• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Nintendo is emailing about Super Mario Odyssey in 2023 ... but why ?

It means nothing. It's just a typical marketing email to get people to play and buy Mario Odyssey; timed to coincide with the new year and the upcoming SMB Movie.

There is no way that Nintendo is wasting the next 3D Mario game on the current Switch console. That would be outright madness and would leave basically nothing for them to launch alongside Switch 2.

I‘m just mad that I didn‘t got this mail. Last Nintendo mail in my mailbox is "An outlook of games in 2023" which makes my bank account cry.

3D World sequel and Galaxy prequel
depositphotos_72198171-stock-photo-elderly-man-with-glasses-confused.jpg

I'd still buy it though

3D Land -> 3D World -> 3D Solar System -> Galaxy -> Galaxy 2 -> 3D Universe -> 3D Multiverse starring Zelda -> 3D Big Bang -> 64 -> Sunshine -> Odyssey -> 3D Land

Super Mario Odyssey 2 confirmed?

I am somewhat personally offended I didn't get this e-mail. I have been reliably giving Nintendo part of my paycheck and allowance for almost 30 years, and they don't want to hear my opinion about Super Mario Odyssey? I feel betrayed.

Marketing? The Mario movie is out in three months and Odyssey is the biggest Mario platformer on the system. This means absolutely nothing.

Because maybe you overlooked something the first time you played the game. There is nothing deeper to it. If anything they will start advertising even more older Switch games in this throwback way which could in the best case mean that Switch really is at its end of life and Drake around the corner.
Fair enough and I'm certainly not going to die on this hill. In my opinion it's just not very effective marketing in that case. Nintendo know their audience better than that.

I figure they're saving the big stuff for Switch 2. Surprised they are releasing Zelda but I figure a next gen patch and DLC update will do the trick. I have no hopes for Mario or Mario Kart or something big like that.

I figure they're saving the big stuff for Switch 2. Surprised they are releasing Zelda but I figure a next gen patch and DLC update will do the trick. I have no hopes for Mario or Mario Kart or something big like that.
yeah, this is what frustrates me about the Switch Pro/2 situation. I can't help but think they're holding games back, and since 2023 is off the table per Nate and DF, I don't expect 3D Mario this year. Which is crazy because we're already waiting quite long

yeah, this is what frustrates me about the Switch Pro/2 situation. I can't help but think they're holding games back, and since 2023 is off the table per Nate and DF, I don't expect 3D Mario this year. Which is crazy because we're already waiting quite long
Definitely sucks but I'm also pretty excited for a new Nintendo console and big games that must be in development for years. I mean Mario Kart, Mario, Luigi, Smash and what not, those must have been in development for years now.

All the comments about Chris Pratt DLC coming are close but not quite.

What Nintendo is doing is trying to remind Chris Pratt to actually play a fuckin Mario game, and to avoid him feeling singled out when he gets the email they're sending it to a bunch of other people as well.

I agree that second paragraph copy is kind of weird, but I’m going to not to get my hopes up. Probably just for the movie.

…having said that, if there were to be some kind of theoretical Odyssey 2 on the horizon, I would theoretically lose my shit

Nintendo "hey , whats your favorite level in Oddysey??"
Expectations: "ZOMG NEW MARIOOOOOOO"
Reality "You liked New Donk City? here are some other games where you can play in the city!"

The nostalgia based references are fine. I don't want 2D Mario in 3D. If I wanted to play 2D Mario I'd play 2D Mario. 3D Mario should be about exploration, NPCs, story, world-building, and collecting stars or star adjacent doohickeys, not flagpoles.

what i like about 3D Mario is that it isn't just one thing. it should never just be any one thing. Super Mario Galaxy was extremely different from Sunshine and 64. 3D Land and World went a different direction. And Odyssey a different one from there. 3D Mario shouldn't be anything, it should be exactly what the title says: Mario games with 3D gameplay. there's nothing about 3D Mario that needs to be in every game and it would be be creatively restricting if that were true. just because the game before had stars and collecting things doesn't mean every game after should. the reason you want 3D Mario to be those things is also not too dissimilar to why people want 2D elements in 3D Mario: it's those elements they associate with Mario platformers in general, just as you associate 3D with those things.

Super Mario 64 existed because they created a new game from elements they thought would work and would be interesting in 3D. Super Mario 64 wouldn't exist as it did if longrunning game series had to always be the same kinds of games.

It's most likely not to mean anything, but there were stuff that appeared to mean nothing even more that led to stuff coming before, like Pikmin 4 being announced shortly after Pikmin 3 Deluxe entered on sale.

Nintendo isn't dumb and they'll try to boost game sales the most they can with the movie coming. Promoting Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and other evergreen Mario titles seems like a given. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting new content after a while, they can release some stuff for Odyssey to celebrate the movie but that sounds less likely.

I think it would be smart for Nintendo to announce the next 3D Mario this year at least, while it would probably not release until 2024, it would benefit from the hype generated by the movie. Well, a new 2D Mario might be on its way for this year, so who knows really.

what i like about 3D Mario is that it isn't just one thing. it should never just be any one thing. Super Mario Galaxy was extremely different from Sunshine and 64. 3D Land and World went a different direction. And Odyssey a different one from there. 3D Mario shouldn't be anything, it should be exactly what the title says: Mario games with 3D gameplay. there's nothing about 3D Mario that needs to be in every game and it would be be creatively restricting if that were true. just because the game before had stars and collecting things doesn't mean every game after should. the reason you want 3D Mario to be those things is also not too dissimilar to why people want 2D elements in 3D Mario: it's those elements they associate with Mario platformers in general, just as you associate 3D with those things.

Super Mario 64 existed because they created a new game from elements they thought would work and would be interesting in 3D. Super Mario 64 wouldn't exist as it did if longrunning game series had to always be the same kinds of games.
I agree with what you're saying about 3D Mario being creative, but everything I listed are elements shared by every 3D game bar 3D Land and 3D World. They're the core identity of 64 that has been iterated upon to create the 3D Mario series, and is literally what 3D Mario is defined as.

I do want the series to remain creative however which is exactly why the attempt to homogenize the brand around 2011 - 2013 scared me so much. The 3D_ series can exist on its own but it should never replace the real 3D Mario imo.

I agree with what you're saying about 3D Mario being creative, but everything I listed are elements shared by every 3D game bar 3D Land and 3D World. They're the core identity of 64 that has been iterated upon to create the 3D Mario series, and is literally what 3D Mario is defined as.

I do want the series to remain creative however which is exactly why the attempt to homogenize the brand around 2011 - 2013 scared me so much. The 3D_ series can exist on its own but it should never replace the real 3D Mario imo.

But again, if Mario had to always stay as it was, you wouldn't have gotten Mario 64 in the first place. Just because 3D Mario was one way in the past doesn't mean that's how it should always be. You can stop at any point in a franchise and mark a line of "everything before this is what the series should be" and it just becomes arbitrary. A lot of why early 3D Mario is why it was is because Nintendo wasn't able to translate platforming as well into 3D. But they have gotten better and better at it. Every 3D Mario after 64 puts a lot more effort into platforming in a 3D space. Sunshine is essentially the opposite of Mario 64 in that way, in that the game is almost always you needing to jump, walk tight paths, etc. Galaxy 1 and 2 built off of that, two more games that had huge focuses on 3D platforming, and then 3D Land and 3D World after.

3D Mario just isn't what I associate with conservative Nintendo. It's not a Dragon Quest, Pokemon kind of thing. It is where Nintendo has really spread their wings. I remember so much complaining about Sunshine being different from 64. Then I remember so much complaining that Galaxy 1 and 2 were different from 64. And then I remembered so much complaining that 3D Land and World were different from N64. There's always been that specific outcry against 3D Mario because of how much Nintendo likes to experiment.

3D Mario also being a genre is a problem in and of itself. I don't use 3D Mario as a genre, I use it as the very concept itself: Mario platforming in 3D. And with how resources are nowadays, it's extremely hard for Nintendo to appease everyone. If they have to make 3D Mario games similar to 64 until the end of time, they'd never get to do anything else. 64 did so many brand new things and changed so many Mario paradigms, so it would be pretty sad.

I also don't think any specific games should be considered "real" or "fake" 3D Mario games, that's weird.

Though, to make it clear: I don't want the next 3D Mario to be like 3D World. I don't want it to be like Odyssey, or 64, or Galaxy. I want it to be yet another new thing, in whatever form that is. If they have to pull another Mario 64 and kill some sacred cows, so be it.

Nintendo secretly saving Mario Odyssey 2 and Switch 2 for a same day release as the Mario Movie. And then they have a special promotion where if you buy all three plus new Mario Movie amiibos on release day you gets a a free eShop copy of Galaxy 2.

God would that be the dream 😎

I wonder if a free DLC or paid DLC expansion is coming featuring content related to the movie
Would be a relatively straightforward way to promote the movie and have 'mario' content ready without launching a brand new game, especially if Switch 2 isn't ready yet and they are holding that game for launch.

That said, i'm not sure how i will feel about it. will depend entirely ont he content on offer.

I wonder if a free DLC or paid DLC expansion is coming featuring content related to the movie
Would be a relatively straightforward way to promote the movie and have 'mario' content ready without launching a brand new game, especially if Switch 2 isn't ready yet and they are holding that game for launch.

That said, i'm not sure how i will feel about it. will depend entirely ont he content on offer.
I just don't think it would sell very well. How many people still play Odyssey? Mario Kart has online multiplayer and sells a ton so DLC always made sense. Odyssey isn't really like that.

The nostalgia based references are fine. I don't want 2D Mario in 3D. If I wanted to play 2D Mario I'd play 2D Mario. 3D Mario should be about exploration, NPCs, story, world-building, and collecting stars or star adjacent doohickeys, not flagpoles.

3D World and Land, are literally just 3D adaptations of 2D Mario with 3D Land being almost soulless, as it relies almost exclusively on 2D Mario tropes and SMB3 Nostalgia. It's quite literally a NSMB game in 3D. I appreciate 3D World for being more unique and having more of its own identity, but that direction is the last direction I want to see 3D Mario head in.
The Sprixie Kingdom in 3D World was a wasted opportunity. Too much of a Mushroom Kingdom wannabe. Just felt like an afterthought because Peach was playable.

But again, if Mario had to always stay as it was, you wouldn't have gotten Mario 64 in the first place. Just because 3D Mario was one way in the past doesn't mean that's how it should always be. You can stop at any point in a franchise and mark a line of "everything before this is what the series should be" and it just becomes arbitrary. A lot of why early 3D Mario is why it was is because Nintendo wasn't able to translate platforming as well into 3D. But they have gotten better and better at it. Every 3D Mario after 64 puts a lot more effort into platforming in a 3D space. Sunshine is essentially the opposite of Mario 64 in that way, in that the game is almost always you needing to jump, walk tight paths, etc. Galaxy 1 and 2 built off of that, two more games that had huge focuses on 3D platforming, and then 3D Land and 3D World after.

3D Mario just isn't what I associate with conservative Nintendo. It's not a Dragon Quest, Pokemon kind of thing. It is where Nintendo has really spread their wings. I remember so much complaining about Sunshine being different from 64. Then I remember so much complaining that Galaxy 1 and 2 were different from 64. And then I remembered so much complaining that 3D Land and World were different from N64. There's always been that specific outcry against 3D Mario because of how much Nintendo likes to experiment.

3D Mario also being a genre is a problem in and of itself. I don't use 3D Mario as a genre, I use it as the very concept itself: Mario platforming in 3D. And with how resources are nowadays, it's extremely hard for Nintendo to appease everyone. If they have to make 3D Mario games similar to 64 until the end of time, they'd never get to do anything else. 64 did so many brand new things and changed so many Mario paradigms, so it would be pretty sad.

I also don't think any specific games should be considered "real" or "fake" 3D Mario games, that's weird.

Though, to make it clear: I don't want the next 3D Mario to be like 3D World. I don't want it to be like Odyssey, or 64, or Galaxy. I want it to be yet another new thing, in whatever form that is. If they have to pull another Mario 64 and kill some sacred cows, so be it.
I get what you're saying and I agree to a certain extent, but for the sake of the thread, I'd rather not keep the argument going. I definitely do, above all else hope that 3D Mario stays creative, as we really don't have many creative avenues left for Mario since M&L is dead and Paper Mario is...well Paper Mario.
The Sprixie Kingdom in 3D World was a wasted opportunity. Too much of a Mushroom Kingdom wannabe. Just felt like an afterthought because Peach was playable.
I mean I liked the way it looked on the world map, but I hated how none of the levels besides a handful really built off of the theme of the island. Each one just felt like a stand alone, more or less forgettable level. Overall however 3D World handles it way better than 3D Land, as that level individuality is way worst in 3D Land, but I just hate it, because it actively pushes against any sorta immersion or suspension of disbelief. Like you could argue that the Galaxy games do the same thing, but since the whole concept is Space, you can wrap up the individuality neatly under the bow of each level, in-universe just being a different planet or part of the larger collective universe.

Meanwhile we got something like Odyssey which builds on the concept of a world trip, and actively leans into that idea by providing lore and world building for each Kingdom, which for me and my weird brain is a dream come true. Ultimately tho, I don't hate the Sprixie Kingdom, but like you said it's a huge wasted opportunity, as they never really did anything with it, it's just a group of islands with a few fairy creatures floating about.

-------------

Also I don't know if any brought it up, but there was that 4chan leak awhile back about a guy who did game surveys for potential upcoming products that leaked both Odyssey 2 and Sonic Frontiers, with the Sonic Frontiers info being spot on, and the leak was from like January 2020 or something, well before we got any information on Frontiers.

I just had a dream about an Odyssey DLC pack where Mario was running around a world that was a hybrid of a volcanic area and a pinball machine

And now with this email thing I am now convinced we’re gonna get Odyssey DLC. Come on, powers of prophecy

Lol at 3D World 2.

Why would Miyamoto say they want to expand Mario even further in new ways, and then just go back to 3D World style? That’s not happening. Odyssey was a massive, massive hit, for better or worse.

I’m not a fan of the tedious moon collecting, and I miss actual thought-provoking platforming, but if you think they’re ignoring that Odyssey was the best selling 3D Mario by a country mile and tossing it all by the wayside, you’re in for a rude awakening.

I for one am hoping they find better ways to merge the styles, in a brand new 3D game. No sequels, please.

Do what Bowser’s Fury did, big expansive environment, combined with solid platforming in said environment.

Odyssey and 3D World are both way too extreme in their design philosophies. I want the best of both worlds.

It’s just like how people want Tears of the Kingdom to be Breath of the Wild mixed in with conventions of series past; and that might be exactly what we’re getting. 3D Mario team isn’t as receptive as the Zelda team so it’s a bit of a wild card. I could see them just doing Odyssey 2 on the dot, but I hope they are more creative than that.

Nintendo wants to email everyone (including new Nintendo Switch owners / accounts from the holiday season) about one of the greatest game of all time. I don't see the problem.

Last edited:
There won’t be an Odyssey 2. It would have happened years ago if that were the case (just as it was with Galaxy 1 & 2). They’re doing something entirely different for the new console and I’d wager that Bowser’s Fury was a sampling of it.

This email is most likely cross-marketing with the upcoming movie to keep Mario fresh on peoples’ minds to a) sell more copies of their last big 3D Mario game, of course; and b) get people in seats for the movie. The more Mario is discussed, the more potential for both of those things.

I don't think this email means anything but why would it be too late for odyssey 2 ? We are getting a botw2 6 years after the first game. Given how game development times balloon nowadays, it would actually makes sense.
Odyssey 2 for Switch (they didn't have to start from scratch) and a new, ambitious 2D Mario on Switch successor early on.

Honestly when I got this email I was slightly surprised but also thought "yeah this makes sense".
People have been asking why Odyssey didn't get DLC but the amount of content in this game is already insane. Personally I finished the main story but didn't bother much playing after that if I am being honest, only getting a fraction of all Power Moons. I'd venture this was similar for many others who played the game.

I am sure Nintendo is aware of these metrics.

I'll take an Odyssey sequel consisting entirely of Pokio levels.

Back
Top Bottom