• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
This direct could potentially be really great. Though im mainly interested in a new 2D Zelda/DK and anything else a bonus. There will probably be a good amount of "filler" for a final Switch direct, and then end off with Metroid Prime 4 hopefully. The reactions to Prime 4 will probably be legendary.

Also not really expecting Silksong(ive kind of lost hope) but if its also shown, then even more crazy reactions lol.

Who is this guy??? I guess its the 18th confirmed :ROFLMAO:

So Nate just deconfirmed Prime 4 for this year on the other forum...

It's so fucking over. I guess that does open up the holiday slot for something cool this year though.
I don't think he deconfirmed anything, it might be just speculation. He speculated that the game would come by late 2023 or early 2024 based of the MPR shadow drop and maybe heard something about that window(Emily did say back in 2021 that it was aiming for 2023). He might be just speculating again. I don't think we should take that as a leak.
I legit think Pyoro’s source was caught.
You forgot to add the /s
Nate: "I agree that Metroid Prime 4 could release in 2025"

Overreactors: "wow I guess we won't see Metroid Prime 4 at the Direct or in the rest of 2024 or even ever at all because it's all over now"
Yeah, I just wish the game would appear on this Direct even if it's not coming until late 2025. They have shown both Princess Peach Showtime and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD last June so I think it makes sense to show MP4.
The whole advantage the game would get on being next gen would be it already being hyped by the time the Switch 2 trailer is revealed, I don't think a first reveal alongside 3D Mario and Mario Kart will do it any favors.
But the game might still come in 2024, and I believe it already being(apparently) internally delayed once and many hirings for Retro not mentioning Prime 4 anymore makes it not sound too far fetched.
There's also pretty much nothing left for H2 2024, but if MP4 is 2025 I hope we get 2D Zelda and Donkey Kong.

BUT DAMN LET ME SEE IT 😭
Maybe I jumped the gun, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a game that is now launching on 2025 is no longer a priority for Nintendo's marketing
It could've been aiming for 2025 for awhile or it could still come this year, we don't know that. But I think it's the prime(ba dum tss) candidate for a reveal this Direct even if it's 2025. I mean Luigi's Mansion 2 HD was shown a year ahead of release, Bayonetta 3 and Pikmin 4 got re-revealed about a year before their releases, so I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect Metroid Prime 4 if it's coming in March-May 2025.

I always get them mixed up because of the no localized name on Blazing, I think I always just assume Blazing Blade is Roy's game, but yeah I played Blazing Blade around release
Blazing Blade is Lyn/Eliwood/Hector.
Binding Blades is Roy.

This is how I always remember it: "I'd rather BIND my eyes with a spike strip than look at Roy's pathetic stats!"

Blazing Blade is Lyn/Eliwood/Hector.
Binding Blades is Roy.

This is how I always remember it: "I'd rather BIND my eyes with a spike strip than look at Roy's pathetic stats!"
I think as the rare Smash Fan who is also a FE fan I just auto think of Roy's sword having fire effects and thinking its Blazing Blade lmao

As someone who has grown up with Fire Emblem and whose favorite games in the series are Blazing Sword, Awakening, and Three Houses, I love seeing all of the discourse! But I also just love variety in the series overall. I love that we can have games that focus on different aspects of the experience, and the fact that IntSys isn't afraid to switch things up with new games makes me love them even more.

I 100% get and to a great extent agree with the hope of a new Fire Emblem game that has phenomenal gameplay, great graphics, engaging characters, and a well-done plot someday. But until then, I'm fine with IntSys focusing on one or two of these things per game until they feel like they can combine it all.

Oh I just missed the fire emblem discourse, lucky me.
Every fire emblem is both cringe trash and epic masterclass, that’s the only truth (and that path of radiance is overrated)

Oh I just missed the fire emblem discourse, lucky me.
Every fire emblem is both cringe trash and epic masterclass, that’s the only truth (and that path of radiance is overrated)
FE Engage fans and FE three houses fans... Crucify his ass. /jk

lebron-james-marcus-smart.gif

If Metroid Prime 4 is releasing this year, I think it's basically guaranteed to be in this next Direct. If it's releasing in 2025, I think it could go either way.

I'd say the reasons to not show it would be either that it's not ready (doubtful, in my opinion) or that it's getting a native Switch 2 version and Nintendo wants to tie the marketing to that console.

I think the reason to show it regardless is that the game is long overdue and this is potentially the last Switch-only Direct with a strong first-party presence. With the announcement that the Switch 2 will be announced this fiscal year, I think Nintendo has officially signaled the time of Switch being their focus is ending, and it feels right to me to finally make good on that promise from 2017 before moving on. It's the unfinished business of the console, and this feels like the right place and right time to take care of it. Even if the game is getting a Switch 2 version, I think you could show it like how Breath of the Wild was shown on Wii U with a 2017 release date before becoming a flagship Switch launch title.

Personally, I think the odds are higher that we see it than that we don't. I guess we'll have answers within two weeks.

I actually wouldn't mind some aspects of Oosawa's manga to be part of the FE4 Remake.

Some.
There is one thing that I actually want the remake to implement, its
reuniting with some Gen 1 units, there was supposedly a scrapped storyline where some members survived but were turned to stone and left as statues and I think you'd free them from their petrified prison(?), which is then mostly referenced by the four statues that look eerily familiar in FE5, often speculated to be Lachesis, Ayra, Azelle, and Lex.

As a counterpoint to the “Prime 4 has to be ready, it’s been 5.5 years” argument.

Fable 4 started development a year before Prime 4 and is aiming to release late 2025 and has not revealed any gameplay mechanics in the four years since announcement.

My favorite thing about FE: Three Houses is being able to marry the goddess inside your head by simply slipping a wedding ring on your own finger.

June 18 is feeling like a lock at this point, just too much smoke. Lately I’ve actually been feeling more optimistic about WW and TP’s chances on Switch - not necessarily at this Direct, but at some point. Too many reputable insiders mentioned their existence, and it wouldn’t make sense for Nintendo to scrap them when they can just use them any given time. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they wait until Switch 2 is out and use them to keep feeding Switch 1, while being backwards compatible with the next system.

Three Houses rules. Only modern Fire Emblem that actually got me genuinely invested in the world and characters. That matters a lot to me and plenty others, hence why it’s so popular.

If you’re gonna make me play a 40+ hour JRPG, the story and writing better be at least passable. Engage got away with it by virtue of how goddamn terrible the endgame writing was, but lordy was the middle of the game tough to get through.

Switching the FE convo to another controversial one?

Tropical Freeze is my favorite 2D platformer ever, but “fucking Donkey Kong” was understandable in 2014.
Yeah... DK tropical freeze released at such a bad time, especially when this was a Wii U title.

Like people didn't really like 2D platformers and it was a dying genre, it was until recent years (2016-2017) that reminded people ,,2D games rocks''.

Like when the game released, people asked ,, Why were Retro making this mediocre garbage and not Prime 4'' Or ,,This is unoriginal trash'' It's extremely weird seeing people chance their mind about the game, another title that sadly was also released at the wrong time would be 3D World.

Who is this guy??? I guess its the 18th confirmed :ROFLMAO:
Choctopus is just a YouTuber, and they said in a discord group that ‘it could also be 9am’ so definitely doesn’t mean anything

~~~

FE wise I kinda like how mechanically certain mechanics from Awakening/Fates/Engage remind me of stuff from Super Robot Wars - so clearly the next mechanical addition should be the insanity of SRW styled combination attacks (combined with both a squad or pair system and support attack for maximum chaos)
…probably wouldn’t work in Jugdral tbh

Who cares about Three Houses discourse when you have Rika Suzuki's illustrated FE8 novel

images

Anyways I'm getting the vibes that everyone is kinda chasing each other's tails with the 18th hype and its not really locked in yet. Need something stronger personally.

Remember when A Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D World came out within like a day of each other? I remember leaving the lab where I worked on a Friday night, stopped by a Gamestop to pick up both, and headed home for a well deserved gaming session. Something like that won't ever happen again because there's only one system but damn, a new Mario and a new Zelda is like a Nintendo fans dream release.

Can't sleep (it's 3:35 AM in France) so I rewatched both Xenoblade 3 & Future Redeemed endings.

I can't imagine what Monolith is cooking for the next console and I hope Takahashi never stops writing.

Yeah... DK tropical freeze released at such a bad time, especially when this was a Wii U title.

Like people didn't really like 2D platformers and it was a dying genre, it was until recent years (2016-2017) that reminded people ,,2D games rocks''.

Like when the game released, people asked ,, Why were Retro making this mediocre garbage and not Prime 4'' Or ,,This is unoriginal trash'' It's extremely weird seeing people chance their mind about the game, another title that sadly was also released at the wrong time would be 3D World.
The last game Metroid fans got was Other M and they were annoyed. Why they expected Retro to be working on new Metroid game, when Returns alone has sold more than the entire Prime series, is beyond me. But they set themselves up for disappointment and got vocally pissed off about it. And everyone who was either disappointment or just straight up hated Nintendo during the time joined in on the hate, as if they were actually going to buy a Wii U had it been Prime 4. As if a niche IP like Metroid Prime was going to help the Wii U more than DONKEY KONG.

Tropical Freeze wasn't badly timed, it was honestly the better option for Nintendo at that moment. They ended up selling a couple million of a great game instead of pleasing an angry mob that wouldn't have showed up anyway.

Yeah, I definitely don’t agree with those who were shitting on the game itself or diminishing 2D platformers.

But beyond all the immature rage, it was a lineup diversity problem at its core - and that I agree with. Putting one of Nintendo’s only developers experienced in 3D Action Adventure games on a 2D platformer when the system already had NSMBU and NSLU, was getting Woolly World and the most 2D Mario-adjacent 3D Mario in 3D World still doesn’t make a lot of sense.

We’ve moved on to better times now so it doesn’t matter anymore, and I’m thankful as fuck that we got Tropical Freeze, but yeah - there was always a morsel of truth to FDK. And the Switch thriving with a much more diverse and even lineup (from year one, no less) proves that a bit.

Switching the FE convo to another controversial one?

Tropical Freeze is my favorite 2D platformer ever, but “fucking Donkey Kong” was understandable in 2014.

Yeah while it was a bit overblown, people were looking for the big reason to buy the Wii U, and they got a platformer game that could be on any Nintendo console. People were also hoping for a serious looking game with nice graphics, and while DKTF looks nice in its own way, it didn't have any of those hi-tech sci-fi graphics.

Honestly, it's not like Nintendo in general was inundated with loads of DK content and people were just sick of the IP. It had just gotten its first non-gimmick mainline game after a decade in 2010 and received a port of that same game in 2013. The root of the backlash with TF was the company's overuse of 2D platformers at that point and letting the brand become increasingly irrelevant to a broader audience that simply getting another Country release was considered outrageous.

If many fans were upset that time and resources were being spent on a Donkey Kong release, then some responsibility lies with Nintendo (either directly or indirectly) allowing it to not be seen as a priority series.

Last edited:
Yeah while it was a bit overblown, people were looking for the big reason to buy the Wii U, and they got a platformer game that could be on any Nintendo console. People were also hoping for a serious looking game with nice graphics, and while DKTF looks nice in its own way, it didn't have any of those hi-tech sci-fi graphics.
I wouldn’t even say it needed sci fi, dark or serious. Just purely a genre diversity thing.

It’d be like having Retro make a JRPG in the switch era.

god if it closes on FE4 remake it might be the best direct experience ive ever had. expecting it to open on it so if it doesn't im probably gonna resign myself to it not existing, so if they pull that "one more thing" shit and show me sigurd id ascend to another place

I'm sorry, but I'm not giving any credence to the "fucking Donkey Kong" temper tantrum. People are still pushing the narrative that the Wii U was flooded with 2D platformers despite there being a grand total of… two—New Super Mario Bros. U and Rayman Legends, which isn't even first-party—when Tropical Freeze was announced. Every other Nintendo franchise is allowed to have a dedicated studio, but Retro was skewered by entitled fans for daring to make a sequel to their best-selling game. Now Donkey Kong is on a decade-long hiatus and there's a realistic possibility that the Switch will be the first Nintendo console since the NES without an original Donkey Kong game. Also, Retro will probably never touch the franchise again. Good job, gamers!

A certain subset of Nintendo fans wanted Retro to become Nintendo's Naughty Dog and release an "Uncharted killer" because they were desperate for validation. The Wii U was coming off of the GameCube and Wii, two consoles that were mocked by the "hardcore gamers"—particularly in the Western games media—who dominated gaming discourse at the time. They deluded themselves into believing that Retro was secretly working on some AAA cinematic action game that would prove that Nintendo wasn't just for kids. Only then could the floundering Wii U be "saved." When it turned out that they were working on a cartoony platformer instead, all of the discontented Nintendo fans and Nintendo haters alike joined in on the dogpile to disparage what would end up being arguably the greatest 2D platformer ever made.

Mission structured games and linear closed world games tend to be way more fun than open world games

Let's debate that 🍿

Yep - Twilight Princess is about as big as I’d like for games to get for my own tastes. I just get so overwhelmed and lost interest in massive, open ended games, and find them far less replayable due to the time sinking and commitment.

Putting one of Nintendo’s only developers experienced in 3D Action Adventure games on a 2D platformer when the system already had NSMBU and NSLU, was getting Woolly World and the most 2D Mario-adjacent 3D Mario in 3D World still doesn’t make a lot of sense.
It was Retro that wanted to do another Donkey Kong game. They had unfinished business with the series (and they still do, from the perspective of fans, to be honest). And DKC Returns was a huge seller (more than all the Prime games combined iirc), so it was only logical to do a followup.

Back
Top Bottom