• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Nintendo is emailing about Super Mario Odyssey in 2023 ... but why ?

If you read the email, it's actually confirming Style Savvy.

I played Odyssey on my Switch but I didn't get an email. Guess Nintendo has me clocked

I swear to god if after six years all we get is odyssey 2 I'll be so annoyed
There is no way we will get Odyssey 2 after 6 years. (Now before all of you will start typing that we are getting direct sequel to Zelda after 6 years). The fact that EPD Tokyo has not even made DLC for it or anything is pretty telling. Also if they are apparently switching engines why would they do it for direct sequel? Does not make any sense. Miyamoto says Nintendo wants to try expanding 3D Mario in new ways.

I find Odyssey almost underrated. I feel like many of the people that are annoyed with the number of moons don't try to take into account the specifics of the Nintendo Switch, I think and hope that time will do this wonderful game justice.

Sorry to be out of the loop, but why would this be a bad thing? Odyssey is my favorite Mario game ever. This might be sacrilege but I would be more excited for Odyssey 2 than Tears of the Kingdom, but that’s just me.

Well Nintendo, where's my Super Mario Odyssey themed email to remind me to play the game even though I just played it to 100% again a few months ago?

I am absolutely the wrong demographic for this advertising campaign.

I must say, the sentence: "I swear to god if after six years all we get is the sequel to the greatest 3D platformer of all time" is one I certainly cannot understand.

cNXxGoy.png

veq2C7g.png

They did that on purpose.

@Tangerine_Cookie hey look 😅

Last edited:
Honestly I'd rather a Odyssey 2 than see them "reinvent the wheel" again and come back with like 3D World 2 or something like that. Odyssey is the direction I believe 3D Mario should stay going in not needlessly being bogged down with 2D Mario elements, tropes, and nostalgia, and as such I don't have faith they won't try exactly that should they steer away from what they did with Odyssey.

That said, no I don't think this email means anything I think they're just hyping up Mario related things to drive people to watch the upcoming movie. Also Nintendo never emails me and that makes me salty.

Too bad there are no more big games coming from Nintendo in 2023 after TotK.

Honestly I'd rather a Odyssey 2 than see them "reinvent the wheel" again and come back with like 3D World 2 or something like that. Odyssey is the direction I believe 3D Mario should stay going in not needlessly being bogged down with 2D Mario elements, tropes, and nostalgia, and as such I don't have faith they won't try exactly that should they steer away from what they did with Odyssey.

That said, no I don't think this email means anything I think they're just hyping up Mario related things to drive people to watch the upcoming movie. Also Nintendo never emails me and that makes me salty.

Are we thinking about the same.mario odyssey? Like, sure, it's not a 3d world level of adapting the 2d games, but Mario odyssey is the biggest nostalgia chaser the 3d mario series has ever had to the point of having an entire kingdom complete with a song number that's all about dredging up nostalgia.

Are we thinking about the same.mario odyssey? Like, sure, it's not a 3d world level of adapting the 2d games, but Mario odyssey is the biggest nostalgia chaser the 3d mario series has ever had to the point of having an entire kingdom complete with a song number that's all about dredging up nostalgia.
The nostalgia based references are fine. I don't want 2D Mario in 3D. If I wanted to play 2D Mario I'd play 2D Mario. 3D Mario should be about exploration, NPCs, story, world-building, and collecting stars or star adjacent doohickeys, not flagpoles.

3D World and Land, are literally just 3D adaptations of 2D Mario with 3D Land being almost soulless, as it relies almost exclusively on 2D Mario tropes and SMB3 Nostalgia. It's quite literally a NSMB game in 3D. I appreciate 3D World for being more unique and having more of its own identity, but that direction is the last direction I want to see 3D Mario head in.

I must say, the sentence: "I swear to god if after six years all we get is the sequel to the greatest 3D platformer of all time" is one I certainly cannot understand.
hey I'd gladly take a sequel to mario 64 but odyssey 2 would be a bit dull after all this time

Because they have a movie coming out in 3 months that is going to be a mega blockbuster hit.

Maybe if Nintendo was smart, they would have another Mario game in the works this year too.

Last of Us Part 1 is a really smart move, looking back it.

In my mind it would be down right weird if Nintendo doesn't have any kind of Mario release for this year? No only have we been in a lengthy Mario drought on Switch but with a Mario theme park and huge movie coming out, you would think Nintendo would have at LEAST one new Mario game or port at the ready for release this year. It would be like Disney releasing a new blockbuster kids movie and not having any toys ready to sell.

Nintendo is weird but are we really expecting no new Mario content this year?

In my mind it would be down right weird if Nintendo doesn't have any kind of Mario release for this year? No only have we been in a lengthy Mario drought on Switch but with a Mario theme park and huge movie coming out, you would think Nintendo would have at LEAST one new Mario game or port at the ready for release this year. It would be like Disney releasing a new blockbuster kids movie and not having any toys ready to sell.

It's less "we don't expect new Mario content" and more "we have no idea what Mario content we'll get."

Are we getting another spinoff? A 2D Mario game? A 3D game? Who knows? Switch 2 not being in sight doesn't help, as a big 3D Mario game would be a potential launch title for whatever new system is being worked on.

We're getting new Mario games this year. There's always two or three per year. 3D Mario though..... nah.

The nostalgia based references are fine. I don't want 2D Mario in 3D. If I wanted to play 2D Mario I'd play 2D Mario. 3D Mario should be about exploration, NPCs, story, world-building, and collecting stars or star adjacent doohickeys, not flagpoles.

3D World and Land, are literally just 3D adaptations of 2D Mario with 3D Land being almost soulless, as it relies almost exclusively on 2D Mario tropes and SMB3 Nostalgia. It's quite literally a NSMB game in 3D. I appreciate 3D World for being more unique and having more of its own identity, but that direction is the last direction I want to see 3D Mario head in.
I totally get what you're saying here about 2D Mario elements in 3D Mario games, but I find it funny that Odyssey also had really good 2D Mario sections scattered throughout the levels.

It‘s more likely that the person who wrote the mail dosen‘t know anything about the next Mario game than this being a hint for Odyssey 2.

It‘s more likely that the person who wrote the mail dosen‘t know anything about the next Mario game than this being a hint for Odyssey 2.
Then why send an email saying "there's more to explore" five and a half years after the game came out?

Hey Big Nintendo Fan,

If some of you haven't bought SMO yet, do it.

Thanks,

Love Nintendo (give more money plz)

Then why send an email saying "there's more to explore" five and a half years after the game came out?
Because maybe you overlooked something the first time you played the game. There is nothing deeper to it. If anything they will start advertising even more older Switch games in this throwback way which could in the best case mean that Switch really is at its end of life and Drake around the corner.

Nintendo can't even be bothered reselling you their old shit any more. Just gonna email us and say "you've got it somewhere, nerd, go play it"

Back
Top Bottom