• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vita who? Thought I treat myself something for my birthday tomorrow huh, @Imitatio

PXL_20221207_221316333.jpg

Here’s a personal story I don’t share often. I was dealing with some depression issues back in 2017. I was not able to get a switch until October that year. No game was really able to find enjoyment with at all. Horizon zero Dawn was the one game I really liked that year that helped me through it for a while and was my personal game of the year that year.

Being able to play it on a handheld will be awesome for me

I meant you calling Borderlands 3 coming to switch a good thing 😂
Are we still having "BL3 is not as good as BL2, so what's the point" argument? Nah, BL3 still is a great game, especially with DLC, which proven to be best DLC in the whole series. Such miracle port is better than nothing and that's what the Switch gets from western pubs usually.

Are we still having "BL3 is not as good as BL2, so what's the point" argument? Nah, BL3 still is a great game, especially with DLC, which proven to be best DLC in the whole series. Such miracle port is better than nothing and that's what the Switch gets from western pubs usually.
There's a big difference between not as good and bad, TPS wasn't as good but it was still enjoyable. 3 was just dire

Borderlands 3 is probably the one game where I'm slightly interested in but the (constant) dialogue makes me never want to pick it up.

I don't know if its a bug or it's just badly balanced but fought a boss in River City Girls 2 and his third phase has an attack that takes about 80% of your hp bar from one hit (I'm sure it's not intentional as other bosses special attacks don't do this much damage, 40% top). Died about 8 times before manage to beating him.

Wouldn’t call Borderlands 3 a bad game per se, the game feel is pretty fine, but the writing in this game is… ugh… a choice

Borderlands 3 is probably the one game where I'm slightly interested in but the (constant) dialogue makes me never want to pick it up.
Well, Gearbox thinks people love all the dialog in the game as they just released a Borderlands game that's literally 100% dialog.

Wouldn’t call Borderlands 3 a bad game per se, the game feel is pretty fine, but the writing in this game is… ugh… a choice
I played through like half of the game and couldn’t believe how truly unfunny the game was, despite it trying to be “funny.”

My dad is heading to the ER after having some bad cramps and stomach pains the past few days, getting a CT scan, and the nurse finding acute appendicitis. He's gotta get it out ASAP. Please send positive thoughts and vibes my family's way if you can. This year has been really tough for my family with various scares, health concerns/developments, etc., so any and all positivity is appreciated. When it rains, it pours.

Do we think Pikmin 4 will show up at the February Direct? Or is that going to be E3 Direct material.
Depends on how the year shakes out and if they plan to do an E3 Direct at all, but I think it’s the October game next year so it’ll be at E3.

My dad is heading to the ER after having some bad cramps and stomach pains the past few days, getting a CT scan, and the nurse finding acute appendicitis. He's gotta get it out ASAP. Please send positive thoughts and vibes my family's way if you can. This year has been really tough for my family with various scares, health concerns/developments, etc., so any and all positivity is appreciated. When it rains, it pours.
Both me and my dad have been sick lately and he’s not been much better either. Hopefully he will be and he’s not in any bad issue either but I’ll be thinking about you.

Sending positive vibes. If it’s any consolation, appendicitis is a relatively straightforward disease.

Sending positive vibes. If it’s any consolation, appendicitis is a relatively straightforward disease.
For sure. It was a lot scarier than the nurse came in, said his diagnosis was "not ideal", and immediately wheeled him down to the ER lol

Random question, but what do you all think of pokemon the first movie now? When i saw it in theatres as a kid i marked the hell out for it, and i must have made my mom rent it from blockbuster a dozen times since then. But, similar to other childhood movies I loved like space jam, I really don’t think it was ever a good movie as an adult

Never ceases to amuse me the takes some folks have when we here a game is coming to Nintendo.

I mean there's the troll comments of "lol 240p 10fps" but even if we ignore those, a lot of people just seem to have trouble wrapping their heads around the notion that not everyone cares about the graphics being worse as long as the game is fun.
"What's the point" people ask, as if they can't fathom that others might care more about portability or gyro aiming than 60fps or 4K.

Some people just seem to have trouble conceptualizing the idea that different people might not share their views.

Never ceases to amuse me the takes some folks have when we here a game is coming to Nintendo.

I mean there's the troll comments of "lol 240p 10fps" but even if we ignore those, a lot of people just seem to have trouble wrapping their heads around the notion that not everyone cares about the graphics being worse as long as the game is fun.
"What's the point" people ask, as if they can't fathom that others might care more about portability or gyro aiming than 60fps or 4K.

Some people just seem to have trouble conceptualizing the idea that different people might not share their views.
As long as performance is stable, gyro and portable are way up on my list. I find it funny when people say games are unplayable on something like PS4 because it’s locked 1080/30 or something. Just bizarre thought process to me. If graphics are your most important thing, that’s cool, but no need to dogpile on people that don’t care as much about that.

People who cannot comprehend the allure of handheld gaming have always existed. I remember on IGN forums around 2003, GBA threads often hijacked by trolls going, "GBA is a toy! Are you children? Who buys a pocket gaming thing" or "Why would I play games on that tiny thing Why would anyone?"

I still can taste the salt on that Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories thread...

@Skittzo i had a dream that you hired me to add “artistic calamity” to your game

we settled on painting over the existing 3D model textures in the style of the botched Ecce Homo restoration — mostly by using “liquify” in photoshop, cranking the saturation, and adding some “nonsense brushstrokes”

then you gave the whole thing a simpsons-esque hue shift and slapped constantly vibrating googly-eyes on every single creature and character

you also had me make the UI look like a really jaunty dating sim but all the character portraits were grotesque hyper-shaded monstrosities with caricature proportions

after that, the next time I opened Grögol Bonanza to work on it, you had made the entire thing 3D, and when I zoomed really far out, the map was a picture of a cowboy that said “happy trails pardner” on it

It's true. You, a sonic fan and me a non-sonic fan both agree that most sonic games are not very good.
nicholas-cage-funny.gif

@Skittzo i had a dream that you hired me to add “artistic calamity” to your game

we settled on painting over the existing 3D model textures in the style of the botched Ecce Homo restoration — mostly by using “liquify” in photoshop, cranking the saturation, and adding some “nonsense brushstrokes”

then you gave the whole thing a simpsons-esque hue shift and slapped constantly vibrating googly-eyes on every single creature and character

you also had me make the UI look like a really jaunty dating sim but all the character portraits were grotesque hyper-shaded monstrosities with caricature proportions

after that, the next time I opened Grögol Bonanza to work on it, you had made the entire thing 3D, and when I zoomed really far out, the map was a picture of a cowboy that said “happy trails pardner” on it
ya know what
follow your dreams

I want to live in that dream, good golly.

Cheery UI with eldritch monstrosities sounds pretty fun though, not gonna lie.

Pardner.

“Still a great game” is extremely debatable. The shooting can be fun, but basically everything else about it is pretty terrible and actively annoying. I don’t mind it coming to Switch since sure, options are good for people to have, but it’s not a game to get excited for IMO.

Sounds like my younger brother is getting a Steam Deck for Christmas. Guess I’m gonna have to buy myself one now. If I don’t win one at TGA that is.

I'm 33 and I've actually had my Christmas list rejected by mom before for being incomplete. Too few items. Too much practical stuff and not enough stuff that's on there for just my own personal enjoyment. I've had to add things onto it to make her satisfied. That's how I ended up with games like Paper Mario: The Origami King and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Games I was considering but wasn't in any rush to get them right away but they made for decent wishlist items.
This is also my experince. It was funny as a kid I would get told not to add just games, but now she askes for a list of games every year. It really sucks for me now since I mainly want digtial only games now, but my list has to be physical items for me to open up. I really just want to have my list filled with stuff I need, but don't really want to buy. lol

To piggy back off this though, what are some of y'all's overlooked/underrated games of the year? ( hell they didn't even have to come out this year)
totally not trying to fluff up my wishlist

Ugh, apparently UE4 doesn't have a blueprint function to get all subclasses of a particular class. Kinda crazy that I can't do that.

I was trying to get all enemy classes then sort them by level so I can spawn only certain level ranges... Gonna have to find a different way.
It is natural full color sandstone, which I assume isn't edible (and I assume- no volunteers).

Marzipan Yoshi sounds like both a fun game and dessert idea.
I guess anything is edible if you're willing to try hard enough.

fixed that for you :p
Why_not_both.gif

I'm assuming DQ has a solid history with Jump Festa, is that correct?
Square's been one of the presenters at the show the last few years so they usually have something to go for that. DQ III 2D-HD isn't on the schedule explicitly but that doesn't mean they can't show it if they wanted to.

It's also coinciding the the Final Fantasy 35th anniversary date so I'm half-expecting an announcement related to that as well.

for a variety of reasons I'm cancelling the raccoonies

I think @chocolate_supra and @Gartooth expressed interest at some point but they might've been joking

I really ought to not announce projects until they're finished
Booooo

lol this really got me

for broader context, it was going to be something sort of like dunkey's best of the year videos with the award show as a framing device, but I don't like my script, hate the sound of my voice, and realized that editing it would be a nightmare. I don't think it would be entertaining enough to justify the work and it's better to just throw in the towel
I'd still watch/listen to it anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom