• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least those discourses dont think the last entry killed the franchise going forward.
Last time when I debated a "classic" Zelda-formula diehard, I brought up that the sales of the franchise was on a dangerous decline since Skyward Sword and a big change in the formula was needed. They told me that they'd rather see the franchise die than permanently become like BotW/TotK.

The discouse is obviously not as bad as it was with FE (especially during Awakening/Fates), but it's getting slowly there.

the only reason engage isn't a dating sim is because you shouldn't be allowed to date literal cardboard

also as someone who has played FE since Binding Blade came stateside I still think Engage isn't very good am I the outlier

I get the feeling there are going to be significant changes :ROFLMAO:
B06-032HN_artwork.png

Lachesis having tea in her Cipher art.....the teatime banner in Heroes featuring Genealogy characters.....they're adding teatime to the FE4 Remake aren't they?

Please dont turn this thread into an Engage vs 3H debate. That discourse has become tiring.

This is misinformation. We already know both games were in development around the same time, 3H was an outlier in sales so saying its a massive dropoff is not saying much. And unless we know their expectations is a mute point.
I meant in the context of the supposed pattern of sequels selling less on the same platform. Like, sure, they usually sell a bit less, but the severity of Engage's drop in sales was pretty abnormal, and obviously due to the game itself being unappealing to the wider audience. If the game had appealed to the 4m+ audience that bought 3H, than it probably would've sold way more. That's why I think FE4R has the potential to do a lot better than Engage (i.e. 3m+), I believe it'll be a much more appealing game. Plus, it'll mark the (probably?) long-awaited return of marriage and children mechanics which Nintendo will surely focus on in the marketing lol.

Fire Emblem fans that started with 3H will never truly be happy, because the only other Fire Emblem that was essentially half dating sim is Fates, and Fates really isn't good.
FE4 remake will be half dating sim too 👀🤔

I gotta say it's pretty amazing that all 10 fans of Engage are on fami.

Honestly, I prefer the "old guard vs. new blood" Fire Emblem fan debates more than I do the "where in the world is Pyoro Sandiego?" conversation, so keep at it, fami?
I remember when old guard vs new blood was those who played before awakening and those who got into it with awakening.

When I played FE4 I accidentally paired Larsei with her cousin (who was in a feud with his brother over who'd get to marry her which inevitably ends in one of them dying by the player's hand) because I had them adjacent to each other for too many turns.

"Three Houses has bad tactical gameplay and that's the only thing that matters in a Fire Emblem game" and "I can't wait for a Fire Emblem 4 remake and I hope it's pretty faithful" are two groups you would expect to have no overlap, but somehow do.

the only reason engage isn't a dating sim is because you shouldn't be allowed to date literal cardboard

also as someone who has played FE since Binding Blade came stateside I still think Engage isn't very good am I the outlier
The combat is great, everything else is meh at best.

When I played FE4 I accidentally paired Larsei with her cousin (who was in a feud with his brother over who'd get to marry her which inevitably ends in one of them dying by the player's hand) because I had them adjacent to each other for too many turns.
Oh boy I can't wait until someone exploits the jealousy glitch in the remake!

can confirm that as someone who has only played 3 Houses I am 10000% out to ruin Fire Emblem

however I got into Monster Hunter with Rise so where do I fall on the scale of franchise ruination there

can confirm that as someone who has only played 3 Houses I am 10000% out to ruin Fire Emblem

however I got into Monster Hunter with Rise so where do I fall on the scale of franchise ruination there
You are a filthy animu philistine to the people who think Monster Hunter should play like Dark Souls. 7/10 or so.

i think theres a lot more to what makes FE fun than the moment to moment tactical gameplay and map design. it annoys me a lot when people say 3h has "bad gameplay" when it doesnt! unit building is fun! the more simplistic map design isn't bad to me, its just different. 3H (and awakening/birthright/genealogy too) is just a different Mode to FE to me that i appreciate on its own level. even if i do generally prefer the thracia/conquest/engage Mode of FE.

The saddest thing about modern FE discourse is that it's led to two camps of people fighting over two games that were both heavily flawed and neither deserve the praise that their defenders feel the need to heap upon them so they can make the other side look more wrong.

Three Houses had better characters (excluding Byleth) and better world building, and probably the best main lords the series has ever seen (again, minus Byleth), but the story became strangled and confused thanks to them forcing 4 separate routes and the visuals are just ugly, and the fact that more than half of each of the 4 routes are completely identical is an absolute travesty of bad game design. (I can't believe the developers actually thought that nobody would want to play more than one route.) Also - the monastery sucks, but I did enjoy letting units train their weapon levels between chapters.

Engage had some of the best gameplay in the franchise, actually making changes to the somewhat stale formula that felt fresh and new rather than horribly broken (pair up, here's lookin' at you), but the characters are dull, the character designs were done by a Vtuber artist which was a terrible choice (I know that's subjective and all, but I truly think the art style had a more severe impact on pushing people away than the story did), and the story makes My Little Pony seem like a serious work of literary genius by comparison.

They both suck in truly terrific ways - but if we could get IS to like... take the good parts and marry them, we could have a pretty great next game.

Do we need to share Midori stuff since they were banned from the site? I suggest we just stop posting anything from this person.

I get wanting info, but is that all we care about at the cost of being a con and information thief for clout? Just annoying (this isn’t about you MetalLord. I’m just getting irritated with the leaker culture from the perspective of those that want the info).

Engage is more replayable for me since on replays I'm skipping most story scenes. 3 Houses is hard to replay since you have to spend so much time giving your students attention. I know you can automate it but that goes against how I want to play a strategy rpg.

...hoooold up.
Rekka no Ken was the one that came over back in the GBA days. We never officially got Fuuin no Tsurugi, right?

The saddest thing about modern FE discourse is that it's led to two camps of people fighting over two games that were both heavily flawed and neither deserve the praise that their defenders feel the need to heap upon them so they can make the other side look more wrong.

Three Houses had better characters (excluding Byleth) and better world building, and probably the best main lords the series has ever seen (again, minus Byleth), but the story became strangled and confused thanks to them forcing 4 separate routes and the visuals are just ugly, and the fact that more than half of each of the 4 routes are completely identical is an absolute travesty of bad game design. (I can't believe the developers actually thought that nobody would want to play more than one route.) Also - the monastery sucks, but I did enjoy letting units train their weapon levels between chapters.

Engage had some of the best gameplay in the franchise, actually making changes to the somewhat stale formula that felt fresh and new rather than horribly broken (pair up, here's lookin' at you), but the characters are dull, the character designs were done by a Vtuber artist which was a terrible choice (I know that's subjective and all, but I truly think the art style had a more sever impact on pushing people away than the story did), and the story makes My Little Pony seem like a serious work of literary genius by comparison.

They both suck in truly terrific ways - but if we could get IS to like... take the good parts and marry them, we could have a pretty great next game.
Hard agree with all of this as someone with over 250 hours in 3H and who got rid of Engage after the first 30 minutes.

Honestly, Three Houses' discourse longevity is crazy. "One of a kind"-type game.

And now I'm remembering that Three Houses also won Player Choice GOTY at the Keighley's, which is CRAZY for a SRPG.
Crazy good game. I'll never except any attempt at revisionism about its qualities, especially from Engage fans.
Three Houses > Engage

(I liked Engage, though, btw)

It’s not the serious plotline reasonated with the player, it’s the dating sim elements.
it was neither: it was having a cast of angsty anime teenagers (more angsty and more teenager than the standards of most FEs) and having a really interesting and well developed world

I'll be honest and I say this as a Fire Emblem fan, the discourse around the series gives Paper Mario discourse a run for its money and the ultra hardcore Fire Emblem fanbase might be one of the worst subgroups in the entire Nintendo fandom. And it's kind of been that way since the 2000s when the series made its international debut. I can remember a time when some people were saying that Sacred Stones was going against what the series stood for. And don't get me started on Fire Emblem Heroes Youtubers. There is a certain percentage of the fandom that can only praise a Fire Emblem if they are talking shit about another Fire Emblem game. There's a persistent sense of victimhood, for lack of a better term, among some fans who that Nintendo and Intelligent Systems are actively trying to destroy the series they supposedly love. This leads to obsessive behavior without being able to move on with their lives.

Not that this behavior is exclusive to within the Fire Emblem series but because of its relatively smaller fanbase compared to other Nintendo franchises, negativity feels more pervasive. For example, it could be hard to find good Youtube content on the series because there's only a select number of Youtubers that focus on the series compared to something like Mario or Zelda and unfortunately a lot of these Youtubers focus on being negative.

The series is in the healthiest spot its ever been. The series is constantly changing things up so if one Fire Emblem game isn't your favorite, there's a high chance that the next one will try something new that you might like. But so much of the discourse just focuses on how this game or that game has ruined the series forever.

Sorry for the rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom