• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo eShop |ST Oct. 2022|

Okay Polyroll has a vibe, and not just looking like an advanced MD/GG Sonic, but the graphics look like some of the old PC platformers I used to play in the 90s. How neat, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Edit: OMG the launch trailer has an AMC Gremlin in it, I'm buying this šŸ¤£

Sweet, looking forward to your impressions! I had a feeling it was either something you'd played or something you'd want to play! šŸ¦”

Sumire is a really beautiful game, and I found it quite an emotional experience. Highly recommend it.

That sounds lovely. Onto the wishlist it goes!

Goblin Sword is more of a straight up platformer. Itā€™s roots are very much in mobile due to the short level design, but itā€™s a fun little game. I played it a couple of years ago and thought it was really good for the price!
Neat! Thanks for the rec. šŸ˜„

I have Polyroll on Switch. Good game but some bs near the end of the game. I don't even remember if I finished it now that I think about it. Maybe last level?
I'm okay with a bit of BS at the end. Was it like a difficulty spike? Speaking of indies with endpoint spikes, I never did manage to make it through the beginning of the final level of Wooden Sen'Sey on Wii U. You play as a slow-moving puppet in a platforming setup but now fire is chasing you and it seems to move slightly faster than can be outrun. I'm sure it's doable but it was laughably hard to get that last level going.

And speaking of throwbacks, I'm unreasonably anticipating Beeny this Friday with its DK vibes. Looking forward to reviews/impressions. I'm still over here in Dicey Dungeons land in the meantime, we're trying our luck at the fifth elimination round and it is immensely difficult for us. But I know we can do it! é ‘å¼µć‚Šć¾ć™!

Sweet, looking forward to your impressions! I had a feeling it was either something you'd played or something you'd want to play! šŸ¦”

That sounds lovely. Onto the wishlist it goes!

Neat! Thanks for the rec. šŸ˜„

I'm okay with a bit of BS at the end. Was it like a difficulty spike? Speaking of indies with endpoint spikes, I never did manage to make it through the beginning of the final level of Wooden Sen'Sey on Wii U. You play as a slow-moving puppet in a platforming setup but now fire is chasing you and it seems to move slightly faster than can be outrun. I'm sure it's doable but it was laughably hard to get that last level going.
I mostly remember a bottom to top autoscroller where if you fall you die right before the final boss that you have to do every time even if you die during the final boss. I call it bs because with a game like this that emulates the whole gotta go fast of Sonic it's more in line with a platformer than a Sonic style game. I'm sure there is something else but I played this like right when it came out and can't remember much. It's kind of outta nowhere when you're so used to a different playstyle playing the game.

Seems like noone mentioned Beacon Pines back in the September thread, when the game was released? I'm looking for impressions. Has anyone played it here?

Based on the Metacritic consensus, it seems to be a great game (86, based on 13 reviews).

Seems like noone mentioned Beacon Pines back in the September thread, when the game was released? I'm looking for impressions. Has anyone played it here?

I played about 2 hours or so if it via Gamepass. It's not really my type of game, but I liked the art style so much that I thought it was worth giving it a try. It has great visuals, and good voice acting, and the story has a good mystery to it. You basically play through the story and unlock various keywords that you can use at key moments in the story to take different paths. You will often reach a dead end, or bad ending I guess, and have to go back to a previous key moment and take a different path. This seems to be intentional, and I'm not sure it can be avoided, because the keyword needed to take an alternate path could be in the bad path. I suppose that could bother some people, but it seemed pretty natural and probably gives more understanding and context to the whole story seeing a lot of the 'what if' scenarios.

If I didn't have so much other stuff I wanted to play, I would have kept going, which is a pretty big compliment since more narrative focused games like this aren't really my thing.

Last edited:
I played about 2 hours or so if it via Gamepass. It's not really my type of game, but I liked the art style so much that I thought it was worth giving it a try. It's got great visuals, and good voice acting, and the story has a good mystery to it. You basically play through the story and unlock various keywords that you can use at key moments in the story to take different paths. You will often reach a dead end, or bad ending I guess, and have to go back to a previous key moment and take a different path. This seems to be intentional, and I'm not sure it can be avoided, because the keyword needed to take an alternate path could be in the bad path. I suppose that could bother some people, but it seemed pretty natural and probably gives more understanding and context to the whole story seeing a lot of the 'what if' scenarios.

If I didn't have so much other stuff I wanted to play, I would have kept going, which is a pretty big compliment since more narrative focused games like this aren't really my thing.
Yeah, while exploring the various branches of the story is inherently non-linear as regards the overall narrative, there's clearly a near-fixed order in which you'll be able to discover each path due to the places in which the choice words are learned.

Overall I had a decent time with the game and it's a fun story with excellent presentation, but it gets less interesting as you approach the end and the sometimes necessary repetition doesn't help.

Yeah at 1.99 I'll get it to support the dev with even my passing interest in it. šŸ˜„ Just fun to know if people loved a cheap game.

And BTW the incredible and addictive Dicey Dungeons is on sale for $2!!!

Please buy it. It's so good and addictive. If you like card-based roguelites, you'll love it, and if you're like me and you had no interest in this type of game, you still may well love it!

That looks really intriguing and charming, thanks for posting it @Joedev! I loved the spin on pinball in the Metroidvania genre in Yoku's Island Express. Interested to see what this one is like, too.

I've played through Pinball Wizard on Apple Arcade. It's very much a pinball game despite the dungeon crawling setup, the mechanics are somewhat limited and it gets a bit repetitive towards the end. I still had a good time with it, but it feels more like a mobile game than something I'd want to play on Switch.

Dicey Dungeons update. The Elimination Round episodes contribute to be incredibly difficult at points. After several days and 18 failed attempts, we finally beat our fifth one with The Witch. Man, this game is so freaking good. This was definitely one of the most satisfying moments yet.

Anyone grab Kamisawa yet? Iā€™m super interested but canā€™t grab it yet. Maybe Iā€™ll get lucky and grab it on a generic deal next month

Anyone try the demo for Pom Pom: The Great Space Rescue? Puzzle platformer with very positive reviews on Steam. It reminds me a bit of the Wii U Rayman Legends levels where you place the platforms for Murfy, or kinda like the NSMBU Wii U GamePad challenges where the player with the GamePad places blocks to jump on.

Nintendo Life reported the demo as being available in the UK, not sure if it's in the NA eShop yet.

Anyone try the demo for Pom Pom: The Great Space Rescue? Puzzle platformer with very positive reviews on Steam. It reminds me a bit of the Wii U Rayman Legends levels where you place the platforms for Murfy, or kinda like the NSMBU Wii U GamePad challenges where the player with the GamePad places blocks to jump on.

Nintendo Life reported the demo as being available in the UK, not sure if it's in the NA eShop yet.

Yes I enjoyed it.

If you haven't, I recommend trying the ANNO Mutationem demo. Impressed me a lot.

There's a game called "Yahaha" and it isn't about finding Koroks..? šŸ¤”
Wait what's going on with everyone's avatar this week? I need to catch up on my Famiboards lore in the General Discussion thread, I bet.
(And every time I find a Korok, I say Yahaha to our kitty just before the Korok says it. šŸ˜„)
Yes I enjoyed it.

If you haven't, I recommend trying the ANNO Mutationem demo. Impressed me a lot.
Thanks for both recommendations!

Wait what's going on with everyone's avatar this week? I need to catch up on my Famiboards lore in the General Discussion thread, I bet.
Click the thingie to edit your avatar and see what's new. šŸ˜‰
(And every time I find a Korok, I say Yahaha to our kitty just before the Korok says it. šŸ˜„)
As it should be

Anyone grab Kamisawa yet? Iā€™m super interested but canā€™t grab it yet. Maybe Iā€™ll get lucky and grab it on a generic deal next month
Yep I did! If you loved Tenchu games on PS2, this is more like a parody of them. Same dev, same gameplay. But the main character Ibizu has more moves to avoid detection and some are pretty hilarious.

Keep in mind that this is a 16 year old game.

Yep I did! If you loved Tenchu games on PS2, this is more like a parody of them. Same dev, same gameplay. But the main character Ibizu has more moves to avoid detection and some are pretty hilarious.

Keep in mind that this is a 16 year old game.
I play N64/dreamcast/Saturn stuff all the time. Iā€™m cool with funky ps2 stuff as long as itā€™s interesting

Played through the TOEM DLC the other night. It was cool of them to add the extra area. There are a couple extra mechanics they add: a water balloon attachment to your camera (used to water flowers and pop balloons for two of the quests, among other things) and the ability to take a nap to change the time of day from day to night or the reverse. There are water levels in the area that recede at night, so you have to go back and forth to access different areas/quests/animals. It adds 20 quests (you have to complete 10 to hit the credits), 20 animals to find, and of course some new clothing items. It took me maybe an hour or so to complete everything. It was fun playing the game again. I think it's still on sale for half off if anyone is looking for a short, chill adventure.

Dicey Dungeons update. The Elimination Round episodes contribute to be incredibly difficult at points. After several days and 18 failed attempts, we finally beat our fifth one with The Witch. Man, this game is so freaking good. This was definitely one of the most satisfying moments yet.

Dicey Dungeons is a really hard game. Do you have any tips for not sucking at it? Lol.

The Halloween DLC is fun. I think I've been able to beat those and the first episodes in the main content.

What I like about them is that they review games after they receive patches. Other sites are one and done upon release.

From the current sale, I think Iā€™ll grab the first Ori which is rarely on sale, could use the Gold Coins I have that expire this month. Thereā€™s also the sequel which is on sale until tomorrow and has an all time low, judging by its history it might not be as low next time itā€™s on sale. However, I donā€™t wanna buy games that Iā€™m not playing immediately, is it fine to play both games back to back or would it be better to have some time between the two? I heard the sequel is an improvement across the board but they still look pretty similar so I wouldnā€™t want to get burned out

From the current sale, I think Iā€™ll grab the first Ori which is rarely on sale, could use the Gold Coins I have that expire this month. Thereā€™s also the sequel which is on sale until tomorrow and has an all time low, judging by its history it might not be as low next time itā€™s on sale. However, I donā€™t wanna buy games that Iā€™m not playing immediately, is it fine to play both games back to back or would it be better to have some time between the two? I heard the sequel is an improvement across the board but they still look pretty similar so I wouldnā€™t want to get burned out
I personally absolutely love both Ori games and I do think if get burned out playing them back to back. For me the sequel has a lot of compelling changes and improvements but I still think the original is equally sublime with its own epic merits.

Played through the TOEM DLC the other night. It was cool of them to add the extra area. There are a couple extra mechanics they add: a water balloon attachment to your camera (used to water flowers and pop balloons for two of the quests, among other things) and the ability to take a nap to change the time of day from day to night or the reverse. There are water levels in the area that recede at night, so you have to go back and forth to access different areas/quests/animals. It adds 20 quests (you have to complete 10 to hit the credits), 20 animals to find, and of course some new clothing items. It took me maybe an hour or so to complete everything. It was fun playing the game again. I think it's still on sale for half off if anyone is looking for a short, chill adventure.
still absorbed by OlliOlli World but I grabbed Toem to play later... hopefully...
I personally absolutely love both Ori games and I do think if get burned out playing them back to back. For me the sequel has a lot of compelling changes and improvements but I still think the original is equally sublime with its own epic merits.
Ori 1 looks/runs better on Switch for one XD

Amanita Design's excellent lil 2019 game Pilgrims is coming out on november 3rd:

I played it on PC a year or two back and enjoyed it a whole lotā€”it expands one of the best puzzles from Samorost 3 into a whole little nonlinear adventure with a lot of cute ideas; i definitely recommend it

Gonna grab Grapple Dog at 50% off - it's at its lowest price of $7.50. Heard great things from a thread by Nocturnowl on the old forum.

Gonna grab Grapple Dog at 50% off - it's at its lowest price of $7.50. Heard great things from a thread by Nocturnowl on the old forum.
Its awesome! Totally recommended , very charming, great mechanics and very good ost. Gonna quote myself on this

10. Grapple Dog: Masterpiece. I had in my backlog and was looking for something simple before Kirby. Looking at the graphics I thought it was going to be more on the easier side like Mutant Mudds but I was wrong. The first two worlds are the tutorials and after that it's grappling time doing some crazy things with the hook putting bionic commando to shame. Also every level is very well crafted and the difficulty curve is very well planned as it offers options according to your skill ,there will always be 2 or 3 easier purple gems that doesn't need complex hooks mechanics, and 2 extra gems just for collecting fruits on the level (and there are accesibility options like no damage or infinite jumping). Really the only thing I didn't like is that B is accept and A is cancel in the main menu.

Back
Top Bottom