re good to go.

Aren't the Wii and Switch the only Nintendo consoles/handhelds to launch with a new Zelda game? While you can argue Switch NEEDED Breath of the Wild, anyone who wants to argue the Wii NEEDED Twilight Princess to succeed is lying to themselves and others. Not that TP was bad or unsuccessful, but the Wii's killer app was Wii Sports, Zelda was not needed.
It’s a just a pattern that some try to justify TOTK launching with the new switch.
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

The idea that they need to launch new consoles with Zelda is simply narrow-minded and lacking in critical thinking. They need to launch with fine hardware, good and consistent software, and good marketing. Launch with a couple killer apps (which doesn’t need to be Zelda, could easily be something like Mario kart), then follow up the first year with consistent quality software and then you’re good to go.
Come on, Theres really no reason to insult people like that because of what they think might happen with a console launch

Some of you asking for Scarlet and Violet DLC should be ashamed of yourselves looking at the state the main game is in. I’d rather they finished that first.

You know both things happen at once, right? SV needs optimizations, but the game itself is finished, so the art team, sound team, story and design team still have jobs to do. They can't magically code and why would they sit around doing nothing?

I mean I agree with you and agree that you should he used kinder words. What really confuses me is the fact that people wouldn't buy the new Zelda because of Switch's limitation. I mean we haven't seen more than a total of 2 minutes of gameplay, and who knows what Nintendo will plan for backwards compat. If performance is an issue perhaps they can emulate it on a strong PC.

Pikmin 4
Wario Land by Good Feel
Rhythm Heaven by indiezeros
Punch-Out!!
Star Fox
Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp
Golden Sun
Mario Baseball

None of those would be considered 'big' games but a year or two of some of those plus additional HD remasters like Kid Icarus Uprising would be awesome imo.

This is where I am at, throw in some more Wii U ports like Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Xenoblade X and I’d be happy with that as the swan song for Switch.

If I've learned one thing over the last six years, it's that Nintendo has become more and more adept at keeping cards close to their chest. We're seeing countless leaks that never come to pass, and we're seeing games get announced and released in unprecedented timeframes.

Switch software line-up was largely under wraps until the January showcase, with the only leak really being from the show floor just prior. ARMS released only five months after it was announced. Mario Odyssey released October that year, 9 months. Similar timeframes apply to Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 etc. More recently we saw Metroid Dread launch with the Switch OLED, both in under four months' time (although the OLED model had leaked by then). And I'm ignoring some of the smaller releases like Kirby's Dream Buffet which released one month after it was announced. I also recall Nintendo managing to keep the E3 2019 Tears of the Kingdom trailer from being known until it aired.

The point is, when Nintendo really wants to keep something a secret, it seems they have the ability to do so. There are probably specific conditions in which Nintendo content does leak, perhaps related to working with several or specific partners, but the proof is there that they can keep things under wraps. I firmly believe that had they wanted to, Tears of the Kingdom could still be a complete secret to this day bar the recent OLED model leak.

My optimistic take around this 'reporting'? Nintendo is once again keeping secrets. Simple as that.

It depends of what each one perceives a s a major title, personally, if I had to list all the major titles from the Switch, it would look like this (not including Game Freak's games):
2017 : BoTW, MK8DX, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 (5 games).
2018 : SSBU (1 game)
2019 : Luigi's Mansion 3 (1 game)
2020 : ACNH (1 game)
2021 : SM3DW+BF, Metroid Dread (2 games)
2022 : Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3 (2 games)

So this would basically look like this (It's not a science, maybe I would do it differently another day with Bayonetta 3 or Link's Awakening, or I would remove Metroid Dread, but that's an opinion at this precise moment), there's 12 games. So personally If we don't get any other major games (like the ones I quoted above), I wouldn't actually mind if we get games like ToTK, some quality remakes like F-Zero, all the DLC for Xenoblade 3 and Pokémon, and eventually MP4.

It depends of what each one perceives a s a major title, personally, if I had to list all the major titles from the Switch, it would look like this (not including Game Freak's games):
2017 : BoTW, MK8DX, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 (5 games).
2018 : SSBU (1 game)
2019 : Luigi's Mansion 3 (1 game)
2020 : ACNH (1 game)
2021 : SM3DW+BF, Metroid Dread (2 games)
2022 : Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3 (2 games)

So this would basically look like this (It's not a science, maybe I would do it differently another day with Bayonetta 3 or Link's Awakening, or I would remove Metroid Dread, but that's an opinion at this precise moment), there's 12 games. So personally If we don't get any other major games (like the ones I quoted above), I wouldn't actually mind if we get games like ToTK, some quality remakes like F-Zero, all the DLC for Xenoblade 3 and Pokémon, and eventually MP4.
You included Metroid Dread but not Three Houses, despite the latter selling quite a bit better? Metroid is nowhere close to being included as a "major" title in any list anyway, not even Prime 4.

You included Metroid Dread but not Three Houses, despite the latter selling quite a bit better? Metroid is nowhere close to being included as a "major" title in any list anyway, not even Prime 4.
They also didn't include either Kirby game on Switch, which either game sold better then all 3 Switch Xenoblade games combined.

Making a list of "major titles" without games like the Warriors series, any Fire Emblem, Mario Party, Ring Fit, Kirby game or, hell, any of the third party games that released on Switch first or are still exclusive like Octopath Traveller, MH Rise or Tetris 99 is a bit of a joke.

They also didn't include either Kirby game on Switch, which either game sold better then all 3 Switch Xenoblade games combined.
No Link’s Awakening or Mario Maker 2, either.

Just goes to show how nebulous the definition of a “big game” is.

Big games I assume are pillars titles like Pokémon, 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Smash. I can definitely see Nintendo just having Zelda as the big one for only this year and hope that there isn’t a new Pokémon game as well.

Come on, Theres really no reason to insult people like that because of what they think might happen with a console launch

The argument that having Zelda at launch is critical is pervasive enough that I think it’s fine to point out that it doesn’t actually have any correlation to the real world. It’s a narrative at this point. The only time it’s really been true has been with the switch, and even that was only one piece of the puzzle.

I don’t think it’s much of an insult to point out that the argument is being made because people are only looking at things through one lens and not seeing the bigger picture.

Chris Dring looks at things from an industry and mass market perspective. He's looking at what games have historically broken through to mass market appeal which, just for the sake of setting a bar, I'd say are 10 million+ sellers, and tend to sell hardware as well. Metroid, Pikmin, and Xenoblade are not those kind of franchises historically speaking.

With BotW, a 3D Zelda now has much more broader appeal than a 2D Zelda, so it's not even necessarily franchise based, just as Mario Kart is a much more popular Mario Spin-off title than Mario + Rabbids is. It's more a mix of what genre's are currently popular and tend to sell well (like open world action games), and what Brand they are attached to.

Of course the market is constantly shifting and changing so what's considered a "major title" is a bit of a moving target.

I do feel like we could have a 2D/3D mario game this year. I would be weird to have one launch year and then no new mainline entry. Also since the movie will release at least a year before the successor, they would kinda waste the hype of it.

Finally they will have ported everything from Wii U so maybe next gen they will have more original content...

I do feel like we could have a 2D/3D mario game this year. I would be weird to have one launch year and then no new mainline entry. Also since the movie will release at least a year before the successor, they would kinda waste the hype of it.

Finally they will have ported everything from Wii U so maybe next gen they will have more original content...
I can’t wait for the new Mario game with Chris Pratt voice.

No one knows anything. Let Nintendo do them. They will either pass or fail. Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself.

Your answers are exactly why everyone's opinion differs on what a major title is, for me it's something that is ambitious with a huge marketing campaign, despite the sales potential, which Kirby never had.

Well, if we're referring to super sellers as major titles, there's really a few options left since most of them already got released on Switch. Unless there's a magical new franchise that becomes an instant hit, like Splatoon on Wii U, then might as well look for the last best selling franchise that has yet to hit the Switch after TOTK, like a new 2D Mario for example.

Now, if we're referring to franchises that have a dedicated and visible fanbase regardless of size, then there's plenty of possibilities still for 2nd half of 2023.

I finished the story mode and that ending left me craving for MORE.
You know that they can do patches and DLC at the same time right? It's not a "choose only one" scenario.

Back
Top Bottom