• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Nintendo is emailing about Super Mario Odyssey in 2023 ... but why ?

I swear to god if after six years all we get is odyssey 2 I'll be so annoyed
I hear you. Back in 2019/2020 I wanted Odyssey 2 so bad, but now after all this time it's not wrong to expect something completely wild and new.
Galaxy 2 and 3D World worked because they released not so long after the previous title, it felt like they still had so many ideas. But after all this time (and most importantly, Bowser's Fury in between), it would be a bit weird to just go back to Odyssey imo.

New Mario and Zelda without new hardware is perfectly fine and both will sell crazy this year and next. But what will they use to push the inevitable successor? Smash and Mario Kart ain't enough imo. New hardware needs at least a very strong single player game.

I'm pretty sure if we get 3D Mario and ToTK this year with no new hardware the Future Hardware thread will implode

There is literally nothing to point to a 3D Mario releasing any time soon though? No leaks, nothing. We have tons more evidence of a hardware release than a new Mario game.

And no, this email doesn't prove anything lol

Nintendo not being able to successfully launch a new system for like five years should be a bad thing for everyone

put aside your tribalism and think about us all as Nintendo fans. do you really want Nintendo to be stuck until 2028?
I don't know who this "everyone" fellow is but we don't live in the same world.

Ok jokes aside, for the sake of giving you an actual answer.
I really, truly, do not care when the next system arrives. As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as being "stuck", I just want to play good games.

My favorite game of 2022 was Chained Echoes. A 16 bit retro-looking indie game.
I'll be interested in the new system when there will be games on it I can't play anywhere else.

I'll say this without an ounce of hyperbole: I would have no problem playing on my OG Switch for the next 10 years as long as long there are good games to play on it.

I'm pretty sure if we get 3D Mario and ToTK this year with no new hardware the Future Hardware thread will implode
You say that as if it doesn't implode once a month anyway. Jokes aside, I expect that this just marketing material to coincide with the movie.

I don't know who this "everyone" fellow is but we don't live in the same world.

Ok jokes aside, for the sake of giving you an actual answer.
I really, truly, do not care when the next system arrives. As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as being "stuck", I just to play good games.

My favorite game of 2022 was Chained Echoes. A 16 bit retro-looking indie game.
I'll be interested in the new system when there will be games on it I can't play anywhere else.

I'll say this without an ounce of hyperbole: I would have no problem playing on my OG Switch for the next 10 years as long as long there are good games to play on it.
that's fair. I think for the most part I'd be okay with it too, but I'm excited to see what Nintendo would do with more power. I think they're already scraping against what their hardware can do (e.g. Bowser's Fury and, speculatively, Animal Crossing having a 3D grass effect during development that was removed).

the reason I say it'd be concerning or whatever though is because that would kind of be bad for their business. it'd be nice if they could just sell games on the one thing everyone has forever but afaik that's unrealistic.

There is literally nothing to point to a 3D Mario releasing any time soon though? No leaks, nothing. We have tons more evidence of a hardware release than a new Mario game.

And no, this email doesn't prove anything lol
3D Mario this year makes more sense than Switch 2 this year IMO

I'm pretty sure that we will be playing the next 3D Mario within the next 15 months. 12 months possibly, though I'm more confident in a March 2024 release alongside the new console.

It means nothing. It's just a typical marketing email to get people to play and buy Mario Odyssey; timed to coincide with the new year and the upcoming SMB Movie.

There is no way that Nintendo is wasting the next 3D Mario game on the current Switch console. That would be outright madness and would leave basically nothing for them to launch alongside Switch 2.
I also think 3D Mario is launch title for the next console, but it's not true that it would leave nothing for the launch of the console.

Mario Kart and 2D Mario are big candidates for the next console's launch.

Though I do think that if new 3D Mario is this year, it means that the launch of the next console is later than most think it is.

the reason I say it'd be concerning or whatever though is because that would kind of be bad for their business.
For sure, they have to release something in the next 2 years, but with the current performance of the Switch, I'm far from worried.

I also think 3D Mario is launch title for the next console, but it's not true that it would leave nothing for the launch of the console.

Though I do think that if new 3D Mario is this year, it means that the launch of the next console is later than most think it is.

Mario Kart 10 isn't coming out any time soon; since the team is currently working on the Booster Course Pass and ongoing support for MKT. You aint getting a new Mario Kart until at least 2026.

EPD Tokyo have been largely silent since releasing Mario Odyssey all the way back in 2017 (They only assisted on Bowser's Fury, since NST were the primary developers on that game, amazingly enough!). So they're well overdue a release... but if they release a new 3D Mario game this year? They won't be releasing anything else until at least 2026 (maybe not even until 2027).

Nintendo's development studios are all pretty much tapped out now. All of them (except for EPD Tokyo and Retro Studios) have released major titles within the couple of years or so... so if those two studios blow their load this year? That's the end of any chance for an explosive first party launch lineup for Switch 2 until 2025/2026.

The likes of TOTK and Splatoon 3 should've really been saved for release on Switch 2 during its launch window.

2D mario can come later. You want a big show stopper for the launch, and if it's not Zelda, it really should be 3D mario, (with an upgraded TOTK release not long after the launch)

Nintendo not being able to successfully launch a new system for like five years should be a bad thing for everyone

put aside your tribalism and think about us all as Nintendo fans. do you really want Nintendo to be stuck until 2028?
Wait, what? How?
There are so many baseless assumptions here, I think you may just be suffering from a bit of Switch fatigue. Perfectly understandable, but don't let video games get to you this much. It's really not worth it.

Edit: I lost most of the sight in one of my eyes recently, and with it a lot of my tolerance for low image quality and low framerates on a small screen held too close to my face.

Luckily the Switch has such an extensive library by now that I've been able to find plenty of entertainment value in less graphically demanding games which run well.
I'll get to Bayonetta 3 and Xenoblade 3 and the rest of them (sneers at Yoshi's Crafted World) on the next system, they'll still be great. There's no rush.

Meanwhile I'm also spending more time outdoors and appreciating the beauty of the natural world, which remains unmatched.

There won’t be an Odyssey 2. It would have happened years ago if that were the case (just as it was with Galaxy 1 & 2). They’re doing something entirely different for the new console and I’d wager that Bowser’s Fury was a sampling of it.

This email is most likely cross-marketing with the upcoming movie to keep Mario fresh on peoples’ minds to a) sell more copies of their last big 3D Mario game, of course; and b) get people in seats for the movie. The more Mario is discussed, the more potential for both of those things.
Galaxy 2 happened on a whole different context and game development got way bigger on Switch era tho. Super Mario Odyssey took 4 years of development and was a Switch launch window title, they probably wanted to go bigger on a sequel, even if it isn't called Odyssey 2(like Tears os the Kingdom is a sequel to BotW), and that alone would make for longer development cycle, couple that with COVID, switching engines and probably a new console on the corner and we can see why it took/is taking so long. There's the fact that this time EPD Tokyo is working on 2 projects too.

Meanwhile I'm also spending more time outdoors and appreciating the beauty of the natural world, which remains unmatched.
this is so true

I live in one of the most beautiful parts of the united states, and try to spend as much time outside as I can

as for the rest of my post, I just don't like what a 2023 3D Mario implies for Nintendo's development pipeline

this is so true

I live in one of the most beautiful parts of the united states, and try to spend as much time outside as I can

as for the rest of my post, I just don't like what a 2023 3D Mario implies for Nintendo's development pipeline
Let Nintendo worry about that. Covid happened, silicone shortages happened. These things are bigger than all of us.

Absolutely zero chance Nintendo releases a 2D platformer as the big launch title for their new system, lol.

It did not go very well last time.

What we really need is a greedy selfish bastard version of Captain Toad. A Wario to his wholesome cheerful Mario.

Plot twist, that was toadette all along.

DsnjzDJXgAEdUqZ.jpg

They launched Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., more or less concurrently with PlayStation 5 and Series X.

It was a huge success. Even got a follow-up one year later, Game & Watch: The Legend of Zelda. But I don't see any PlayStation 5 2 or Series X 2.

Back
Top Bottom