• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo eShop |ST Jan. 2022|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also picked up Chicory. Want to check out the best indie offerings of 2021.

Still haven't played Eastward, TOEM, Unsighted, Unpacking etc.

I'm getting close to the end of Death's Door. It's been fun, although I've never quite warmed up to the combat. Boss fights and some of the more challenging enemies are great, but there's a bit too much of "here's a bunch of basic enemies, kill them to proceed" for my liking. I think you could just cut half of these fights and add nothing in their place, and it would be a better game.

It's still one of the best 2021 games I've played though! Great atmosphere, environment, soundtrack, writing and everything.

A couple previews for OlliOlli World have hit youtube/online. I want to get the game, it looks good but I had issues getting used to the controls of the originals so I'm very very hesitant to take a chance on it.

It seems a lot of indie titles get to test the waters first on Game Pass then a few months afterwards they come to Switch. I'm hoping Moonglow Bay is one of those.

I didn't realize that the game came out already. It does seem like some games have quicker Xbox runs than I expected, less than a year. Death's Door, Chicory, Artful Escape.

It seems a lot of indie titles get to test the waters first on Game Pass then a few months afterwards they come to Switch. I'm hoping Moonglow Bay is one of those.
Yeah! I was thinking the same thing. Death's Door, Twelve Minutes, and now The Artful Escape have been 4 months after release on xbox. So if we go by that logic Moonglow Bay Could be the end of February or March, but they are also working on updating the game because of complaints at launch. So that might be a bit behind, but Sable should be free to go in any day now too. Fingers Crossed this means 4 months for Nobody Saves the World and Tunic as well.

Yeah! I was thinking the same thing. Death's Door, Twelve Minutes, and now The Artful Escape have been 4 months after release on xbox. So if we go by that logic Moonglow Bay Could be the end of February or March, but they are also working on updating the game because of complaints at launch. So that might be a bit behind, but Sable should be free to go in any day now too. Fingers Crossed this means 4 months for Nobody Saves the World and Tunic as well.
It would be crazy (and awesome) to see Tunic leave Xbox after years of Xbox promotion. I thought it had exclusivity but that was probably my own assumption.

Edit: oh wow launch exclusive only indeed..the game will get so much more attention on Switch if it turns out well.

I really enjoyed Star Ocean, good traditional jrpg. Alien isolation would be considered the best of the three though.

OK, trying to figure out between these 3 games as a future purchase: Alien Isolation; Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection; Star Ocean First Departure. Advice?
Best value for money would be Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection if you like those games. Especially if you haven't played Black Flag, I played for the first time on Switch and loved it.

New stuff - My plan is to create this list every Friday, so that way it will usually show any new releases coming out the next week.

And here's the list for everything coming next week:

Jan 25 Angelo and Deemon: One Hell of a Quest
Jan 25 The Longest Road on Earth
Jan 25 Reverie Knights Tactics
Jan 26 PopSlinger
Jan 26 Summertime Madness
Jan 26 Elasto Mania Remastered
Jan 26 Cake Invaders
Jan 26 Froggy Crossing
Jan 27 Unforeseen Incidents
Jan 27 Hidden Paws
Jan 27 Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX 2
Jan 27 Pandemic Shooter
Jan 27 Vagante
Jan 27 COGEN: Sword of Rewind
Jan 27 Gomoku Let's Go
Jan 27 Concordia: Digital Edition
Jan 27 Crazy Athletics - Summer Sports and Games
Jan 27 Magi Trials
Jan 27 Crush Crush
Jan 28 Pokémon™ Legends: Arceus
Jan 28 Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-
Jan 28 Super Onion Boy 2
Jan 28 Re:Turn 2 - Runaway
Jan 28 Peace, Death! 2
Jan 29 Magic Pen Color Book

Obviously the big title is Pokémon™ Legends: Arceus, but Record of Lodoss War also seems to be well regarded. I am also somewhat interested in Vagante, and Gunvolt Chronicles and COGEN both look like fun games for those that like Megaman type games.

Is there anything else you all are looking forward to this week?

Last edited:
OK, trying to figure out between these 3 games as a future purchase: Alien Isolation; Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection; Star Ocean First Departure. Advice?
Star Ocean doesn't have followups on Switch. They're not direct sequels but you'd wanna play the second one after the first. AC Rebel is a must if you haven't played it.

All of the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's gate, etc.) on Switch just went on sale in the US for $10 each. Does anyone have any thoughts on these, particularly if you're playing portable?

That Record of Lodoss War game does look pretty interesting.

I bought Tetris Effect: Connected when it was on sale and I think I like it better than the PS4 version simply because of the Joy-Con. Those d-pad buttons are perfect for Tetris and I'm noticeably faster and more precise on Switch than I was on PS4. The best Tetris on Switch is still 99 in my opinion, but Effect is a good port of a good game. Back when the Switch was launched I never thought I would own four different Tetris games on it, but here we are.

I completed TOEM together with my 11 year old daughter - it was one of the most fun games we've ever played together, a really wonderful and cosy game with lots of heart. We loved exploring the world and interacting with the characters, fulfilling all their quests. We loved the magic and mystery of the world and it's lore. We loved the art and music One of the best, cleverest, sweetest Indies we've played on Switch!

In my backlog clearing effort, I finished Saint's Row 3 and just reached the end of Hollow Knight. About the latter, it's indeed a wonderful game. It took a while for me to get into it, maybe 5 hours, but then I was hooked and only played this up to completion. The progression is so smooth and the discoveries of the world are marvelous. Some of the latter boss fights were really tough, even more than the final boss, but other than that it is flawless. I feel really empty now, having the easiest ending, but I don't think I have the courage to keep pushing to reach the "better" ones. Closing the chapter of this game definitely brings the feels, it's one of the all time greats. Bravo.

Alien Isolation is a benchmark Switch port (that only goes on sale around Halloween) and a stellar game.

After careful consideration and a mutual on Twitter recommending Alien Isolation to me, that's what I'm going to go for. Thanks for everyone's input.

Play with the lights out and the sound turned up. Have spare pants close by. Fantastic game and probably the most frightened I've been playing a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom