• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo eShop |ST Feb. 2022|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me ask you all something. How is Shadow Man Remastered for someone who's never played Shadow Man before? Kind of don't know if it's one of those things you'd only really like in a nostalgic way or if newcomers can get into it. I've heard it described as a very non-hand-holdy exploration platformer, almost akin to a Metroidvania. That sounds great, but I wouldn't want it to be so obtuse as to make me rage-quit the game, lol.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Infernax is so good. Heading into what I think is the last dungeon now. It’s got a lot of good ideas- you make lots of choices throughout and their consequences carry forwards, you can often see the results in the background as you move around. It’s not so big that you can get lost, but exploration is rewarding too. It reminds of of other very tight Metroidvania titles too, stuff like Timespinner and Aggelos, both of which I also really enjoyed.

Really enjoying this too but there’s been some doozy of progression blockers, not challenge wise but design wise. Twice I’ve had to look something up now and not felt bad about it because I would’ve NEVER figured it out.

Using lightning spell to summon the third castle, and using the bird to hit those switches (I didn’t have money for the spell the first time I rolled through the town and skipped it, then forgot about it) — making critical path progression tied to an optional spell is a rough design choice

Hundred Days is out next week and I've been playing it some..I really enjoy what I played on Stadia and now on Switch. The touch controls work really well and this is a game I had no idea I wanted, but here we are! Check out my gameplay video..it is so nice looking(the game).

Really enjoying this too but there’s been some doozy of progression blockers, not challenge wise but design wise. Twice I’ve had to look something up now and not felt bad about it because I would’ve NEVER figured it out.

Using lightning spell to summon the third castle, and using the bird to hit those switches (I didn’t have money for the spell the first time I rolled through the town and skipped it, then forgot about it) — making critical path progression tied to an optional spell is a rough design choice
I got the ‘use the storm magic to summon the castle that only appears in a storm’ one straight away, but I have to admit I only found the familiars would operate those switches by sheer chance.

I guess there’s only so many upgrades you can buy and only one that interacts with objects at range so players would likely figure it out in the end, but yeah, it needed a clearer hint, like the switch having a shiny disc on it that looks like a coin or something as that’s what the familiars collect.

Endgame item spoiler-
I do like how the best armour and weapon are hidden in optional dungeons too, the latter at the end of a sidequest

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/an-npcs-odyssey-switch/
an-npcs-odyssey

RPG about an a NPC chasing after a Hero that stole the money in their house... comes out today.

So much potential for this being some discworld style parody, also so much potential for it to be a generic RPG maker game.
If anyone takes the plunge, willing to hear if this is special.

Edit: Took a look at the English video for this, unless they are purposely going meta, the translation feels a bit too zany video game quoteish..... sorry was going off the JP version and text when I made this post.

Last edited:
Hundred Days is out next week and I've been playing it some..I really enjoy what I played on Stadia and now on Switch. The touch controls work really well and this is a game I had no idea I wanted, but here we are! Check out my gameplay video..it is so nice looking(the game).

Yeah I'm really interested in this. Thanks for the vid.

Not sure if I'm the only one interested, but maybe news of the western version of Gotta Protectors sequel soon. Had a ton of fun with the 3DS game.

Yep, interested in this as well...

Well well well... Hollow Knight has finally gotten a sale (in EU) again, it's been a whopping 2 years and 4 months since the last one.

Now I'm conflicted because I had bought it this december on Steam for my backlog, but I like to game on the go much more...

In general I find that time-intensive games are easier to play through on portables. I would have never finished Hollow Knight on PC that’s for sure hahaha.

In general I find that time-intensive games are easier to play through on portables. I would have never finished Hollow Knight on PC that’s for sure hahaha.
It’s been the same for me for a very long time, I just find it easier to grab a portable for odd periods of time I can make a little progress in, whereas if I want to play on the TV, I tend to associate it with settling in for the whole afternoon/evening, which I rarely do.

Anyone have played/finished XCOM 2 recently on Switch? Its $5 and I’ve always wanted to try it but the bad things about it’s performance hold me back at it wasn’t exactly crazy cheap but right now…

Anyone have played/finished XCOM 2 recently on Switch? Its $5 and I’ve always wanted to try it but the bad things about it’s performance hold me back at it wasn’t exactly crazy cheap but right now…

I picked it in the $5 sale and have been playing it a bunch. I'm not super bothered by that kind of stuff, especially in this type of game, so I've been finding it quite playable. There are parts that look pretty bad and it definitely gets a little choppy sometimes, but I'm still enjoying it.

In terms of visuals, I think the worst things is whenever there's a closeup view of your soldiers. During a typical mission the environments look pretty good and since you are so zoomed out, you can't really notice how bad your soldiers look... lol

I've finally been playing AI: Somnium Files which I picked up ages ago. After some initial problems I've been finding it quite enjoyable. The mystery it sets up is interesting, and the way the branching narrative is made into a mechanic is actually quite interesting.

The way the writing pushes in comments about breasts at every turn completely unnecessarily is pretty horrible though, and I can see how it could ruin the whole experience for some. It's not the only problem I have with the writing either. I find myself skipping a lot of the dialogue and finding the underlying story better than the way it is presented.

I've also played some levels of OlliOlli 1, which I picked up just to figure out whether I could like OlliOlli World. The gameplay is fun enough, and I'd imagine the (seemingly) friendlier presentation would make it a more enjoyable experience, so I may pick that up.

Like many, I picked up Xcom from the sale, but I still haven't tried it.

Gosh, the new mobile eShop is so difficult to navigate and not user-friendly at all. I can’t figure out how to see ALL deals, and not just deals that are a part of the featured collections.

For example: when I look at the “Under $30” tag, I can see that Hollow Knight is on sale. But it’s not in the “All Deals” section, because it’s not in the Double Gold, Ubisoft, Capcom or Cuphead sale. So how do I see a list of ALL games that are on sale, without having to also dig through the endless catalogue of games that are under $30 regularly? (I believe the tag is “Under $15” in US)

I picked it in the $5 sale and have been playing it a bunch. I'm not super bothered by that kind of stuff, especially in this type of game, so I've been finding it quite playable. There are parts that look pretty bad and it definitely gets a little choppy sometimes, but I'm still enjoying it.

In terms of visuals, I think the worst things is whenever there's a closeup view of your soldiers. During a typical mission the environments look pretty good and since you are so zoomed out, you can't really notice how bad your soldiers look... lol
The things is that most people complain when they are well into their campaigns, like second half, things get more convoluted and the Switch doesn’t handle it well and that it is worse with the expansion.

Just got Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town in the eu feb sale and got this months release Grapple Dog. Played a few levels of grapple dog and i love it! The art style is cute and the gameplay is pretty good. Also late to the party and got Shovel Knight Pocket dungeon, will try that one soon.

Just got Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town in the eu feb sale and got this months release Grapple Dog. Played a few levels of grapple dog and i love it! The art style is cute and the gameplay is pretty good. Also late to the party and got Shovel Knight Pocket dungeon, will try that one soon.
Awesome picks! I'm waiting for a sale for Grapple Dog and Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon but I'm very interested in both so further impressions will be eagerly anticipated! I haven't gotten to see many regular impressions of Grapple Dog in particular and it was a bit polarizing in reviews in terms of controls and frustration (and some saying both were sublime).

Awesome picks! I'm waiting for a sale for Grapple Dog and Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon but I'm very interested in both so further impressions will be eagerly anticipated! I haven't gotten to see many regular impressions of Grapple Dog in particular and it was a bit polarizing in reviews in terms of controls and frustration (and some saying both were sublime).
Once i played a bit more i will let you know! But the little bit i played was amazing so far of Grapple Dog. Pocket Dungeon is pretty nice aswell neat twist to the old drop down puzzle formula. And thanks ^^

Once i played a bit more i will let you know! But the little bit i played was amazing so far of Grapple Dog. Pocket Dungeon is pretty nice aswell neat twist to the old drop down puzzle formula. And thanks ^^
Thanks, glad you're enjoying them!

Hey I played Wild at Heart (on Xbox) and it is REALLY GOOD!! The music, the hand drawn looking graphics, controlling your little army Pikmin style, it’s just a fun game and I highly recommend it if you like Pikmin and/or adventure games with light RPG elements.

Chicory is also great. I do think how much you intend to “paint the world” may affect your enjoyment. You can do as much or little as you want with that as you play since the whole world is black and white by default. But the story is emotional and great, the art style rocks, characters are super charming, lots of neat puzzles using the paint/brush mechanic. All around wonderful experience.
I followed your recommendation and I'm really glad I did! The Wild at Heart is absolutely superb! Me and my 11 year old daughter are loving it. I'm very impressed by the art, music, story and gameplay - the whole package. It's so polished and fun - a gem of a game. I think anyone who enjoyed Pikmin and wants more would have a fantastic time. Thanks again!

I followed your recommendation and I'm really glad I did! The Wild at Heart is absolutely superb! Me and my 11 year old daughter are loving it. I'm very impressed by the art, music, story and gameplay - the whole package. It's so polished and fun - a gem of a game. I think anyone who enjoyed Pikmin and wants more would have a fantastic time. Thanks again!

Great to hear - I’m always afraid to feel immensely faves I love as I have weird taste lol.
I love this game so much that, while I have been playing it through Gamepass, I’m going to go on and purchase it. This is one of those games I need to own, and want to support the dev team even more.

(Slightly off topic but it’s weird I find myself buying quite a bit of the games that come to GP. So I guess they win? Lol)

Doom (2016) is on sale for €10 on the EU eShop, all the older Doom games are on sale as well. I already have it on PS4, but never finished it and have been playing games pretty exclusively on Switch in portable mode for the past few years, so I'll probably just pick it up again.

Sorry I don't have the March thread up. Nintendo's website redesign really messed my automated method of pulling all of the game releases, so I've been rewriting and overhauling it a bit. I'm hopeful that I'll get it up today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom