• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know if we will see Prime 4 at “E3” when Metroid Prime remaster is announced. A direct with BotW 2 and Metroid Prime 4. I might pass out
As great as this Direct was, I actually think that this E3 will be even better for me. Xenoblade 3 and BOTW2 are both guaranteed to be there (barring something very strange happening), plus very likely Metroid Prime 1/and or maybe even 4. That trilogy of games alone will make it a top-tier Direct for me, but there's so much other stuff that could be there on top of that that will elevate it even more.

You're forgetting Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokemon S&S in 2019 and Pokemon BDSP (and SMTV, sort of, even though it's much smaller) in 2021. But all of those were already announced by E3 as well.

So I think @Dark Cloud is right, other than 2020. The holiday games have always been announced by E3, although maybe not dated yet.
yeah I was only looking at games announced at the start of the year. But yes, e3 is when already announced games are dated for the holidays. Only exception is Pokemon but Nintendo doesn't handle the marketing for that.

EDIT: oh and Dread! But I firmly believe that's an anomaly from the pandemic. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be announced earlier.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t we gone into every E3 knowing what the holiday game was before E3? Like the game was already announced except for 2020 when E3 was cancelled due to Covid.
In 2017,18 and 19 they followed this pattern. All major games including the holiday title were announced before E3 and the E3 Direct “only” detailed them.

Since 2021 they have a different approach where every Direct has basically the same function and scope, showing games for the next 4-6 months. Last E3 Direct announced most stuff for H2 2021, this years Feb Direct announced most stuff for H1 of 2022.

Speaking of Pokemon, we will (likely) know what we're getting this holiday from Pokemon in around two weeks here. My current bet is on Arceus DLC in November, that seems like the perfect way to still have some Pokemon content for the holiday but be smaller and on the lower-key side while they gear up for Gen 9 in 2023.

Well only thing i can remember and that's before Switch era. E3 2013 - Super Mario 3D World announced at E3 2013 and released in Holiday (well game was "technically announced" in January 2013 Direct but that was really i non announcement).
I too remember the desperation Wii U Direct letting us know about Mario Kart and 3D Mario lol.

As great as this Direct was, I actually think that this E3 will be even better for me. Xenoblade 3 and BOTW2 are both guaranteed to be there (barring something very strange happening), plus very likely Metroid Prime 1/and or maybe even 4. That trilogy of games alone will make it a top-tier Direct for me, but there's so much other stuff that could be there on top of that that will elevate it even more.
Yeppers. As great as this direct was a combination of Metroid Prime, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and BotW 2 is even better. Like this might be the greatest year ever for directs.

I have something that I wanted to say for since the Direct, but didn’t have the time this week.
I'm glad that Marios isn't appearing a lot on Directs lately. I think Mario only had 1 game in September and one game now.
I know this is hyperbole, but I felt during the Wii U and 3DS era, Mario showed up a lot on the Directs. It just shows how diversified Nintendo is now and how many third parties are back on board.

Speaking of Pokemon, we will (likely) know what we're getting this holiday from Pokemon in around two weeks here. My current bet is on Arceus DLC in November, that seems like the perfect way to still have some Pokemon content for the holiday but be smaller and on the lower-key side while they gear up for Gen 9 in 2023.
If we get the Pokémon Direct the end of this month/first week of March I think we get dlc for Arceus in October/November and Detective Pikachu 2 for August.

Nothing too fancy, I guess the 4K rumors will pan out and DLSS will be a thing.. maybe with a toggle system-wide so you can choose to save battery? Maybe a new pair of JoyCons will follow as well.

But I doubt it will be something that will be a big jump from the base model, just a slight improvement.

To me thats as fancy as a revision could ever be, If there's DLSS it's a big jump both on performance and on internals.
I think theres going to be a revision - but on a much smaller scale.

I mean, this???
Every now and then people act like Nintendo just doesn't need literally their biggest release of the year that was announced in 2019, or that they can just push forward a 3D Mario game we don't even know the existence of to fill the gaps, or that Mario makes more sense due to the movie(like Nintendo didn't know the movie would be holiday 2022 even before they knew Zelda would be 2022).
Things just aren't this way people. It's not like Nintendo can delay their biggest release without taking a hit from it. 2020 was the only Switch year that didn't see a 10m+ release in Q4. That's because Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury was delayed. Also we can't say for certain Monster Hunter Rise wasn't at some point planned for a holiday 2020 release.
If Zelda is delayed, of course we'll still have a huge lineup of Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime Remaster, probably Fire Emblem and something else. But neither of them are new mainline Zelda, nor Pokémon, nor Mario Party, nor 3D Mario, nor Luigi's Mansion. Pokémon got remakes and then a semi-open world new instalment in January, that's not getting a new release this holiday season, let's not freak out expecting it this year people. Mario Party released last year. 3D Mario... Well, we didn't have an announcement, nor any insider claiming it to be coming this year. Luigi's Mansion won't be possible due to NLG probably being behind Mario Strikers. That leaves us with Zelda, that, shockingly, was announced in 2019 and is dated for this year.
The other possible game would be 2D Mario or Ring Fit, and those were previously announced very close to release, so they might still happen. But again: 2019 had Ring Fit, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokémon in the same quarter. And that was with Animal Crossing being delayed. 2018 also had Pokémon, Smash and NSMBU in January 2019. Either way all of those years had THE big star, being respectively Pokémon Sword and Shield and Smash. I won't be shocked to have BOTW 2 as THE holiday title while also having a 2D Mario and/or a big casual game in Q4.

Yep!

I think the only reason to why 3D World + BF was delayed was because of the massive Switch sales this year and ofc the insane success of AC - It had sold 26M at the time of the holiday and was certain it could carry the holidays without 3D world in with the current Switch momentum.

2022 is different - Switch is getting older, hardware momentum is slowing down compared to 2020 and the situation is not the same as peak switch year.
DLC for Arceus and Bayonetta 3 would be a great start, but wont carry a holiday quarter alone.

If we get the Pokémon Direct the end of this month/first week of March I think we get dlc for Arceus in October/November and Detective Pikachu 2 for August.
I agree. And also a hint of Gen 9. Something like what with Sword and Shield when it was announced that year.

Watching this new 6 minute gameplay video of the new Kirby game makes me wonder what could have been Balan Wonderworld. Not entirely the same depth as Kirby but the ability to use so many powerups in a platformer. Kirby looks like so much fun and I'm glad I preordered it.

I think that's the case for 3D Mario too. KATFL is a really big deal for Nintendo, it's the first 3D Kirby game and has a ton of hype around it, even from non-Kirby fans. 3D DK or Mario could steal the spotlight from that.
Yeah, definitely. Something like a Super Mario Odyssey 2 releasing this holiday would probably take out the legs of that season for Kirby. An announcement would take alway the spotlight if it was made last Direct. I think 3D Mario makes way more sense next year than this year.

Didn't they confirm both the original Detective Pikachu and a sequel? I'm sure we'll finally see one of those this year right?

I wonder if the reason why they haven't revealed the new DK yet is because it's 3D and they don't want it stepping on the toes of Kirby and vice versa.
I think it's plausible. A big 3D platformer reveal now would steal Kirby's thunder somewhat, similar to how a mainline FE reveal now would steal the limelight for similar games coming soon.

Definitely seems like Nintendo's main issue at the moment isn't 'getting games ready for launch' but instead it's 'when can we launch these games without eating into each other's sales'.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t we gone into every E3 knowing what the holiday game was before E3? Like the game was already announced except for 2020 when E3 was cancelled due to Covid.
Yes. Super Mario Odyssey was revealed at the Switch event in January, Smash at the march Direct, Pokémon Sword and Shield at a Pokémon presents in February iirc and BDSP also at a Pokémon presents.
We could make a case for "supporting" holiday releases tho, namely Super Mario Party, Metroid Dread and Mario Party Superstars being announced at E3, and Ring Fit Adventure and Age of Calamity being announced by their own 1-2 months before release.

Weirdly, nobody's debating about God Of War Ragnarok being delayed to 2023 despite having only 1 trailer and the past story of Sony exclusive titles of being delayed : Horizon 2, TLOU2 but when it comes to BOTW2 people are SURE that it will be delayed. As if Zelda hasn't the power to carry the Holiday by itself and have to release in March to echo 2017. The game has been revealed in 2019 with a cinematic trailer and a teaser last year, multiple allusions about a 2022 release and more. I don't know what people need tbh.

The first half of the year is PACKED already, if BOTW2 was internally already delayed to 2023 then Xenoblade would not release in September imo.
Definitely, Xenoblade's release date is a very good sign.

If Zelda isn't the holiday title only a massive megaton announcement would appropriately take it's place. And sorry, but a remake of Metroid Prime 1 or ports of Windwaker and Twilight Princess HD simply wouldn't cut it. I don't even think a 2D DK game would cut. Don't want to insinuate that 2D games are bad either! I'd be stoked for that game.

It has to 100% be Zelda. And if it's not Zelda, Nintendo has to have a shocking announcement like Mario Odyssey 2.

I think they're confident Zelda is coming out this year. Their actions strongly suggest this to be the case.

Agree 100%

I've seen so many people act like delaying Zelda to March is no big deal. Nintendo will somehow be cool with it. Couldn't get the most anticipated game of all time out in time for holiday sales. Let's just shrug our shoulders and pretend we're totally fine with that!

That's not how business works at all lmao. It would be a major disappointment for Nintendo to miss out on potentially huge holiday sales from Zelda. They're gonna give it their maximum effort.
EXACTLY. IIRC stock prices got hit when Nintendo announced the reboot of Metroid Prime 4 and the delay of Animal Crossing New Horizons.
It's the most anticipated game since Animal Crossing, the absolute beast of the year and the most important release for the second half of the year. It can be delayed like any game can, but pretending it's way more likely than being released is kinda stretching.

EXACTLY. IIRC stock prices got hit when Nintendo announced the reboot of Metroid Prime 4 and the delay of Animal Crossing New Horizons.
It's the most anticipated game since Animal Crossing, the absolute beast of the year and the most important release for the second half of the year. It can be delayed like any game can, but pretending it's way more likely than being released is kinda stretching.
IIRC, Nintendo lost a billion in value when AC was delayed. That's probably something that Nintendo doesn’t want to do with BOTW2, unless it's really necessary.

I agree 2D DK won’t cut it either. We’re talking 10+ million seller.

It’s either:

BotW 2
3D Mario
3D DK
2D Mario

Or we’re all doomed

To me thats as fancy as a revision could ever be, If there's DLSS it's a big jump both on performance and on internals.
Unless I understood it completely wrong, DLSS is just an upscaling trick to get games up to 4K, isn't it? Since it's not actually native 4K, and considering all the components and portability of the Switch, I think it's doable.. but still, I suggested a toggle because I don't think Nintendo can improve battery life much more anyway, and if they do, they'd save that point for next hybrid system.

A new pair of JoyCons is also wishful thinking, I suppose; but that also would need to be compatible with older Switch models.

Definitely, Xenoblade's release date is a very good sign.

If Zelda isn't the holiday title only a massive megaton announcement would appropriately take it's place. And sorry, but a remake of Metroid Prime 1 or ports of Windwaker and Twilight Princess HD simply wouldn't cut it. I don't even think a 2D DK game would cut. Don't want to insinuate that 2D games are bad either! I'd be stoked for that game.

It has to 100% be Zelda. And if it's not Zelda, Nintendo has to have a shocking announcement like Mario Odyssey 2.

I think they're confident Zelda is coming out this year. Their actions strongly suggest this to be the case.
A 2D DK is an easy 5 million. Maybe even more with it being a new DK game on the highly successful Switch. Of course, a 3D DK has the potential to be the best selling DK game ever overthrowing DKC's 9 million.

A 2D DK is an easy 5 million. Maybe even more with it being a new DK game on the highly successful Switch. Of course, a 3D DK has the potential to be the best selling DK game ever overthrowing DKC's 9 million.
I'm sure a DK game would do really well. But Zelda releasing in November will easily break 10 million by March 2023. Maybe even reach 15 million. It is by far their most important future release. It would be biggest holiday release of all time. It would be a huge missed opportunity to miss out on those sales.

Of course we're gonna have Metroid Prime Remaster and Bayonetta 3 at the second half, maybe even a new Fire Emblem. But all of those are 1-5 million at best sellers. They sure as hell aren't games that carry the holidays. Not like BotW 2 will. I mean, last year we had Metroid Dread in the holiday season, but we got Pokémon remakes and a Mario Party as well.
Yep, I think people are forgetting this. If Nintendo delay Zelda, they need a couple of commercially big titles to carry the holidays. Pokemon probably isn't an option; Mario Party isn't an option; Smash isn't an option; Animal Crossing isn't an option (probably, maybe a spin off is coming from NdCube); Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime, and Bayonetta 3 will be exciting and excellent (assuming some or all of them release), but at best they're going to shift 3 million copies this side of Christmas.

It's not impossible or even improbable that Nintendo provide another big seller for Christmas, for sure - especially not with EPD 8, 9, and 10 not really accounted for. But Zelda is the obvious answer to the question.

2D Mario is plausible for the holidays because it would stand out from the other releases but I just can't see Nintendo releasing 3D Mario this year.

That's an absolutely massive game that will get most people excited for the Switch's future. Save it after you've depleted many of the current big guns like BotW2, Splatoon 3, and so on. I also think putting big 3D Mario and Zelda games in the same holiday is a waste.

yeah I was only looking at games announced at the start of the year. But yes, e3 is when already announced games are dated for the holidays. Only exception is Pokemon but Nintendo doesn't handle the marketing for that.

EDIT: oh and Dread! But I firmly believe that's an anomaly from the pandemic. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be announced earlier.
I think Dread was always meant to be released sooner after reveal. They did the same thing with Samus Returns, as they announced at E3 for September release, and are definitely doing the same with Prime Remaster as it was absent from February Direct, so it's an E3 reveal for probably an October-December launch. The elephant in the room is MP4, announced at 2017(probably for a 2020 launch before the reboot), rebooted in 2019. I think it'll be shown again this E3 for a release holiday 2023. Kinda same scheme as 2D Zelda vs 3D Zelda, where 2D is release the same year(LA) and 3D is supposed to be release the holiday of the following year but never happens due to delays.

I too remember the desperation Wii U Direct letting us know about Mario Kart and 3D Mario lol.
That Direct also announced the holiday title of 2015(Xenoblade Chronicles X) and the launch title of the Wii U successor(Zelda U being confirmed to be coming, later in a documentary series we came to know it was starting development that same month)!!

I do agree with the consensus though that the latter half of the year is a lot of core targeted games that will sell 1 to 3m each. Nintendo needs a big general audience game and BotW2 is the best they have so far for that.

There's still room for unannounced games too. We could see the next project from Good Feel get announced which would be nice counter programming to a lot of teen/adult targeted games later this year. Like I think there's at least 2 more games we don't know about, because I can't see the Q4 lineup be Bayo 3, Prime HD, and BotW2 alone. Bayo and Prime are small releases and could share months with other games honestly.

I also agree that Xenoblade's September date suggests that they are very bullish about their holiday lineup, and BOTW2 certainly makes the most sense.

Yep!

I think the only reason to why 3D World + BF was delayed was because of the massive Switch sales this year and ofc the insane success of AC - It had sold 26M at the time of the holiday and was certain it could carry the holidays without 3D world in with the current Switch momentum.

2022 is different - Switch is getting older, hardware momentum is slowing down compared to 2020 and the situation is not the same as peak switch year.
DLC for Arceus and Bayonetta 3 would be a great start, but wont carry a holiday quarter alone.
Exactly. Pokémon Legends Arceus will definitely get another boost during the holidays, but not even close to the monster that ACNH was in 2020, where it carried the year basically alone actually. I think SM3DW+BF was delayed because the team needed more time on it tho.

Just my dream if BotW 2 weren’t to come, but I’d take 3D DK over anything else. The Switch is the system where some dreams come true. I’ve wanted a new 3D DK for decades. I really liked DK64, but I recognize how bloated it was. Just oof on the collectibles. I’ll take 3D DK by EPD 8.

Detective Pikachu 2 is gonna be Nintendo big holiday game TAKE THIS BOTW2
I know it's sarcasm but had Detective Pikachu released on the Switch instead of the 3DS and more cross promoted with the movie I think it would have been a massive success back then.

Didn't they confirm both the original Detective Pikachu and a sequel? I'm sure we'll finally see one of those this year right?
Only the sequel. But it's possible they're also remastering the original, which would explain why it's taking so long.

Oh yeah Detective Pikachu 2 could be this holiday and would fit nicely among the lineup.

I don’t blame anyone for thinking that BOTW2 could be delayed into 2023. Breath of the Wild saw multiple delays after getting the same “20XX” release windows that BOTW2 has right now. Nintendo knows that they can’t mess up this game, so they will give it as much time as they need. If the Zelda team needs another 3 months to finish the game, I don’t think Nintendo will say “no lol it has to be our holiday title.” Especially when we see games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have huge sales boosts in the holiday season, showing that while a big holiday title is nice, they will still see solid sales from their evergreen titles.

Just my dream if BotW 2 weren’t to come, but I’d take 3D DK over anything else. The Switch is the system where some dreams come true. I’ve wanted a new 3D DK for decades. I really liked DK64, but I recognize how bloated it was. Just oof on the collectibles. I’ll take 3D DK by EPD 8.
Hell yeah, I'll +1 to that. Nintendo, DC and I would like to order one 3D DK by EPD 8, please

So it's something that's been happening since the 3DS era, but how do you feel about RPGs being a bigger thing to Nintendo.

Personally I love but it, but every so often online and in from some outlets you get the lamentation that RPGs are a waste of time and the core of nintendo is being lost

personally Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are the main reason I even buy Nintendo consoles to begin with

I also care about Mario Kart and am hyped for Bayonetta and somewhat interested in Kirby right now but their rpgs are what actually gets me to buy systems, I only bought a switch when it had both Xenoblade and fire emblem out and in the past i've bought handhelds pretty much purely because of Fire Emblem and I basically bought a Wii U because of Xenoblade X

Yes, but after Dread, a 5 million isn't impossible for Prime Remaster. And Zelda ports potentially can do it too. We're getting those, maybe we can get DK(hopefully actually, I'm eager to play a Switch DK). But when talking about a "replacement" for Zelda, we're talking about a game that can blow 10m easily, and maybe a 20m seller. It's only Pokémon, 2D Mario with a major triumphant return or 3D Mario to do the job.

I'm sure a DK game would do really well. But Zelda releasing in November will easily break 10 million by March 2023. Maybe even reach 15 million. It is by far their most important future release. It would be biggest holiday release of all time. It would be a huge missed opportunity to miss out on those sales.
It will make 10m+ by December with no difficulty, tbh. That's the monster we're talking about. And that's why I don't see any other game than 3D Mario as an actual replacement, as Smash, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are out and Pokemon already had Arceus.

I'm very curious how long of a marketing cycle Nintendo gives to Prime HD. Like I wouldn't put it past them to announce it in the September Direct and then release it a month or two later.

Either way I'm feeling super confident that that game's reveal is tied to Prime 4. Making the triumphant return of Retro Studios is so obvious of a play that they could do in either the finale of the June or September Directs.

While I don't see Zelda being delayed for next year, the franchise is at a very healthy stage where it releasing next year wouldn't hurt it much.

DK, on the other hand, does much better releasing during the holidays as evident by the release of both Tropical Freeze games. Past games were always release during the holidays, and they always did exceptionally well. TF broke that mold, and judging from the sales of it, Nintendo didn't do that game any favors.

I don't know, I can see a scenario where they delay Zelda to give DK that space. as small as that chance is.

I don’t blame anyone for thinking that BOTW2 could be delayed into 2023. Breath of the Wild saw multiple delays after getting the same “20XX” release windows that BOTW2 has right now. Nintendo knows that they can’t mess up this game, so they will give it as much time as they need. If the Zelda team needs another 3 months to finish the game, I don’t think Nintendo will say “no lol it has to be our holiday title.” Especially when we see games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have huge sales boosts in the holiday season, showing that while a big holiday title is nice, they will still see solid sales from their evergreen titles.
If the game needs more time for quality reasons of course delay it.

But most people in this thread are saying that given Nintendo's actions, and given what we know coming out of this direct, it doesn't make sense to be so pessimistic about Zelda coming out this year.

This past direct nothing was dated past September when in the past, Nintendo has usually announced their holiday title in February or announced a holiday title the fall before. The fact that their holiday window is still wide open would lead one to presume they have confidence Zelda is coming out this year.

If there's serious concern that it will get delayed into 2023 Nintendo would likely know by now, since games tend to enter the polishing and Q&A phase of development once they are content complete. Which means they should have a strong idea if the game is coming out this year. If they felt it wasn't gonna happen they would have announced TP/WW ports this past direct. Because announcing a delay at E3 would be a disaster (in terms of stock value and investor panic).

I like how Kosuke Yabuki last twitter acivity was retweeting when MinMin came to Smash (June 2020), then nothing and 2 days ago he just retweeted when Booster Course Pass was announced. I guess when EPD9 game is ready his twitter is ready too.

Last edited:
2D Mario is plausible for the holidays because it would stand out from the other releases but I just can't see Nintendo releasing 3D Mario this year.

That's an absolutely massive game that will get most people excited for the Switch's future. Save it after you've depleted many of the current big guns like BotW2, Splatoon 3, and so on. I also think putting big 3D Mario and Zelda games in the same holiday is a waste.
Exactly. We forget 2023 will also need major games. Probably there's going to be a new Pokémon generation for the holidays. But march is an important month for Nintendo, and what better way to resurrect a console than releasing a new 3D Mario?

While I don't see Zelda being delayed for next year, the franchise is at a very healthy stage where it releasing next year wouldn't hurt it much.

DK, on the other hand, does much better releasing during the holidays as evident by the release of both Tropical Freeze games. Past games were always release during the holidays, and they always did exceptionally well. TF broke that mold, and judging from the sales of it, Nintendo didn't do that game any favors.

I don't know, I can see a scenario where they delay Zelda to give DK that space. as small as that chance is.
I don't see a scenario where Nintendo delays the most anticipated game of all time just to give space to a 2D Dk game that will sell far less than Zelda would. If Zelda gets delayed it's for quality and development reasons, not to give space to an announced game that may or may not exist.

Exactly. We forget 2023 will also need major games. Probably there's going to be a new Pokémon generation for the holidays. But march is an important month for Nintendo, and what better way to resurrect a console than releasing a new 3D Mario?
Or to be honest even a new 2D Mario game (but not a New 2D Mario game) would fit that slot well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom