• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo eShop |ST Mar. 2022|

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pixelknight Just wanted to thank you for your detailed Dark Deity thoughts. I re-watched some review videos last week and your post was way more in depth and exciting to read. I was hyped before but I'm excited to level up to the different classes so much now.
Oh you’re quite welcome, I’m glad my tediously-long post was useful to at least a couple of people :)

I’ve gone cold on The Messenger. The first half is a really good platformer, I love the 8-bit and 16-bit visuals, the music, and the move set is great, it’s a joy to play and make progress. But the second half is increasingly cryptic fetch quests, which wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the lack of direction in where to go in the huge levels that take a long time to traverse. The fast travel is limited, and even the hint system can be really vague, in one case telling me where to go to solve the clue but not where to get the previous two things needed to develop the ability to do so. It’s been Six hours of amazing platformer followed by six hours of wandering around. Which is a shame, as the increase in difficulty is still fun for me, it’s just not when I’m repeating the same stuff over and over with no idea what to do or where to go.

I picked up SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash. It's a very charming and addictive card game that I think fans of Pokemon TCG will enjoy. You don't need to be fans of SNK or Capcom characters either. It's just a great game.

the lack of direction in where to go in the huge levels that take a long time to traverse.
This is the exact problem I had with the game. The platforming mechanics feel great and the idea to change the gameplay loop in the middle of the game is at least novel, but the levels feel more designed towards the 8-bit platforming and eventually become a chore to traverse trough in the 16-bit adventure.

It's not a bad game and I don't regret playing it (I even returned to it for the DLC that released after I had finished it), but it's a shame that it cannot hold the same level of quality all the way to the end.

It’s been Six hours of amazing platformer followed by six hours of wandering around.
I can't recall a game recently that disappointed me more than The Messenger. The first half was amazing, and not long after reaching the halfway point I just bailed. The game really didn't need to take the swing in style that it did imo.

I can't recall a game recently that disappointed me more than The Messenger. The first half was amazing, and not long after reaching the halfway point I just bailed. The game really didn't need to take the swing in style that it did imo.
Yeah that’s exactly how I feel. The first half had me thinking ‘this is one of the best ’8-bit revival platformers’ I’ve played’, but the second half just has had me ditch it purely because I don’t have the time or inclination to search their entire game world based on vague clues. It’s not even just hoping you stumble across stuff, it’s hoping you stumble across stuff in the right order as you can’t interact with it or even understand it’s importance until you do, thus needlessly padding out a game where the interaction points are behind lengthy platforming sections and nowhere near fast travel sections.

It’s a shame really, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a fun game take such a deliberate turn for the worse in a while. I loved the shopkeeper and everything else that was going on, I really wanted to see where the story was going, if the second half was just more directed like the first I’d have loved it. I love exploration in platformers, or metroidvania elements or whatever, but it just felt unnecessary here, and even more obviously so when the first half of the game is so tightly and expertly designed.

Last edited:
Moonlighter at 80% off and Children of Morta at 70% off are unmissable deals for anyone who doesn't have them already - two incredibly addictive games, among my favourite on the Switch.

I’ve gone cold on The Messenger. The first half is a really good platformer, I love the 8-bit and 16-bit visuals, the music, and the move set is great, it’s a joy to play and make progress. But the second half is increasingly cryptic fetch quests, which wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the lack of direction in where to go in the huge levels that take a long time to traverse. The fast travel is limited, and even the hint system can be really vague, in one case telling me where to go to solve the clue but not where to get the previous two things needed to develop the ability to do so. It’s been Six hours of amazing platformer followed by six hours of wandering around. Which is a shame, as the increase in difficulty is still fun for me, it’s just not when I’m repeating the same stuff over and over with no idea what to do or where to go.
I didn't think the The Messenger was that good. As everyone says, it started well.

I much preferred 'Katana Zero' which is a far better game.

I didn't think the The Messenger was that good. As everyone says, it started well.

I much preferred 'Katana Zero' which is a far better game.
Honestly I wish I’d picked that up instead now as both were on sale and the sale has now ended! Ah well, maybe next time.

I loved absolutely every bit of The Messenger, so I'm a little out of place apparently XD
I’m sure that happens to us all now and then, I’ve definitely raved about various indies over the last decade that have been met with a shrug by poor sods who’ve picked it up on my dubious recommendation :D

I’m sure that happens to us all now and then, I’ve definitely raved about various indies over the last decade that have been met with a shrug by poor sods who’ve picked it up on my dubious recommendation :D
Sure, it happens to me a lot. See Golf Story lol

Undoubtedly, the second part of The Messenger is a bit slower, but I never stopped to have fun, maybe because I enjoyed the traversal mechanics? And the way the game forces you to learn and put in practice all those skills, especially in that second part.

Moonlighter at 80% off and Children of Morta at 70% off are unmissable deals for anyone who doesn't have them already - two incredibly addictive games, among my favourite on the Switch.
Purchased them both moments ago. The complete editions, no less.

Uh, has Wario taken possession of this board?

I recommend Wide Ocean Big Jacket, especially when you can have it for 1€/$. Short and sweet.

Controls are clunky, it must be said, and graphics are not ambitious, to put it this way. But you'll love your time with this people.

CoM is awesome. I personally couldn't get into Moonlighter.
Yep Children of Morta ist my favorite rogue-lite. I bought the Complete Edition in this last Switch sale after playing through it on Game Pass. I love that almost every run you get a new story development or you find something your family members will interact with. The gameplay itself is also great. Every family member plays quite differently from each other and some encounters just felt easier using certain characters, which made switching between them worthwhile.

Trails of Could Steel games are on sale right now, but only until April 3rd. I finished the second game not too long ago and just waited for the series to go on sale again. Going to snatch both the third and the fourth game. I'm also going to buy Vigil: The longest Night. But then i'm good with buying games for my Switch for a while. I have bought so many games for my Switch in the last few sales and haven't played most of them yet. I also have to finish quite a few i have already started. The last one i finished this year was Skyward Sword.

I have bought so many games on different platforms when they were on sale... I don't know If i get to play them all. So many awesome games i'm interested in release all the time. My Switch wishlist alone is so huge. Even with me crossing games off my list it never stops growing.

Yep Children of Morta ist my favorite rogue-lite. I bought the Complete Edition in this last Switch sale after playing through it on Game Pass. I love that almost every run you get a new story development or you find something your family members will interact with. The gameplay itself is also great. Every family member plays quite differently from each other and some encounters just felt easier using certain characters, which made switching between them worthwhile.

Trails of Could Steel games are on sale right now, but only until April 3rd. I finished the second game not too long ago and just waited for the series to go on sale again. Going to snatch both the third and the fourth game. I'm also going to buy Vigil: The longest Night. But then i'm good with buying games for my Switch for a while. I have bought so many games for my Switch in the last few sales and haven't played most of them yet. I also have to finish quite a few i have already started. The last one i finished this year was Skyward Sword.

I have bought so many games on different platforms when they were on sale... I don't know If i get to play them all. So many awesome games i'm interested in release all the time. My Switch wishlist alone is so huge. Even with me crossing games off my list it never stops growing.
Ah, another case of "more money, less time".

The backlog?
9848ba06b7ed48ef296bde8f357654a3.gif

CoM is pretty darn cool. What does the complete edition have? I think I only have the standard version.

Saw that some of my gold coins were about to expire and figured I'd nab Overcooked 2. Time to get into shouting matches with my girlfriend again!

Ah, another case of "more money, less time".

The backlog?
9848ba06b7ed48ef296bde8f357654a3.gif
Yeah it's always not enough time.
CoM is pretty darn cool. What does the complete edition have? I think I only have the standard version.
It adds a new playable character and changeable skins for your characters. Also a feature that lets you interact with different animals that visit your home. Also new stories to find on your excursions, through i don't know If that was a free update or not. It's all stuff i'm interested in and looking forward to when i'm doing a replay.

Contemplating prinny presents NISA classics vol1

Edit: everyone’s yeahing but nobody’s trying to sell me on it XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom