• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST27 December 2023| Have a Cuppa with Your Fami

Choose wisely!

• Tea

• Coffee

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the thing about TotK as a follow-up to BotW is that it’s profoundly damning on the homophobia front

like BotW definitely had some rough homophobic flourishes, but there was enough room to “reclaim” some of it or have fun regardless. plenty of ambiguous spaces

TotK immediately shuts every remotely or inferably queer thing from BotW down — and not just homophobic punchlines

damningly so

and considering the whole bent of the plot is “restore the monarchy”

it just sits so sour in my mouth, especially when it coincides with the rising global tide of fascism

y’all are gonna be like “😮 omg no way that can’t be how it is”

but I’m fuckin’ right
you're fuckin' right

Moved in with my partner recently and you know you're in a relationship with a gamer when
f4BKdJY.jpeg

the thing about TotK as a follow-up to BotW is that it’s profoundly damning on the homophobia front

like BotW definitely had some rough homophobic flourishes, but there was enough room to “reclaim” some of it or have fun regardless. plenty of ambiguous spaces

TotK immediately shuts every remotely or inferably queer thing from BotW down — and not just homophobic punchlines

damningly so

it just sits so sour in my mouth, especially when it coincides with the rising global tide of fascism

but I’m fuckin’ right
as someone who only played like four hours of that game I NEED to know more

When the devs said TotK would be more like Majora's Mask I assumed they meant "darker and more scary," not "feels like a clever fan mod of the predecessor that somehow doesn't sit quite right with me and that I like less the more I think about it"

When the devs said TotK would be more like Majora's Mask I assumed they meant "darker and more scary," not "feels like a clever fan mod of the predecessor that somehow doesn't sit quite right with me and that I like less the more I think about it"
Did they overtly compare it to MM? I don’t recall that.

You're saying you didn't like it when Zelda after being trapped in a dragon's body for hundreds of years and having her last memories be the death of her friends immediately awoke and reverted her personality to "LINK, I'm back! I saw so much cool shit, let's party!" ?

The biggest problem with TotK is that it's a game where you spend a significant amount of time in the sky yet it has no Aeralfos. Like come on, that's a freebie.

Did they overtly compare it to MM? I don’t recall that.
I think it’s interesting what fans are picking up on. Tears of the Kingdom has a somewhat dark atmosphere, and Ganondorf, this prominent antagonist, brings a certain darkness to it as well. But I think, because of the reasons I mentioned, that these were two very different challenges, and that they don’t have that direct relationship.”
i know we're on our "tears of the kingdom is bad actually" phase but lets keep it factual people.

Good video.

You all should watch it some time.

(It'll take a long time though!)

Didn’t know about this channel until this was on some tweet. Have since watched this, the Roblox one, the Andrew Wakefield one (knew most of this already but laid out so well), and the war on Christmas one. Such good exposes. This plagiarism one is great (and infuriating), and there is even a Reddit post for people to document more theft (to which they have found a lot!).

I am just going to say

If Ohtani goes to the Blue Jays I’ll care about baseball again
I've seen alot of, lets called them veteran, reporters that are not happy with how secretive him and his agent have been. It will be fun if he does end up in toronto

Tell me more! I feel like Yona only exists because Nintendo saw people shipping Link and Sidon, but what else is there?
okay. so. some of it takes some nuance and some of it is wacky 4D chess that only counts in spirit, but stick with me here:

- Sidon’s fiancé. pretty self-explanatory.

- Vilia is completely removed. and yeah, she was more or less a transphobic punchline in the first one, but instead of trying to do better, she is deleted

- That might be less glaring the Desert Vai set wasn’t completely removed. but surprise! nowhere to be found!

- Greta no longer says anything about you “both having something to hide” — and her wording about clothes intended for voe is softened to imply “illegal husbands” more than anything trans-related

- similarly, Greta is given a sidekick who won’t stop talking about her husband

- also similarly, there’s a fuckin’ weeb outside town who won’t stop talking about how much he wants the Desert Voe set for his sick cosplay or whatever, set up as another direct “this is the demand we meant. straight cis weeb dudes.” demonstration

- on the whole, the Gerudo — who were already dealt a pretty shitty hand the first time — are even more weirdly bioessentialist, paint the “no boys allowed” sitch with dialogue that is more terf-adjacent than BotW, and then are made for cartoonishly swoon over the concept of men anyways, lest anyone say “hell yeah sapphic town.” and yeah — there was lots of that in BotW too — but it’s doubled down on to leave less room for interpretation

- Lest Nintendo repeat Urbosa being like “yeah I was close with Zelda’s mom if u kno what I meannnn,” they made every champion sage have profoundly bland backstories

- Bolson, who, yeah, is absolutely a homophobic trope, is ejected from his throuple (yes, I know the other two are canonically straight in BotW, but there’s definitely some ambiguity played for laughs, esp. with Karson). in fact, in TotK he only really interacts with an old man, the kids, and you.

- Nintendo owes me money for having a plot relevant sidequest where I have to talk to chuds who are trying to bro their way into Gerudo Town and say shit like “bdhhdjwbsifksb an hot womans”

- Sure, you get lipstick with the Cece hat, but c’mon. it’s mid. like Sia backup dancer mid.

- yeah yeah yeah Calip’s probably got the hots for Tauro, but based on all the rest of the backpedaling, it might as well be an oversight that’ll be erased in two seconds!

The biggest problem with TotK is that it's a game where you spend a significant amount of time in the sky yet it has no Aeralfos. Like come on, that's a freebie.
or like flying enemies as good as any other Zelda game except BotW

okay. so. some of it takes some nuance and some of it is wacky 4D chess that only counts in spirit, but stick with me here:

- Vilia is completely removed. and yeah, she was more or less a transphobic punchline in the first one, but instead of trying to do better, she is deleted

- That might be less glaring the Desert Vai set wasn’t completely removed. but surprise! nowhere to be found!

- Greta no longer says anything about you “both having something to hide” — and her wording about clothes intended for voe is softened to imply “illegal husbands” more than anything trans-related

- also similarly, there’s a fuckin’ weeb outside town who won’t stop talking about how much he wants the Desert Voe set for his sick cosplay or whatever, set up as another direct “this is the demand we meant. straight cis weeb dudes.” demonstration

- on the whole, the Gerudo — who were already dealt a pretty shitty hand the first time — are even more weirdly bioessentialist, paint the “no boys allowed” sitch with dialogue that is more terf-adjacent than BotW, and then are made for cartoonishly swoon over the concept of men anyways, lest anyone say “hell yeah sapphic town.” and yeah — there was lots of that in BotW too — but it’s doubled down on to leave less room for interpretation

- Lest Nintendo repeat Urbosa being like “yeah I was close with Zelda’s mom if u kno what I meannnn,” they made every champion sage have profoundly bland backstories

- Bolson, who, yeah, is absolutely a homophobic trope, is ejected from his throuple (yes, I know the other two are canonically straight in BotW, but there’s definitely some ambiguity played for laughs, esp. with Karson). in fact, in TotK he only really interacts with an old man, the kids, and you.

- Nintendo owes me money for having a plot relevant sidequest where I have to talk to chuds who are trying to bro their way into Gerudo Town and say shit like “bdhhdjwbsifksb an hot womans”

- Sure, you get lipstick with the Cece hat, but c’mon. it’s mid. like Sia backup dancer mid.

- yeah yeah yeah Calip’s probably got the hots for Tauro, but based on all the rest of the backpedaling, it might as well be an oversight that’ll be erased in two seconds!
Thank you for the summary! I spent 75 hours on the main quest and quit playing, so I missed a lot of this side content. It's pretty overwhelming tbh, Nintendo DO NOT want you to accidentally think anyone in hyrule might be queer. Sounds like everyone gets assigned a heterosexual spouse except for Bolson, who is so gay he needed to be exiled to the sea?

Thank you for the summary! I spent 75 hours on the main quest and quit playing, so I missed a lot of this side content. It's pretty overwhelming tbh, Nintendo DO NOT want you to accidentally think anyone in hyrule might be queer. Sounds like everyone gets assigned a heterosexual spouse except for Bolson, who is so gay he needed to be exiled to the sea?
“okay, y’all are ruining it, you get ONE and it’s gonna be the same one from the N64”

“can you BELIEVE they thought our WOMAN-ONLY TOWN might have LESBIANS or TRANS PEOPLE?????”

damn that's wild

shame about the gerudo neckbeards

Nintendo has always had some glaring blind spots when it comes to representation of any kind. Remember how long it took to get any non-Gerudo people of colour in Zelda? Remember how they had Tetra change from "tan" to lily white as Princess Zelda and back to tan when she was a pirate again? No, don't think about the implications of that too much.

Nintendo has always had some glaring blind spots when it comes to representation of any kind. Remember how long it took to get any non-Gerudo people of colour in Zelda? Remember how they had Tetra change from "tan" to lily white as Princess Zelda and back to tan when she was a pirate again? No, don't think about the implications of that too much.
fucking literally

I think about that all the fucking time

I am just going to say

If Ohtani goes to the Blue Jays I’ll care about baseball again
Being a mariners fan is depressing. Cheap ass ownership that made $84 million in profit is projected to lose a little money due to the tv network being moved to a higher cable tier and losing subscribers. So instead of dipping into profits they have to dump salary just to sign nobodies….

If anyone renews NSO by midnight tonight…OPT IN to the gold coins. I didn’t and apparently it will still work but it will be super delayed they said. It will still say you opted in on the back end if you do it after buying the renewal, but I didn’t even know it was something you had to specifically request! It’s buried in like two links to even get to that.

damningly so

but I’m fuckin’ right
I don’t really disagree with you though the Zelda series has pretty much always had a reactionary undercurrent with the whole “royalty blessed by gods” lore. So the fact that they’re trying to restore the monarchy didn’t even register with me. I guess Democratically Elected Zelda isn’t as marketable as being a princess in Nintendo’s eyes.

There is literally a PreCure season though that ends with the magical kingdom monarchy being abolished for a republic lol

it's just because pirates spend time outside and royalty doesn't I repeat to myself, curled up in the corner sobbing

I guess Democratically Elected Zelda isn’t as marketable as being a princess in Nintendo’s eyes.
everything just falls so far from Wind Waker’s “drown the fucking kingdom and forget this horseshit; stop the pursuit of both ‘power’ and the ‘old ways’ and let the kids be the future, especially if they’re pirates and twinks”

If anyone renews NSO by midnight tonight…OPT IN to the gold coins. I didn’t and apparently it will still work but it will be super delayed they said. It will still say you opted in on the back end if you do it after buying the renewal, but I didn’t even know it was something you had to specifically request! It’s buried in like two links to even get to that.
Wait, what? How I do this?

I’ve beaten 2 games that released in 2023

Fire Emblem Engage
Resident Evil 4 remake

That’s pretty good I say. 1 more then I excepted ☺️

Wait, what? How I do this?
Go to my Nintendo and click on the the link below the coin banks. It has a bunch of gold coins and Mario. Then you have to click the americas or whatever and it take you to another page. Then you scroll a little and click the red “opt in” button. Now you can renew NSO for another year and get 20% gold coins back. Normally you can’t get coins. It’s good until the end of today though. Opt in first just to make sure it works if you do it.

So apparently the game awards have so many announcements that Geoff just tweeted that Metaphor will be there lol

Lol. They have to keep adding the reveals rather than make it an actual award show! I get it that no one would watch and Geoff wouldn’t make money, but one can hope for a true, respected awards show that doesn’t need to rely on reveals and gimmicks one day.

You're saying you didn't like it when Zelda after being trapped in a dragon's body for hundreds of years and having her last memories be the death of her friends immediately awoke and reverted her personality to "LINK, I'm back! I saw so much cool shit, let's party!" ?
I'm saying more that I didn't like it that the promised sky islands were so sparse (aside from the starting area) that they almost may as well have not existed, the "stuff fell from the sky and altered the landscape" angle was executed as just a bunch of weird Tetris pieces littering the countryside and messing up the beautiful wilderness landscape that the original had, and the building mechanism, while well-built, ended up feeling so un-Zelda to me that when I was forced into engaging with that system at points it felt like I was playing a totally different game. To say nothing of the fakeout where the game began by making me feel they were confirming the timeline placement I've believed in for years for multiple reasons, only to shit all over that to such a degree that it felt they were retconning damn well near the entire Zelda continuity. It felt at times like the Zelda team was holding a middle finger up to me in particular.
😅

However:
The Gleeoks are like the coolest shit tho
I agree with this and hot damn I wish they had been in BotW. So good.

☝️☝️☝️

I know I'm kinda on the outside looking in on this, but it seriously looked to me like Nintendo saw all the things from BotW that fans online grasped onto as queer and decided to put a stop to every single one of them.

Go to my Nintendo and click on the the link below the coin banks. It has a bunch of gold coins and Mario. Then you have to click the americas or whatever and it take you to another page. Then you scroll a little and click the red “opt in” button. Now you can renew NSO for another year and get 20% gold coins back. Normally you can’t get coins. It’s good until the end of today though. Opt in first just to make sure it works if you do it.
Ah, blimey. I renewed 4 days before their window started so no coins for me...

With less than 24 hours until the Keighleys, the Raccoonies are still coming sometime tonight (US time). I unfortunately got caught up with something before work and will be finishing them during my lunch break.

i mean i want to stay up to watch the only awards show i’m actually interested in but i know it’ll just be disappointing again so i’ll just catch the highlights in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom