• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread |ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody's 11-12 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else feel like they sort of anthropomorphize the systems that formed a big part of their life, or is it just me?

For instance, the SNES was like that childhood friend that introduced me to a whole new world and with whom I spent endless hours in unforgettable adventures. The N64 was that slightly edgier mate who stood by me in the transition to high school and my teens and showed me all new ways of having fun.
The Wii welcomed me to adulthood with a big warm hug, told me everthing was gonna be okay.
The Switch walked with me through some of the toughest times of my life including facing down cancer and a pandemic, and offered joyous escapism when I needed it most.

Been a while since I’ve done a food post.

Crispy cheesy tacos with avocado cilantro crema:

967-AD4-F4-B018-4135-82-DE-63-A41-C687-DDF.jpg

Cuban sheet pan steak with roasted potato, pepper, and onion and mango avocado chimichurri:

1-AFD1-B35-FF45-43-CC-AC54-3-F9652-AC2347.jpg

Well turns out my power went completely out while I was trying to flip the breaker to fix the entire house. Should be back in a hour but now it’s hot and humid

I assure you that once I get that sweet sweet dev portal access I will give famiboards

𝔞𝔟𝔰𝔬𝔩𝔲𝔱𝔢𝔩𝔶 𝔫𝔬 𝔦𝔫𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔪𝔞𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫

because no way in hell am I jeopardizing that even though y’all are great

I will, however, continue to be a menace
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Also

I had a VERY BAD Subway experience today. I don’t want to talk about it
Did the FBI raid your Subway or something?

Lot of that going around lately

Anyone else feel like they sort of anthropomorphize the systems that formed a big part of their life, or is it just me?

For instance, the SNES was like that childhood friend that introduced me to a whole new world and with whom I spent endless hours in unforgettable adventures. The N64 was that slightly edgier mate who stood by me in the transition to high school and my teens and showed me all new ways of having fun.
The Wii welcomed me to adulthood with a big warm hug, told me everthing was gonna be okay.
The Switch walked with me through some of the toughest times of my life including facing down cancer and a pandemic, and offered joyous escapism when I needed it most.
My high school girlfriend called my DSi my soul

I have my NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Wii U, and Switch all on display in a set of cubbies beside my tv. I've taken great care to keep them safe all my life across multiple moves. I just call them "my buddies."

What’s up! I haven’t been around today because I’ve been very busy with work. I miss anything?

Also

I had a VERY BAD Subway experience today. I don’t want to talk about it
  • Splatoon Direct inkoming Wednesday
  • I dropped a Grögol video with partial battle animations / control and also a list of terrible mistakes you could make when Bonanzing
  • Skittzo ate a fly gold pyramid swamp rhinoceros magic might
  • other careening

Cuban sheet pan steak with roasted potato, pepper, and onion and mango avocado chimichurri:

Its the middle of the night and now I am starving lolol they look really good!!!

Thank heavens I saw this after I’d already eaten lunch. Dat steak!

I view the Steam ecosystem as much safer and better all around, so that's where Im buying my games from.

I never know when Nintendo get's stupid and does some stupid shit and since the yare a walled garden, there isn't much you can do about it.
Yeah, the wider ecosystem implications have certainly been an argument in favour of principally buying everything other than Switch only games on PC/Steam instead, so that not only can I play them across my different Windows/Linux devices right now, but also across multiple (console) hardware generations. Not having to rely on a platform operator like Nintendo or Sony for aspects like backwards compatibility or updating/upgrading software for newer hardware, rather doing it myself via the settings, is a huge plus in my book for sure! Not having to pay 60 bucks for some basic resolution, texture quality and framerate increases is also a nice bonus, lol.

I generally have to say that, ever since seriously investing in PC gaming around two years ago, I've been much more critical of how closed ecosystems aka console vendors do business. From a PC gaming perspective, some of the stuff they're pulling is wild, paying for things that should absolutely be free or not as walled/locked-up as they are, but ... people still pay for that, they simply play along. And I kind of get it, given that I've been and still partially continue to be part of those very same ecosystems, like with the Switch.

Then again, it's obviously not all great and flowery on the PC side of things as well, but I've found that I generally get more out of the underlying platform than I do on consoles these days. Still, the advantages the latter bring to the table still keep me invested in console ecosystems as well (well, Switch only these days, but hey, that's something!). And it's not like I can't appreciate what consoles offer as advantages either, like the more streamlined experience overall, the pick-up-and-play nature, which is especially great for something like a Switch with its hybrid nature. And I could never miss out on Nintendo's first party software and some of their third party collaborations. Shit's just too good to pass up, haha.

Funny enough just tried Stray and it's running sub 30 fps on the deck...switch port when?

Also I have to play with it sitting on my table because it's too hot. What the frig dude!!!
Yeah, I've read that Stray doesn't do too well on the Deck so far. Not sure whether that's due to Proton, the game not being super optimised, the hardware it's running on (I'd be surprised if that's the culprit though) or a mixture of all of these. SteamOS 3.3, that is the latest stable OS release, has some issues in and of itself, which doesn't really help. Other games have seen significant performance drops as well, like Witcher 3, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, losing up to 10 fps in some cases. Valve need to get their shit together in that regard. The UX still is way too unreliable and unstable in my eyes overall, even though it's generally solid if/when it works well.

The temp issues are new to me though. Can't say I've seen it getting hotter than around 80°C here. And that's pretty high already, usually mine has been hovering around 65-70°C in most titles.

Yeah, but what if Capcom bought Bamco, kicked Harada's butt, and green-lit a new Street Fighter X Tekken? What if I played middle-manager to strike a deal between Nintendo and Sega for them to develop a new F-Zero?

You think Nintendo would have squandered Minecraft?
I think they wouldn't have allowed it on any hardware it wasn't already on, apart from their own, after the purchase.

Best case scenario, spin-offs are allowed on mobile, like with Pokemon. But it'd be a Nintendo property, and Nintendo would treat it as such. They don't share.

What's the odds of the icons on the Nintendo online app to cycle again to Xenoblade Chronicles 3 eventually..?

I missed the first set of icons since I wasn't aware that they were a thing. It's the first time that there's icons for a game I really care about (Xenoblade and Fire Emblem had zero icons previously), and while I'm happy that one of them is finally available, I'm kind of miffled that I missed the icon I would have preffered using.

I am so glad Nintendo didn't buy Minecraft, are you kidding me??? I can play it with anybody on anything

I recently started playing Minecraft again from time to time
Famiboards Minecraft Server when

Could never get into Minecraft. My kid loves it, or did. She would spend so much time on the Wii U version and make cool things. I would play with her, but yeah, do not have the patience for building all those things lol

So my wife was telling my daughter about Sims, and she was intrigued. My PS3 is in her room, and well, I remembered I had a copy of Sims 3 that a friend had given my wife years ago. Needless to say, she is having a blast.

Which brings me to this question.... why the fuck is Sims not on Switch? I feel bad cause she goes back to Maine this weekend.

What's the odds of the icons on the Nintendo online app to cycle again to Xenoblade Chronicles 3 eventually..?

I missed the first set of icons since I wasn't aware that they were a thing. It's the first time that there's icons for a game I really care about (Xenoblade and Fire Emblem had zero icons previously), and while I'm happy that one of them is finally available, I'm kind of miffled that I missed the icon I would have preffered using.
I missed the first wave too and I wanted the Monado-like sword one. They'll probably rotate back around at some point since we're already seeing repeats of Kirby.

Which brings me to this question.... why the fuck is Sims not on Switch? I feel bad cause she goes back to Maine this weekend.
Two guesses:
1. The Maxis-Nintendo partnership was probably driven by a combination of Wright, Miyamoto, Iwata. With two of the three no longer involved things just collapsed.
2. Or more broadly, EA just no longer cares for Nintendo as a target platform for the franchise (mobile probably more than makes up for it) and couldn't get The Sims 4 to run on the hardware without building a Switch specific version. My understanding is that the current console versions are nearly direct ports (mouse/keyboard controls and all) of the PC version for the first time which brought its own special set of headaches.

It's a downright shame, Nintendo Power coverage of SNES SimCity got me interested in the game and then I found out it was on PC and there was a bunch of other similar games made by Maxis and that hooked me on their stuff for probably a solid 2 years of my childhood, and I still keep their games installed on my computer. Along with bespoke titles like Yoot Tower and Bullfrog's management sims.

I just realized that we have already got a release date for Sonic 3 the movie which is releasing in 2024 while for Sonic Frontiers that should release this year we only know it should release during holidays. I know this is due to the differences between industries but still feels so weird lol

The villains in Xenoblade 3 feel like what the judges in Final Fantasy XII should have been. The marketing built them up and they just kind exist in the final product. Granted, the story in 12 was one of its weak points. But taking on a judge didn't feel any more significant than fighting some random general.

I just realized that we have already got a release date for Sonic 3 the movie which is releasing in 2024 while for Sonic Frontiers that should release this year we only know it should release during holidays. I know this is due to the differences between industries but still feels so weird lol

The marketing around Sonic Frontiers has been weird throughout. If it is coming this year, then they definitely have to know a release date internally by now. If they truly believe that it's coming out this year, then it's odd that Sega is still keeping the date a secret this close to its potential release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom