• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST27 December 2023| Have a Cuppa with Your Fami

Choose wisely!

• Tea

• Coffee

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it’s from a new studio hopefully we get a new Kinnikuman game out of the new anime. Has a lot to live up to tho

If Nintendo didn't restrict open world Zelda to one save per user profile, I'd 100% have restarted Tears of the Kingdom yesterday. The urge is strong, but my desire to not be mildly inconvenienced is stronger.
Seriously, I don't understand this. It's not just the Zelda series either. A lot of Nintendo games this generation, including Mario titles, do this as well. I'm hoping this is just because of the nature of the system itself rather than a software related rule.

Struggling to stick with TotK so far, sadly. I'm still on the opening island, but I'm kind of missing the drive I've felt with BotW all the way back then. So far I'm missing the ... feeling of freshness, I suppose. Over 220h of BotW might just do that to you (or me, specifically, lol).
Honestly, the opening island does take some time to get through and there's more frustrations with making your through it than the opening island of BotW. Ater that, it's awesome. But I do imagine having that many hours into BotW, especially if you played it recently, can't help. I had several years separation from BotW before I went back into TotK so it all felt fresh to me again and I found there to have been a good amount of improvements in certain areas to keep me going

Honestly, with the Zelda discourse I've seen lately, I genuinely think people are forgetting just how turbulent the 'Traditional 3D Zelda' era truly was. All those games are classics, sure, but outside of Ocarina of Time all of them were clearly struggling or deficient in some way or another. Majora's Mask was a reskin made in extreme crunch, Wind Waker was blatantly unfinished, Twilight Princess was ostensibly just an OoT remake with more padding, and Skyward Sword was... Skyward Sword. Again, all amazing games, but by the time Zelda got to the "our game's entire thing is doing stuff you did before but with motion controls," phase, something had to change.

And it did. No matter what you think about BotW and TotK, it's clear that both games were a massive breath of fresh air creatively for the developers. Not being tied to a rigid and linear formula that was created and - frankly - perfected back in 1998 meant that they could shape the franchise into whatever they wanted going forward. Enough so that they managed to get two massive 100+ hour adventures out of a single world, whilst ten years prior their big game-defining new thing was "you can play as a wolf sometimes."

This new freedom really shows in just how systematically-diverse these new titles are. Whilst including fewer 'unique items' than other titles, I'd argue that the number of unique gameplay interactions within them is far, far greater in number. Fuse, by itself, likely creates more unique gameplay opportunities than all the traditional Zelda items introduced post-OoT combined. Especially when you factor in just how many of those 'new items' were, frankly, just reskins of what other games had (e.g. the Bug from SS just being a slower, controllable version of the boomerang from WW). I'd count but I can't be bothered.

I know this is a random rant but - honestly - the sheer amount of worry and dislike I've been seeing regarding the very idea that Zelda isn't going to go back to the 1998 formula has grown a little tiring. There's a reason why those games are so rare - and why Nintendo isn't "just making some on the side," - and it's because making an old-styled Zelda game is likely really, really fucking difficult whilst also being incredibly limiting creatively.

Last edited:
IMG_7906.jpg
Hm now which am I building next. Not starting just yet tho mind you. Was just trying to get the rest of the boxed backlog into storage as much as possible. Wanna focus on gaming and anime the rest of today.

Supposed to be rainy this week tho that might make me less likely to work on a kit work nights since I'll be wiped.
Also any blue eyes owners be very careful removing the wings, those joints are delicate. Accidentally twisted one apart trying to take it out

Time to get my pizza going, my winter anime watch list together and then some gaming(Ai, sonic frontiers or Ryza. Haven’t decided)

Struggling to stick with TotK so far, sadly. I'm still on the opening island, but I'm kind of missing the drive I've felt with BotW all the way back then. So far I'm missing the ... feeling of freshness, I suppose. Over 220h of BotW might just do that to you (or me, specifically, lol).
I get that to some degree, but as others have said I would definitely try to push through the tutorial and get into the game proper. More specifically, I would try to get past the tutorials on the mainland and then go toward the northwest/Rito regional phenomenon and see how you're feeling once you get into that questline. IMO it's the best one in the entire game (as well as usually being the most recommended to do first!)

I know this is a random rant but - honestly - the sheer amount of worry and dislike I've been seeing regarding the very idea that Zelda isn't going to go back to the 1998 formula has grown a little tiring. There's a reason why those games are so rare - and why Nintendo isn't "just making some on the side," - and it's because making an old-styled Zelda game is likely really, really fucking difficult whilst also being incredibly limiting creatively.
I think it's understandable to be disappointed because they did present a really unique experience that isn't really replicated elsewhere in the industry, but I agree fans severely underestimate the man hours and resources required to make a game like that. It's the same thing when I hear about the "inevitable" OOT remake - who's gonna make it?

At the end of the day that style of gameplay just stopped really being feasible to make unless a company wanted to pour tons of money into a game that will inevitably sell around 30% what the open world games will. And I think only now are some fans realizing that it's probably not coming back.

I feel like the tutorial of Tears of the Kingdom is insanely bad, especially after Breath of the Wild's. It still took me a while to get into it after that, but once you get off the tutorial islands it's way better.

Honestly, the opening island does take some time to get through and there's more frustrations with making your through it than the opening island of BotW. Ater that, it's awesome. But I do imagine having that many hours into BotW, especially if you played it recently, can't help. I had several years separation from BotW before I went back into TotK so it all felt fresh to me again and I found there to have been a good amount of improvements in certain areas to keep me going

I get that to some degree, but as others have said I would definitely try to push through the tutorial and get into the game proper. More specifically, I would try to get past the tutorials on the mainland and then go toward the northwest/Rito regional phenomenon and see how you're feeling once you get into that questline. IMO it's the best one in the entire game (as well as usually being the most recommended to do first!)
My main problem is: asking me to grit my teeth and be patient for a really bad tutorial is now a pretty tall order, given the amount of time I currently have for games, and therefore my significantly reduced tolerance for things I don't enjoy.
And while TotK might very well offer enough new and exciting stuff over BotW, I'm not hooked on that promise yet, because so far I've only been told about it, nothing's been really shown to me so far, though. Not beyond some nice basics / rudimentary elements.

It's just -- I get the feeling the way this game is set up at the beginning and my current circumstances don't really match well.
I also like the idea of playing it for the first time on new hardware with a potential new generation patch or something to that extent. The next TLoZ game might still be five or more years off, so...

Yeah I strangely fell out of TotK, too. I explored a decent amount of the world and everything but I kinda got lost in what I had to do. I get that that's part of the game's design but it sort of impacted motivation for me to keep pushing on to an ending I don't see.
I actually think that, at least once I get that far, I'll enjoy this about the game, as I did with BotW before. The feeling of Wanderlust is something I'm craving for in most open world games, even if it's for its own sake and not extrinsicly motivated.

Was at a White Elephant party today (doing some IRL shitposting, don't worry) and someone got a package of goose-related gifts and was so jazzed about it. And I got to thinking about what a kick she'd get out of Untitled Goose Game, so I asked her "Hey, do you play video games at all?" and she said "Well kinda yeah, lately I've been playing through Baulder's Gate 3" which was like the fastest transition from "I wonder if this person even plays games" to "oh fuck this person is legit" that I've ever experienced.

T-minus 4 times having to get out of bed early until more than 2 weeks of vacation. You can do it Bonejack, you can do it.
My wife will finally see my eyes without dark tired rings beneath them again.

No cocoa option in the poll is the biggest snub of 2023.

If Nintendo didn't restrict open world Zelda to one save per user profile, I'd 100% have restarted Tears of the Kingdom yesterday. The urge is strong, but my desire to not be mildly inconvenienced is stronger.

I would have a workaround, if you happen to have a NSO sub.

Put your current save into the cloud storage, turn off auto-upload of saves, start a new game, and if there's really some patch with new stuff (like Gold enemies) coming, just DL the old save.

It has the downside of having to keep in mind that you have to manually upload saves to the cloud storage then, though.

Me and my wife picked up Ghost Trick Remastered again after leaving it after a few chapters earlier this year..for reasons..
Aand we've played 1-2 chapters each night now for the past week and holy shit. This is gearing up up up. Could very well be one of my favorite releases of the year. While it's obvious this game would work better in handheld mode, it works nice on the big screen to. Cant wait to see how this unfolds.

Soundtrack is off the chart, and then this track drops and I'm dropping my jaw.
I felt it.

I've had 3 coffees already and it's mid-day in Spain. Could the OP please give me 2 more votes in the poll? Thx

Also: Looking forward to the holidays so I can finally start Super Mario RPG.

The panera bread charged lemonade sounds very healthy, seems to take care of any heart arrhythmia you might be suffering from.

Last edited:
Deep fried ice cream, though

Yeah it’s like you can feel your arteries clogging up and your blood sugar shooting up right as you eat a month’s worth of calories in one sitting

But

Dayum the most kino of meals

So apparently someone got really drunk at the office Christmas party after I left and he just got called to the meeting room with HR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom