• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread |ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody's 11-12 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intro is hype as hell, too. It gives off massive "oh shit I'm probably not ready for this" vibes, it owns
Seriously, big shout out to the whole XB3 ost, I love some of the moodier pieces too.

Just woke up after 12 hours sleep. Transatlantic travel really wipes me out with this chronic condition, hoo boy. I am still exhausted.

I have opened and looked at my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 3, though. Once I'm a little more alive it's back to Live Alive so I can start XBC3 later this week.

We have a THQ Nordic presentation at the end of this month, we'll learn more about it then.

I expect even more Switch surprises, like Remnant, Biomutant and Second Sight.
The presentation is on August 12th, so not quite the end of the month.

Also - Biomutant just got announced for next-gen consoles, I feel like if a Switch version was coming it would've been announced together with them... and even if it were to come I doubt it would run all that well considering I heard that it struggled on the base consoles.

The presentation is on August 12th, so not quite the end of the month.

Also - Biomutant just got announced for next-gen consoles, I feel like if a Switch version was coming it would've been announced together with them... and even if it were to come I doubt it would run all that well considering I heard that it struggled on the base consoles.
I didn't know the exact date, I assumed it was after Gamescom. Closer, the better.

Biomutant was leaked through some online retailers, including Gamestop, but I don't expect it to come to Switch that fast. Even though I mentioned, it still might be early for that.

I think some Nintendo fans need to touch grass. This level of "where is the marketing?" and blaming other post has become very toxic. Like TPC is a separate entity.

The goldfish mentality of wanting to get marketed too every second is an unhealthy habit. Go enjoy video games, dont be a muppet (no offense to Arlo).

Advertisement begging is the most dystopic pastime I can imagine.

If they announced a new Pikmin, I assure you I wouldn’t need a few Youtube videos to be excited.

I don’t know how many of y’all here play Beat Saber, but I’m here to tell you that Mission 29 can die in a fire. Playing that song on Expert while only being allowed to make five mistakes is insane. The score requirement is whatever, because you need to play nearly perfectly anyway. I've tried I don't know how many times to beat that mission. I kinda love the challenge, actually!

Advertisement begging is the most dystopic pastime I can imagine.

If they announced a new Pikmin, I assure you I wouldn’t need a few Youtube videos to be excited.
Thing is, it's not really 'advertisement begging', it's the concern that what we've seen so far from Splatoon 3, which is an evolutionary sequel that focuses more on meta changes and relatively small additions, is mostly all that we're gonna get for our $60 and 5 year wait. If Nintendo fails to show us otherwise, it's not on us to be excited by default, it's up to Nintendo to show us why that's not the case.

There's also the fact that Splatoon 3 is a multiplayer-focused title on the exact same system as its massively-successful predecessor. It's got a singleplayer component, but unlike your example of Pikmin, the primary focus on here is it being the new 'platform' for Splatoon for the next half-a-decade. If it doesn't excite people, and fails to capture a similar long-term userbase, then that hurts it much more in the long run than it would for a one-and-done singleplayer title. It's already going to inherently split the Splatoon userbase in a way the 1-to-2 transition simply couldn't, and it's up to Nintendo to make sure that split doesn't hurt one or both of the games.

I mean, there's a news story right now about how Call of Duty fans are "switching off in their millions," because of a single lacklustre CoD title; if that happens for Splatoon 3 (talking about the West - it's a guaranteed megahit in Japan ofc), then the fans and Nintendo will just have to deal with it, and do so for much, much longer. I don't expect Splatoon 3 to be a failure by any means, but like with Call of Duty a game 'merely' making megabucks is a failure in comparison to how it might have made gigabucks.

Of course this could all change, and Nintendo could wow us with a Splatoon 3 Direct this month which completely blows away expectations. And, of course, many people are still gonna buy the game - including me - and enjoy it very much. Being concerned that a game will merely be 'good' does not mean you think it's gonna be trash, after all. Buuuut, as Arlo said in his video, when we get to the point of "just wait! Nintendo's got a big trick up their sleeve with this one that will blow all the doubters minds!" it's more-likely-than-not that, no, they don't have that. Especially when it comes to multiplayer-focused titles, which have consistently proven to have lacking quantity and, in some cases, quality too.

Thing is, it's not really 'advertisement begging', it's the concern that what we've seen so far from Splatoon 3, which is an evolutionary sequel that focuses more on meta changes and relatively small additions, is mostly all that we're gonna get for our $60 and 5 year wait. If Nintendo fails to show us otherwise, it's not on us to be excited by default, it's up to Nintendo to show us why that's not the case.

There's also the fact that Splatoon 3 is a multiplayer-focused title on the exact same system as its massively-successful predecessor. It's got a singleplayer component, but unlike your example of Pikmin, the primary focus on here is it being the new 'platform' for Splatoon for the next half-a-decade. If it doesn't excite people, and fails to capture a similar long-term userbase, then that hurts it much more in the long run than it would for a one-and-done singleplayer title. It's already going to inherently split the Splatoon userbase in a way the 1-to-2 transition simply couldn't, and it's up to Nintendo to make sure that split doesn't hurt one or both of the games.

I mean, there's a news story right now about how Call of Duty fans are "switching off in their millions," because of a single lacklustre CoD title; if that happens for Splatoon 3 (talking about the West - it's a guaranteed megahit in Japan ofc), then the fans and Nintendo will just have to deal with it, and do so for much, much longer. I don't expect Splatoon 3 to be a failure by any means, but like with Call of Duty a game 'merely' making megabucks is a failure in comparison to how it might have made gigabucks.

Of course this could all change, and Nintendo could wow us with a Splatoon 3 Direct this month which completely blows away expectations. And, of course, many people are still gonna buy the game - including me - and enjoy it very much. Buuuut, as Arlo said in his video, when we get to the point of "just wait! Nintendo's got a big trick up their sleeve with this one!" it's more-likely-than-not that, no, they don't have that. Especially when it comes to multiplayer-focused titles, which have consistently proven to have lacking quantity and, in some cases, quality too.
Don’t buy the game. You don’t need it! It’s okay to see what they’ve shown so far, shrug, and walk away. You don’t need to be convinced!

I understand the concern people have for Splatoon 3. I even agree that it looks identical to 2 and I know I won't be buying it. But weren't people similarly concerned about Animal Crossing back in early 2020? Then Nintendo dropped all that info like two weeks before the game launched and it all turned out ok.

on the subject of Splatoon 3, it’ll be interesting to find out what the “Rise of the Mammalians” actually ends up looking like

because really there are all kinds of things that could mea—

JX1mIuL.jpg

Was content really ever a problem with the series tho? Most criticism always came from how they handle map rotation, mode rotation and the infamous intro sequences. The budget for Splatoon 3 is surely astronomically higher then for Mario Strikers for example.

Ok should be able to wrap up the effort part of my current project and get back to cyberslueth so I can finish that and hopefully start xbc3 this weekend

There was some horse magic going on last night! Missed near all of it, haha, but it gave me the chance to take 5 minutes of my day "Yeah!"-ing a bunch of horse images!

...more horses:

ZZ0rpBI.gif

Just woke up after 12 hours sleep. Transatlantic travel really wipes me out with this chronic condition, hoo boy. I am still exhausted.

I have opened and looked at my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 3, though. Once I'm a little more alive it's back to Live Alive so I can start XBC3 later this week.
Dang, I can't imagine! That's got to be exhausting, especially coupled with the time changes and other headaches from travel.

You'll get to be a little more alive to play Live A Live in time, and can live a more alive life of living the Live a Live life, which is a life worth living!

I don’t know how many of y’all here play Beat Saber, but I’m here to tell you that Mission 29 can die in a fire. Playing that song on Expert while only being allowed to make five mistakes is insane. The score requirement is whatever, because you need to play nearly perfectly anyway. I've tried I don't know how many times to beat that mission. I kinda love the challenge, actually!
Beat Saber looks like a lot of fun! Do you like it overall?

Don’t buy the game. You don’t need it! It’s okay to see what they’ve shown so far, shrug, and walk away. You don’t need to be convinced!
It seems like you didn't even read my post because I literally said I'm still going to buy the game lol
And, of course, many people are still gonna buy the game - including me - and enjoy it very much.

I understand the concern people have for Splatoon 3. I even agree that it looks identical to 2 and I know I won't be buying it. But weren't people similarly concerned about Animal Crossing back in early 2020? Then Nintendo dropped all that info like two weeks before the game launched and it all turned out ok.
I thought most people were hyped at the idea of New Horizons having an entirely-new crafting system and island-building formula; it was a fresh take on the franchise that made a ton of sense. Most concern was that the game would lack a lot of the content and character that other games had and, well, it did at launch and still kinda does even to this day.

Of course there is always gonna be people who are overly concerned. Like those folks who thought Mario Odyssey was gonna be an auto-runner because of a 1-second clip in the Switch reveal, or the people who were adamant that BotW wouldn't have towns. But in the case of Splatoon 3, we've had multiple big trailers and many Twitter drops and the concerns are still there, so I'd say it's fair to be a bit concerned that there might not be some "big blowout," coming.

Was content really ever a problem with the series tho? Most criticism always came from how they handle map rotation, mode rotation and the infamous intro sequences. The budget for Splatoon 3 is surely astronomically higher then for Mario Strikers for example.
The thing with Splatoon 1 and 2 was that they launched with a relatively tiny amount of content, then got significantly bigger as time went by. So, with Splatoon 3, I doubt that the game - when its content lifespan is finished - will be as bereft of concept as Mario Strikers is likely to be, but it'll definitely be a bit rough having to play "catch up" again if 3 launches with less than 10 maps. Especially with the way they handle map rotation which makes actually engaging with that content needlessly arbitrary and luck-based.

Last edited:

Coincidence that this was found nearly 13 years ago? You be the judge!

Thank you. I feel like this always happens with every major tentpole release, it's just Nintendo prefers to drop knowledge bombs in the final weeks before release. Probably because it's easier to convert hype to purchases when you're closer to a time when people can take actual action.

I don't see much different between the Splatoon 3 marketing and what they did with XC3: regular twitter drip-feed of minutiae for several months followed by a blow-out Direct 2-4 weeks before launch. The Twitter stuff is enough to keep the existing hardcore audience engaged, while the Direct will cover everyone who's either more casually interested or curious about the game.

God yes. Beat Saber is like a cross between Guitar Hero and DDR. It's amazing.
Ah man, that sounds great! I haven't gotten into VR yet, but that's a game that really looks like a blast and something unique to it! Glad that you're liking it! I'll have to pick that one up first when I jump in to VR!

Coincidence that this was found nearly 13 years ago? You be the judge!
Oh gosh, totally forgot about that thing, haha! If they don't release this thing for Switch (1-2 sequel?!?), I'll lose it!

I love this theme:

That sounds awesome, haha, I like that too!

I’m in fun spot of getting absorbed in another project that I’m finally wrapping up today so I can finish another game so I can hopefully start xbc3 this weekend

Day 4 of not being able to work on my game and I'm very upset that I cannot at the moment create a Flynoceros or a Foxy Lady.

Splatway

Splat Fresh
tried to get images to make a more like splathay joke but instead discovered that wet hay is literally a spontaneous combustion risk??

once again nature is the greatest horse incinerator of them all

What do people expect for August's N64 game? We have no roadmap, so shot in the dark...maybe Wave Race 64?
I do think we could get another roadmap by reup time in October if they’ve got some good third parties lined up.

Could be anything, but unless it’s a big surprise and that’s why no roadmap yet, probably something more low key like 1080, Excitebike or wave race. Tho I do wonder why they did both custom robo’s last month when they could’ve done another western only game like CRUIS’N usa. That could indicate something bigger

In the midst of playing Xenoblade 3, I'd like to take a moment to just highlight what an impressive resumé Takahashi and Saga has built up over the years.

• A fantastic adventure and a pinnacle game of the legendary Squaresoft era.
  • A great and unusual cult classic JRPG series for the PS2.
  • A state-of-the art open world game.
  • ANOTHER fantastic JRPG trilogy that is among the best of the best in the genre on one of gaming history's most lucrative consoles.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I am not going to push the panic button on Splatoon 3 at the moment, but we are basically a month out and it feels like we don't know much. Hopefully a Splat 3 Direct is imminent.

I'm still shocked that the original Xenoblade 1 was even made. For context, it came at a time where Japanese developers, JRPG developers in particular, were struggling to make quality games on the HD consoles. You had some decent ones on 360 and PS3 but they were being eclipsed by games made in the West. So image a relatively newly acquired Nintendo studio who is known for making mostly linear cult-classic RPGs proposes to make a new game, then called Monado: The Beginning of the World, a new IP, for the Wii. The game will dwarf other JRPGs in size, on weaker hardware, while also being story rich and cinematic. Oh, and the composer team will be stacked with some of the industries best. And it's semi-open world with a hundred hours of gameplay.

In terms of scope, this was a massive undertaking with enough risk that any other publisher or developer would put their full weight behind to ensure that it doesn't fail. But it did get approved by Nintendo and with the seeming belief that the game would probably still be pretty niche. It had to be all that Wii and DS money Nintendo had at the time. They were willing to take a risk with Xenoblade because they were making fat loads of cash elsewhere.

I'm still shocked that the original Xenoblade 1 was even made. For context, it came at a time where Japanese developers, JRPG developers in particular, were struggling to make quality games on the HD consoles. You had some decent ones on 360 and PS3 but they were being eclipsed by games made in the West. So image a relatively newly acquired Nintendo studio who is known for making mostly linear cult-classic RPGs proposes to make a new game, then called Monado: The Beginning of the World, a new IP, for the Wii. The game will dwarf other JRPGs in size, on weaker hardware, while also being story rich and cinematic. Oh, and the composer team will be stacked with some of the industries best. And it's semi-open world with a hundred hours of gameplay.

In terms of scope, this was a massive undertaking with enough risk that any other publisher or developer would put their full weight behind to ensure that it doesn't fail. But it did get approved by Nintendo and with the seeming belief that the game would probably still be pretty niche. It had to be all that Wii and DS money Nintendo had at the time. They were willing to take a risk with Xenoblade because they were making fat loads of cash elsewhere.
I saw people on the other forum yesterday speculating that they could’ve made the game and Bamco and it would’ve been multiplatform. I really don’t think the game could have existed without Nintendo though.

I saw people on the other forum yesterday speculating that they could’ve made the game and Bamco and it would’ve been multiplatform. I really don’t think the game could have existed without Nintendo though.

The same Namco that made Tales of Vesperia (timed) exclusive to the Xbox 360? And Vesperia is great and all, but it's not even the same ballpark in terms of scope. Not to mention that Nintendo owned Monolith Soft at the time so why would they allow them to make a new IP with Namco?

The same Namco that made Tales of Vesperia (timed) exclusive to the Xbox 360? And Vesperia is great and all, but it's not even the same ballpark in terms of scope. Not to mention that Nintendo owned Monolith Soft at the time so why would they allow them to make a new IP with Namco?
It was in the hypothetical timeline where Nintendo didn’t buy them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom